• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to push SF6 as a next-gen launch or even pseudo-launch title has generally made sense given the long arcs of redemption both for SFV and Capcom as a whole. Hell, it's only more appropriate now that we know about the Champion Edition: no better way to leave the game in eternal maintenance mode than with a SKU that gives players damn near everything to play with. The issues with a 2021 release have generally come down to logistics: how much time and effort Capcom would need to achieve it (especially since SFV's biggest issue at launch was it clearly being uncooked), how much Capcom really cared about hitting that launch window, and ultimately questions on how willing Capcom was to go all-in on next-gen and how likely SF6 would be cross-gen for late adopters.

Those logistical issues had me leaning more towards 2022 as of late, but the implication of them gunning for 2021 does bring some interesting implications. With how much Capcom has clearly catered to and pushed for cutting-edge, especially with the RE Engine as of late, it implies that Capcom is both more ready than people realized to jump all-in on next-gen and potentially more willing than people would expect to jump all-in right from the gate. Usually one would expect companies to go cross-gen for the first 2-3 years to catch later/delayed adopters, but with next-gen's heavy emphasis on backwards compatibility we might potentially see the opposite, where companies rapidly switch to the new systems and use that to entice people to adopt faster.

.....I'm kinda rambling a bit, but I'm hoping I'm making someone at least gets what I'm trying to say with that last bit.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
531c9d2fa33f1c15401f0323dc8b3cee.jpg
It doesn't look "bad", but it certainly doesn't look particularly good either (be it in terms of model quality, textures, artstyle...).

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Trying to push SF6 as a next-gen launch or even pseudo-launch title has generally made sense given the long arcs of redemption both for SFV and Capcom as a whole. Hell, it's only more appropriate now that we know about the Champion Edition: no better way to leave the game in eternal maintenance mode than with a SKU that gives players damn near everything to play with. The issues with a 2021 release have generally come down to logistics: how much time and effort Capcom would need to achieve it (especially since SFV's biggest issue at launch was it clearly being uncooked), how much Capcom really cared about hitting that launch window, and ultimately questions on how willing Capcom was to go all-in on next-gen and how likely SF6 would be cross-gen for late adopters.

Those logistical issues had me leaning more towards 2022 as of late, but the implication of them gunning for 2021 does bring some interesting implications. With how much Capcom has clearly catered to and pushed for cutting-edge, especially with the RE Engine as of late, it implies that Capcom is both more ready than people realized to jump all-in on next-gen and potentially more willing than people would expect to jump all-in right from the gate. Usually one would expect companies to go cross-gen for the first 2-3 years to catch later/delayed adopters, but with next-gen's heavy emphasis on backwards compatibility we might potentially see the opposite, where companies rapidly switch to the new systems and use that to entice people to adopt faster.

.....I'm kinda rambling a bit, but I'm hoping I'm making someone at least gets what I'm trying to say with that last bit.
Likewise, since we're already starting to see games that are exclusively next-gen like Godfall & Hellblade II, I wouldn't be surprised if SFVI follows suit.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
I'd be fine with a 2021 release.

Count me as another that believes 2022 is too far. I don't think SFV is going to be getting a lot of content in 2020. Champion Edition seems like the definitive version.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I think early 2021 is a feasible launch for SFVI. With the haphazard "we're doing things differently" season 4 refusal to commit to a full character season ahead of time and lack of communication, it feels like Capcom was already putting the majority of their resources into starting work on SFVI. Capcom probably has been spending 2019 reviewing SFV feedback and working on design concepts for SFVI. Now that the PS5 dev kits are out, Capcom is probably already beginning the work of building the game itself.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think early 2021 is a feasible launch for SFVI. With the haphazard "we're doing things differently" season 4 refusal to commit to a full character season ahead of time and lack of communication, it feels like Capcom was already putting the majority of their resources into starting work on SFVI. Capcom probably has been spending 2019 reviewing SFV feedback and working on design concepts for SFVI. Now that the PS5 dev kits are out, Capcom is probably already beginning the work of building the game itself.
If they actually want SFVI to be fully featured at launch, they would've had to start active development back in 2018. That would give them over 2 years of dev time. Somewhere in 2019 to January/February 2021 is cutting it really close.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
I would love to have my time skip Street Fighter.

Older Ryu. Let the kids be the new stars retaining their parents moveset (with their own unique spins or course).

Amy (Guile's daughter)
Mel (Ken's son)
Etc etc

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I would love to have my time skip Street Fighter.

Older Ryu. Let the kids be the new stars retaining their parents moveset (with their own unique spins or course).

Amy (Guile's daughter)
Mel (Ken's son)
Etc etc
That would be amazing, but also quite the risky move. Even putting aside SFIII, that didn't end well for SCV if I'm not mistaken.

Maximilian & Vesper's Thoughts on the Possible SFVI Hint
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sorry about the bump, but both Maximilian & Vesper gave their thoughts on the possible hint of SFVI coming in 2021 in case you want to watch them.

Max also covers the topic of Capcom's recent string of trademarks.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I really hate how Max embellishes and twists things because his memory sucks and how he passes off his recollections as fact. The realistic version of SFV wasn't finished and we didn't see any of it until SFV was out. Also, SFV did not change "really fast".

The above is why you should take any of his rumor videos with a truckload of salt. They're unreliable and misleading. In other words, typical YouTuber shit except its really disappointing here because you'd hope someone with a large audience and years of running a good channel would do better than mislead his audience with bullshit.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate how Max embellishes and twists things because his memory sucks and how he passes off his recollections as fact. The realistic version of SFV wasn't finished and we didn't see any of it until SFV was out. Also, SFV did not change "really fast".

The above is why you should take any of his rumor videos with a truckload of salt. They're unreliable and misleading. In other words, typical YouTuber shit except its really disappointing here because you'd hope someone with a large audience and years of running a good channel would do better than mislead his audience with bullshit.
what's worse is that it seems like people come here and regurgitate whatever he says. I don't think the majority of his watchers even play any fighting games.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

If Max had been talking about the Capcom Cup 2014 version of SFV, which was kinda different from even the public beta that came out eight months later (mechanically more than visually), it would be understandable to say that it changed kinda fast.

I'd like to give Max the benefit of the doubt and assume his wires got super crossed because claiming that an obvious early mock up/prototype was a fully developed game is very silly. Not sure why he's claiming it's proof that SFV is very low budget either but whatever.

what's worse is that it seems like people come here and regurgitate whatever he says. I don't think the majority of his watchers even play any fighting games.
For better or for worse Max is the virtual ambassador for the entire genre lol.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Well, unit sales are not entirely comparable since SF4 forced you to buy a new update/revision every time (Vanilla, Super, Arcade, Ultra), and SFV does not. SFV just has a very different business model.

Anyways, hopefully SFVI is on PS/XBOX/PC this time, with full crossplay across all platforms. The more the merrier.
Capcom's Platinum charts don't include DLC upgrades, only full revision unit sales. And the only time that was really forced was going from SF4 to SSF4, otherwise I'd assume people just bought the DLC upgrade.

Edit, just to round them up:

Street Fighter IV (360/PS3) 3,400,000
Super Street Fighter IV (360/PS3) 1,900,000
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (3DS) 1,300,000
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (360/PS3) 1,100,000
Ultra Street Fighter IV (360/PS3/PC) 1,400,000
Total: 9,100,000*

Street Fighter V (PS4/PC) 3,900,000**

*Missing data for SS4AE (PC) and USF4 (PS4). Also presumably excludes free copies bundled with SF30thAC on XBO (unless under 100k shipped/downloaded). Mobile versions not included.

**Capcom's accounting methods changed to include rebranded upgrade revised releases (but not dlc upgrades) with SFV's total as one release. Before the change (with AE) it was at 2,200,000 iirc. This change also applied to other current gen releases such as RE7 (Gold) and MHW (Iceborne).

Last edited:

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready for SF6 tbh. I had fun with SF5 but I really dislike a lot of the stuff it focused on. Suppose it's foolish of me to expect them to not do the same thing again with 6 but hey at least it's a fresh start.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019

Dude's not perfect. It's his opinion and recollection of the events. You should always take rumors with a grain of salt, no matter the person that presents it.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019

We'll have to wait a few years for the first hand accounts to surface. I feel and say what I do for very good reason. In due time, I'd like you to remember this thread and what you say, and revisit it when that happens.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Early 2021, Street Fighter 5 Ultimate Edition, PS5 remastered with (almost) everything on the disc
Late 2021, SF6

I could see it happening.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
If SFVI isn't available at the start of 2021, they'd stick with SFV for that year. And at that point, you'd be better off waiting until 2022 to launch SFVI.

Well, who knows. Very early 2021 might be too early for SF6. And remastering SF5 would be great practice for SF6. So maybe they could go another year with SF5 in spite of the auto-qualification change.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Well, who knows. Very early 2021 might be too early for SF6. And remastering SF5 would be great practice for SF6. So maybe they could go another year with SF5 in spite of the auto-qualification change.
There's no real point in doing a PS5 remaster when the system is already backwards compatible with PS4 games. They can't even do the "All DLC included" sales pitch since that's already what they're doing with Champion Edition.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I have feeling it will be another IP besides SF that be Capcom's new e-sports head until SF6 actually does appear some more years down the road

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
There's no real point in doing a PS5 remaster when the system is already backwards compatible with PS4 games. They can't even do the "All DLC included" sales pitch since that's already what they're doing with Champion Edition.

They can do the "All DLC included" pitch for people like me, who want it on the disc instead of a download voucher.

As for the remaster thing, we don't know anything about how those will be handled on PS5 so that is all speculation of course.

This is why I have feeling it will be another IP besides SF that be Capcom's new e-sports head until SF6 actually does appear some more years down the road

From their development schedule it looks like they must be developing something. We'll probably know more in half a year, maybe even sooner.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If it was something else, SFV would still be there. I honestly can't see any scenario where a SF game of some kind isn't the main event of the CPT. Maybe another game could be there alongside SF, but not as the only game in the CPT.

They can do the "All DLC included" pitch for people like me, who want it on the disc instead of a download voucher.

As for the remaster thing, we don't know anything about how those will be handled on PS5 so that is all speculation of course.
With the way SFV is structured, that's not gonna happen.