• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because Biden has technically been the actual front runner for the moment but people are ignoring him on an assumption he'll self-destruct. But with people following all the shinies he may just skirt by scott-free.

Jan 15, 2019
It's funny because Biden has technically been the actual front runner for the moment but people are ignoring him on an assumption he'll self-destruct.
After 2016 I'm super hesitant to say I feel certain about anything, but I'm pretty damn confident that Biden wouldn't survive the debates. Right now he's Obama's quirky ice cream loving buddy but once the debates start he's just, y'know, the guy spending most of a debate defending or apologizing for a ton of what he's done the last 30 years while maybe squeaking in an occasional point about how democrats should befriend republicans. I don't see a winning message for Biden in this environment.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because Biden has technically been the actual front runner for the moment but people are ignoring him on an assumption he'll self-destruct. But with people following all the shinies he may just skirt by scott-free.

he ain't skirting by, there are going to be nationally televised debates

I said it before, if the primary goes on and his numbers stay up expect era to start spitting venom his way. right now I don't think anyone views him as a serious contender.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how people NOW give a crap about crooked cop culture, when the face is a black woman.

Like can you guys be any more obvious?
You honestly think people who have issues with her record have never before cared about "crooked cop culture"? What possible basis in truth could you have for that?
"I have no way of knowing this, but I'm going to say it anyway in the hope that falsely accusing others of being racist/sexist will shut them up".

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
As if the post I quoted even qualifies as discussion.

it probably doesn't, but that's also not what you said. you said you "watched in real time as the Bernie crowd gave up on attacking Beto because it's becoming clear he's no longer the front runner and moving all that effort into Harris". my point isn't specifically about a particular quoted post, it's a point about this conversation more generally. and that point is of course we're going to talk about the frontrunners and the people who just announced and the people that have "buzz" more than the people that don't. like, that should be a given, and I don't understand why this is some kind of revelation. should we just keep shitting on beto, at the expense of discussing currently relevant candidates?

I didn't say it was a conspiracy, just expected

like, this shit. what's even the point of saying this? it SHOULD be expected that people are going to talk about the current high-profile candidates. that's completely normal and in no way indicative of anything whatsoever. what's the point of bringing this up in the thread unless you think it's somehow nefarious or evidence of bad faith?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've just come back from the future, and in a bizarre plot twist it gives you second thoughts about both of them, simultaneously
giphy.gif

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
That's really sad, but also not surprising. I guess it doesn't matter that she made it by locking up black people to support the modern slavery system in the industrial prison complex?
Question, did you vote for Hillary?

I did in 2016 but her husband was responsible for fucking over countless minorities in the 90s and empowering the prison industrial complex to have a fuck-ton of oppressive power. Bill did all of this shit, got impeached, and his approval ratings were still good. Goes to tell you how much people really pay attention to these things.

She still has a chance to make up for her past though, hopefully none of that 'reaching across the table' bullshit that the Clinton's preached and practiced.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After 2016 I'm super hesitant to say I feel certain about anything, but I'm pretty damn confident that Biden wouldn't survive the debates. Right now he's Obama's quirky ice cream loving buddy but once the debates start he's just, y'know, the guy spending most of a debate defending or apologizing for a ton of what he's done the last 30 years while maybe squeaking in an occasional point about how democrats should befriend republicans. I don't see a winning message for Biden in this environment.

That isn't how debates go and Biden's a particularly good debater. Politicians answer to that type of thing more in town halls. In debates it's more focused on the issues. Sure the debaters will attack each other but Biden is a good enough debater to have that wash over him.

In fact I'd say Biden's best quality is that he is a very good debater. If you're only relying on debates to take him down, I'm starting to think he might really skirt by.

it probably doesn't, but that's also not what you said. you said you "watched in real time as the Bernie crowd gave up on attacking Beto because it's becoming clear he's no longer the front runner and moving all that effort into Harris". my point isn't specifically about a particular quoted post, it's a point about this conversation more generally. and that point is of course we're going to talk about the frontrunners and the people who just announced and the people that have "buzz" more than the people that don't. like, that should be a given, and I don't understand why this is some kind of revelation. should we just keep shitting on beto, at the expense of discussing currently relevant candidates?

like, this shit. what's even the point of saying this? it SHOULD be expected that people are going to talk about the current high-profile candidates. that's completely normal and in no way indicative of anything whatsoever. what's the point of bringing this up in the thread unless you think it's somehow nefarious or evidence of bad faith?

I said it's funny to watch, which is to say it's funny to watch the attack dogs target change when something shiny is waved in front of them. Not saying it's a conspiracy, just commenting on it is all. Beto was barely in the spotlight for a week before people started bringing up random-ass nothing shit about him. Frankly, I'm glad he faded from relevence, but I'm just expecting this hose of grabbing everything that could be construed as negative to come up against whoever threatens good ol' Bernie.

I did in 2016 but her husband was responsible for fucking over countless minorities in the 90s and empowering the prison industrial complex to have a fuck-ton of oppressive power. Bill did all of this shit, got impeached, and his approval ratings were still good. Goes to tell you how much people really pay attention to these things.

She still has a chance to make up for her past though, hopefully none of that 'reaching across the table' bullshit that the Clinton's preached and practiced.

While you're mentioning it, Bernie actually did vote for that crime bill and Hillary didn't even have the opportunity to do so. Yet somehow that only ever stuck as an attack vector against Hillary.

Jan 15, 2019

It's kind of amazing how far the democrats have actually shifted since the 90's. On some issues you can go back and listen to Bill Clinton speeches where he's saying things that would be harsh even for Republicans today. Particularly the "tough on crime" shit. Bill Clinton today, if he was transposed straight from '92 to now, straight up wouldn't be a democrat.

Jan 15, 2019
That isn't how debates go and Biden's a particularly good debater. Politicians answer to that type of thing more in town halls. In debates it's more focused on the issues. Sure the debaters will attack each other but Biden is a good enough debater to have that wash over him.

In fact I'd say Biden's best quality is that he is a very good debater. If you're only relying on debates to take him down, I'm starting to think he might really skirt by
I'm watching over the first 2008 primary debate now and I'll update you with my thoughts on how he handles debates. I know he embarrassed Paul Ryan pretty handily in 2012 but... it's Paul Ryan.

edit- just realized the first debate in the '08 dem primary took place in April of '07. Wow.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
It's kind of amazing how far the democrats have actually shifted since the 90's. On some issues you can go back and listen to Bill Clinton speeches where he's saying things that would be harsh even for Republicans today. Particularly the "tough on crime" shit. Bill Clinton today, if he was transposed straight from '92 to now, straight up wouldn't be a democrat.
To me, Bill was center right parading as a democrat and it worked with flying colors.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

My amusement was the angle of Beto being this establishment pushed candidate and how that narrative just evaporates when the next notable contender actually announces. But yes, people that trend take up the conversation, I never suggested differently

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It'll happen when he announces.
See, I'm not even sure about that. Beto hasn't even announced yet and people were jumping all over him a week after he lost his race. I'm thinking the assumption that Biden will implode and that the average primary voter couldn't POSSIBLY go for someone to the right of the general party just makes people ignore him, when, the fact is, the majority of voters don't even consider leftness or rightness at all but rather whoever has the best mood going for them.

Oh, and say the word tax cuts and america's great a few times charismatically and point to Obama's record as your own and people will love you without parsing the details.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Cop homewrecker Harris sleeping her way to the top with her WHITE husband, not even eligible to be president because where's her birth certificate.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Multiple people have called Bernie a racist, multiple news sites have reported Bernie's racist statements.

He's a racist.

So you see how ridiculous this line of reasoning is?

My amusement was the angle of Beto being this establishment pushed candidate and how that narrative just evaporates when the next notable contender actually announces. But yes, people that trend take up the conversation, I never suggested differently
Beto got cancelled because he's not a true Dem. Party loyalty!

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
This is the second time he's done the whole "run before you walk" thing, and it's kinda off-putting.
I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's really fair.

Pete has zero paths forward within Indiana. IN-2 was gerrymandered into an R+10-12 district after 2010. If Pence were still around I'm sure he'd be gearing up to challenge him for governor, but Holcomb's been governing relatively moderately and has ridiculously high net approvals. Todd Young hasn't done anything crazy or notable enough to be vulnerable given the state's hard R lean, so his next shot would be challenging Braun in 6 years. All the while, the state is trending deeper red, not purple, so even that would likely be impossible by then.

His only shot is through the executive by running a longshot campaign and garnering enough attention to merit a cabinet position or VP, if he's lucky. Or the top job itself if all the stars align just right.

But he's a super intelligent, genuine, and promising politician with a ton of potential on the national stage. It'd be a shame and a waste for him to be stuck in Indiana his whole life.

I feel the same way.

I had no clue he existed before he announced his run, but I have been very impressed by what I've heard and read thus far.
I'm from the South Bend area and he was legitimately a really good mayor. Anyone who lived there 10 years ago can instantly notice the difference in the city. He's always come across as sincere and is very well liked in the area.

Kicking myself in the ass for not interning at his office 3 years ago like I was considering lol.

Jan 15, 2019
Yeah, except mayors don't typically put parents in jail if their kids skip school.
I'm just not really a fan of oversimplifications that serve to undermine a candidate rather than earnestly assess their choices, and unfortunately I see a lot of that here for just about every candidate. Bernie's a racist, Gillibrand's an opportunist, Kamala's a cop, etc etc. It starts to feel like sports fans arguing over the Rams and the Patriots rather than anything productive.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just not really a fan of oversimplifications that serve to undermine a candidate rather than earnestly assess their choices, and unfortunately I see a lot of that here for just about every candidate. Bernie's a racist, Gillibrand's an opportunist, Kamala's a cop, etc etc. It starts to feel like sports fans arguing over the Rams and the Patriots rather than anything productive.
Who said we're trying to be productive. We're trying to be right!

I agree with you.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's really fair.

Pete has zero paths forward within Indiana. IN-2 was gerrymandered into an R+10-12 district after 2010. If Pence were still around I'm sure he'd be gearing up to challenge him for governor, but Holcomb's been governing relatively moderately and has ridiculously high net approvals. Todd Young hasn't done anything crazy or notable enough to be vulnerable given the state's hard R lean, so his next shot would be challenging Braun in 6 years. All the while, the state is trending deeper red, not purple, so even that would likely be impossible by then.

His only shot is through the executive by running a longshot campaign and garnering enough attention to merit a cabinet position or VP, if he's lucky. Or the top job itself if all the stars align just right.

But he's a super intelligent, genuine, and promising politician with a ton of potential on the national stage. It'd be a shame and a waste for him to be stuck in Indiana his whole life.

I mean, he could move. Wouldn't be the first politician to do so.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
See, I'm not even sure about that. Beto hasn't even announced yet and people were jumping all over him a week after he lost his race. I'm thinking the assumption that Biden will implode and that the average primary voter couldn't POSSIBLY go for someone to the right of the general party just makes people ignore him, when, the fact is, the majority of voters don't even consider leftness or rightness at all but rather whoever has the best mood going for them.

Oh, and say the word tax cuts and america's great a few times charismatically and point to Obama's record as your own and people will love you without parsing the details.

Beto got attention because he seemed to be very clearly ramping up to an announcement after the midterms, which made it seem like he was imminently going to run.

Biden isn't going to do that because his profile is very high already and he won't need to do anything until his announcement.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, trying to have a nuanced conversation here is very difficult over the din of a handful of folks' glib, reductionist characterization of all candidates that aren't Bernie Sanders. I would prefer that all candidates be looked at holistically but for some reason it seems too many folks want to stuff away Bernie's many shortcomings while dumbing down takes on the other candidates with either CENTRISTS or LIBS or COP or ESTABLISHMENT and when those fail, with very tired and shitty memes.

Jan 15, 2019
Honestly, trying to have a nuanced conversation here is very difficult over the din of a handful of folks' glib, reductionist characterization of all candidates that aren't Bernie Sanders. I would prefer that all candidates be looked at holistically but for some reason it seems too many folks want to stuff away Bernie's many shortcomings while dumbing down takes on the other candidates with either CENTRISTS or LIBS or COP or ESTABLISHMENT and when those fail, with very tired and shitty memes.
Wouldn't mind a policy against posting memes here altogether, to be honest. Or maybe set up a separate thread for them. I think that's a reasonable baseline of conversation personally. To borrow an Obama phrase, we're deep in "silly season."

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beto got attention because he seemed to be very clearly ramping up to an announcement after the midterms, which made it seem like he was imminently going to run.

Biden isn't going to do that because his profile is very high already and he won't need to do anything until his announcement.

Beto went radio silent after his election loss, more or less. I mean, all he really said to hint was that he was considering the future after his loss (which is a generic as fuck line for a losing politician). There was a lot of TALK about him running for president mostly from his fans. He only did the road trip thing recently, but Biden's been going around making speeches in which he very obviously hints toward the presidency for the past month.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When Harris decided she wanted to be state AG she had to buddy up to CA police organizations. That led to her taking some dubious positions and actions on law enforcement issues. She's going to have to answer for that however much folks want her to by the new and improved Yas Queen Slay!

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Re: Beto, to be honest, who knows at this point. We all thought he'd announce at the Oprah event, but there was this article a few days ago where he said his decision may be months away.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/25/orourke-2020-decision-months-away-1126571
Beto O'Rourke said Friday that it could take him months to decide whether to run for president, adding that he does not want to "raise expectations" about a 2020 bid.

O'Rourke told POLITICO after a speaking engagement here that he has no timetable for making a decision, which he said could "potentially" be months away.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, he could move. Wouldn't be the first politician to do so.
I guess... carpet bagging feels a little dirty but nobody really seemed to mind Romney doing it recently.

Idk, I just feel like in a post-Trump world, coupled with the further acceleration of the urban/rural divide and polarization, we should start getting used to Mayors jumping straight to a national run on the Dem side. Because in a lot of states they aren't going to have many other choices.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Cop Harris should answer for her copness.

Gun company loving tough on crime anti immigration nuclear waste dumping Bernie should probably be given a pass though, like a white person who's just a bit uncomfortable voting for a black person.

Because when you build a brand based on unwavering consistency and alwaysbeingright, it makes perfect sense to be the only one allowed to shift positions on anything.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should we be taking lessons on "nuanced conversation" from your posts about Bernie being a racist?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When Harris decided she wanted to be state AG she had to buddy up to CA police organizations. That led to her taking some dubious positions and actions on law enforcement issues. She's going to have to answer for that however much folks want her to by the new and improved Yas Queen Slay!
I... really wish I didn't have to read that turn of phrase toward any politician again in my life and Harris is the primary contender I dislike least. I barely tolerated it with Hillary.

Re: Beto, to be honest, who knows at this point. We all thought he'd announce at the Oprah event, but there was this article a few days ago where he said his decision may be months away.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/25/orourke-2020-decision-months-away-1126571

Honestly, I think he didn't actually intend to run in 2020 in the first place but only started putting shit together when his fans were getting hyped up for it. Now he's probably examining the field and whether or not there's a place for him. Hopefully he decides against it and gets back in the house of reps and later dethrones Ted as demographics change in Texas.

I guess... carpet bagging feels a little dirty but nobody really seemed to mind Romney doing it recently.

Idk, I just feel like in a post-Trump world, coupled with the further acceleration of the urban/rural divide and polarization, we should start getting used to Mayors jumping straight to a national run on the Dem side. Because in a lot of states they aren't going to have many other choices.
Honestly, I'd rather not have mayors be considered good enough for the presidency by themselves. Most actual corruption happens on the local city level, and that's especially true in big cities. Now, I'm not applying this to everyone in local government or anything, but I prefer if someone has had national office or a governorship as that's harder to bribe and, you know, they actually have experience in the full national law-making process.

Status
Not open for further replies.