• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Well to be fair to China, they believe in climate change. At least they're not actively trying to boil the planet alive.

Pollution, lack of industrial safety, etc. says otherwise. Do as I say, not as I do isn't a good look.

China also says it believes in civil liberties and fair trade.

I am not going to pretend to know which is the best and worst.
But can't these same links be found of America? Just asking.
It would be great if we have more people from China joining this conversation.

Ah, I see. You are "Just asking questions!" (tm).

They wouldn't need to crests a new OS. Android is open source. They would need to create an App Store. That's where they would have no chance of succeeding.

It's not the app store. It's the services support that matters. Without Play Services or an equivalent, many apps will have failures.

Yeah but i don't know what you have to worry about if you don't live in China? The West democracy would not be able to implement all of that without pushback.

Friends. Family. Co-workers. And you should worry regardless. I don't cross any international border without encrypted devices.

Poor US. It must not that be having elected an orange turned as president who is fucking with worldwide trade in every way he can, while every American cheers on, is a cause for concern.

You might want to stop watching RT if you think "every American" supports Trump. Most of the country dislikes him, and they're pretty vocal about it.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samsung is a leading brand and it's none American

This is not about the US destroying Chinese companies. The xenophobia angle has been brought up and largely discredited. Citing a few xenophobes in the 1980s hand wringing about Japanese cars and electronics doesn't make a rule. At the end of the day Nintendo and Sony are still dominant so are Toyota and Honda
The reputation of those companies took decades to build and Asians in the US had the same rhetoric used against China today was used against Japan in those same decades. The resulting racism against Asians in that period was so bad that our so-called leaders decided to Chan it up with promoting the model minority myth, but that still didn't end the virulent violence and racism. If you don't know our history, then maybe you shouldn't be opining about how meaningless it is.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
One spies in a more limited capacity in a context where the population has some form of recourse in addressing abuse. If it's revealed it can be addressed. We've seen this in the US. And citizens actually have a justice system to fight individual consequences of abuse.

China has no such infrastructure. The system of government doesn't allow it. There is no recourse for the people in camps. The consequences of what is a much, much more extensive spying apparatus are far greater in scope and there's no fighting back.

"Spying = spying, no further analysis necessary" is lazy.
That's what I am telling. What are the consequences for the spying that the US is doing? Because I haven't seen it (but maybe I missed it). What has been the result of all the spying that the US has done? I don't think we know the scope of that.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Pollution, lack of industrial safety, etc. says otherwise. Do as I say, not as I do isn't a good look.

It's not the app store. It's the services support that matters. Without Play Services or an equivalent, many apps will have failures.

Friends. Family. Co-workers. And you should worry regardless. I don't cross any international border without encrypted devices.

You might want to stop watching RT if you think "every American" supports Trump. Most of the country dislikes him, and they're pretty vocal about it.
What does the "Ah I see you are just asking questions" mean?
Can't I ask questions? This forum seems to have problems with me asking questions? Should I instead pretend that I know everything?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ban huawei from the USA completely, but leave the rest of the world make their own decisions.
I thought Google was not a tool of the government.
The rest of the world is still allowed to do business with Huawei. It's just American companies that are forbidden to now. The issue is that Huawei depends on tech from those American companies.

Nov 9, 2017
Complaining about NATO defense budgets and threatening to pull out is actually one for one what Trump has done. Why do Trump's arguments get more and more traction on this board? Was he ahead of his time, a misunderstood genius?

I don't think that the US should do it. Russia and China are essentially banding together to take on the West and overthrow democracy, we need to work together.

I just want to understand the thought process that the US is the oppressive world police and needs to be stopped, but then also at the same time thinking the US needs to remain in NATO and that Western European countries should not increase defense spending. Wouldn't you want the oppresive world police out of the equation and to have your own people in charge of your self-defense to protect yourself from countries like the US?

Eriol

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
Can't I ask questions? This forum seems to have problems with me asking questions? Should I instead pretend that I know everything?
He is trying to antagonize you.

Also Keep doing good work USA

https://www.ft.com/content/6bd052b2-7aef-11e9-81d2-f785092ab560?sharetype=blocked

For the folks that keep shouting, "but china blocked all these companies/services"

USA actions are blocking Huawei worldwide, isnt even comparable.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I am telling. What are the consequences for the spying that the US is doing? Because I haven't seen it (but maybe I missed it). What has been the result of all the spying that the US has done? I don't think we know the scope of that.

Court cases, elections and laws. Did you think it would be important to look into these things first? Warrantless searches by the NSA were revealed and that set off a shit load of actions. The program was stopped.

Do you imagine anything like that is possible in China? People suing the government, citizens electing representative to pass new laws addressing it or protests against it?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Nice mental gymnastics.
It's not. Even game consoles have chips like CPUs and GPUs fabbed.outside China and shipped in for.assembly

As pointed out earlier assemblers like Foxconn are moving their assembly out of China to insulate themselves from this trade war.

My point is a lot of made in China electronics are really assembled in China with capacitors from thailand, GPUs fabbed in Taiwan , memory from Japan and Korea and designed in the US

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
China spying on you is bad, we must protect you from this. Only our intelligence community may spy on you
That's one less government spying on me at least.

I rather have none, but one is better than two.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
The reputation of those companies took decades to build and Asians in the US had the same rhetoric used against China today was used against Japan in those same decades. The resulting racism against Asians in that period was so bad that our so-called leaders decided to Chan it up with promoting the model minority myth, but that still didn't end the virulent violence and racism. If you don't know our history, then maybe you shouldn't be opining about how meaningless it is.
The fact that this Dekuman dude is Asian but does not see anything of this is weird as hell.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Everytime someone claims post evidence, then people do and you all dissapear only to pop up with the same fake defense force posts.

Fuck off and read. I'm done talking to shams like you
I don't see the evidence. The European Comisión has not seen any evidence either.
Huawei phones are designed in China, along with many of their chips. So are other brands like One plus, OPPO, etc. Display tech is designed in great measure in China. So is a lot of the manufacturing tech in general. ARM Holdings is a British company. The most advanced silicon manufacturing is done in Asia.
More and more, American companies are specializing in software and leaving hardware to others.
Speaking of ironic, you say that the US wants to be the world police but I don't think any NATO countries actually spend on their own defense what is required in the treaty. A lot of Americans would be very happy if you guys started to invest in your own defense and rely less on the US military. Trump probably doesn't want you to though, since he would prefer to have a reason to pump all that money in the military.

I wonder how much NATO country economies would change if the US pulled out of NATO? Think Russia might get a little bit more ballsy, grabbing land back that they feel was stolen from them?
These are literally Trump talking points. And the US has threatened the EU with sanctions for legislation that will make defense spending more efficient.

Every American seems to support his foreign policy with Iran and China and trade. I couldn't care less what they think about his domestic policy, I don't live there.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
China spying on you is bad, we must protect you from this. Only our intelligence community may spy on you
Exactly.

Also LOL at calling Trump's USA an ally, if anything, they don't even protect their own citizens, look at Puerto Rico; much less a bunch of "brown people".

I think on the coming years many countries will have to decide on which country they will be allies of. Whose is going to whom, I don't know, but you can't ignore China's economy, doing so is very unwise.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

It's a well trodden path by right wing conservatives, especially when laced with whataboutisms and "both sides!"

You see the same rhetorical device used often by Glenn Beck, Hannity, Trump, pro-Gamergate folks, etc.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Court cases, elections and laws. Did you think it would be important to look into these things first? Warrantless searches by the NSA were revealed and that set off a shit load of actions. The program was stopped.

Do you imagine anything like that is possible in China? People suing the government, citizens electing representative to pass new laws addressing it or protests against it?
Do you have the impression that I should brush up on the subject? I thought I didn't need to get too deep in the knowledge part to state my case. And no I probably don't know as much as you or as many do here. But I didn't think it wouldn't make my statements irrelevant.
I am not certain (but it could be my lack of knowledge) that we know everything we know about the spying that we think. Not because there was a shit load of actions that there isn't a great layer underneath it all. But if it isn't then I stand corrected and then a great deal of my defense goes away.
I have heard many conflicting things about China. That's why I state again that it would be great if Chinese people would chime in. But if you would ask me I would say no it would not be possible to sue the government and such.
But that doesn't make the other better. You cannot sue what you do not know (and I am not only talking about the US spying on itself but also foreigners). But that depends if we know everything about the US spying and also what the results were.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
It's a well trodden path by right wing conservatives, especially when laced with whataboutisms and "both sides!"

You see the same rhetorical device used often by Glenn Beck, Hannity, Trump, pro-Gamergate folks, etc.
I try to be as honest as I can be. I hope that is enough.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have the impression that I should brush up on the subject? I thought I didn't need to get too deep in the knowledge part to state my case. And no I probably don't know as much as you or as many do here. But I didn't think it wouldn't make my statements irrelevant.
I am not certain (but it could be my lack of knowledge) that we know everything we know about the spying that we think. Not because there was a shit load of actions that there isn't a great layer underneath it all. But if it isn't then I stand corrected and then a great deal of my defense goes away.
I have heard many conflicting things about China. That's why I state again that it would be great if Chinese people would chime in. But if you would ask me I would say no it would not be possible to sue the government and such.
But that doesn't make the other better. You cannot sue what you do not know (and I am not only talking about the US spying on itself but also foreigners). But that depends if we know everything about the US spying and also what the results were.

Do you think it's easier for us to find out about abuses in the US or in China?

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
Good to see that each and every other thread regarding Huawei needs to end up in the shithole and that is not possible to talk about Huawei tech without the usual arguments.
Also good to see the usual people being so highly invested into this subject that is almost worrying for their health.

Did we get already the "China shill"? or the "you are a china spy" bs? What about the "Good citizen, here it's the 5 points"?
FFS.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Huawei phones are designed in China, along with many of their chips. So are other brands like One plus, OPPO, etc. Display tech is designed in great measure in China. So is a lot of the manufacturing tech in general. ARM Holdings is a British company. The most advanced silicon manufacturing is done in Asia.
More and more, American companies are specializing in software and leaving hardware to others.

I was responding to a post speaking generally about electronics from China. Most are not designed there and components are sourced all over so Foxconn can just move manufacturing out

Huawei phones are not popular in the west

Last edited:

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The program was not stopped for anything they do outside the US last time I checked. As a European I have hard proof (NSA leaks) that the US spies on me, with the help of (nearly) every American company (which have a monopoly on data and services) ...

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017

But why are we worried about how another country under a different type of government is running their country? China has been in existence for 5000 years and is now a global power again. They must be doing something right. Have you asked a huge majority of Chinese citizens how they feel about living in China? I know we want to push our democracy and how we got it so good because we get to talk shit about our leaders while they make us pay for expensive education, expensive healthcare, let pharmaceutical companies sell addictive drugs to our neighbors and creating thousands of addicts in our country, and send our children to die in endless wars in the middle east.

At this point, Americans do not have the right to be the moral high ground. Lets just be honest and admit that we are just trying to hold onto our position as the global hegemony.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Every American seems to support his foreign policy with Iran and China and trade. I couldn't care less what they think about his domestic policy, I don't live there.

You're going to need to provide receipts for an overly broad claim like that. That's like an American claiming "Every European seems to be against Muslim immigration" because they saw some shit story on Fox News that made the claim.

Deleted member 36543

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
What a strange post. Do you think people from Asia are some kind of hive mind?

The reality is the PRC's neighbours despise it most of all.
Not hive mind but all Asians in Western country would have gone through the Asian experience. Its not the worst experience compared to the races ( African Americans, Middle-eastern, etc) but its there if you open your eyes.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The program was not stopped for anything they do outside the US last time I checked. As a European I have hard proof (NSA leaks) that the US spies on me, with the help of (nearly) every American company (which have a monopoly on data and services) ...

702 is still around. But it's known about. We know what the FISA court is. The EFF and other groups fight and exert pressure and changes happen.

But why are we worried about how another country under a different type of government is running their country? China has been in existence for 5000 years and is now a global power again. They must be doing something right. Have you asked a huge majority of Chinese citizens how they feel about living in China? I know we want to push our democracy and how we got it so good because we get to talk shit about our leaders while they make us pay for expensive education, expensive healthcare, let pharmaceutical companies sell addictive drugs to our neighbors and creating thousands of addicts in our country, and send our children to die in endless wars in the middle east.

At this point, Americans do not have the right to be the moral high ground. Lets just be honest and admit that we are just trying to hold onto our position as the global hegemony.

There are hundreds of thousands of religious minorities in concentration camps in China. The social credit system is being used to collect information on people who pray a certain way so they can be identified. We should care.

Deleted member 431

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not hive mind but all Asians in Western country would have gone through the Asian experience. Its not the worst experience compared to the races ( African Americans, Middle-eastern, etc) but its there if you open your eyes.
I get that, but why would someone then go defend the PRC solely because they are Asian-American? Is the CCP the guardian of all Asians worldwide? I don't understand what point you or the other poster are trying to make.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Do you think it's easier for us to find out about abuses in the US or in China?
To be honest that is a difficult question. I think it is easier to find out about the abuses of China. Because they use a more direct way than the US. The US has been in the spying game a lot longer and has a much wider reach( maybe China is making up ground fast) and is much more sophisticated and it has also more close (historic) allies to help them on a higher level. And the US has more to win to find these abuses because China is such a closed country and in that way, the US can exploit that to the best of their advantage. I hope that I interpreted your question correctly.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest that is a difficult question. I think it is easier to find out about the abuses of China. Because they use a more direct way than the US. The US has been in the spying game a lot longer and has a much wider reach( maybe China is making up ground fast) and is much more sophisticated and it has also more close (historic) allies to help them on a higher level. And the US has more to win to find these abuses because China is such a closed country and in that way, the US can exploit that to the best of their advantage. I hope that I interpreted your question correctly.

So you think a free society with a civilian government has a harder time discovering abuses than a dictatorship? I'm not sure why anyone would think that because it doesn't make any sense. You're trying very hard to avoid very obvious conclusions.

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Antagonizing members, post count shaming.
Surprise surprise, the same low post count members who always pop up in these threads to defend Huawei with bullshit false equivalencies are back again.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
He is trying to antagonize you.

Also Keep doing good work USA

https://www.ft.com/content/6bd052b2-7aef-11e9-81d2-f785092ab560?sharetype=blocked

For the folks that keep shouting, "but china blocked all these companies/services"

USA actions are blocking Huawei worldwide, isnt even comparable.

you mean the company that may or may not have ties to the government and its founder is a member of the communist party? Huawei did nothing so far to show transparency.

No They aren't blocking Huawei worldwide except maybe its laptop business which rely heavily on american companies with both hardware and software.

But i'm somewhat optimistic they have the resources to find a compromise with Google on releasing at least a dumbed down version of their services as optional, and they will invest heavily on App Gallery which is their App Store launched last year in Europe, they are already using it to push western developed apps in China.

Last edited:

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good lord this thread... how long before "[See threadmark]" appears?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Google reverses decision to cut ties with Huawei after US eases trade restrictions
U.S. pauses some restrictions on China's Huawei to keep networks operating

The U.S. Commerce Department will allow Huawei Technologies Co Ltd to purchase American-made goods in order to maintain existing networks and provide software updates to existing Huawei handsets.

The company is still prohibited from buying American parts and components to manufacture new products without license approvals that likely will be denied.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
So you think a free society with a civilian government has a harder time discovering abuses than a dictatorship? I'm not sure why anyone would think that because it doesn't make any sense. You're trying very hard to avoid very obvious conclusions.
I am sorry. Maybe my mind is not seeing it. I can only tell you what I think.
I am talking about the results of the spying. And what came out of it. Are we talking about the abuses that came from the spying? Or are we talking about something else?
Because in my mind spying in the deepest levels is something that is as much hidden in a democratic government as with a dictatorship.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
702 is still around. But it's known about. We know what the FISA court is. The EFF and other groups fight and exert pressure and changes happen.
The US has and continues to spy on me. Nothing proofed Huawei does the same.

It's just some strange flex to try and spin it as something righteous because China is bad all around.

The US should have just banned them as part of the trade war and spare us of the bullshit excuses. China did the same in the past.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Surprise surprise, the same low post count members who always pop up in these threads to defend Huawei with bullshit false equivalencies are back again.
Also, why do these posts always come up? Can't you choose which subjects interest you or where you post? Do you want to say that those that post here are bad people?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's a. 90 day reprieve. The underlyig order hasn't changed

Headline is misleading
Also, why do these posts always come up? Can't you choose which subjects interest you or where you post? Do you want to say that those that post here are bad people?
The fact you responded to clear bait says more about your intentions. Grats on being self aware