Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
You spray on the side to give it a wet look. Bad idea for motorcycle because how slippery it makes it.
4idQvwf.png
Crazy. Why would someone do this to bike tires?
Something that adds 15 HP.
I thought that only orange stripes are adding power.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
lunchtoast I'm glad it wasn't worse, but man that's so shitty. Tire shine was the butt of numerous jokes on motorcycle forums back in the day - partially for its danger and also for its overall pointlessness. I'm honestly a little surprised it's still a thing. I think it even looks silly on cars.

I thought that only orange stripes are adding power.

Orange you say... that might explain some things.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Day 8 & 9 hours 11,12 & 13&14!

Had a bit of a busy weekend so didn't have the time to make the update.

Fridays two hours started off a bit rough. I was on a red/white one again and for some reason I just kept screwing up everything. Kept stalling, could not get that balance beam initially. Maybe it was just not having ridden in a while I had forgot?

Hour 1 it was practicing the 1st course we have to remember for the test. Halfway through I finally got a better feel for the bike and was doing better got that balance beam under control.

Hour 2 teacher changed and they moved me back to Blue#6. After finally getting the hang of the red/white one I felt off on the blue one again in the beginning and started having issues again. At one point given its weak battery I stalled it on the incline and it would not start. Switched over to one of the Silvers I had ridden previously and was doing ok. Second hour was all doing course #2 over and over.

Saturday first hour was on the simulator. Todays simulator was to practice avoiding real world dangerous situations. Instances like when making a right turn a truck stopped at the light and signalled I could go first but then two bikes on the side of the truck came speeding out of nowhere to cross the street. Trucks making wide turns so you shouldn't be close to them, cars cutting you off etc. Most of these I avoided and had no issue with by the simple fact that I was riding the thing so slow to begin with that I missed all of it. If I was trying to be fast I would have gotten into accidents.

Hour two was back to riding real bike on the course. Today since I was the only one from the middle weight license there for lesson (forgot to mention Friday was probably last day I see that young guy I kept being paired with) instructor said choose whichever bike you want from the fleet. I went with the silver one as my bike of choice. I didn't realize it but silver one maybe one of the oldest ones in the fleet as it still runs carbs compared to blue and red/white being fuel injected. Maybe that has something to do with it feeling/sounding different?

This hour was completely opposite for me compared to all my screw ups on the night before. No stalling, really no issues at all. If I had done the test that day likely would pass. Never fell off the balance beam at all, was able to finally remember both courses. Really quite improved. Only real goofs I had were my jacket catching the cone on the slalom.

Also got to witness my first 'crash' on the test course. There was a guy there doing the large bike license schooling and I saw him fall over doing the crank part of the course. I'm guessing large bike just being larger and heavier makes that part more challenging than it is on a smaller bike like I'm doing?

Only four hours of lessons remain for me now before the actual test is scheduled to take place this Saturday. Wednesday is one more hour of simulator then one hour of some kind of lecture I take it. Friday night will be two more hours of actual riding on the course my last chance to make sure I have everything down before the test the next day. After a week of not riding hope I don't have a repeat of last Fridays goofs. Should all go well and I pass the test on Friday I'll be able to get the medium license registered at license center on the 2nd then go back and register to do the large license at the school that same day.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Thanks for all the reports! Keep at it :)

Feels like its been such a long time since I started but its only been a few weeks Hard to believe I am just about done with this medium class license.

Also been having a lot of second thoughts about that bike I was planning to get (W400) now that I have actually ridden and plans have changed a bit. I still love the W series but a near 20 year old one and at that price I think I may cancel. Also at the time I was thinking to just stop at the medium license and not go for the large license right after like I will be doing so a newer W800 would be a better option if I do end up going for a W at some point.

I'm kind of leaning towards a Ninja 400 now for the first bike as I think I would be better able to hone in my skills on and not be terribly worried about damaging should something go wrong. Also seems to be a nice option for a city commuter should I get something better later on and just keep it around for the daily commute to work.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kind of leaning towards a Ninja 400 now for the first bike as I think I would be better able to hone in my skills on and not be terribly worried about damaging should something go wrong. Also seems to be a nice option for a city commuter should I get something better later on and just keep it around for the daily commute to work.

Yeah, great bike and lightweight with lots of features and aftermarket support.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Yes absolutely.
A fine choice as well. I suspect it might handle a bit better

Yeah, great bike and lightweight with lots of features and aftermarket support.

I'll be going back to the Kawasaki dealer here next week to check it out again. I know maybe not the best choice but also want to at least see the ZX4RR which is 400 but I4. Likely sticking with the just the 400 but if they have a 40th anniversary color ZX available somehow... fffffffffff
Praying to god I pass the test on Saturday without falling off the beam or making any other goofs so I can have the medium license by then.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Does Japan get the European or US power figures? (ZX4RR)

Europe gets the full power versions, but the USA, for instance, has a restricted 42kW (56.3hp) ZX-4RR and in Australia the power is pegged at 55kW (73.8hp). There are four riding modes – Sport, Road, Rain and Rider-adjustable – each altering the bike's power map and traction control settings.

www.bennetts.co.uk

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-4RR (2024) - Review

Return of the rev-happy 400cc four-cylinder

Edit: Japan gets the full package!

go for it!

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be going back to the Kawasaki dealer here next week to check it out again. I know maybe not the best choice but also want to at least see the ZX4RR which is 400 but I4. Likely sticking with the just the 400 but if they have a 40th anniversary color ZX available somehow... fffffffffff
Praying to god I pass the test on Saturday without falling off the beam or making any other goofs so I can have the medium license by then.

Are you looking at new bikes? Does Japan have Ninja 500s yet?

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Are you looking at new bikes? Does Japan have Ninja 500s yet?

Both really! I know conventional wisdom for first bike is to always buy used but for the Ninja since they are so cheap to begin with not sure it makes much sense to buy a used one where you look to barely be saving anything over a recent but used model with 10k already on the clock and going to be in need of maintenance and repair soon enough that you would probably end up spending the same in the end anyway.

Japan does not get the Ninja 500! For better or worse depending how one looks at it. Due to the licensing scheme they have here that restricts regular license holders to 400cc and under offering the Ninja 500 here doesn't really make much sense when the 650 exists and isn't all that much more expensive.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Riding a bike in the cold, wet and dark for 1.5 hours really is a special kind of miserable.

I remember being at work and seeing the clouds darken so I decided to ride home real quick to get my car only to get caught in a heavy rain on the way home and for the skies to clear up by the time I drove back to work :D

Japan does not get the Ninja 500! For better or worse depending how one looks at it. Due to the licensing scheme they have here that restricts regular license holders to 400cc and under offering the Ninja 500 here doesn't really make much sense when the 650 exists and isn't all that much more expensive.

Interesting they go by engine size and not HP/KW.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Interesting they go by engine size and not HP/KW.

It is when you think that something like a W800 with all of 50hp is restricted to those with only the medium bike license but the new Ninja ZX-4RR with 80hp is a-ok lol. Though to be fair the ZX-4R isn't a real torque monster...

Also I haven't posted an update in a few days and partly since I made a goof that delayed things. Last Wednesday I had two hours which one of which was back on the simulator, almost exactly same as the last time just avoiding situations in traffic. All of which were easily avoided by just going slow. Second hour was watching ancient videos on VHS lol. Judging by the bikes and fashion one of which was probably filmed around early 80's. Two videos this time the 80's one about being careful and not riding around recklessly. The other was more pleasant one about the joys of riding and cruising with friends (?).

Then I showed up on Friday for what was to be the last two hours of riding before my test on Saturday only to discover... I had the schedule wrong and it was supposed to be the day before on Thursday 😅. My goof for not double checking schedule. All the previous weeks had been on Friday so I likely just had it in my mind that it was Friday. Sadly they don't reschedule same day and with this week being the Golden Week holiday earliest I could reschedule was this next Friday so test will be next Saturday now. I'm a bit worried now as it will be about two weeks almost since I last rode and will have all of two hours to practice before test the next day. Was really hoping to get this and the large license all done before end of May but with the delay now (and god forbid I fail the test and need a redo) likely will go into June. Hopefully can at least finish it all before rainy season really starts (though last few years there really hasn't been a rainy season).

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Had some time off (vacation in Portugal) at the end of this past month, but I've been trying to get as much seat time in as I can. I've done a little over 1700 miles, and the rear tire is almost at the wear bars.
When I read the Continental brief about the Contisportattack 4s, I was kinda intrigued by the whole "single compound with vulcanized centers" approach. I've had the rear let go at least eight times on these fucking things. They obviously wear down fast...why don't they stick like a race tire? I could probably get better mileage out of fucking Supercorsas. I'll be lucky to get 2200 out of the rear. They're shit below 70 degrees. It would seem their supposed magic is really just an illusion. Probably gonna go back to Bridgestone (might possibly try Pirelli). I'm not even going to bother doing my usual "replace the OEM rear once to use up the front" thing. I'm just buying a full set and saying sayonara. I'm not confident on these Continentals and it's fucking up my ride.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
When I read the Continental brief about the Contisportattack 4s, I was kinda intrigued by the whole "single compound with vulcanized centers" approach. I've had the rear let go at least eight times on these fucking things. They obviously wear down fast...why don't they stick like a race tire? I could probably get better mileage out of fucking Supercorsas. I'll be lucky to get 2200 out of the rear. They're shit below 70 degrees. It would seem their supposed magic is really just an illusion. Probably gonna go back to Bridgestone (might possibly try Pirelli). I'm not even going to bother doing my usual "replace the OEM rear once to use up the front" thing. I'm just buying a full set and saying sayonara. I'm not confident on these Continentals and it's fucking up my ride.

lol, that's eight times too many for a tire that lasts only 2200 miles.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Had some time off (vacation in Portugal) at the end of this past month, but I've been trying to get as much seat time in as I can. I've done a little over 1700 miles, and the rear tire is almost at the wear bars.

If only you saw this revzilla review :D
h9ZsWDP.png

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
If only you saw this revzilla review :D
h9ZsWDP.png

LOL

So my riding style on the street rarely ever kicks TC in. I'm very smooth, including on corner exit. It was definitely an ambient/road temp thing...they feel "fine" in warmer conditions, but honestly after slipping that much when it's in the 60s, I just have no confidence left in the damn things.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
My wife is starting to think about making the license... She said it... my Jaw is still somewhere on the floor. It took 14 years to get to this point. Second bike plans are frozen. Project "Wife-bike" is born.

Last edited:

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
hard to say. She has something that unwound call vehicle blindness. They all look the same to her. But when I recall the bikes she liked. I would point to a speed 900, CL500, CB750 (the old one).
I mean this will still take more and more years, but I'm optimistic.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Ok haven't posted anything for a while and now I can finally update!

Last Friday morning was back for the rescheduled last two hours of the schooling. Two hours riding just doing both course 1 and 2 back to back to practice for the test the next day. Don't recall which bikes I was on during this time. One thing I do remember that may have screwed me up in the end was that it was another pair lesson and they had me on the end following. Which kind of sucks as you have to stop and wait for the other to finish but during actual test you won't be stopping for that. So going into things like the slalom normally you would already be at speed and in second but since I have to stop I had to start it from a stand still and change gears when I wouldn't be normally. But these two hours at least no real issues. I did fall off the balance beam once but the rest of the times were ok.

Saturday morning! Test day! Bright and early 9am at the school. There are a ton of people including that young guy from before that I had been paired with most of the lessons. Maybe 10 or more just for the bike test mix of large and medium riders. They have us all watch video for safety and guidelines etc. Then go out and wait your turn. Test bike for the day was a newer red/white one. There is no warm up you just get on adjust the mirrors and go (test course 1 this day). Also to note for whatever reason dear god this day was hot. High was 31c near summer weather. Hop on adjust the mirrors and off you go. For these tests one of the instructors follows behind in a car watching for errors. Also you have everyone else there for the test watching.

Oh boy the stars were not aligned for me this day. 😂 Keen readers may remember a post I did up on this page about having issues with one of the bikes and keep stalling it? Dear god I think this was the same bike. I don't know what it is about this one but for whatever reason I just can't get the clutch/accel feel for this one. I stall it on one of the first stops. From then it was just a series of errors. Stall it again on the incline stop/start test. Fall off the balance beam. The crank which I never once had issues during practice I felt I was going to lose balance and put my foot down once. It was not to be my day and there were just too many errors that I did not pass.

They had me come back next day for another practice hour and also I rescheduled for next test date which was today Thursday the 9th. One of the teachers that I had become friends with asked what happened and I let him know the issue I had with that red/white bike previously (come to find out that one is #10) he lets me know they rotate the bikes for the tests so next one would be different (silver). Also would be course 2 if that day was 1.

Sunday morning was back and just one hour practice. I was on Silver bike #3 and as I posted before for whatever reason (carbs?) silver one just feels easier to ride for me. No issues at all this practice hour. Never fall off the balance beam, never stall. Practice course 2 most of the hour though they had me do 1 once as well.

Today this morning I was back for test try #2. Compared to Saturday there's barely anyone here. 4 students for test in all, I'm the only one there for bike the other three are there for truck license test. Watch the same safety video as Saturday.

Finish and go out to test course, since I am only one there for bike license just me. Today's test instructor was also different thankfully (Saturday one I barely knew) today was that funny Elvis looking guy. Today's bike is the same silver #3 I did practice on on Sunday. Also course is #2 that I practiced mostly (to note I preferred 2 over 1 due to how certain parts were grouped together). Since no one is there I ask if I can take the bike on a quick run around the outside of the course to get my feel for the bike before the test. At first he was 'eh! no need!' but then agreed and said sure go around once so I took it for a quick spin then back.

Then off for the test! Also to note it rained all last night and was still sprinkling as I did the test and course was wet (first time riding wet course). Also for the breaking test where you need to stop changes since the course is wet which I had never done before. Since it's the silver bike never stall once today. In fact no real issues at all. I probably almost did fall off that balance beam again but managed to keep it on. Also I almost goofed the time (no faster than 7 seconds) there is a clock on a pole to the left that times your slalom and balance beam times (sadly I didn't see my slalom time). But on the balance beam towards the end I looked at the clock and realized I was under so hit the breaks before getting off at the end which got me right to 7 on the dot. 😂 But jeez once that balance beam was cleared and I didn't fall off this time I knew I was in the clear. For course 2 balance beam is at the end nearly just the high speed passes and the break test at the end was left. But that was it! Finished! No stalling, no errors that I knew of today.

Was told to wait outside didn't say what for. Turns out for truck test (as well as car tests here in Japan) they need a rear passenger for whatever reason so Was told to hop in the back of a truck (the cabin, not real back hah). Driver was a cute young girl which made me laugh why the heck is she getting a truck license. Unlike bike test trucks they do go out on the real roads outside school! That was an interesting experience.

After her test was finished we go back and wait for the results and the two of us wait together and get talking. Find out she's actually half Japanese and Half Philippine but has been living here her whole life. Her dad works as a truck driver which gave her the idea.

Results are in and we both pass! Yay! done with the medium license! Have to do a bit of paperwork and pay a fee for this. Since there were so few people for the testing it finished soon. Ended up going out to lunch with the girl after and exchanged contacts so we can go out again sometime so maybe having failed the test last Saturday wasn't such a bad thing in the end? 😂😂😂

Also now I am not so sure about going straight into doing the large license. That was my plan but... I would need to shave a second off the balance beam and slalom times while doing it on a bigger/heavier bike. Also having failed the test last Saturday I do think I may be better off just getting a 400cc bike like the Ninja and practicing on my own to get a better feel for riding. When I was there on Sunday for the practice hour there was a guy doing large bike training and talking with him he did just that having got the medium license the year before and has been riding a 250cc bike the last year. Also he said the school does the discount campaign every April anyway. With rainy season around the corner as well and it continuing to get hotter each week I'm leaning towards taking a break and doing large license later.

But that's it finally finished with medium license at least! I need to go to a license center to get my license updated first (will go next week) but then I'm free to ride anything up to 400cc!

I did actually go to the Kawasaki dealer last weekend and they said they could get me bike in June so I put a request in (not confirmed to buy just name in the queue).

Can't wait to ride on the real road and not just the test course. That's going to be an interesting experience I'm sure.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
Congrats! It's been almost 10 years since I passed my full big bike test and the whole day was a blur apart from a seagull taking a big dump on my shoulder on the way back to the test centre.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Ended up going out to lunch with the girl after and exchanged contacts so we can go out again sometime so maybe having failed the test last Saturday wasn't such a bad thing in the end? 😂😂😂

Burying the lede here lol.

For now though: congratulations! Will read your entire story in more detail soon.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Congrats Wubby! Glad you were able to take the test again in relatively short order. Getting some real world seat time before going for the big license wouldn't be a bad plan.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Congratulations! Love the details in your posts. Now show us some nice Japanese landscapes!

Edit:

Rode for hours in the Sauerlands with my friends. Sadly the cam wasn't aligned correctly. But weather was good and roads relatively empty.

Last edited:

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
1800 miles and I've reached the rear Contisportattack 4's wear bars. I decided to have some fun with the upcoming set and go a bit sportier for the warm season. Found a decent sale for the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa IVs (...say that a few times over and over). I'm positive they'll last longer than the Contis.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Ok I thought my S22 were crazy fast at their limits but 1800 miles is… nothing. Reminds me about my Diablo Rosso 3 I had a couple years ago.

I had the original Rosso Corsa on my R1 for a track day and some road time. I think I got "the usual" out of the rear, which would have been about 3500. The GT puts down a little more power, a good bit more torque, and is about 35 lbs heavier. We'll see. I think my one friend who has been running the Rosso Corsa IV on his Tuono has gotten over 3000 so far on his current set. We ride similar roads and have a similar riding style. Fingers crossed!

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
I had the original Rosso Corsa on my R1 for a track day and some road time. I think I got "the usual" out of the rear, which would have been about 3500. The GT puts down a little more power, a good bit more torque, and is about 35 lbs heavier. We'll see. I think my one friend who has been running the Rosso Corsa IV on his Tuono has gotten over 3000 so far on his current set. We ride similar roads and have a similar riding style. Fingers crossed!

Where did you do track days? Around here?

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I saw they have some weekends for training. I think last time I checked I was turned off by all the requirements/upfront costs.

Look up N2 - they run some days there. Up through intermediate, you don't need any safety wiring or coolant swap. You do have to have track gear (they have rental available), fresh-enough tires, etc. Getting the bike to the track is the tricky part - you need a trailer or a good ramp setup with a truck, tie downs, etc.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Thank you all for the congratulations!

Bit of an update. Friday I was finally able to make it over to the license center and get my license updated so I can legally now ride up to 400cc bikes on the street. A near 4 hour ordeal since I had to get a new license made.

And then after that... I went right back to the school and signed up for large license schooling 😅. After I passed the test for the middle license I wasn't so sure I would go straight for the large license thinking at the time I would wait a year after I have ridden around a bit on a 400cc bike. But the more I thought about it the better I thought it would be to just go ahead and get it done now. Riding on the street really isn't same as this course riding and test. While it does provide me with useful skills that will translate to being a better rider on the street had I not done it the opposite isn't probably as applicable. Also having just done all of the medium schooling a lot of what will be needed for the large license (cranks, slaloms and my dreaded balance beam) are still fresh on my mind. The large bikes they have at the school (CB750's and other newer one I can't recall) while being a bit heavier and just a smidge more powerful aren't all that terribly different from the heavy CB400's. Also the two courses you have to remember for the test are pretty similar to what I just had to remember for the medium license test with an additional bumpy road test portion. Added benefit as well of having more practice in by the time I get my own bike. Also having not rode since the test I've missed it a bit. 😅

I got my schedule and I'll be starting from Wednesday next week. Large license requires fewer hours in total compared to medium (12 vs the 17 I did) and the school scheduled it all into 6 two hour days so seems much shorter than what I did. Test will be on Tuesday the 4th (I requested it not be on busy weekend as it was when I failed last time). Only one hour for the simulator this time (likely largely same as what I did in medium since there seemed to be no difference in settings available for medium/large on it that I recall) and one hour of automatic scooter riding again. The other 10 hours are all riding I believe.

I'll make posts for the days/lessons as I go along again.

Even I get the large license I'm still set on just starting with a 400cc Ninja or so as my first bike but at least will be nice to be done with all of the school/license hassles!