Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
So I just happened to come across a reddit post that I would have loved to find ages ago.
As some here might know I'm working on a recreation of a Zelda ALTTP map that I've saw in pictures online.
I've been counting studs and eyeballing / freestyling things that I couldn't make out from the low-res pics.
I don't keep the reference pics on my PC, so I keep googling them whenever I want to work on the project.
Not sure what I did differently, but this time I found a reddit link to a 5 years old post, where the original creator of the map posted more pics and even uploaded the full digital stud.io file...
I should be excited that I finally have an HQ reference, but somehow this deflated all my motivation to keep working on it...
Now that I have the file I could either fix the problems it has (it uses parts that aren't available in certain colors, like large plates that would need to be replaced),
or keep working on my version but that now feels boring because I can basically copy paste large structures without putting much thought into it...
My version is going for a more detailed look than the original anyways, but I've been staring at my screen for 10 minutes now, unsure what to do.

I've been thinking about the final product over the last few days and while I think it would technically be possible to actually physically build this, I think it would make more sense to scale it down to 66% or even 50%...
I was thinking about finishing the full scale project and then deciding on what to do with it, but now that I have the .io file I could technically start working on that right away. At the same time I don't really want to abandon my own project without seeing it through.

This really sucks. It feels like someone spoiled the ending of a series I was really excited about...

I'll go a bit against what others said and I would suggest you to go the shrinking route. While I immensely appreciate your project, as you said it's something that would be incredibly difficult to build at this scale.

Going full microscale will give you a better chance at keeping it at a reasonable size, will be more challenging to build, and you can still use the design you've found as a high-quality source (especially if you decide to go 50%). You can go crazy with NPU for the finer details and use single studs as the minimum size of terrai features.

Of course that means almost throwing away what you did so far so I understand if you don't want to do that :)
Keep up the good work anyway!

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'll go a bit against what others said and I would suggest you to go the shrinking route. While I immensely appreciate your project, as you said it's something that would be incredibly difficult to build at this scale.

Going full microscale will give you a better chance at keeping it at a reasonable size, will be more challenging to build, and you can still use the design you've found as a high-quality source (especially if you decide to go 50%). You can go crazy with NPU for the finer details and use single studs as the minimum size of terrai features.

Of course that means almost throwing away what you did so far so I understand if you don't want to do that :)
Keep up the good work anyway!
I'll probably do both, but I appreciate you chiming in!

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
This happens with a bunch of people I knew on rebrickable before, especially if Lego later makes a version that's really close, ie flying Dutchmen or some star wars stuff. You just have to decide what's worth it when you see somebody else either is climbing the mountain or beat you there. There's always converting what you did to dark world?

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone, complete LEGO noob here. A few days ago my wife did the Kingfisher set as her first ever set, and she really enjoyed it. She urged me to give one a try so I bought us each a new one to do, Spider-Man head for her and Wolverine claw for me.

It took me about 3 hours but I had an absolute blast putting it together. I can see myself spending wayyyyyy too much money. I already ordered the Ornithopter from Dune, and each of the two Infinity Gauntlets (one for each my wife and I). I also have my eye on the Tallneck from Horizon…

Somebody help!

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
This happens with a bunch of people I knew on rebrickable before, especially if Lego later makes a version that's really close, ie flying Dutchmen or some star wars stuff. You just have to decide what's worth it when you see somebody else either is climbing the mountain or beat you there. There's always converting what you did to dark world?
Technically I think I could be the first one to do a full scale dark world, but not sure I'd be willing to go that far. It would be hell of a project for sure, though so I'll never say never.
If I do a 50% scale light world, though I will definitely do a 50% dark world afterwards.

Help? You're exactly where we want you to be!
Welcome to financial ruin the club!

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
jwIq9L3.jpeg

swsp

Oct 27, 2017
Dear LEGO,

Please do a double VIP event this Spring so my wife and I can buy the Rivendell set.

No, we don't have anywhere to display it. Why do you ask?

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Leaks for the new Dreamzzz sets are kinda' cool. Been sleeping on the theme (pun intended), but maybe I should grab a few sets.

Any day now we should see a leak for the new Tie Interceptor I imagine.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Hello everyone, complete LEGO noob here. A few days ago my wife did the Kingfisher set as her first ever set, and she really enjoyed it. She urged me to give one a try so I bought us each a new one to do, Spider-Man head for her and Wolverine claw for me.

It took me about 3 hours but I had an absolute blast putting it together. I can see myself spending wayyyyyy too much money. I already ordered the Ornithopter from Dune, and each of the two Infinity Gauntlets (one for each my wife and I). I also have my eye on the Tallneck from Horizon…

Somebody help!
Don't forget the bonsai tree, the set that got me back into LEGO as a so-called adult.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to comment its been a relatively quiet start to the year - only half the speed champions, one small MIDI SW ship and some animal crossing.

:looks at excel - £300:

damn. And I'm still wanting the Dark Horse and Tantive IV (and the other half of the AC sets) but trying to hold for 20% discount..

Lots of prequel/sequel SW sets please Lego then I can safely skip.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm screwed lol my birthdays coming up and I just asked for the Tumbler from Batman 🤣

Speaking of Batman stuff;

Even though I don't ever sell anything it feels a little weird opening something I know sells for a bunch sealed. Regardless, I bought it to build it so;

4xM68aK.jpeg

This thing is a chonker.

gm4wsUS.jpeg

Next to the smaller sized one I got with the Batcave.

Feels really solid and well thought out. A lot of detail I didn't expect like the steering wheel actually turning the front wheels, and cockpit working as it does in the movie, sliding back and forth. Also guns pop out/up when twisting the exhaust on the back. The wheels are kinda odd though, where the mechanics for the front ones can't really take the weight of the set and bend a bit and the real wheels are a bit too soft and compresses under it's own weight. The stand it's on elevates the entire set off the wheels though so it's not something that is noticeable on display. Stickers are stickers.

Set isn't that old but can notice a difference in some of the brick molds and instruction detail showing how much lego improves/changes little by little even over the short term.

Big thanks to Smash-It Stan for selling me the set a few months back, courtesy of this forum's b/s/t thread. Just a reminder that it can be a useful resource for both sellers and buyers of even higher priced things like this.

I need to dust better.

Which is great, 'cause it was really the only theoretical incentive for me to buy this set directly :p Now I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Was also happy to see it sell out fast for that reason. No chance of me convincing myself to get the D&D set that I'm not really into.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Batman stuff;

Even though I don't ever sell anything it feels a little weird opening something I know sells for a bunch sealed. Regardless, I bought it to build it so;

4xM68aK.jpeg

This thing is a chonker.

gm4wsUS.jpeg

Next to the smaller sized one I got with the Batcave.

Feels really solid and well thought out. A lot of detail I didn't expect like the steering wheel actually turning the front wheels, and cockpit working as it does in the movie, sliding back and forth. Also guns pop out/up when twisting the exhaust on the back. The wheels are kinda odd though, where the mechanics for the front ones can't really take the weight of the set and bend a bit and the real wheels are a bit too soft and compresses under it's own weight. The stand it's on elevates the entire set off the wheels though so it's not something that is noticeable on display. Stickers are stickers.

Set isn't that old but can notice a difference in some of the brick molds and instruction detail showing how much lego improves/changes little by little even over the short term.

Big thanks to Smash-It Stan for selling me the set a few months back, courtesy of this forum's b/s/t thread. Just a reminder that it can be a useful resource for both sellers and buyers of even higher priced things like this.

I need to dust better.

Was also happy to see it sell out fast for that reason. No chance of me convincing myself to get the D&D set that I'm not really into.

Love the big boi Batmobile. It's so much bigger than I anticipated when I bought it. Actually longer than the 1:8 Technic cars. Still need to get a smaller 89 Batmobile to go along side

P2bFKTN.jpeg

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
The only Batman LEGO I have is the Batman 1992 polybag, and it's so cool. One of my coolest minifigs. The cape is like nothing else I've seen.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Those Batman ones are sick, maybe they'll do a reprint one day of the '89 car.

I just did my Infinity Gauntlet, which was a little too similar to the Wolverine claws since they are both hands but I still had a good time. Tallneck and Optimus Prime are next up for me!

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
Leaks for the new Dreamzzz sets are kinda' cool. Been sleeping on the theme (pun intended), but maybe I should grab a few sets.

Any day now we should see a leak for the new Tie Interceptor I imagine.
I like the craziness of them. The new T-Rex and mech look great. I have to restrain myself from getting them though. I'm already in the process in downsizing my collection and I know if I buy a few, I'll need to get all of them.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
new lego Icons vehicles seems to be a white Countach. Normally that owuld be right up my street, but the rebrickable alternate build for the Icons Porsche 911 was so good this might be a skip. Unless I have spare cash and could then dismantle the rebrickable countach and use it as another alt - there are so many using the Porsche as a base its kinda crazy.

new big classic batman batmobile coming too. wonder if it'll have working missile launchers like the toy one I had when I was little

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

May as well wait to see what it looks like (out in July so leaks in a few weeks probably) but I can highly recommend https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-82416/firas_legocars/10295-lamborghini-countach/#details this alt build which uses only the pieces from 10295 porsche 911 which is regularly discounted and I think still available?

looking at Firas' page I'm kinda tempted (if the official Countach is great) to get his GT40 alt using the same pieces

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
May as well wait to see what it looks like (out in July so leaks in a few weeks probably) but I can highly recommend https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-82416/firas_legocars/10295-lamborghini-countach/#details this alt build which uses only the pieces from 10295 porsche 911 which is regularly discounted and I think still available?

looking at Firas' page I'm kinda tempted (if the official Countach is great) to get his GT40 alt using the same pieces

I did the moc Countach, don't think i'll be buying any official set for the car, i'm pretty happy with the final moc even if some parts of the construction are a bit janky.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada

I've seen that on YouTube, it's impressive. But I'd rather have the official thing. It's going to be expensive so I'm not getting it any time soon, if ever. But I'll try.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
GAME in the UK has 20% off a ton of recent sets so I've pretty much caught up on my paper backlog. Ordered the Tantive IV, Speed Champions BMW Double pack, and two animal crossing sets. Only the dark horse still left on my list

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the Lost Woods.
Not sure about the detailing of the treeline, though.
Without them it looks a little flat and blocky, but with the detailing it looks a little busy.
yojYgYv.png

vs.

nTlqWrU.png

Might try a middle ground with half the "foliage" and see if I can find a sweet spot.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
new lego Icons vehicles seems to be a white Countach. Normally that owuld be right up my street, but the rebrickable alternate build for the Icons Porsche 911 was so good this might be a skip. Unless I have spare cash and could then dismantle the rebrickable countach and use it as another alt - there are so many using the Porsche as a base its kinda crazy.
I'm pretty sure they went the other way with the Speed Champions Lambo, there was a MOC that built a Porche out of it. It looked so good I was seriously considering getting another Lambo kit to build it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure they went the other way with the Speed Champions Lambo, there was a MOC that built a Porche out of it. It looked so good I was seriously considering getting another Lambo kit to build it.

They get me with the big and little combos so for the lambo I built the alt model, then built a speed champions scale moc, then replaced that with the official speed champions lambo. For the porsche I settled for the old 6 wide porsche

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I did the Piranha Plant tonight and had a blast. Wanted to do something relatively small and it was wonderful. I'm surprised at the range of movement with the two leaves and the actual head and mouth!

My wife started the Viking Village tonight and I'm kinda in awe of the scale of it for the price it was. $129.99 and it's quite large.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I finished my 4th and last Megabloks 2D art Pokemon, it was Pikachu. These sets look very nice when done, from a distance. But they are very tedious to assemble and the quality of the pieces is worse than LEGO. I won't be buying any more Megabloks, or 2D art that uses tons of 1x1 tiles. I don't regret getting these, but glad I won't have to build any more of them.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
I finished my 4th and last Megabloks 2D art Pokemon, it was Pikachu. These sets look very nice when done, from a distance. But they are very tedious to assemble and the quality of the pieces is worse than LEGO. I won't be buying any more Megabloks, or 2D art that uses tons of 1x1 tiles. I don't regret getting these, but glad I won't have to build any more of them.

Have you seen the 'motion' mega pokemon sets? They're actually quite fun to build, and make great display pieces. Plus, they get deep, deep discounts pretty regularly.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Have you seen the 'motion' mega pokemon sets? They're actually quite fun to build, and make great display pieces. Plus, they get deep, deep discounts pretty regularly.
I've been eyeing the Mega Motion Gyarados set, but I'm hesitant because the functionality just seems too simple for its size and piece count. No idea what the build experience is like, but again it looks pretty straightforward. I think Lego designers are better at making builds that are dense and complex, but aesthetics sometimes suffers. I think the Mega Pokemon sets generally look good, though I wonder how many pieces are unique to specific Pokemon, especially at the smaller scale. Like do people make alternate builds or MOCs from the Mega Pokemon sets? I know Mega bricks are compatible with Lego bricks, but I don't really want to mix them. Maybe I'm trying to dissuade myself because I know if I buy one Mega Pokemon set, I'm going end up buying more. Like if I get this Gyarados set, I'll have to get the Magikarp set too!

ceov2ixoolg7fylj8j7x_c0ba9d13-4223-4811-bdf3-ca580fd1ea08.jpg

c9k30oexevfhzfjsbbxd_abfa3114-884a-4587-9899-bf1350aee955.jpg

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I know of them, but haven't taken a close look. They just didn't appeal to me.

Maybe I'm trying to dissuade myself because I know if I buy one Mega Pokemon set, I'm going end up buying more. Like if I get this Gyarados set, I'll have to get the Magikarp set too!
That's what I did, I only wanted Charmander but once I had that one I had to get the other three to go with it.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Licenses really bump up the price. Star Wars more than most, I think.
Yeah I can really tell now that I've done more research. Anything that's LEGO original is reasonably priced. Optimus Prime retails for $179.99 which is crazy lol I got it for $139.99 at Target thankfully but that's still quite a bit.

My wife and I are going to go to our nearest LEGO store tomorrow for the first time. Pretty excited just to go in and look at all the sets they have.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
First image of the upcoming UCS TIE Interceptor:

IMG-0572.jpg

I do like it, but not at the rumoured £209.99/€239.99/$239.99 … 😳

Quite happy with my smaller and less detailed TIE Interceptor (from the twin pack set) this time last year.

LEGO-Star-Wars-75348-Mandalorian-Fang-Fighter-vs.-TIE-Interceptor-review-13-scaled.jpg

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The TIEs felt a bit like the MIDI ships to me - the mid-sized ones (and even some of the smaller ones) look naturally good in Lego. So I sold my UCS that honestly I only bought as a completionist and had already broken that cycle. UCS X-wing is worth it to me but TIEs look great even small

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
The smaller interceptor looks quite good. I have the regular TIE and the bomber but not the interceptor. The ship it's bundled with looks crappy to me.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
First image of the upcoming UCS TIE Interceptor:

IMG-0572.jpg

I do like it, but not at the rumoured £209.99/€239.99/$239.99 … 😳

Quite happy with my smaller and less detailed TIE Interceptor (from the twin pack set) this time last year.

LEGO-Star-Wars-75348-Mandalorian-Fang-Fighter-vs.-TIE-Interceptor-review-13-scaled.jpg

Oh no! I thought at that price it would look much more detailed than the small one from the Mandalorian set (which I have unopened sitting next to me...), but it's actually not that much of a difference...
Will wait and see. It might look better from a different angle or with a person in the frame to get a bette sense of the scale.

Anyways, here's some progress from me:

3fD7QYO.png

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. I don't *not* like it I guess. But I'm certainly not spending $240 to replace the one I already have on display (a wing swapped UCS fighter).

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, quite chonky when you have a human as a size reference.
vTUVnLU.jpeg

Yeah, I'm getting this day one.
The Tie Interceptor might be my favorite Star Wars ship, so there was never a reality where I wouldn't get this...

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
The new Interceptor looks so great. I still have my original UCS one (and the box) and god, for as much as I loved it back in the day, it is sooooooooooooooo dated.

I'll have to snag this one. It'll make a nice companion to the UCS A-Wing.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Since I'm collecting the star wars brickheadz I'll probably have to get that new phantom menace set. Pretty expensive though, and I'm not a Prequels fan.

Five Venoms

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all. So I gotta move and am now in the sad position of getting rid of some six or seven years worth of Lego fun with me and my kid. So I have about...idk, 40+ sets of various sizes, more minifigs than I can count, some of it assembled, some of it sorted into bags. I was going to just throw the lot onto eBay, but something tells me that might bring down all kinds of hell. So lovely fanatics, what do you think is the most hassle-free way to sell the lot?