• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Wow congratulations, I knew the series was popular but wow those sales are way better then I realized.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I've got two words for you: Project Wingman

store.steampowered.com

Project Wingman on Steam

Project Wingman is a flight action game that lets you take the seat of advanced fighter jets and become a true ace. Fight in various missions and gamemodes ranging from intense aerial dogfights to large scale ground assault in an alternate scorched earth setting.

It's basically an Ace Combat "fangame" made by 3 guys (main dev, a writer and a composer). It's got everything a good AC game needs: lots of planes (including some endgame fictional superplanes), a war that just escalates beyond belief, a soundtrack that would make Keiki Kobayashi proud...

Oh, and did I mention it's FULLY PLAYABLE IN VR? Because it's fully playable in VR.
3 people? that can't be true!!

Sep 29, 2020
That's great, I've bought it and the DLC on all three systems. Love it but still haven't really played more than a handful missions.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Amazing game, shame I only decided to check it out when it was on gamepass. I'll probably pull the trigger on AC8 though.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
AC7 is my least liked Ace Combat, but good news for the franchise nonetheless.

Hopefully AC8 ends up being closer to the PS2 games.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Very deserved and the support has been great. Hope it means the franchise continues into this new generation and that we perhaps get some remasters or remakes.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I need to go back to this. I played a couple of hours on Gamepass and it didn't click the way I thought it would, but it also feels like it's the type of game I could really get into.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them, but the missions in 7 was probably some of the worst in the series. Left such a bad taste in my mouth that I had to unpack my PS2, hook it up and replayed AC4 to get my head right.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
This was my first Ace game and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'll be there day one if there is a new one.

MoonCoffee8

Banned
Aug 30, 2020
Ace Combat 7 was my introduction to the series and it is beyond brilliant. My only issue are the scripted boss segments, which need to go in the next entry. I will support anything they make.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they make a new Ridge Racer then hopefully it will be built on top of Ridge Racer 4 and 5.

Non of that boost/Nitrous stuff.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Great news, I genuinely thought this series was dead after the bizarre choice to go Xbox exclusive with 6 and that awful AC Horizon.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to rage quit the game during mission 7 to prevent my controller from flying through the window so it def. wasn't for me but I'm glad the game did well and goddamn if it doesn't have awesome music.

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Deserved.

Perfect game for japanese drama and military planes lovers with no time on their hands to spend on serious flight sims.

And best soundtrack of the generation too.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Welcome back. It was scary there for a moment with only some handheld/mobile/F2P and Ass Horizon to sustain us.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I preordered and played it on PS4, played it to completion when it came out on GamePass, then double-dipped and purchased the Xbox One version in case it gets removed from GamePass soon. I absolutely loved the game and am glad it sold decently.
Here's hoping they're working on AC8. Or better yet, full-on remakes or at least ports of some of the older games. My jumping-on point was AC6 so I never got to play Zero.

May 5, 2018
Awesome! Great news. I was worried about this game sales wise but looks like its done very well for itself! Here's hoping we get AC8 in this new generation of consoles! Gimme more air fights in Strangereal.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to rage quit the game during mission 7 to prevent my controller from flying through the window so it def. wasn't for me but I'm glad the game did well and goddamn if it doesn't have awesome music.

There is definitely lots of frustration when playing the first time through the campaign but it's worth sticking through for sure.

Most/all of those problems go away once you get better planes/power-ups/specials.

Missions that were annoying previously become fun, relaxing and very replayable.

Got the Rafale about half way through the game and it was smooth sailing from there till the end.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes! This is one of my favourite series so this is only good news.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this franchise was dead years ago. So happy Ass Horizon didn't kill it.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is definitely lots of frustration when playing the first time through the campaign but it's worth sticking through for sure.

Most/all of those problems go away once you get better planes/power-ups.

Missions that were annoying previously become fun, relaxing and very replayable.

Got the Rafale about half way through the game and it was smooth sailing from there till the end.

I gave it several chances but there was always something that prevented me from sticking with it. Minor and major frustrations like missions being timed, being unable to get accustomed to the controls, the game seemingly not standing by its own rules (like enemy planes instantly decelerating and staying right below you no matter how fast or slow you fly) and being unable to change the HUD's color (I play on an LG C9 and the green hud becomes practically invisible in bright areas).

Maybe I'll pick it up again when the inevitable AC8 is close to release.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave it several chances but there was always something that prevented me from sticking with it. Minor and major frustrations like missions being timed, being unable to get accustomed to the controls, the game seemingly not standing by its own rules (like enemy planes instantly decelerating and staying right below you no matter how fast or slow you fly) and being unable to change the HUD's color (I play on an LG C9 and the green hud becomes practically invisible in bright areas).

When you do give it another shot, check out the Ace Combat 101 series on youtube (3 parts), it's a great rundown on the gameplay essentials/mechanics/controls of the series.

Will definitely help you enjoy the series more.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting because some claimed flight genre was dead and not fitting for big new games, especially when someone asks for a new Star Fox game. I hope who's sitting on the genre gets the message.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018

Something I noticed about the controls (don't know if it was your case) is that a lot of people used the standard controls instead of the expert controls (while in fact Project Aces made a mistake by calling these "expert controls" because it's rather standard = novice, and expert = standard , and this caused some controversy regarding the IGN 7/10 review of the game) and also don't know that they can push Y or Triangle button to move the camera and target the enemy easily (which helps a lot).

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Still not available on PC gamepass. Still waiting for these certain high profile games to make the subscription worthwhile on PC.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I'm still salty they never patched it on the upgraded consoles or even on the next gen ones.

Played it on the One X last year and looked like a PS3 game (from an IQ perspective: pixelated shadows, massive pop-in, jaggies) most of the time. I dont remember such massive pop-in on my PS2-CRT combo while playing AC4 and AC5/Zero all those years ago...

Its a shame because the game feels great but the IQ never looks good. I want to return on the Series X but ...no patch yet.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
That's quite a lot actually. I'd guess a million max. Seems like people hunger for these arcade style games still.

Now give me a pure VR Ace Combat :)

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Why ? The gaming market is much bigger than during the PS2 days and publisher can sell their games for years thanks through digital distributing.

Either way great result, for AC7 - cant wait to see a next-gen version.

Gaming as a business is bigger, but Ace Combat as an IP is less mainstream now than it was when 4 came out. 7 was a big risk and almost didnt get approved if I recall correctly.

Whilst PS4 has done very well, franchises that have been going since the PS1/PS2 era rarely outsell those instalments nowdays, Gran Turismo for example.