• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
There's been great comic writers hired to write movies that ended up not good so I'll give TNC a chance at screenplay.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Because of Flashpoint I bet they open up the multiverse. Val-Zod pls. He's fucking cool

Oct 27, 2017
Coates' work on superhero stuff is by and far his weakest material. Him being on this isn't exactly thrilling me.
We know how Coates writes dialogue and it's not good.

How the fuck you make Black Panther in space boring
I'm hoping that, much like essays are his strength, that comics are just his weakest, and not character work in entirety.

That's why i'm excited about him doing a standalone movie, as opposed to his comic runs

Oct 27, 2017
Coates is a terrible comic writer, dunno how he will fare with a screenplay.

A Black Superman could potentially be more interesting provided they actually tackle race and don't shy away from it. Clark having to navigate the world as a superpowered extraterrestrial and also as a Black/POC person would be compelling stuff to see.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Hmm not sure how I feel about this but I'll be cautiously optimistic. Sucks if Cavill is out though. He was not the issue with BvS and JL and deserves another shot. MoS is good enough to warrant that. And crazy by the time this is out it'll be 10 years since MoS.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
These 13 seconds had more Superman in them than the entirety of his last few movie apperances.

Zack Snyder has really conditioned people to think that Superman would either snap the boy's neck or look sad as he burned his hat using heat vision.

Maybe an Ayn Rand fan isn't exactly the best choice for the biggest boy scout in the world.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Put me on the side that wants Henry Cavill to come back. It's not his fault the Superman stuff he's in is either mediocre or just plain awful.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I hope this doesn't come off as anti-diversity or racist or anything, it absolutely is not. But I just can't see them making Superman Black and having it work if they're still going to have it be Clark Kent with the standard origin.

Just to recap: Kal-El landed in Kansas and was taken in by salt-of-the-Earth farmers who raised him to see the good in humanity, and his entire purpose is to be the light that humanity strives for. He's the boy scout and the ultimate role model.

A black kid growing up in hickville is going to have a completely different experience and I'd find it very hard to believe that A. The majority of the planet is going to look up to an alien immigrant black man telling people how they should be, and B. Him deciding to be an icon for all humans when the people that look like him are being put down at every opportunity everywhere.

Now if they want to make it like Miles Morales, that's believable and would work better. But unless they are going to make some significant changes, it's going to end up just another crappy DC film to throw on the pile. And if they make large changes to the origin, is it still Superman? It's going to come off like DC is trying to one-up Black Panther, like "Oh yeah? Our black hero is the best of all heroes! Beat that!", and casting Jordan isn't going to help that.

Jordan would be a fantastic Superman in a world that would accept a Black man in that role. Both in the fictional world and in our world, I don't think we're there. Not to mention he's already faced this backlash when he did Fantastic 4.

Other than any of that, I want Cavill back. People like him, he's great in the role, and he wants to do it.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
JJ would be good for this, I think. We just need a solid reboot... Nothing too fancy, but something to get people interested again.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this doesn't come off as anti-diversity or racist or anything, it absolutely is not. But I just can't see them making Superman Black and having it work if they're still going to have it be Clark Kent with the standard origin.

Just to recap: Kal-El landed in Kansas and was taken in by salt-of-the-Earth farmers who raised him to see the good in humanity, and his entire purpose is to be the light that humanity strives for. He's the boy scout and the ultimate role model.

A black kid growing up in hickville is going to have a completely different experience and I'd find it very hard to believe that A. The majority of the planet is going to look up to an alien immigrant black man telling people how they should be, and B. Him deciding to be an icon for all humans when the people that look like him are being put down at every opportunity everywhere.

Now if they want to make it like Miles Morales, that's believable and would work better. But unless they are going to make some significant changes, it's going to end up just another crappy DC film to throw on the pile. And if they make large changes to the origin, is it still Superman? It's going to come off like DC is trying to one-up Black Panther, like "Oh yeah? Our black hero is the best of all heroes! Beat that!", and casting Jordan isn't going to help that.

Jordan would be a fantastic Superman in a world that would accept a Black man in that role. Both in the fictional world and in our world, I don't think we're there. Not to mention he's already faced this backlash when he did Fantastic 4.

Other than any of that, I want Cavill back. People like him, he's great in the role, and he wants to do it.

It doesn't have to be Clark Kent. The beautiful thing about comics is that there are legacy characters.

There are two very popular Black Supermen and they're both really strong characters that could hold their own storywise

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Let me plug Morrison's nu52 Action Comic run here. It's great and has one of the best issues of Calvin Ellis' Superman

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
The two big movies Abrams was a producer on before TROS were The Last Jedi and Mission Impossible Fallout, so obviously if he's producing something it's automatically gonna be shit.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019

Barack Obama was one of the most widely known and well liked people on the whole planet, especially during his first run. Don't know why you think the world wouldn't look up to or respect a black man that wields as much power as Superman.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They better have Henry Cavill otherwise I'm out. I really don't care for a reboot after how dirty they did the current characters. I'm thinking I'll be done with DC movies after ZSJL, I have very little hopes for whatever they appear to be trying with The Flash. Maybe Shazam and Black Adam might still be ok.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017

Superman himself as I understand him would say nah, go with Jordan, having him be Superman and try to make what world you'd hope it to be better. Whether that's false hope or not, that's what I love about Superman, he does the thing we think isn't possible.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good!

Lest the Snyderverse disappear in obscurity where it belongs.
Drop everything!

Make a good Superman movie that fills people with hope and kindness.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I can only hope Coates is just uniquely unsuited to long form comic storytelling, cause the stuff he wrote? Wasn't hittin.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
They better have Henry Cavill otherwise I'm out. I really don't care for a reboot after how dirty they did the current characters. I'm thinking I'll be done with DC movies after ZSJL, I have very little hopes for whatever they appear to be trying with The Flash. Maybe Shazam and Black Adam might still be ok.

your loss breh, Batman is probably gonna be the best comic movie in years. trailer alone was *chefskiss*

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
What if we get Cavill and Earth 2 Superman in the same movie, a la Into the Spider-Verse?