• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Isn't blockchaining like mining for crypto? Where does a video clip play into this? Is it like a limitless CAPTCHA or something?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
this has been kinda how i feel about it as well. one of the first things that came to mind when i started hearing about it was comic artists.

comic artists that do the pencils/inks on paper are able to sell those individual original pages to collectors, and that can be a pretty big source of income for them. if that artists transitions to digital, then they can't sell the pages... until now with whatever this is
I'm thinking about commissions where the digital artist gives the client a NFT copy and then possibly selling prints of the same illustration. This could be an amazing thing for digital artists. I personally have little interest in this as I just simply prefer the physical object but that may simple be my 'old man yelling at clouds' stance in life.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. In a weird way it seems like its like asking "why is that baseball/basketball card so valuable when I can see or even print a picture of it right now?" The value goes beyond the actual picture/gif/art, its just that in the case of a valuable physical card or comic the reason its valuable (its a physical item that is rare) is easier for our modern brains to digest?

Especially when replicas didn't demolish the trading card or artwork/photo collection market either, or rather didn't dampen the demand.

Like yeah, you can download a picture of the mona lisa and go to your local print shop (or even buy a replica premade on amazon) and "own" the artwork that way, but its not the one sitting in the Louvre. The same concept applies here we've just spent a good 10-20 years of digital content ownership not working that way.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Wu Tang was ahead of the times when they produced only one copy of an album.

I must not be evolved in my thinking, but I don't really value digital goods enough to pay a lot of money for "exclusive" digital bits.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
So, it turns out this is disastrously bad for the environment. A lot of artists on my Twitter feed for initially very excited about it, but are no longer pursuing the idea, because it releases a stupid amount of CO2 due to electricity consumption.

The Problem with Crypto Art

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Already thought that paying outrageous amounts of money for physical rare collectibles was dumb as shit.
Paying millions for virtual content is even worse.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
So, it turns out this is disastrously bad for the environment. A lot of artists on my Twitter feed for initially very excited about it, but are no longer pursuing the idea, because it releases a stupid amount of CO2 due to electricity consumption.

Aww, the tweet I refernced earlier was a pointer to this article. Yeah, the environmental impacts of this are horrendous, all for a buck.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Yeah... Reportedly, Grimes just sold $6 million worth of digital art that way.

www.theverge.com

Grimes sold $6 million worth of digital art as NFTs

The NFT gold rush continues.
Grimes is the latest artist to get in on the NFT gold rush, selling around $6 million worth of digital artworks after putting them up for auction yesterday.
A series of 10 pieces — some one of a kind, others with thousands of copies — went up for sale on Nifty Gateway on February 28th. The highest-selling piece was a one-of-a-kind video called "Death of the Old" that involves flying cherubs, a cross, a sword, and glowing light that's set to an original song by Grimes. The winning bidder took it for nearly $389,000.

The bulk of the sales came from two pieces with thousands of copies available that sold for $7,500 each. The works, titled "Earth" and "Mars," are both short videos featuring their titular planet with a giant cherub over it holding a weapon, also set to original music. Nearly 700 copies were sold for a total of $5.18 million before sales closed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Especially when replicas didn't demolish the trading card or artwork/photo collection market either, or rather didn't dampen the demand.

Like yeah, you can download a picture of the mona lisa and go to your local print shop (or even buy a replica premade on amazon) and "own" the artwork that way, but its not the one sitting in the Louvre. The same concept applies here we've just spent a good 10-20 years of digital content ownership not working that way.
Makes a lot of sense when you describe it like that, thank you. Quite fascinating.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I have created a series of NFT collectible photos of my body parts. Try to collect all the parts and make me rich, please.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Aww, the tweet I refernced earlier was a pointer to this article. Yeah, the environmental impacts of this are horrendous, all for a buck.

To be fair, and the article points this out, that the way most blockchain systems today are constructed is the problem, but blockchain can still possibly be energy efficient. It does beg the question of whether or not artists should be supporting this practice until they can be sure of its ethical and environmental fallout.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Now folks, how can we work this into gacha game design?

╰(*°▽°*)╯

Oct 25, 2017
I thought we all understood stuff like this is just money laundering? The only news here is that they're including digital items now.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i've started seeing the art twitter conflicts, and there's definitely a fissure growing. while there are people who are walking away from it due to energy concerns, there's a contingent that are finally able to make money doing their digital art for the first time ever and don't want to give that up

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I thought we all understood stuff like this is just money laundering? The only news here is that they're including digital items now.

So In these threads we've gotten to the point that anything of value is 100% laundering. Folks anytime you deal with value you'll get crime. It's not absolute.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Soon:
*copies artwork to ssd, removes crypto stuff, redistributes*

Done and done.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
DZTIJmLWsAAjEgJ.jpg

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Soon:
*copies artwork to ssd, removes crypto stuff, redistributes*

Done and done.
see below

the "picture" is not what is worth, but being "the original"

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Isn't blockchaining like mining for crypto? Where does a video clip play into this? Is it like a limitless CAPTCHA or something?
Block chain is the process of tracing digital items. Bitcoin are mined sequentially by solving a complicated math problem. Each Bitcoin that is mined creates an updated blockchain, which is a record of all transactions of Bitcoin up to that point, and while that one Bitcoin remains the latest one mined, it is the blockchain that validates everything. The blockchain isn't updated until the next person mines a Bitcoin, at which point it passes to them.

The blockchain is literally a "show me the receipts" proof of valid Bitcoin. In this case I'm not sure how they are controlling the blockchain, but it'll only be updated each time this art is sold. Any duplicates won't have this blockchain with them and will be classed as duplicates.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
To be fair, and the article points this out, that the way most blockchain systems today are constructed is the problem, but blockchain can still possibly be energy efficient. It does beg the question of whether or not artists should be supporting this practice until they can be sure of its ethical and environmental fallout.
This information is just starting to filter out to the community, I think a lot of people aren't aware of it yet.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I mean the application is that digital content, say a digital image or video, be can be owned - its owner can be pinpointed and declared outright. It's probably going to be a game changer for copyright infringement right?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Digitized scarcity. The next few decades are going to be wild on so many different fronts.

Oct 25, 2017
cryptoart is the nerdiest fucking shit and i feel like im getting smellier just for learning what it is
plus it's needlessly horrible for the environment all so you can prove to other smelly nerds that you are the true owner of a PNG
basically my opinion on cryptoart amounts to: just fuck off

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. You guys have fun with that. I'm not buying into this crap no matter how out-of-touch I may seem.