• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
While I didn't hate it, I really abhor how it tells it's story. I'm about 6 hours in and nothing is forming or hitting me like most people on here say it would. Maybe I didn't get far enough, but I clearly didn't get what everyone here sees in it.
I finished it and it only gets worse from there imo.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Asked previously but I didn't get an answer, I like VNs and JRPGs and RTS games but thought that Vanillaware's games sucked so far. Will I like this?
The game plays out mostly like a VN in that the story is told by controlling one of the characters and interacting with NPCs or the environment. It's mechanically very simple in that sense, and most of the game is played in this mode.

If you don't like Vanillaware's games for their mechanics, there is a sizable SRPG-style combat portion of this game, but the main draw is the story portion. You can turn down the difficulty of the combat portions to just breeze through if you don't want to deal with them.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait there's a new PSN sale? Pretty sure 13 Sentinels wasn't part of the holiday sale.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was waiting for a discount, thanks OP, it is now bought!

Backlog
tenor.gif

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Saw all of the positive buzz and picked this up last year. I played for quite a few hours and dropped it. I just don't think the story is quite as good as what was being made out.

I was going in fully expecting Disco Elysium levels of story prowess the writing all just felt a bit disappointing with a lot of the usual tropes intact. Probably my own high expectations are at fault rather than the game. Everyone just kept saying how there was mind blowing twists and it just felt like a normal interweaving
time travel
story to me.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The game plays out mostly like a VN in that the story is told by controlling one of the characters and interacting with NPCs or the environment. It's mechanically very simple in that sense, and most of the game is played in this mode.

If you don't like Vanillaware's games for their mechanics, there is a sizable SRPG-style combat portion of this game, but the main draw is the story portion. You can turn down the difficulty of the combat portions to just breeze through if you don't want to deal with them.

As far as the combat difficulty goes, I've managed to S rank every mission without really thinking while playing, and have never had a unit go down either. Just use the units that can summon sentry turrets and spam away :D

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
I played Dragon's Crown and it was terrible. People compared it to Golden Axe and boy was that insult to Golden Axe. Muramasa was more tolerable but I still dropped it after two hours.

Looking through their wiki it seems Odin Sphere was their only game to review well enough for incredible to be used?

Odin Sphere is one of my favorite games of all time, so I get that I'm totally biased. Also I really loved GrimGrimoire. Anyway, I don't mean to come across as the Vanillaware defense force because they are pretty niche. I do love all of their games though.

NNN

Nov 1, 2017
Omg after I finished Yakuza last night I was about immediately buy this but I didn't. Less that 12 hours and it's 50% off. I guess I'm lucky :D

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Omg after I finished Yakuza last night I was about immediately buy this but I didn't. Less that 12 hours and it's 50% off. I guess I'm lucky :D

I've been playing Yakuza Like A Dragon and 13 Sentinels concurrently on the weekend. 1 night is Yakuza, the other night is 13 Sentinels. I just finished Yakuza last weekend, so I'll be finishing 13 Sentinels in a few days.

Bran

Oct 25, 2017
They should've put Odin Sphere on sale, too. šŸ˜”

I played Dragon's Crown and it was terrible. People compared it to Golden Axe and boy was that insult to Golden Axe.
Oh gosh, Dragon's Crown is more like the old Capcom D&D games redesigned with tons of grinding. Sorry you were misled! :(

NNN

Nov 1, 2017
I've been playing Yakuza Like A Dragon and 13 Sentinels concurrently on the weekend. 1 night is Yakuza, the other night is 13 Sentinels. I just finished Yakuza last weekend, so I'll be finishing 13 Sentinels in a few days.

I loved Yakuza and I'm done with most of the side stuff too. I've been meaning to buy 13 Sentinels since launch but been busy with work and school. I hope it's good!

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
I bought this game full price on Christmas Day.

Normally a sale like this popping up later would make me angry.

But since 13 Sentinels has, without hyperbole, become one of my favourite games ever made, I think it deserves every cent it can make.

At $29.99? That's an absolute steal folks. Please play this game.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
PSN site failing to load the price/add to cart half the time is getting pretty old like 2 months in now.

jtoVDIS.png

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Mm, not as much of a discount on the EU store. Still quite pricey. Jealous of how this game keeps going for bargain prices in the US.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Keep hearing this game's name on Reserera, decide to google it to see what it is.... annnnnnd looks like it's a typical Japanese game with underage characters. No thanks.

Brilliant mind of ResetEra have ascertained the nature of this game via Google Search!

Absolute genius. Truly valuable opinion.

KevdotL

Oct 25, 2017
$39 CDN. Deal expires 2021--01-20. Strongly considering it.

Last edited:

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't already, buy this game ppl.

One of my favorites narratives of this past year.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can I get a good quick video on what it's about to sell it to me? Everyone says buy but my backlog is infinite.

Oct 27, 2017
My GOTY for last year. Great game.
Side note, Judgment is also $19.99

Judgment

From the team that brought you the critically acclaimed Yakuza series comes Judgment, a gritty tale of disgraced attorney Takayuki Yagami in his quest for redemption. Haunted by his past, he takes up arms as a private detective, clawing his way through Kamurochoā€™s underground crime network to...
Also recommend this.

My favourite "Yakuza" after 0. The combat is awesome and the story is amazing.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
PROTECC MIWA-CHAN

Seriously, the game is damn good. It didn't quite reach the levels of 999 or Virtue's Last Reward for me, but it's still a solid experience overall. The characters are amazing and the art style is gorgeous.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Wish I had held out till this sale. It was just fine for me as a number of issues keep its ambitions from materializing into a truly fantastic game, but I really enjoyed the game around the halfway point up till the last quarter of the game.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If you don't like visual novels this game won't change your mind. I bought it due to Eras word of mouth but do not enjoy it. Been forcing myself through it.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it, not as much as maybe other people but I absolutely DETEST walking sim games and found the combat parts of 13S good enough to keep me through finishing the game and platinuming it.

I wouldn't buy it digitally though, its the kind of game you finish in 20-35 hours (top end max for platinum, can't really miss anything) and no reason at all to replay. I bought physical copy, which comes with a nice artbook, for $30 during black friday and sold on ebay for $40. I think physical copies may be a bit harder to find even now so I could see the value going up if they don't reprint it.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I sold my launch copy for pretty much break even after getting the Platinum, and I have $90 in my PSN Wallet.

I may end up buying it again to support the game!

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Wish I had held out till this sale. It was just fine for me as a number of issues keep its ambitions from materializing into a truly fantastic game, but I really enjoyed the game around the halfway point up till the last quarter of the game.

Can you elaborate? I feel like this is the case with every game from this studio that I've played, unfortunately. I'm curious about 13 Sentinels but am worried I won't like it.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting a brawler type game, based on Vanillaware, but it's more of a strategy game? I dig the art style though, I'll check it out.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw all of the positive buzz and picked this up last year. I played for quite a few hours and dropped it. I just don't think the story is quite as good as what was being made out.

I was going in fully expecting Disco Elysium levels of story prowess the writing all just felt a bit disappointing with a lot of the usual tropes intact. Probably my own high expectations are at fault rather than the game. Everyone just kept saying how there was mind blowing twists and it just felt like a normal interweaving
time travel
story to me.

Why on earth where you expecting Disco Elysium story prowess? The story was brilliant in my opinion but it's not really going to compare with a full fledged RPG that was heavy on narration and branching storylines/choices. Seems a bit ridiculous to expect that.

PROTECC MIWA-CHAN

Seriously, the game is damn good. It didn't quite reach the levels of 999 or Virtue's Last Reward for me, but it's still a solid experience overall. The characters are amazing and the art style is gorgeous.

I really liked Miwa
glad we saw more of her at the end

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
god damnit I bought it like last week at full price.

Of course I haven't actually played it yet either loool

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 27 hours in and absolutely loving it. The combat is excellent, and the story is mind blowing. BUY IT!

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
15ish hours in as of last night and it's really dope. Def play it if you're interested.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017

time travel
story to me.
I love Disco Elysium. This is not Disco Elysium. None of the characters here are all that deep. This is a fun genre piece delivered in a very unique way.

I'm not usually that into plot-focused stories, but by the end of the prologue 13 Sentinels hooked me because I liked how the scope of the story gradually expanded in unexpected ways, and I was enjoying trying to put the pieces I was seeing together as I was playing. The nonlinear presentation encouraged me to try to build the context as I went around what I was seeing, when it was happening, and how it connected to the events other characters participated in.

What pleasantly surprised me as I continued was that the game manages to continue to raise interesting questions through most of its runtime in a way that kept me off-balance without undermining what I had seen before, and it sticks the landing on tying all those questions together at the end in a way that is both logically and thematically satisfying.

I don't think its mode of storytelling is going to work for everyone, but it worked for me and delivered something that felt very new.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I was expecting a brawler type game, based on Vanillaware, but it's more of a strategy game? I dig the art style though, I'll check it out.
It has an adventure type mode where most of the story plays out via playing through the stories of 13 characters and a second mode that has tower defense like combat.

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
God damnit, the backlog never stops growing.

edit: can anyone who's played it say weather it's playable on a regular PS4? Google tells me the framerate struggles on a PS4 Pro, so I'm a bit worried about how it'll be on a regular one. Still getting it either way.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Medical issues have prevented me from playing past the first couple battles but as someone who was very unsure about it, it's fucking awesome.

AfterZero

Oct 27, 2017
Over 25 hours in and I think I'm nearing the end.

It's an okay game. No more, no less.

The story is decent and nice to watch unfold I guess, but what's there (in terms of twists and layers) just isn't interesting enough to justify all the time jumps, non-linear story progression, and intertwining stories of each character. The localization is nice, though. But, the writing and story beats are mediocre-to-dissapointing overall.

Last edited: