• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've kind of always felt this way, especially after coming out of the 3D platformer drought of the seventh gen (PS3, 360). When I was younger and experienced the seizmic shift from 2D gaming to 3D in the form of early Playstation titles and Mario 64, I wasn't immediately enamored with 3D platformers. At the time they felt like far less precise/responsive and uglier versions of the excellent SNES/Genesis platformers that I'd been playing up to that point. Over time I grew to really love 3D platformers, however, and now they evoke a particularly fuzzy, nostalgic feeling within me whenever I play one.

The fact that I'm playing a lot of them with my three-year-old son nowadays only ratchets up this resonance even further, but there's just something about the core design and presentation of most 3D platformers that comforts me. They remind me of a time when simply controlling a character in a colorful 3D space was new and exciting, and even today the best 3D platformers (or remakes of classic ones) seem to focus on that same emphasis on freely moving through a vibrant, cartoony environment with a fun moveset.

luckystale11.jpg

I really like 3D platformers that treat each stage like a fun, themed microcosm with its own internal conflict.

Games like Mario Odyssey and the recent remaster of Mario Galaxy have been a joy to play with my son, but I've been equally enamored with the feeling I get playing through lesser entries in the genre like the Spyro trilogy remake and New Super Lucky's tale. From a mechanical standpoint those games are far inferior to any flagship 3D Mario release, but it just puts a smile on my face every time I play them. It takes me back to being a kid and exploring these simple, colorful worlds just for the sake of seeing what was around the corner or finding the next shiny trinket.

Spyro_Reignited_Trilogy_20181122021518.png

While the framepacing irks me, I can't deny the quality of the art/animation in the Spyro Trilogy remake.

What say you, ERA? Any other old fogies around here who feel the same?

Last edited:

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I agree with the sentiment but I would not put New Super Lucky's Tale in the same tier as the Spyro trilogy

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
3D platformers make me feel this way, but not mediocre ones. I'd not call Spyro that though, and I enjoyed playing the original for the first time recently. I hope this topic turns into recommendations for 3D platformers on current consoles, I'm always keeping an eye out for them.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on your definition of mediocre. I know people talk shit about DK64, and I don't know what the common consensus is of games like Gex 3D or Croc, but I love all three games all the same.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
tbh I might just be viewing that one with rose tinted glasses because of its top tier soundtrack
Both of them. It's a shame (apparently) so few people have played Croc 2 :(
It still has these kinda stiff movements but plays way better than the first one. Also those hub worlds with the thematically dressed Gobbos... I need a remaster like right now (- will never happen as they couldn't even bother to re-release the games on PSN as Playstation Classics, but a man can dream).

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I love the genre, but I feel like you're throwing shade at the Spyro trilogy here, haha. I'd give the Spyro games, PS1 or PS4, a B+/A- score, which I don't think puts it in the middling/mediocre category by any stretch. Those games are fun.

I absolutely get your sentiment, though. A few years back I finally played through Jak and Daxter 1 on the PS3 and man... it opened my eyes to the joy of 3D exploration I had taken for granted. I ended up playing through Jak 1, 2, Crash 1-2-3, Spyro 1-2, and Sly Cooper 1 and 4 all in one year.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Considered I had to hold myself back from buying the remastered Ty the Tasmanian Tiger during Christmas sales, I think I understand

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoy a good 3D Platformer too, but I find myself bouncing off a lot of them pretty hard- even ones people seem to love. I couldn't get into A Hat in Time, nor could I get into the Ratchet and Clank games I've tried (the OG, the PS4 remake, and one of the PS2 sequels. Never touched any PS3 ones). I've also found Super Mario 64 difficult to get into, but mainly because I don't care for the controls. I didn't play it when it was current, so my first exposure was that PC port that came out a few months back, then the Switch version. I didn't care for it either time. I know a lot of people didn't care for it, but I also bounced off Yooka-Laylee fairly quickly.

By comparison, I fucking love Odyssey, and especially the 3D Land/World games (I can't wait for 3D World Switch). I also really loved the Spyro remake.

I'm going to monitor this thread, but if anyone knows of any good 3D Platformers on PC/current systems that I should peep, I'm all ears. I have the RARE collection on bone, and played a little Banjo Kazooie which I enjoyed, but it's just old enough to be a bit tough to get into for a cranky fart like me, and part of the fun of these sorts of games is the fun visuals and colors, which an old ass N64 game just doesn't have.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, for me, Banjo Kazooie around 98/99 is nostalgic for me as it just reminds me more of a time of innocence. It was a time right before high school for me when video games were the only thing going on in my life at the time.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
3D Platformers are my favorite. We are spoiled and are getting Psyconauts 2 and Ratchet and Clank this year too!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoy a good 3D Platformer too, but I find myself bouncing off a lot of them pretty hard- even ones people seem to love. I couldn't get into A Hat in Time, nor could I get into the Ratchet and Clank games I've tried (the OG, the PS4 remake, and one of the PS2 sequels. Never touched any PS3 ones). I've also found Super Mario 64 difficult to get into, but mainly because I don't care for the controls. I didn't play it when it was current, so my first exposure was that PC port that came out a few months back, then the Switch version. I didn't care for it either time. I know a lot of people didn't care for it, but I also bounced off Yooka-Laylee fairly quickly.

By comparison, I fucking love Odyssey, and especially the 3D Land/World games (I can't wait for 3D World Switch). I also really loved the Spyro remake.

I'm going to monitor this thread, but if anyone knows of any good 3D Platformers on PC/current systems that I should peep, I'm all ears. I have the RARE collection on bone, and played a little Banjo Kazooie which I enjoyed, but it's just old enough to be a bit tough to get into for a cranky fart like me, and part of the fun of these sorts of games is the fun visuals and colors, which an old ass N64 game just doesn't have.
Super Lucky's Tale is basically 3D Land formula but with Kirby difficulty, but it's kinda fun.
I'd suggest the first Sly, but i think that's just PS2 or PS3. There's Ape Escape 2 on PS4 if you've never tried that- it's odd but fun.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I will tolerate no Croc slander.
Both of them. It's a shame (apparently) so few people have played Croc 2 :(
It still has these kinda stiff movements but plays way better than the first one. Also those hub worlds with the thematically dressed Gobbos... I need a remaster like right now (- will never happen as they couldn't even bother to re-release the games on PSN as Playstation Classics, but a man can dream).
I want to play these on Vita so bad :(

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Sackboy gave me that feeling over the x-mas days. really good game, definitely the best of the "PS5 launch games" (even if its technically a crossgen title)

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Speaking of mediocre 3D platformers, has anyone played The Last Tinker: City of Colors? I saw it kinda recommended on My Life in Gaming but they warned that it wasn't anything great, just okay. It's on PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to say that the Spyro games were explicitly mediocre. I was just saying that they're in a tier below the top-notch stuff like mainline Mario games.

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't trying to say that the Spyro games were explicitly mediocre. I was just saying that they're in a tier below the top-notch stuff like mainline Mario games.
Imo classic Spyro games like Ripto's Rage and Year of the dragon easily rival and surpass the likes of like SM64 and (especially) Sunshine.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
They're my favorite genre, I don't agree that Mario games are the best ones though. There are many that I enjoy a lot more

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Really enjoyed A Hat in Time. The Windmill stage is one of my favourite stages in any 3d platformer. Love vertical stages.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I agree completely, and I would totally put New Super Lucky's Tale in the same tier as the Spyro trilogy, probably slightly higher.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Scrat's Nutty Adventure was the most fun I had with a video game all last year. There's nothing like 3D platformers.

j_z

Feb 14, 2019
We have that 3d platformer thread that is always posting about new games:
www.resetera.com

The 3D Platformer Thread

Use the following tags to help you find something to play (CTRL+F and search for the tag): #DemoAvailable #Free Beeknighted Developer: MicrotonalMatt Platforms: PC Release Date: TBA Information: itch.io An N64-inspired game that goes as far as adhering to the N64's hardware limitations! You...

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Super Lucky's Tale is an underrated gem. It certainly doesn't reinvent the 3D Platformer genre, but it's an enjoyable 3D platformer and one that I've played twice now (both the original and the new version) and enjoyed both times.

I still need to check out A Hat in Time.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Super Lucky's Tale is an underrated gem. It certainly doesn't reinvent the 3D Platformer genre, but it's an enjoyable 3D platformer and one that I've played twice now (both the original and the new version) and enjoyed both times.

I still need to check out A Hat in Time.
Yeah, I agree. It's pretty standard and easy from a game design standpoint, but I really enjoyed the levels and characters quite a bit. The visuals are also quite good on Switch, albeit at 30fps.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Lucky's Tale is basically 3D Land formula but with Kirby difficulty, but it's kinda fun.
I'd suggest the first Sly, but i think that's just PS2 or PS3. There's Ape Escape 2 on PS4 if you've never tried that- it's odd but fun.
I'll definitely check out Super Lucky's based on that description. I had written it off as a oculus tech demo, but that's probably a dumb thing for me to do. Thanks for the rec- it doesn't lose anything without the VR component?

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
You should check out A Hat in Time. Personally I liked it more than Mario Odyssey.

Banjo Kazooie is my favorite 3D platformer.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel you, OP. I grew up on platformers since the SNES, and when I got used to 3D platformers with the N64 and Playstation, that pretty much cemented what genres are my absolute favorite and give me a special feeling every time I pick a new one up.

I've been thinking about replaying Pac-Man World for PS1 lately. I wonder if I would still enjoy it today.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'll definitely check out Super Lucky's based on that description. I had written it off as a oculus tech demo, but that's probably a dumb thing for me to do. Thanks for the rec- it doesn't lose anything without the VR component?
New Super Lucky's Tale isn't really related to the Oculus game other than IP. It's its own standalone 3D Platformer. Doesn't lose anything without the VR.

The 2017 Super Lucky's Tale (not "New") had the camera in place because VR support was intended which meant levels had to be designed to be "forward facing" and well, VR support never came around and it was too late to change things before shipping.

Source: I worked on it.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been in a mood for one lately. Never gave DK64 a shot back in the day. Wonder if it's worth it.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, what 3D platformer can reach the 3D Mario tier? I certainly can't think of any, and I've finished over a 100 of those.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Astro Bot is basically Mario tier aside from being a shorter game. I hear Astro's Playroom on PS5 is very good too, but I haven't got a PS5 yet.
Personally I highly disagree with that. I dusted off my PSVR just to play that game and it was a polished, jolly creative VR title. The VR gimmicks were fun, but ultimately the platforming and the mechanics were nowhere near even the worst of 3D Marios.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
i completely understand what you are saying. I'm exactly the same way except for puzzle games. i've played tons that i knew going in were only going to be "eh" but i love the genre soo much i'll play them all, even the mediocre ones.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread and I agree completely.
New Super Lucky's tale was really good though, and now I'm playing sackboy on ps5.

I must say that it bothers me a bit that the "story" is so obviously pointed to kids. I don't get that same feeling with Nintendo games. They should absolutely be childfriendly but a prefer that they do it in a way that doesn't make me feel like I'm an adult playing a kids game.

Edit: Astro's Playroom is perhaps the best example on a game that works for everyone.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I only found out it was a VR game after, but I think it's an entirely different game, like how Astro Bot PS5 isn't just a 'flat' Rescue Mission port.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Speaking of mediocre 3D platformers, has anyone played The Last Tinker: City of Colors? I saw it kinda recommended on My Life in Gaming but they warned that it wasn't anything great, just okay. It's on PS4, Xbox One, and PC.
Its not really a platformer, its more like a candy coated take on Assassin Creed style free running. The art style/vibe is really cool & they design really neat spaces but all you functionally do is hold R2 & press forward.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I really enjoyed Spyro 1 in the remastered collection. But I'm about 10% into the second game and just don't like it, gems scattered randomly everywhere for no reason, making it quite boring compared to the simple but purposeful level design of the first. The first one was a lot of fun to 100% levels right from the start.

The Ratchet trilogy and Sly trilogy remain among the best 3d platformers of all time. We need a Sly trilogy remaster.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I remember renting a 3D Platformer Pac-Man game on the Gamecube I think and actually really enjoying it.

It was simple, but it played well enough and the sound effects were great.

There are definitely some 3D Platformers I'm not a fan of, and my big complaint is usually when the levels get too large or the objectives are too obscure.

Banjo Tooie is an example of both of these things to me. The levels are so large they had to put in teleporters to let you navigate them faster (so much big empty space), and then they give Banjo and Kazooie so many new powers and abilities that I would literally forget about some moves because you use it so infrequently, like Banjo's Backpack Scoop move.

Yooka Laylee sadly fell closer to Banjo Tooie for me rather than Banjo Kazooie (which I feel like has perfectly sized levels). I was bummed that YL had a system where you "upgraded" the levels to make them even bigger, which was the last thing I want.

flyingorion

Dec 4, 2017
I feel exactly the same for all the same reasons TC. The jump from 2D to 3D happened in my pre-teens when any new interest became everything you thought about. Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and Donkey Kong 64 caught my imagination so much. I didn't have a PS1 at the time, but playing Crash Bandicoot at a demo was a fond memory. Same with Sonic Adventure which I finally played a few years on Gamecube.

In the time before open world games on console became all the rage, 3D platformers were the best way to show off 3D worlds. Also, most utilized every single bit of level space so that your exploration would be rewarded. Not to mention how zany world themes were so realized like. Then finally, it seems like 3D platformers are probably the most fun soundtracks to work on as a composer.

It's why I absolutely loved Yooka-Laylee. It really is a perfect homage to that lost spirit. It even has that one zany level type which was the Capital Cashino. The music and abstract bigger world on the inside than from outside vibe was pulled off so well.

I recommend going through Dreams and finding people's own 3D platformer user created levels. There's so many of them that give that fuzzy nostalgic feeling.

Anyone else ever play Scaler? That is the definition of a mediocre 6th gen 3D platformer I had a lot of fun with. There's so many underrated 3D platformers like Rocket: Robot On Wheels, Space Station Silicon Valley, Ty The Tasmanian Tiger, Gex 64, Pacman World 2, etc..

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed Spyro 1 in the remastered collection. But I'm about 10% into the second game and just don't like it, gems scattered randomly everywhere for no reason, making it quite boring compared to the simple but purposeful level design of the first. The first one was a lot of fun to 100% levels right from the start.

The Ratchet trilogy and Sly trilogy remain among the best 3d platformers of all time. We need a Sly trilogy remaster.
I just recently played through the Spyro trilogy and I shared the same sentiment. The first one was simple, but focused and really fun. The second and third stumble and lose their focus with the minigames/sidequests. I think I enjoyed the third game more than the second (despite the fact that there were a lot of other playable characters), so keep at it.