Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I super did not have "Toonami expands" on my bingo card at all at all

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they also finally snagged Sailor Moon Crystal?
Wasn't that the show that DeMarco said they saw how the show turned out & they felt like they dodged a bullet or something? Maybe I'm thinking of something else or it could've just been the fact it was licensing/Hulu had the exclusive rights. But either way, the fact they were able to get Sailor Moon back feels like something that should be bigger.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the retro content/expansion. Although on the other hand, having this and checkered past feels like they're running on fumes?

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that the show that DeMarco said they saw how the show turned out & they felt like they dodged a bullet or something? Maybe I'm thinking of something else or it could've just been the fact it was licensing/Hulu had the exclusive rights. But either way, the fact they were able to get Sailor Moon back feels like something that should be bigger.
I remember that comment. IIRC he hadn't seen the show when he made that comment and was going off of fan reactions.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the retro content/expansion. Although on the other hand, having this and checkered past feels like they're running on fumes?

Cartoon Network is probably gonna be phased out in the future imo.

Adult Swim/Toonami will be where new content debuts.

It's a bit weird to say, but there's just not a market for kids/teens in television anymore.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Curious how often the line-up will change, but given that they went with 3 long runners from the get-go, probably not for a good year or so.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up, DeMarco deactivated his Twitter & is now on Blue Sky.

bsky.app

FORTH ÉORLINGAS DEMARCO (@clarknova.bsky.social)

Jason DeMarco. Co-creator, Toonami. SVP of Action and Anime, Warner Discovery. Adult Swim O.G. Currently producing: FLCL Grunge/Shoegaze, Uzumaki, Rick and Morty: The Anime, Ninja Kamui, Lazarus, and Lord of the Rings: War of the Rohirrim

Right now, he's taking suggestions as to what should be on Toonami Rewind.

Someone recommend Zatch Bell & Bo-Bobo.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up, DeMarco deactivated his Twitter & is now on Blue Sky.

bsky.app

FORTH ÉORLINGAS DEMARCO (@clarknova.bsky.social)

Jason DeMarco. Co-creator, Toonami. SVP of Action and Anime, Warner Discovery. Adult Swim O.G. Currently producing: FLCL Grunge/Shoegaze, Uzumaki, Rick and Morty: The Anime, Ninja Kamui, Lazarus, and Lord of the Rings: War of the Rohirrim

Right now, he's taking suggestions as to what should be on Toonami Rewind.

Someone recommend Zatch Bell & Bo-Bobo.
Got you covered.
Though it looks like other people suggested them already anyway.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
TF1uWGc.jpeg

Episode 382 "The Valley of Farts"
In this week's episode Grexeno, ckohler, Seda and Crocodile discuss the finale, review and ranking of Ninja Kamui, picking the right RV in Zom 100, the Ton-Ton fruit, and the shocking reveal that Chino was the bad guy all along.

Audio:

Timecodes:
0:01:18 News: More re-runs coming, DeMarko tweets about Toonami
0:39:53 Ninja Kamui Finale and Review
1:05:47 Ninja Kamui Ranking
1:27:34 Zom 100
1:36:20 One Piece
1:46:54 Naruto Shippuden
1:53:29 Flavor Alert Award Nominations
2:00:47 Sign Offs

Visit the website:
Toonami Escape Podcast

Subscribe in your favorite podcast app using this address:
*Donald Glover for two podcasts*
Detective_Roger_Murtaugh_Danny_Glover_in_Lethal.original.jpg

Donald Glover does have a new album out so check it out.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Can someone actually post the details of rewind, Demarco deactivating his twitter deleted everything... (really wish he just stopped using it instead of going that far, historical posts are important IMO).

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Did not realize it was a ninja kamui marathon tonight....

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Might be the first time where it feels like nobody posted during a marathon.

Can someone actually post the details of rewind, Demarco deactivating his twitter deleted everything... (really wish he just stopped using it instead of going that far, historical posts are important IMO).
Aside from posting on his Blue Sky "hey, send suggestions on shows," the only other social media post was on Facebook. To sum it up:

- Starts on Friday, May 31st at 5pm Eastern & will be weekly.
- 2 hours of older Toonami shows with older style packaging (not an older TOM or SARA, though. They wanted to, but wasn't in their budget). To quote ANN, it's "classic older Toonami music and some older packaging that were recreated in HD for an anniversary broadcast."
- 5pm is the Viz dub of OG Sailor Moon, 5:30 & 6 is DBZ Kai, & 6:30 is Naruto.

Here's the promo trailer:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ahgcrOO9Jdg

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if I'm Crunchyroll I'm probably trying to figure out how to get an hour of One Piece on that block to try and get a popularity bump among the kids.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if I'm Crunchyroll I'm probably trying to figure out how to get an hour of One Piece on that block to try and get a popularity bump among the kids.
I find it kind of hilarious that Adult Swim's response to them being given more and more time during the week was just to play classic CN shows

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I find it kind of hilarious that Adult Swim's response to them being given more and more time during the week was just to play classic CN shows
The thing with OP is that it's kinda perfect for this format. There's enough episodes that it can run for two years straight, at an hour a weekday, and not see a single repeated episode.

SketchTF

Feb 5, 2022

That's ultimately up to Toei and they probably do want that.

But Crunchyroll would be the ones to talk to for Yu Yu Hakusho, Outlaw Star and probably Gundam Wing and G Gundam unfortunately. And they probably won't play.

If they're not on the phone with Sentai to get HD Big O season 1, they should be.

If Viz is the only company willing to make reasonable deals then there's certainly InuYasha and old Bleach but I can't imagine Toei wouldn't offer a sweet deal for One Piece episodes 1-206. The one downside being they will be cropped because the HD version for those episodes are cropped to wide screen.

It would actually be absolutely ridiculous for WBD to not let Toonami Rewind show Batman, Justice League or any DC show but chances are they won't make them affordable to air.

At any rate, this is such a wild development. If you had told me in 2004 that Toonami would be back on a weekday evening and showing uncut Sailor Moon I would have said you were delusional.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a development I hadn't seen coming. Toonami hasn't been on during a weekday since what? The early 2000s?

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
On that note, it's kind of wild that they're fine airing uncut Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Naruto at times kids would reasonably be awake now.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
On that note, it's kind of wild that they're fine airing uncut Sailor Moon, DBZ, and Naruto at times kids would reasonably be awake now.
I mean do any of those have anything worse than Frieza impaling Krillin with his horns? I remember that pretty distinctly happening on daytime Toonami

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I mean do any of those have anything worse than Frieza impaling Krillin with his horns? I remember that pretty distinctly happening on daytime Toonami
The original Toonami airing of Naruto cut a lot, including Naruto stabbing his hand during the Zabuza arc and the NaruSasu kiss (both had the audio but cut away, ironically making the latter seem more intense than it was).

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
The original Toonami airing of Naruto cut a lot, including Naruto stabbing his hand during the Zabuza arc and the NaruSasu kiss (both had the audio but cut away, ironically making the latter seem more intense than it was).
I mean CN has had Steven Universe on air at this point. I think they're past the point where they'll censor gay stuff.(besides unlike Steven Universe Toonami isn't something the stupid execs would necessarily be worried about airing in every country possible)

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I think of censorship regarding Toonami shows, I think of Sailor Moon. My brain just immediately sprints there.

Not just the cousin stuff, but how Zoisite was made a woman in the dub cause otherwise the show was too gay to air in the 90's/2000's.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Know what's more frustrating than finding your dogs chewed on your $400 headphones a few weeks ago, causing the noise cancelation to produce a faint vibrating sound on one side & making the bass absolutely overpowering, even when set at -9?

Having no damn luck with Sony Support, who were just like "yeah, out of warranty, even though you bought them 6 months ago, try this other website that you've never heard of & has people saying nothing but negative things about said site."

I dunno, just needed to vent. For some reason, right before my 4 day PTO, things have been stressful.

SketchTF

Feb 5, 2022

Pretty sure they toned down that scene in the Toonami version.

Naruto eventually ran with sparse edits but within the first 40 there's a fair amount of censorship to stabbing and other acts of violence. Particularly stuff involving Gaara killing people in brutal ways. NOW there's more brutal violence in some episodes of My Hero Academia.

Sailor Moon probably has nothing of concern now that they're lax on homosexuality but obviously that wasn't the case in even in 2006 when Naruto was airing mostly uncensored in prime time.

Realistic guns/bullets, religious references, drinking and smoking are generally not allowed during CN hours but aren't a problem for Adult Swim even at 5pm or 5am. So if they got Outlaw Star for this it should be fine at 5pm on "Adult Swim time" but a year ago wouldn't have been okay for 5pm on "CN time" but nudity is still a hot button especially if there's nipples so the hot spring episode can't air and there's no way they are showing Tenchi Muyo but the sparse nipple-less nudity in InuYasha should be okay after 5pm. The Big O should be entirely safe, maybe Trigun as well. Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell: SAC might actually be okay to air every episode before 7pm but probably not at 5pm right after CN time, though many episodes are tame enough for the earlier times without issue. G Gundam, Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED should be able to air without edits. I wonder if they could get away with airing Attack on Titan after 6pm, it's pretty graphic but didn't push beyond TV-14-V in season 1 and I mean... it's over a decade old now and a Toonami classic.