• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I've only played a few hours but liked what I've played so far, glad to see it's reviewing well as I was unsure if it would deliver on its early promise. Amicia is a compelling character too.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a game where console performance is an issue? I need to know if I should do PC or base PS4.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone who has played the game, is there any political intrigue at all with the story? Even a little? I'm sorta in Game of Thrones/Dark Medieval-esque mood at the moment and was wondering if this would fit the mold.

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
Launch trailer looks fantastic!!!

Thanks for the impressions everyone, looks like my cup of tea.

Hope the game do well. Waiting my copy.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I discuss this in the review. There are some settings that are odd. High seems to be almost identical and gains you back the FPS

Great review!
There seems to be something wrong with vsync. In the first area on ultra (4k) I'm often in the 50s, but with some tweaking I can get pretty consistent 60 fps (lowering draw distance alone doesn't seem to make much of a difference for me). If I turn on vsync I have sudden drops on the 40s and 30s without even moving the camera.
Then in the second area, with everything maxed out fps fluctuate between 75 and 100.
Will do some more testing tomorrow.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Are there difficulty levels or is the game preset for the entirety of the game? Thanks.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Are there difficulty levels or is the game preset for the entirety of the game? Thanks.

There are no difficulty levels, although there is an immersive mode that you can toggle on at the start of the game, which will hide some feedbacks, thus making the game a bit more challenging than on standard mode. But it's not a true difficulty level per se.

Last edited:

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me a lot of Hellblade. Never even heard about this until seeing all the good reviews pop up. If I liked that, I should enjoy this?

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
There's far less combat and a LOT of stealth compared to Hellblade. That said, I definitely see the similarities and am enjoying it a lot so far (huge Hellbalde fan myself).

Hmm, I didn't mind the combat in Hellblade, was pretty fun, even if repetitive.

Not as crazy about all the stealth, but I'll check it out!

Jan 4, 2018
For anyone who has played the game, is there any political intrigue at all with the story? Even a little? I'm sorta in Game of Thrones/Dark Medieval-esque mood at the moment and was wondering if this would fit the mold.
Without spoiling anything I would say kind of. There's definitely a larger story (beyond the two main characters trying to survive) that involves the Inquisition. Not sure I would classify it as political intrigue, though.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty cool for Focus Interactive to be able to put this out. Usually their games are held back by a lack of budget that translates to a certain roughness around the edges. Maybe it can be a bit of a breakthrough for the devs and the publisher.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I've only played it a bit but I'm mega impressed by how good it looks and controls. It's AAA level polish despite being from a mid tier studio and mid tier publisher.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
After 20+ hours of Days Gone, with probably another 20+ to go, I'm really excited for a lean focused linear narrative-driven palette cleanser. Bleak coming-of-age + stealth + unique time period not usually explored in games are all icing

There are no difficulty levels, although there is an immersive mode that you can toggle on at the start of the game, which will hide some feedbacks, thus making the game a bit more challenging than on standard mode. But it's not a true difficulty level per se.
Did you play with the mode?

Rezz

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seattle
After 20+ hours of Days Gone, with probably another 20+ to go, I'm really excited for a lean focused linear narrative-driven palette cleanser. Bleak coming-of-age + stealth + unique time period not usually explored in games are all icing

Did you play with the mode?
I'm planning with it (you can tweak individual hud properties as well if needed) and enjoying it. The stuff you can interact with is still very apparent - it just now lacks the "outline" around the object.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
752590-20190513201237-1.png

e-steam-steamapps-common-a-plague-tale-innocence-aplaguetaleinn.jpg

Yeah, this game looks pretty good!

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Cheers. I disabled Vignetting, Distortion and Fringe (CA).
Same version of one of the screens I posted above looks like this now.
Such a big difference !!

mw0Ahe6.jpg
Thank god we can turn off CA and Vignette using the INI option on PC. Those are fine as some transient effect like if trying to portray a temporary injury, but I really hate it when a game uses CA/vignette full time, so freaking ugly and ruins the picture quality. Developers need to stop using such effects so much, they only really work when used very sparingly.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The PC port is very well done.

Ultra tanks the framerate but a drop to high will give you almost double the performance with 0 image quality drop.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This game is really pretty. Some top notch lighting here and materials here. The volumetric lighting in this one has something that I've seen in very few games this gen wherein the colour of the light volume changes based on what material it passes through. So volumetric lights through stained glass are multi coloured. The first game I remember seeing it in this gen was Lords of the Fallen.

Also If you are on PC then please turn off fringe and vignette from ini file in my documents.
I've taken so many pictures but I won't post them here as they are from later areas in the game and you need to see them first hand to really be amazed.

The PC port is very well done.

Ultra tanks the framerate but a drop to high will give you almost double the performance with 0 image quality drop.
I don't seem to be getting that much of a difference, Shadows give a boost of about 5-7FPS for me going ultra to high, and turning down every other setting (except for shadows) to high gives an additional 5FPS.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
How is the HDR? Trying to decide between X or PC

Nvm: I see evilboris said the hdr was decent. X it is

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This game is ridiculously gorgeous. Hellblade had better character models but the overall aesthetic and world is incredible.

Starting with French dialogue, seems more natural for the setting

The controls feel really good, even so early on

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got HDR to work on PC? I see in the ini file there's a option to turn HDR10 on, but it didn't work or I can't really tell the difference.

Sebmugi

Nov 8, 2017
France
on one X and a Oled TV the game is beautiful oO but it is true that the effects on the picture lead all ... brightly a good patch and a photo mode on console ^^

screens from one X HDR 4k

1557812633-sebmugi-aplaguetaleinnocence-20190513-17-06-40.png

1557813342-sebmugi-aplaguetaleinnocence-20190513-17-18-52.png

1557813356-sebmugi-aplaguetaleinnocence-20190513-17-45-53.png

Vir

Oct 27, 2017
Western Australia
Playing on the X, every looks really great.

So far the story has really made me take notice and the world detail is fantastic. I started this after jumping in to Rage2 for an hour and my only desire is to play this when I get home from work.

Naru

May 11, 2019
This game came out of nowhere. Graphics and gameplay look amazing and interesting. I'll probably get this.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
For those that don't know why this game looks so amazing, like the Vanishing of Ethan Carter and more recently Star Wars: Battlefront, they make use of photogrammetry for the environments (which is a technique of using real world objects that are photographed at all angles and then the software makes a 3d model from those pictures).

You can read about it and what they used it for in A Plague Tale here:
https://quixel.com/blog/2019/5/7/a-plague-tale-innocence-overrun-with-megascans

Sebmugi

Nov 8, 2017
France
yes it is indicated at the launch of the game, thank you megascan!! is the future of the video game for the optimal modeling of the world .. <3

blimblim

Oct 28, 2017
Really looking forward to this one. We need more games set in specific historical periods.

I didn't realise the soundtrack is from Olivier Deriviére, one of my favourite game music composers based on his work in Vampyr and 11-11.
It's still to be confirmed but we should have a stream tonight with Olivier and the sound director of the game. I'll let you guys know when it's confirmed :)

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone playing on a base PS4 and has early performance impressions to share?

This game came out of nowhere. Graphics and gameplay look amazing and interesting. I'll probably get this.
Actually, they've been releasing a lot of pre-release promotional materials for quite a long time now, but I agree that mainstream gaming media weren't really catching it too much.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's still to be confirmed but we should have a stream tonight with Olivier and the sound director of the game. I'll let you guys know when it's confirmed :)
Hooray! The game's soundtrack is superb. I gushed over it in my review but it still doesn't feel like I said it enough, it's so perfectly fitting that it ends up elevating the entire experience. Environmental design and art is also really superb.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wheres the cheapest place to buy this on pc? is it just on steam or can I go to cdkeys gmg etc?

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Anyone playing on a base PS4 and has early performance impressions to share?

I am playing (currently Chapter VII) on a slim PS4,no problem so far .
The game looks really good.Visually some of the scenes are really impressive.
The atmophere is incredible.

Also this game is so immersive.Within few minutes i was into the story.It's a very linear ride,but what a ride.Amicia is a really great character.
It has little problems there and there,a bit cheesy sometime,and some of the cutscenes are not the best maybe,but for an AA game,it's really impressive.
It's a game made with sincerity and love,for sure.It has something special in it.

Edit:and yeah The music IS Beautiful.

Kazer

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Can you turn off chromatic abrasion on the pc edition?
Yes! You have to manually edit the INI file in Documents/My Games/A Plague Tale. I turned off fringe (chromatic aberration) , lens distortion, and vignette per Nooblet's post on the last page and it looks great.

So, how long is this game? And how's performance on base PS4?
Sounds like it's about 12-15 hours depending on how much exploring you do. Can't comment on base PS4 performance though.