Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
On the heels of DT, here's Cemetary Skyline's (Stanne's supergroup) new single:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC-spq7mE-8

If this were any more watered down it'd be... IDK, a glass of water?

Anybody from the bay area have to come watch Artillery in June at the dna lounge. Going to be šŸ”„

View: https://youtu.be/EDr3EgVnpHU?si=e-oxFE4-dzzwaMW2

Saw them 2 weeks ago here, it was great. Wish we had more from By Inheritance but it's a 40th anniversary tour so there's gonna be a bit of everything.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Hyped! Just got an Amorphis/Dark Tranquillity show announced at a tiny venue here in September!

Both of them are headlining ProgPower this year, but we decided to skip, as we've seen a lot of the bands already and the others weren't enticing enough to spend all the money for tickets, airfare, rooms, etc. These were two of the bands I was really going to miss seeing though.

Poigea

Oct 27, 2017
Hyped! Just got an Amorphis/Dark Tranquillity show announced at a tiny venue here in September!

Both of them are headlining ProgPower this year, but we decided to skip, as we've seen a lot of the bands already and the others weren't enticing enough to spend all the money for tickets, airfare, rooms, etc. These were two of the bands I was really going to miss seeing though.

I'm in Atlanta and would much rather see Amorphis, Dark Tranquility and Fires in the Distance over ProgPower šŸ™

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Atlanta and would much rather see Amorphis, Dark Tranquility and Fires in the Distance over ProgPower šŸ™
I've been to every ProgPower since 2017, but this year's line-up just didn't seem worth the cost. The majority of the bands I had any interest in, I have already seen. Most years, there have been a number of bands that I've never seen live and was really excited for.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Really can't wait for the new Zeal & Ardor, August is still a long wait though :(

Out today. Love it. Go see them on tour later this month!

View: https://ironlungrecords.bandcamp.com/album/threats-lungs-279

open.spotify.com

Threats

Extortion Ā· Album Ā· 2024 Ā· 15 songs.

I need to listen to more Hardcore Punk.
Been in the Deathcore/Beatdown loop for a while now, which I couldn't have imagined 2 years back, but quiet enjoy Paleface Swiss, Cabal, Reflections and Orbital Culture currently.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I need to listen to more Hardcore Punk.
Been in the Deathcore/Beatdown loop for a while now, which I couldn't have imagined 2 years back, but quiet enjoy Paleface Swiss, Cabal, Reflections and Orbital Culture currently.
If you dug Extortion, some stuff you might enjoy: Crossed Out, Massgrav, YacĆøpsƦ, Iron Lung, Mind Eraser, Despise You, Siege, No Comment

Could maybe see people into deathcore/beatdown digging: Sex Prisoner, Weekend Nachos, Gets Worse, World Peace

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I bought tickets to KK's Priest and Accept for September. Curious to see how the former will hold up. I expect Accept to be the better band/performance honestly, but it should be a fun evening anyway.

Excited for Blind Guardian tonight!
How was it? Seeing them tomorrow night, pretty hyped, it's been a while.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Great show last night, a pretty good setlist and great energy by the band. I'm always sad they don't play more from "Somewhere Far Beyond", but c'est la vie.

I caught Night Demon's last song and checked out more of their stuff this morning, they're pretty fun.

Hey, yeah, was a great show. I wonder if we walked in at the exact same time, lol. I only caught Night Demon's last one as well, but I really enjoy them and would've liked to have seen more of their set. They do rock.

BG setlist was good for sure, but yes, after seeing them a few times I'd love to experience a "b sides" set.

Also, this is a great set where they do play all of Somewhere Far Beyond.

View: https://youtu.be/E-cDHK3aAOk?si=PbSSYntU0sxqbnhR

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
My playlists are a mess. I do think I have too many, lol.
thinking of just throwing every metal related track into one playlist, but sometimes I don't have it in me to listen to power metal, or deathcore, or...
How do you folks handle that?

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Also full albums.

The only time I make setlists is if I have a concert lined up and want to get familiar with tracks from the opening bands.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
i have playlists but i listen to albums mostly, because a lot of metal is concept albums. it's one big song - especially for some bands like agalloch

my metal playlists mostly consist of "themes" like power ballads or "90s death metal classics" etc.

but most time i listen, i listen to specific albums

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
i have playlists but i listen to albums mostly, because a lot of metal is concept albums. it's one big song - especially for some bands like agalloch

my metal playlists mostly consist of "themes" like power ballads or "90s death metal classics" etc.

but most time i listen, i listen to specific albums
This sounds like the way to go, especially with the hardcore punk albums I have added now.
Also thanks, I need to listen to Agalloch again, I enjoy them very much.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
This sounds like the way to go, especially with the hardcore punk albums I have added now.
Also thanks, I need to listen to Agalloch again, I enjoy them very much.
another thing i like to do is have a playlists with a theme with bands with their entire albums added where the album matches, then i listen to the playlist in order, so entire albums are played, from one band to another

in terms of moods, some bands like agalloch there are a handful of other bands with similar themes, so i have a theme playlist with albums of these various bands that are my fav. but i play them sequentially not in shuffle, so it plays an entire album before the next one in my order

most my metal playlists separated into genres, periods, or moods, with entire albums added. and play them in order. like 90s death-doom, with my fav 90s death-doom albums, 80s/90s thrash with my fav thrash albums etc. and just listen each album in the playlist in order. no shuffle

blackened-death metal, my top 3 fav genre, which has few bands that execute it well, has all my fav albums from various bands like Destrƶyer 666 (shoutout Morrigan )

but yea, my playlists are pretty much album heavy one way or another. i also just have a "fuck it throw any random shit in here playlist", usually from bands i think produce 1-2 good songs an album. i think sepultra is one of those bands for me where i don't like majority of their songs but some albums have 1-2 good songs (especially older stuff)

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I never use playlists. I either pick an album I want to listen to or pick an individual song if I specifically want to listen to one.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
another thing i like to do is have a playlists with a theme with bands with their entire albums added where the album matches, then i listen to the playlist in order, so entire albums are played, from one band to another

in terms of moods, some bands like agalloch there are a handful of other bands with similar themes, so i have a theme playlist with albums of these various bands that are my fav. but i play them sequentially not in shuffle, so it plays an entire album before the next one in my order

most my metal playlists separated into genres, periods, or moods, with entire albums added. and play them in order. like 90s death-doom, with my fav 90s death-doom albums, 80s/90s thrash with my fav thrash albums etc. and just listen each album in the playlist in order. no shuffle

blackened-death metal, my top 3 fav genre, which has few bands that execute it well, has all my fav albums from various bands like Destrƶyer 666 (shoutout Morrigan )

but yea, my playlists are pretty much album heavy one way or another. i also just have a "fuck it throw any random shit in here playlist", usually from bands i think produce 1-2 good songs an album. i think sepultra is one of those bands for me where i don't like majority of their songs but some albums have 1-2 good songs (especially older stuff)
That sounds almost too complicated, but I might give it a shot haha.
Also just gave Destrƶyer a listen and they are pretty good! I might need more recommendations for similar bands. :)

edit: btw. I forgot to mention that I totally listen to full albums of bands like Old Man Gloom - it's the only way.
edit2: Shylmagoghnar is another one of my favourites btw. Love them (or him, it is now a single project I believe)

Last edited:

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Saw Blind Guardian last night for the first time. Thought they were a lot of fun/sounded great.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Saw Blind Guardian last night for the first time. Thought they were a lot of fun/sounded great.
Oh hey, I was at that one! Easily one of their best sets in a LONG time. Such a great selection of their old stuff and songs from the new album. I'd never heard of Night Demon until last night, but now I need to check out how they sounds when the vocals are actually audible.

Crowd definitely kept security in their toes with all the surfers that kept getting thrown at them lol

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Lorna Shore and Whitechapel announced a tour. Wonder if anyone has any insights into that kind of crowd/show? I've seen Whitechapel and the pit was huge but avoidable. I dunno if Lorna Shore would bring a more rowdy, younger group though.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I was at a show once where Whitechapel were the opening band on a 10 band bill. People were spin kicking each other as they set up. I have to imagine that crowd is gonna be awful.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I saw Whitechapel way back in the day at a Behemoth show and the crowd was pretty tame. I think it heavily depends on the rest of the bill. I've seen some bands with younger fans and it hasn't been too wild recently like 200 Stab Wounds. Should probably be avoidable.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
As a disabled person, it sounds really awful being at such a show.
Never been to a show for 15+ years or so because of fear of getting hurt. Sad :(

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Lorna Shore and Whitechapel announced a tour. Wonder if anyone has any insights into that kind of crowd/show? I've seen Whitechapel and the pit was huge but avoidable. I dunno if Lorna Shore would bring a more rowdy, younger group though.

Honestly sounds like the type of bands that bring the youngins to attend and display lack of discipline and lots of legs sweeps and standing arm swings like a bunch of dicks

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020