• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
AEW is an awesome wrestling show and if you are a fan of wrestling at all it's a good show to check out.

Beating Raw in the demo is the cherry on top since Vince and HHH have actively worked to avoid competition while putting on a dreadful product for years.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The goal post moving is kind of transparent.

I suppose that unless AEW immediately jumps to beating RAW overall, and unless AEW doesn't maintain that indefinitely it doesn't count for anything? Even if it was guaranteed that AEW would get there (which obviously it isn't) this would always have to be a milestone along the way.

I find those moving goalpost pretty stupid, but we also need to be aware that this is *just* the beggining. I have no doubts that AEW will keep moving foward, but this is the beggining of when the bigger headlines will come: beating them in overall ratings, for several weeks. And fuck RAW, the goal needs to be the A-Show which is Smackdown nowadays. And I'm pretty sure that's the current long term goal for AEW, since beating Raw is at rock-throwing distance

In any case, AEW going up like this is the best possible thing. Either WWE steps up or bites the dust, both outcomes are good in one way or the other for Wrestling.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I just hope WWE continues to pursue their dream of signing NFL rejects and make a sports entertainment show while AEW does their thing.

I want a good wrestling company in the US that attracts the best wrestlers and uses them instead of a monopoly that hires everyone and misuses them or doesn't use them at all.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
People really dismissing the demo win, it's the demo that buys shit. It's the demo that made WWF big in the 80's and the demo that made WCW big in the 90's and the very same demo that made WWF huge in the 90's too. The goalpost twitter is pretty apt tbh, AEW is making good business and it shows in the face and health of its wrestlers..
Demo wins are the only wins ad execs care about and are of paramount importance in the only conversation that matters (ad revenue and lucrative television broadcast deals).

Incidentally, The Simpsons was the #3 top-rated sitcom in the 18-49 demo in its 32nd season... only behind Young Sheldon and The Neighborhood. Just a friendly reminder.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I find those moving goalpost pretty stupid, but we also need to be aware that this is *just* the beggining. I have no doubts that AEW will keep moving foward, but this is the beggining of when the bigger headlines will come: beating them in overall ratings, for several weeks. And fuck RAW, the goal needs to be the A-Show which is Smackdown nowadays. And I'm pretty sure that's the current long term goal for AEW, since beating Raw is at rock-throwing distance

In any case, AEW going up like this is the best possible thing. Either WWE steps up or bites the dust, both outcomes are good in one way or the other for Wrestling.
Well they've already beaten Smackdown in the key demo (and total viewers actually!) so RAW was the only one they hadn't beaten yet.

Because Smackdown got pre-empted and bumped to FS1, still it wasn't expected that AEW would beat them even with the pre-emption.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
I was at All Out, which was just an incredible wrestling show top to bottom. Wife and I were at a bar the day after for a drink after dinner and they had Raw on. I saw something called Moist TV, a guy getting shot with a squirt gun mid match, some kind of incoherent tag tournament match that they seemed to just forget about halfway through and move on, and a talking doll. It was the first I've seen of Raw in maybe 5 years and boy, was I not prepared for how bad it was. I truly can't believe they still get the numbers they do.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I was at All Out, which was just an incredible wrestling show top to bottom. Wife and I were at a bar the day after for a drink after dinner and they had Raw on. I saw something called Moist TV, a guy getting shot with a squirt gun mid match, some kind of incoherent tag tournament match that they seemed to just forget about halfway through and move on, and a talking doll. It was the first I've seen of Raw in maybe 5 years and boy, was I not prepared for how bad it was. I truly can't believe they still get the numbers they do.
WWE is lucky that a lot of WWE fans are creatures of habit. It is crazy that such aggressively bad TV still can get 1.8-2 million total viewers.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
WWE will never truly go away. But my hope is that the perception of what they present as the go-to default standard will eventually whittle away. And I think that is something we're already seeing. As is, the people supporting that product are mainly those who grew up with it and they're outside the main demo. Fox News also gets shit tons of old viewers too.

There is enough room out there for their brand of sports entertainment to exist and thrive and they will be around for a long time. The problem is that they've been the defacto top dawg in 'pro wrestling' for so long which has been good for their business but not the long-term health of the industry/business/artform.

Competition and diversity is a great thing.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Vince is in real trouble. Way more than he was in with WCW in the 90's.

Vince took his father's business and despite his father's wishes, did exactly what his father feared: he killed the territories. Vince Jr. raided talent from all the territories, and to his credit, managed to merge and make professional wrestling mainstream. He rode that train all through the mid 80's/early 90's until that talent he raided was on the way out, and new talent had to be built. His idea? Gimmick after gimmick after gimmick. Doink, Duke Droese, TL Hopper, etc. He rode the talents hard during that era with a brutal road schedule, no time off. WWF in '93-early '96 was a taste of what was going to come without competition. When Hall and Nash jumped, WCW got hot and Vince stuck by his warped way of thinking, pushing people like Mabel. Talent flocked because of the easier schedule and more money WCW was offering. Vince was backed into a corner, he panicked, we got Billionaire Ted era and the fake Razor and Diesel. He sat on great talents, and only pushed them when he was forced to. Talents like Stone Cold, who was extremely unhappy at the time, and actually was leaning to asking for his release. He approached Vince about a character change into the Stone Cold character, and Vince's genius ideas were: Fang McFrost, Otto Von Ruthless, Ice Dagger. He had a talent in Dwayne Johnson, and instead of realizing the guy was a natural heel, he instead shoved him down the fans throats (doesn't this sound familiar?) until Vince was forced to let Dwayne turn heel and become The Rock. He had a talent in Mankind that he legit only hired to try and send a message to Jim Ross. Vince's words to Ross on hiring Foley were "He's going to break your heart." He turned WWF into trash TV because he literally had no other choice and had a wider net with USA Network than WCW did with Nitro at the time. Sure, we all know how it ended, but it wasn't BECAUSE of Vince, it was IN SPITE of Vince. Once competition was out of the way, the company has honestly been shit since 2003-2004, outside of a few bright spots.

Vince is in the same boat again, and this time it was his own doing. All Vince had to do was let Jericho put Owens over at WrestleMania for the title. All Vince had to do was let Cody build out a program with Dustin. AEW in their first year was barely a mention on the WWE shareholder talks. Second year, a little more, now his shareholders are pissed because talent is wanting out left and right, and Vince has no avenue for them because he honestly has no clue on what he's doing, and hasn't for a long, long time.
Yup. All of this. So true that the product started to become stale in 2003-2004, when most of that stacked roster they had from 2001-2002 started to leave and Cena and Orton started coming up. Not only that, but the format and product itself started to become stale, clean, bland and, predictable. I slowly stopped following it during that era and just watched occasionally and read some dirt sheets. Worth noting, does anyone else feel that WWE from 2004/5 - 2014ish just blends in together? When I was growing up, I was able to distinctly tell the difference in WWF 1992, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, and so on. It's astonishing how many chances WWF took from 96 - 98.

96, in particular, was extra weird when you compare the roster from the first half of the year from January to June to the second half from June to December. The company was slowly becoming edgier and edgier starting from Diesel's tweener character at the start of the year. By June, Diesel, Razor, Kid, Bret, Piper, Tatanka, Bigelow, etc have all left. Mero, Sid, Foley, Gordy, The Rock, Jake Roberts, Ron Simmons, and, Pillman all showed up in the second half with a Warrior return sandwiched in between. What a crazy ass year and probably one of my favorites.

Nov 2, 2018
I love how Punk weaponised WWE isn't wrestling it's Sports Entertainment.

It's been such a nonsense statement for years and I don't care if you make your money with networks, merchandise or Saudi Princes - if your end product is a wrestling show and the talent are wrestlers - you are wrestling.

It puts the WWE apologists like the ones in this thread in a really tricky spot. You just have to deny it - no one in the world wants to lame enough to utter the phrase "I'm a sports entertainment fan"

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
It's been a while since we've heard ol' Vinny Mac say "We're not in the wrasslin' business, we're in the entertainment business."

Thinking we'll hear that again soon.

We make movies

4YaRO9b.gif

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I'm to the point where I actively seek out AEW clips, highlights, and blogs each week. For someone that steadily got to a place where they ignored wrestling completely, that's pretty big. Might actually start tuning in more regularly, especially if guys like Owens and Bray join Punk & co.

Or once Pillman Jr. moves away from the "Hollywood Blondes" phase and embraces Pillman 9MM Glock.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
AEW got to where I hoped it would far quicker than I thought.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't forget Rampage tonight. Brian and Cole talk and Andrade vs PAC is supposed to be one of the best matches of the year

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
That's not getting viewers to tune in, especially with it now being Monday Night Football season.

Also have to appreciate the lack of logic. There is no buildup to a title match. Adding to that you have one half of the tag team champions facing Lashley who is also partners with MVP who are the #1 contenders for the Raw tag titles despite losing to Orton and Riddle like a week or two ago.

Not only is it pathetic to be watching WWE from an entertainment standpoint, but let's not forget the awful shit that they don't get called out for nearly enough.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
i mostly keep up with wrestling news thanks to jim cornette and jim ross's podcast and i'm glad someone is finally making wwe pay for their shitty management. hopefully they keep losing audience and vince finally pulls the trigger and sells the wwe to somebody that can actually run it well.