• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I went for a drive through Allegheny National Forest this weekend and pretty much every other house I passed had Trump signs up. It's shocking how fully these people are committed to a party that does nothing but destroy their chances of enjoying a dignified life.
Whatever it takes to make sure black folks are more miserable than them.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What the heck is "other" at 11 percent? Does that include undecided?
Unfortunately yes. How anyone can be 'undecided' at this point is mind boggling but it is what it is.

There's also a couple third party candidates apparently. I recently saw the name "Jorgensen" on sample ballots. Whoever the hell that is, I have no idea lol.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
I went for a drive through Allegheny National Forest this weekend and pretty much every other house I passed had Trump signs up. It's shocking how fully these people are committed to a party that does nothing but destroy their chances of enjoying a dignified life.
Trump promised Coal was somehow magically coming back under him. For a lot of people in West PA they'd sacrifice their firstborn to have that dead fucking industry back.

I do know some people out there have over the years finally opened their eyes to see the lying sack of shit Trump is, I just hope it's enough.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana

All depends on how the Philly burbs turnout, like it always does in PA politics.

And Biden is winning it 54-30

this dude is literally every 60s/70s guy in PA lol. he's gonna win seniors and that will be the difference.

he's a native son compared to HRC which will matter. Pennsyltucky will go hard, but there's not enough vote there no matter if turnout is 10000%

PA overall is a pretty liberal/moderate state, except for the crazies in the middle who are far-right. Before Trump, it had gone reliably Blue for many, many years.

Last edited:

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately yes. How anyone can be 'undecided' at this point is mind boggling but it is what it is.

There's also a couple third party candidates apparently. I recently saw the name "Jorgensen" on sample ballots. Whoever the hell that is, I have no idea lol.
I think that's the Libertarian candidate, who likely siphons disenfranchised Republicans away from Trump.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
But Jesus Christ people, stop using yard signs, rally crowd sizes, and fucking boat parades as your evidence that Trump's got this in the bag. If you're a Trumpist in 2020, you aren't silent. You're loud as hell, but that doesn't mean you're part of the majority.

I've lived here all my life. I know the people around me. I know how my area voted in the past. A Republican hasn't won my county since 1984, and that includes Trump. But it was fucking close, something like a 15 point R swing, and he did win my town which, again, hadn't happened in decades. His supporters here ARE enthusiastic, yes, but there's also a lot more of them then any other R candidate has had in my lifetime. The proof was obvious on election day in 2016; I went into my usual polling place early in the morning before work, and the line was out the door, which was insane. I'm talking 5x the normal turnout at that time. Given everything the GOP had done to assassinate Hillary's character, I knew that it wasn't for her, and the results reflected that; somehow, in this extremely blue collar coal mining town that isn't more then 10 minutes from Scranton where she had so many ties (hell, one of my aunts took care of her parents grave for years), Trump won.

Now, I'm not saying that any of the physical evidence shows an uptick in Trump support, and yes, I realized that the 2020 election landscape is very different from 2016, but at the very least, Trump has held onto the majority of people that he won over back then in my area. The difference, which I pointed out, is that I am seeing far more Biden signs then what Hillary had. People are much more enthused with Biden this time around; the same yards that were blank are now clearly displaying support. One way or the other, people are more into this race then any I've seen in the past.
I'm originally from NEPA and the area pretty much handed 2016 to Trump. It had the highest concentration of Obama > Trump voters in the entire country. I'm very concerned people are taking the fact that Biden was born there for granted, Hillary had tenuous ties to Scranton as well and it certainly didn't help her out. NEPA used to be a spot of blue in the red landscape between Philly and PGH but I think it's a lost cause this year and we need to rack up huge margins in the big cities to counteract it.

Lackawanna stayed blue but the margin shrunk tremendously, and Luzerne went red, so I can agree that it may have tipped the state over the edge. I'm more hopeful this time around, though, as there's a lot more Dem energy this time around. I don't feel like there's been an uptick in Trump supporters, just Trump support, if that makes any sense. The same voices are just louder; hell there's a Trump merch tent that just popped up next to my workplace. But the Blue support does feel greater, and speaking with people has me thinking there won't be any reluctance on Dem voters to stay silent this time.

Oct 27, 2017
I live in the Philly suburbs and there are no Trump signs in my area. Like, at all. Even driving around other suburban counties, I've hardly seen any Trump signs. It's primarily been fields of Biden signs and signs for local/PA Dems.
Same here and that is my experience, no Trump signs at all. Not a lot of Biden signs either but people don't wear their political affiliation on there sleeves around here.

I think Biden is going to take PA

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I've certainly tried, and have had some good success with at least getting people to register for mail-in ballots given PA finally moved over to a model that didn't require an excuse to get one. The current worry is our Republican legislature trying to fuck with the Governor in some way, or some sort of outside GOP lawsuit.

PA can be VERY backwoods depending on the area. The old joke is you have Philly on one side, Pittsburgh on the other, and Kentucky in the middle, which is very true but also misses how pervasive that redneck mindset is up and down the Scranton-WB metro and into the Lehigh Valley to Allentown. There's a lot of shit people here. I mean, I'm sure there's a lot of shit people everywhere but at least the Confederate flag wavers in Georgia can correctly guess what side their state fought for in the Civil War.
I think every state has their hicks. The rural/city divide seems to grow more and more pronounced, even as you would think technology and access to transportation would decrease the pressures that drive the divide.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
This. He will do whatever it takes to steal the election and it will probably work.

It's possible, but I think it's way less likely than you think. If only because he needs everyone involved to be not only complicit but commit crimes themselves, and should they get caught/fail it's gonna be felony election interference if not worse for everyone involved. Now, within Trump's White House, that might just fall under business as usual, but to actually pull this off across all the bodies needed to steal the election without worrying about whistleblowing would be pretty miraculous. He might as well have a coup if he actually had the power to do that.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is part of it.
newrepublic.com

The Fall of Nate Silver

His data journalism blog, FiveThirtyEight, is a political website with no politics—or rather, no politics beyond a mute approval of the status quo.
I don't think I understand the criticism here, stats nerd made a business out of being a stat nerd.

Is the complaint that he isn't using his platform to advance political ideals?

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Vote! Lives and democracy in the US (and around the world) literally depend on it.

It's clear that Trump isn't planning on "winning" by conventional means anymore. It will be a long fight in courts and it will be an opinion war.

This must be a blowout vote in order to drag this fascist out of the WH.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
So he's gonna lose then.
But the crowds of Trump supporters in PA scares me.

C5x9MZN.jpg
Keep in mind. That picture is a VERY small portion of PA's population.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I don't think I understand the criticism here, stats nerd made a business out of being a stat nerd.

Is the complaint that he isn't using his platform to advance political ideals?
That's what the blurb associated with the link would suggest, but the article actually itemizes several trash opinions that Silver has apparently shared.

Oct 25, 2017

No third parties in PA this time around. A couple of Dem's fought the addition due to some procedural stuff and won.

Edit...wait, Libertarian, yeah he might still be on, but that takes away from Trump. The Green candidate was pulled from the ballot.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
On a positive note, looking at the winding path graphic (a beautiful design) that shows that Biden has a path that precludes some of the stunts w/r to faithless electors.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about you guys but in my area I'm seeing lots of signs in people's yards saying Happy Halloween and Trick R' Treat. I think that says a lot about whose going to win this year.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
On that note, Fmr. PA governor, and Fmr. Homeland Security Secretary, Tom Ridge, came out yesterday to endorse Biden over Trump.

He's a Republican.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
One ill portent out of that otherwise great poll is that Biden leads 75-18 among voters who have requested an absentee ballot, while Trump leads by 8 among voters who have not done so.

That's why I'm really hoping Biden wins Florida. They count their mail-in ballots early and will likely be able to declare a winner on election night itself without a drawn-out counting process. If it's impossible for Trump to win without PA, it's inconceivable that he wins without Florida.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. None? That was 218k votes in 2016

No Green Party according to Ballotpedia and the news I've been seeing. I should have my mail-in ballot in a couple of days, so I could confirm then. The lawsuit actually held up the printing and mailing process.

Edit: Looks like Libertarian was 150K in 2016, and Green + others was 120K. So hopefully the Libertarian votes stay the same, and the others go to Biden.

Bonezz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I live in western PA and can tell you that pretty much everything north of Pittsburgh is Trump signs everywhere and Trump 2020 painted on the side of buildings. Can't say I've even seen a Biden sign in months. There's a lot of "Support the police" signs too and probably about twice a week I get a letter in the mail from the local PD asking to donate money for BP vests.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i can't conceive joe fuckng biden losing PA. if this were 2016 maybe

but armchair take, i dunno how PA electorally metes out super knowledgeably

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
My thing is, wasn't 538 wrong about Hilary?

they were spooky accurate every other election. after 2012 nate even thought about shutting it down because it could negatively affect democracy at some point

2016 statistically speaking will probably be the weirdest election of our lifetime and then some

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My parents are in the process of retiring and moving from PA to Massachusetts, and have decided to delay their final month of renting their new place so they can vote... They were planning on leaving in August, but are going to December just to cast their two votes. Amazing.
reporting you for clear voter fraud!!!!!!!!!!

Real talk, do these models factor in the rampant election fuckery going on? All the disenfranchisement. Covid?

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
I'm concerned because I don't think the electoral map is going to change much if at all.

Michigan will probably go back to blue, Wisconsin is a tossup, but I don't see how Biden wins Pennsylvania. Without PA I don't think there is anyway to do it, the next most likely state is Arizona but that would be a 269-269 tie and a Trump victory.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

1 in 5 is still a shot though. The current model now bakes in race tightening the further out from the election it is to counteract it. So now Trump's chances are like 12.5% if they released it.

What people are absolutely wrong about is when they say polls are wrong. The polls in 2016 had the states where Trump one was tossups or barely leading hillary. This time Biden is up 7-10% in michigan, wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Minnesota.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
reporting you for clear voter fraud!!!!!!!!!!

Real talk, do these models factor in the rampant election fuckery going on? All the disenfranchisement. Covid?

I think only disenfranchisement at best might be factored in. There's no reason for them to factor in fuckery or COVID.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
A good thing to keep in mind is the fact that winning PA says a lot about how a candidate is performing nation-wide with certain demographics.

If he loses PA, it means he has lost those demos he would need to win other states. It's not just about what PA's actual votes does for the EC total.

So it's good to encourage voting everywhere, and PA is a very important state for this election, but it's not just about winning the state, it's about winning the kind of people nation-wide that determine a victory in PA.

Deleted member 14887

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm concerned because I don't think the electoral map is going to change much if at all.

Michigan will probably go back to blue, Wisconsin is a tossup, but I don't see how Biden wins Pennsylvania. Without PA I don't think there is anyway to do it, the next most likely state is Arizona but that would be a 269-269 tie and a Trump victory.

projects.fivethirtyeight.com

Pennsylvania : President: general election Polls

The latest political polls and polling averages from FiveThirtyEight.

Seems he's doing alright sure not as big a gap as I'd like to see

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Not really; people just confounded Trump having a low chance of victory with having no chance of victory, and then got whiplash when he actually pulled a win. That's why, while this is certainly good news, it's nothing to celebrate quite yet as he still has a chance, and we already know through experience that a chance is enough for him to win again.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

How is Wisconsin a toss-up? Biden's leading by double digits.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017

You don't see how Biden wins PA?

Huh?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

If anything, 2016 vindicated the 538 model. Nate gave Trump a better chance than anybody else did, and Trump only won the election because some very specific places swung his way. Trump's victory was a fluke and 538 accounts for flukes. 70% ain't 100%.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
undecideds are quite high in that poll, so gonna lean on +9 being a bit on the high side.
Definitely. I just honestly think instead of tightening towards the election with Trump, we're gonna see the opposite. Based off his home state and recent tax news.

Crossing fingers. I have had PA's 538 page up on refresh for two weeks now lol