• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Bosch

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
I just hope the new game use a new engine for everything.

Story wise I think most of BGS games are pretty bad wilth blend plots. This they will need to improve a lot because games like W3, RDR2 and AC Odissey set the bar really high.

But in terms of imerssive world's they always did a impressive job and I hope they improve even more on that.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I liked FO4 even though it was a step down for them. I think BGS is still fully capable of making great games. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Starfield is like.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 4 is fantastic and better than F3 at literally everything, so yeah, they can deliver good games just fine. Pretty sure all the F4 hatred gotta be a meme I'm not in on. I'm 20h into the game and it's mind-blowingly good.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Currently playing through Skyrim again to get my fix.

Damn shame but it's done nothing but amplify my expectations for ES VI.

Deleted member 33567

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
As long as they are using the time to make it good, then fine. skyrim is one of my favourite games, but things have moved on a lot since it released.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Fallout 4, but it was bogged down with all-too familiar jank and limitations.

Please dear lord let TES 6 be on a legitimately new engine.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
What? Of course my opinion matters when I talk about my disappointment in their output. I haven't made a definitive statement and if it seemed like it I'm sorry.
In my opinion BGS needs to prove that they still can make a good single-player RPG. And I'm right now not sure they can deliver. Skyrim in space won't be enough in the current gaming landscape, at least that's what I'm thinking.
They also really need a new engine or at least fix the many problems with the current one, in my opinion.
You're entitled to your opinion, of course. I agree with you on Fallout 4-- I didn't like it much, but I still found it better than Obsidian's The Outer Worlds (which was painfully mediocre and boring; FO4 is at least a good shooter), and yet I'm not giving up on either developer, because I know both BGS and Obsidian can do better.

My point is, it's strange to say that BGS is incapable of making a great game again just because you didn't like their last game ( FO76 isn't a BGS proper game). Every studio is entitled to produce a mediocre game once in a while. In my opinion Bethesda has always been rather uninspired and bad at understanding Fallout IP, and I'm not going to judge their ability to make a good game by their Fallout games.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Because they've spent this gen trying to make ESO and Fo76 a thing, unfortunately. They want that constant stream of revenue.

I can't blame them for chasing it, but it's not what I want from Bethesda.

Next gen will be a big one for them though, with a new Elder Scrolls and that new Sci-Fi game.

Jan 2, 2018
You're entitled to your opinion, of course. I agree with you on Fallout 4-- I didn't like it much, but I still found it better than Obsidian's The Outer Worlds (which was painfully mediocre and boring; FO4 is at least a good shooter), and yet I'm not giving up on either developer, because I know both BGS and Obsidian can do better.

My point is, it's strange to say that BGS is incapable of making a great game again just because you didn't like their last game ( FO76 isn't a BGS proper game). Every studio is entitled to produce a mediocre game once in a while. In my opinion Bethesda has always been rather uninspired and bad at understanding Fallout IP, and I'm not going to judge their ability to make a good game by their Fallout games.

In this case I just prepare to be disappointed, and perhaps (hopefully) they'll suprise me. I'm not boycotting them, but at the moment I just don't have enough faith. Nothing more really.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Thank god for that. As Fallout 4 proved the jump from Skyrim would be so minimal that I'm glad they're taking their time.

Blow us away Bethesda.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
They showed fallout 4 for the first time only months before it came out. Why on earth would anyone think just because we haven't seen it means it isn't coming.
Because they are releasing starfield first and we havent even seen that yet. Starfield is the main game bgs is currently working on. ES6 is very far away.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Are they still sticking to the Creation engine? That shit should had been dumped ages ago.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Yep gutted. Skyrim is my favourite game ever - desperate to play the next in the series.

I'm getting older and thus less time for games damnit!

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I have never thought about that but this whole generation passed without an original single player The Elder Scrolls and I believer we are at least 2 years away from a new one.

Pretty shocking considering Skyrim is one of the most profitable games of all time. Any other publisher would have forced Todd Howard to make a sequel at gunpoint. TESVI is way more than two years away.

Do you guys believe Bethesda can still delivery a great game?

Yes, of course. The team making Starfield did Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Fallout 4. The group that made Fallout 76 was largely separate from them, even if the company name was the same.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 4 is fantastic and better than F3 at literally everything, so yeah, they can deliver good games just fine. Pretty sure all the F4 hatred gotta be a meme I'm not in on. I'm 20h into the game and it's mind-blowingly good.
Fallout 4 gets worse the longer you play it. You'll start to see the issues.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I think Bethesda will want to replicate Oblivion's success by launching Starfield in the first year of the new consoles. I think it'll launch anywhere between April and November 2021.
I just hope the new game use a new engine for everything.

Please dear lord let TES 6 be on a legitimately new engine.

Are they still sticking to the Creation engine? That shit should had been dumped ages ago.
giphy.gif

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
If I am going to be honest, I don't think I care anymore. I feel like I've burned out on Bethesda's games.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it won't be a "new engine" but you can hold out hope this iteration of gamebryo/creation/whatever is halfway decent. they certainly have had enough time

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I could see them doing an Retooled Special edition of Oblivion before they get 6 out the door. They have almost run out of things to port skyrim too.

I imagine Skyrim on mobile will be the last release, the ps5/XSX will be all via backwards compatibility.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep and it sucks. Should have had another studio do something like Obsidian did with New Vegas.

Lol at everyone thinking BGS developed the trash fire that is 76. You all realize they basically just helped with the overworld right? Like the only thing good about the game.

The hate towards BGS on Era is meme territory at this point.

no once you release a bad game then you can never make a good game ever again these are the rules

Lol

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Because they've spent this gen trying to make ESO and Fo76 a thing, unfortunately. They want that constant stream of revenue.

I can't blame them for chasing it, but it's not what I want from Bethesda.

Next gen will be a big one for them though, with a new Elder Scrolls and that new Sci-Fi game.

Please don't put ESO in the same category or group as Fo76. ESO is actually a legitimately good game and should have been called TES6, like how FInal Fantasy's MMO was called FF11 and FF14.

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they can still release a good ES game. My question is can they release a game that runs well on a decent engine? I would say the last time I felt they could was with Morrowind (still had jank of course).

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah it's honestly really sad because I have such fond memories of playing Skyrim when it came out but that was so long ago now.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, yeah, pretty wild to think that this entire generation went by without an Elder Scrolls or GTA game.

I think the nature of backwards compatibility and re-master/re-releases really did influence this. There wasn't a single dedicated GTA or Elder Scrolls game released for this generation, and yet both titles ended up being some of the highest selling and most played titles on this generation's hardware. I think this will probably begin to be the norm. Imagine if one of the highest grossing games on Playstation 2 was a Playstation game. GTAV has gone onto break so many revenue and sales records, and yet, it was a game developed for the last generation.

I think this will go onto be the new normal. ES and GTA are probably the best examples of it today, though.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Fallout 4 was announced 6 months before release. I wouldn't expect any big info drop on Starfield to happen much more than 6 months to release. My memory is that Bethesda liked that kind of hype to release cycle.

The difference is Bethesda would really like people to start buying the new consoles in anticipation of Starfield, so that the install base is there.

I could see them giving people an early look at it at E3 or Sony's big PS5 blowout. I think it's likely to be one of the first next-gen-exclusive games, so I think the console vendors would really like to show it off, and I think Bethesda would really like people to adopt these new consoles quickly.

Oct 29, 2017
But we got three different new remasters of Skyrim!

Skyrim Remastered
Skyrim VR
Skyrim Switch

😫
Don't you groan face about those, mate. Skyrim on the go, Skyrim but real life, Skyrim but it doesn't look like utter shite. Truly things to treasure.

Don't even need Elder Scrolls 6, just play the one game a lot of different ways.

😢

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the lack of Elder Scrolls is the big reason i've come away feeling like there was a lack of big WRPGs this gen. Most of the huge & big-budget ones came at the start of the gen with Dragon Age: Inquisition and Witcher 3, and then it's been pretty quiet. We've had some good AA RPGs to fill that gap, stuff like Outward and Greedfall, and lots of good CRPGs, but I miss having a huge tentpole Elder Scrolls game.

Hopefully we'll start getting more of those in the next gen with Starfield and whatever Playground is working on, and the rumored AAA rpgs that Obsidian and InXile have in the works. We also have Cyberpunk later this year which should be great.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Not counting ESO (and GTA Online for those who are saying GTA) is a silly thing that shows your age.
This.

ESO was released at the start of the gen, and there are multiple expansions released since then.

I think the lack of Elder Scrolls is the big reason i've come away feeling like there was a lack of big WRPGs this gen. Most of the huge & big-budget ones came at the start of the gen with Dragon Age: Inquisition and Witcher 3, and then it's been pretty quiet. We've had some good AA RPGs to fill that gap, stuff like Outward and Greedfall, and lots of good CRPGs, but I miss having a huge tentpole Elder Scrolls game.

Hopefully we'll start getting more of those in the next gen with Starfield and whatever Playground is working on, and the rumored AAA rpgs that Obsidian and InXile have in the works. We also have Cyberpunk later this year which should be great.
You forget about Mass Effect Andromeda. There are also RPG-lites like Horizon and AC Odyssey.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Honestly I never played ME:A due to the reception. AC: Odyssey and Horizon certainly have elements, but neither really scratched the itch like dedicated RPGs do. At least for me.
Yeah, I get you. For me, there's at least Kingdom Come that successfully stretched that Elder Scrolls itch for me. While GreedFall was a good alternative to the missing Dragon Age.

Thankfully we've had quite a bunch of indie and AA RPGs this gen to fill that gap.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Given how Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 turned out, this is a very good thing. Hopefully they've learned their lessons (but I personally doubt it).

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Yes, I think they are capable of it. I think people are really quick to just shit on them these days - with good reason admittedly. But I firmly believe that Fo76 was and still is ultimately a spin-off. I don't think it was ever sold as anything but.

It's been years and there still isn't really anything Skyrim like on the market.

How does f76 being spin off explains f4 being so bad, with atrocious dialogue system that eventually ruined the game for me so badly, I sold my copy?
Or skyrim being too shallow to return to without dozens of gigs of mods?