• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Love AirBNB. Ultra convenient and a nice option against hotels and exclusively stay in them when i do personal travel because they offer better amenities and price than the vast majority of hotels do.

I also have my own airbnb's but all of my bookings for this time of year were months or years in advance so i havent seen much of an impact. I have refunded a few cancellations because of Coronavirus and will take a hit in the income it provides me but I also own the properties free and clear so it's not a huge issue right now.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
This is a harsh shock and that'll drive prices lower than they otherwise would be, even with all of the extra rental properties...but it'll probably start going back up again quickly afterward if airbnb doesn't die.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
So the greedy folks that were going around buying up any property to rent them out as AirBnB's are going to get fucked over this by letting them actually be rented to people who need to live there? Excellent. I hope it's a step towards fixing the out of control monthly rent in high COL areas, and AirBnB start becoming less of a thing.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I live in Nashville and personally know friends who were kicked out of their homes so new Airbnbs could go up. Absolutely disgusting shit and hopefully this levels things out a bit. Rent here is absolutely insane for the job pay.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was just looking up AirBnB rentals an hour ago.

I'm too cautious to go anywhere right now, but as a poor person who's been wanting to travel for years, the prices are starting to look damn tempting. Probably wouldn't be that great anyway since everything's closing down.

Stay the fuck home. This is a crisis, not a vacation.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I am personally not a fan of AirBNB (all my experiences were incredibly awkward debacles) but I like the concept.

If I am on work travel I don't have to worry about price so long as it is within per diem so hotels are great. On personal travel I would rather spend a bit more and stay at a nice chain hotel.

But I very much appreciate that some people want to save cash without going the full hostel route. If you're on your own a hostel can be great. Traveling with a group or luggage and it starts being a hassle. And family? Fuggedaboutit. And AirBnB (and similar services) are a great middle ground for that.

There definitely needs to be a lot more regulation and hopefully the ongoing end of the world helps motivate that. But just like there is a difference between insanely expensive taxis that won't take credit cards and uber drivers in white vans with a mattress in the back, so too is there a middle ground between "ban it all" and "evict everyone"

No there are other smokers and many people who are understanding out there. Not everyone is an anti-smoking extremist. That just one reason I'd rather stay in an Airbnb than a hotel, though.
Yup. Plenty of people are understanding of why you need to walk through a cloud of aerosolized rat shit any time you enter or leave a hotel that doesn't chase smokers away from the main entrance with a broom

You figured out that staying at a semi-private residence is a good idea. That is awesome, good on you. But fuck off with that hotels not being "understanding". Your poor life choices should not require me to figure out which entrance to the hotel won't make me gag.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was just looking up AirBnB rentals an hour ago.

I'm too cautious to go anywhere right now, but as a poor person who's been wanting to travel for years, the prices are starting to look damn tempting. Probably wouldn't be that great anyway since everything's closing down.

Imagine being the asshole who wants to take advantage of a fucking pandemic to go on a cheap vacation...

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
eh, I'm not quite all the way there with you. As people that don't have a lot of extra income, AirBNB has allowed my partner and i to visit communities we would have never been able to as well as attend a bunch of out-of-town weddings and keep costs down to a reasonable level.

Did you even read the proof about the impact on rentals in the OP? Or are you just thinking that your holidays are more important than the locals having affordable rentals?

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Stay the fuck home. This is a crisis, not a vacation.
Imagine being the asshole who wants to take advantage of a fucking pandemic to go on a cheap vacation...
Jesus people... I said I'm NOT going. That's purely out of concern for others, not for myself. I've barely even left my house in weeks.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Won't lie, if there's one good aspect to the CV19 pandemic it's people seeing how utterly feeble the "free market" is to do anything to help them.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus people... I said I'm NOT going. That's purely out of concern for others, not for myself. I've barely even left my house in weeks.

You said it was tempting. How is it tempting. Glad you are staying home!

Ban AirBNB. Rentals for extended period (2wks-month+) is fine, like when the Olympics come to town. Running a hotel out of a residential neighborhood is not.

If Airbnb isn't abused (the blame lies with Airbnb) it can be an empowering service. But unfortunately it is being abused.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
For all those crying about cheap travel, Hostels do exist. Many have private rooms as well.

Airbnb has needed to go for years. Maybe now the COL for major cities can become afford. I'd still wish it to exist in some form. i.e. families with lake houses to rent or an extra room. Maybe limit it to one listing per person.
Seriously. People say that they wouldn't be able to travel without air bnb, but what they really mean is "I wouldn't be able to afford to have a private residence with the amount of vacations I currently take." If you want to travel a lot, hostels exist. If you want to travel in style, take less trips. Not to mention traveling is one of the worst things you can do for climate change.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I checked in my city and there are dozens of new rentals around $1000/mo lower than the lowest prices when I looked a year ago.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
You figured out that staying at a semi-private residence is a good idea.
It is soooo, soo, so much better than the experience of staying at a hotel.

No pressure or ads for in-hotel restaraunts or services.

Total freedom to live yo life

No Karens on an elevator bringing wet kids back up from the pool

No stupid extra parking costs and restrictions

No one expecting a tip for carrying a bag when you didn't want them to touch your stuff in the first place

... there are tons of reasons why an airbnb is way better than a hotel besides smoking. Efficiency isn't everything, especially when you;re looking to relax.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I'm surprised by the number of people in here who love paying a ton for hotels
Depends on the local but 100-150 a night is pretty common and if you book ahead of time and/or use rewards that can lower drastically. Similarly, I travel a lot for work (maybe not this year) so I usually have a lot of points to offset costs

In exchange for paying a bit more I usually have a base of operations that is close enough to where I want to go that I can stop by during the day and spend minimal time traveling but still affordable. And I have pretty much a guaranteed configuration and level of cleanliness and so forth. Even hotel internet is getting better for the purpose of watching a youtube at night or buying tickets and so forth. And it is nice for international travel where I can generally be guaranteed an okay cup of coffee even if the country thinks granulated is "just as good"

AirBnB is usually a fair bit cheaper (depends on the area though) but has a much higher risk of bait and switch and dealing with crazy people.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Don't even think about it for a second
its unfortunate this is happening with lots of people who were previously too poor to travel. I know a lady who always wanted to go to Los Angeles, and she saw a flight a week or so ago for 79 dollars ROUNDTRIP, another trip to NOLA was like 115 round trip. granted, not sure what you'd actually DO (especially in LA as atm the entire state is on lock down) but yeah before the lockdowns flights were dirt cheap.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Marriott's version of AirBnB will cease to exist after this pandemic:

homes-and-villas.marriott.com

Homes & Villas by Marriott Bonvoy | Book Directly and Save

Find your next vacation rental with Marriott Homes and Villas. Choose from various property locations and rental types. Sign-up and save as a Marriott Bonvoy guest!
my brother and aunt work for marriott, entire company is pretty much furloughed for 3 months, getting paid just enough to cover benefits for them so yeah it's def a possibility that they axe that program after all this.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
I hope this leads to lower rent for high CoL areas. I'm moving to a big city in the next few months, this actually may make it easier to find a new place to live.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I liked using AirBnB, met some really great owners and met a lot of absolutely terrible ones.

On the real though, its demise probably wouldn't be the worst thing.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's fairly obvious he's acting. Someone who was really angry wouldn't be acting that way.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
AirBnB shouldn't exist in the way it currently does. But this also goes for renting in general.

There should however, be something else to fill the niche, because it's a fantastic service, buyer side.

I often go on vacation with like 4 other guys. Not only is splitting an AirBnB ridiculously cheaper than getting our own hotel rooms, but having an actual house/living room/kitchen makes a world of difference when staying a week + at places.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AirBnB shouldn't exist in the way it currently does. But this also goes for renting in general.

There should however, be something else to fill the niche, because it's a fantastic service, buyer side.

I often go on vacation with like 4 other guys. Not only is splitting an AirBnB ridiculously cheaper than getting our own hotel rooms, but having an actual house/living room/kitchen makes a world of difference when staying a week + at places.
Yeah. Whenever we travel to Europe now we stay at AirBNB (or equivalent) and wouldn't have it any other way. Hotel rooms and amenities suck ass.

Oct 27, 2017
Okay why is every rental close to or over $1000 in shitty rural ass Pennsylvania? That's more than half my paycheck a month and a lot of these are 1 bed/1 bath with no utilities included. Fuck you America.

Like I can understand rent being higher in a city with high minimum wage but I make almost double the minimum wage in my area and I can't afford this shit. It's almost comical.