JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
Still depending on the story and characters for me a longer runtime is better, because it gives you more time to really know the characters and connect better with them.

At least most of the stories are built around one season and the good KDramas seemingly pack all of the good ideas in one season, without holding stuff back.
And most have a proper ending.

Agree 100%, as someone who actually appreciates so called filler episodes, especially if their used for character development or world building I really appreciate this format. That's why when it comes to western shows, I prefer something like Fargo, True Detective or mini series like Generation Kill, where you have one story told and that's it.

Sure it sometimes leads to rushed endings or pacing issues but I rather have that than shows that run out of ideas midway through or 'jump the shark' and end up like GOT or the Walking Dead. TWD, even after like 13 seasons, didn't have a real ending cause of corporate greed, since they planned like 10 spin offs. F that.

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Anyone has any recommendations ? I have Alchemy of Souls and Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha as the next shows on my list.

Here some recommendations (and some of my favourites):
  • My Mister
  • Goblin
  • Moving
  • Touch Your Heart
  • Mr Sunshine
  • What's Wrong With Secretary Kim
  • Marry My Husband
  • Her Private Life
  • Hit the Spot
  • Mad For Each Other
  • Rookie Cops
  • Inspector Koo
  • My ID is Gangnam Beauty
  • My Demon
  • Scarlet Heart Ryeo
  • Coffee Prince
  • Train
  • Secret Love Affair
  • Alone in Love
  • The Fiery Priest
  • Live Up Top Your Name
  • Taxi Driver
  • The King Eternal Monarch
  • When the Weather is Fine
  • Something in the Rain (the first 5-6 episodes I consider as some of the best in romantic KDramas, but the rest might leave a bad aftertaste)

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I've gotten into KDramas recently and I have yet to find a single one that justifies the 16 episodes length. Some of them are really good of course, but they all having pacing issues.

Dramas I finished (I watched most of these in the last 2 months outside of My Name, Your Glory and Squid Game):
  • It's Okay Not To Be Okay (7/10)
  • Crash Landing On You (8/10)
  • Flower of Evil (7/10)
  • The Glory (9/10)
  • My Name (8/10)
  • Squid Game (8/10)
Dramas I am currently watching:
  • Queen of Tears
  • Vincenzo
    • This is reaaaaally good. Just so charming and so much fun !
Dramas I dropped (all in the past 2 months):
  • Our Beloved Summer
  • Doona!
  • Hellbound
Anyone has any recommendations ? I have Alchemy of Souls and Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha as the next shows on my list.
Watch Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I probably asked this before, but any recommendations as to which streaming service in the US gives the most unique content? We already have Hulu, Prime and Netflix, and I'm thinking of subbing to either Viki (which we had before) or Kocowa+ for my wife's bday. But there's significant overlap and most of the comparisons I've found online are from at least a couple of years ago.

Also will be primarily using AppleTV/ShieldTV to stream, if that makes a difference (I know some streaming apps are trash or nonexistent on one or the other)

My wife has viki and loves it, added bonus is she can. Watch other Asian content. Can't speak to Kocowa. But with Disney plus really stepping up, bi think we are good

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
My wife has viki and loves it, added bonus is she can. Watch other Asian content. Can't speak to Kocowa. But with Disney plus really stepping up, bi think we are good

Do you have just the base viki package or viki plus?

I guess that's the reason I'm confused because the main content difference is KOCOWA shows anyway, and KOCOWA also has their own streaming service.

Viki standard:
Select dramas from KOCOWA

Viki Plus:
Extensive selection of dramas and variety shows from KOCOWA

We did have both viki and dramafever (when that was a thing) but that was back in the day, Netflix and others have definitely picked up the slack but I'm looking to see which one has more exclusive content.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Question about Moving: are the author's other webtoons going to be adapted and are any of those a continuation with these characters? Or is this story pretty much done (I know there's no more webtoon to adapt)? I liked the series but man that rushed to a conclusion.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Question about Moving: are the author's other webtoons going to be adapted and are any of those a continuation with these characters? Or is this story pretty much done (I know there's no more webtoon to adapt)? I liked the series but man that rushed to a conclusion.

so not sure this is a spoiler but

it said in the show there was going to be a season two. Also they dropped a little Easter egg (with time travel kid) and apparently one of the webtoons had team up with two groups of kids

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
so not sure this is a spoiler but

it said in the show there was going to be a season two. Also they dropped a little Easter egg (with time travel kid) and apparently one of the webtoons had team up with two groups of kids

Oh they said that? Where at the very end or something?

I know that that particular kid they showed a cameo of is the main character of another webtoon.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah , there were mid credits! After the end! Just like other super hero shows

Yeah I watched the ending scenes where it seemed like they set things up but I must have missed the season 2 confirmation.

It's kinda sad to me that it was released on Hulu where subtitled works go to die. LIke promote this to the new Disney + integrated subscribers and you probably get a bunch of people interested.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yeah I watched the ending scenes where it seemed like they set things up but I must have missed the season 2 confirmation.

It's kinda sad to me that it was released on Hulu where subtitled works go to die. LIke promote this to the new Disney + integrated subscribers and you probably get a bunch of people interested.

Yeah. It's a shame. Disney plus moving is dub only. Like wtf

Glenn Coco

Nov 29, 2017
I've started Kim Hye-yoon's new kdrama "Lovely Runner". Entertaining show so far! Seo Hye-won still has my title as best supporting actress.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Wrapping up Taxi Driver S2 soon. Not sure what is next for me after. Lee Jehoon is so amusing, he makes all these funny faces haha, love it.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I thought that series was a new Reply because of the font used in the poster. Turns out Chief Detective 1958 is a prequel to a 50 years old series that has 880 episodes

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Dude legit Disney plus is amazing for kdeama. Moving, flex cop, shop of killers and worst of evil.

Shop of killers has Lee dong wool and worst of evil
Has wi ha-joon

It gives me a reason to sub to D+ !

I feel you about Vincenzo, I know some hated because the plot was insane. But I love the characters so much. I'm willing to overlook much if I care about the characters
Yeah Vincenzo was kind of weird, but they did such a good job with the characters that it didn't really matter.

I finished the show ! Yeah, the plot was crazy (but it kinda was crazy from the start and it just kept escalating) and it did have some unnecessary twists towards the end, but the characters are all so good ! Probably my favorite KDrama along with The Glory !

Damn, The Glory, My Name, and Squid Game rated higher than It's Okay... and Flower of Evil? Never thought I'd see it, but alright. Especially surprised about My Name, thought that show was really mediocre to me.

Some more recommendations that people didn't mention:
-Stranger
- D.P.
- Move to Heaven
- Extraordinary Attorney Woo
- Kingdom

There are more, but these are some of what I'd consider to be my favorites (people already mentioned My Mister, Hometown Chachacha, and Alchemy of Souls).

I thought The Glory was really good ! Admittedly, my recollection of My Name and Squid Game is a bit flimsy so I may have been kinder to them in hindsight. I do remember thinking they had pacing issues !

Flower of Evil was really good, but the last episode really annoyed me. The final twist felt extremely unnecessary and the onus of dealing with the emotional fallout of Hyon-Su's deception is left on Ji-Won alone because she's the only one who remembers.

Having 16 episodes with often a runtime of 1- 1,5 hours per episode and not have pacing issues is physically impossible, imho.
Thinking back to US shows with 24 episodes each season, there are also pacing issues.
It's just what it is with such long runtimes.
Still depending on the story and characters for me a longer runtime is better, because it gives you more time to really know the characters and connect better with them.

At least most of the stories are built around one season and the good KDramas seemingly pack all of the good ideas in one season, without holding stuff back.
And most have a proper ending.

The only KDramas that come to mind, that have almost no pacing issues are the shorter ones, with 12 episodes and about 30 mins per episode.
Hit the Spot and Mad For Each Other for example (if I remember correctly).

The issue comes in the nature of the pacing issues. They feel the need to add unnecessary twists to serve as cliffhangers for episodes they don't need. I actually wouldn't mind if shows let some character moments and their aftermath last longer to fill the time instead of adding some random twist and character regression for one episode.

Here some recommendations (and some of my favourites):
  • My Mister
  • Goblin
  • Moving
  • Touch Your Heart
  • Mr Sunshine
  • What's Wrong With Secretary Kim
  • Marry My Husband
  • Her Private Life
  • Hit the Spot
  • Mad For Each Other
  • Rookie Cops
  • Inspector Koo
  • My ID is Gangnam Beauty
  • My Demon
  • Scarlet Heart Ryeo
  • Coffee Prince
  • Train
  • Secret Love Affair
  • Alone in Love
  • The Fiery Priest
  • Live Up Top Your Name
  • Taxi Driver
  • The King Eternal Monarch
  • When the Weather is Fine
  • Something in the Rain (the first 5-6 episodes I consider as some of the best in romantic KDramas, but the rest might leave a bad aftertaste)

Thank you !

Watch Hometown Cha-Cha-Cha.

It's next after Hotel Del Luna which I have decided to start !

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
It's next after Hotel Del Luna which I have decided to start !

Excellent choice, there are not many dramas I would re-watch (since I rarely re-watch anything), but this might be one of them. Also has one of the best OSTs I have heard so far. Heize, Punch, 10cm, Taeyeon, Chung Ha, Red Velvet, Paul Kim and obviously IU herself. Done for me is simply amazing (MV contains spoilers so I won't post it, but man watching it gives me goosebumps). If you like the show there's also pretty interesting side-content about it on IUs YT channel.

Last edited:

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I watched the first episode of When the Camellia Blooms, and it didn't really grab me. I took a few days break, will try to continue soon.

Okay after a 3-4 day break I watched the next episode. It is just not doing it for me much, but I feel like it could have potential if the story ever gets moving. It's a bit aimless. I'm not going to give up yet.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The Atypical Family.

They really went The Nutty Professor with this one...

Bad first episode. Not sure I'll continue.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Done with Taxi Driver S2, had a great time.

It was a bit unfortunate that they took so many shortcuts on fighting scenes as opposed to season 1 which had some epic moments, I feel they more often than not in S2 took a shortcut into just seeing a bunch of bruised up people. I guess we know how it would have gone, but I still enjoyed seeing it.
Overall a great season, cast pretty much carried it as I really enjoyed seeing each of them. I have no clue where the police woman from S1 went though. Bit weird how they closed S1 with her taking such an entry in joining the crew, and then never be spoken of again.
Gonna try Chief Detective 1958 now. Will see if its fun.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Excellent choice, there are not many dramas I would re-watch (since I rarely re-watch anything), but this might be one of them. Also has one of the best OSTs I have heard so far. Heize, Punch, 10cm, Taeyeon, Chung Ha, Red Velvet, Paul Kim and obviously IU herself. Done for me is simply amazing (MV contains spoilers so I won't post it, but man watching it gives me goosebumps). If you like the show there's also pretty interesting side-content about it on IUs YT channel.
Just finished it. It was indeed very good ! The ending hit me hard even if the outcome was fairly predictable. It actually got me to cry haha. With that said, I now need something a bit more wholesome so I'm hoping Hometown ChaChaCha is a good fit for that !

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
Just finished it. It was indeed very good ! The ending hit me hard even if the outcome was fairly predictable. It actually got me to cry haha. With that said, I now need something a bit more wholesome so I'm hoping Hometown ChaChaCha is a good fit for that !

I think wholesome describes it to a t. Without spoiling anything, it certainly has some sad moments but it might be the most 'feel good' show I've watched so far. It took me a few episodes to fall in love with it, but that's more on me than on the show I think.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
If anyone wants a show that has a similar feel to Hometown Cha cha cha I would say Summer Strike, and maybe to a lesser extent Welcome to Samdal-ri.

And I'm still early, but When The Camellia Blooms has a similar vibe in some respects too.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Watching "Revenge of the others". It's definitely not bad but the characters aren't making the smartest decisions.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Picked up The Kidnapping Day due to the lead winning best new actress in this years Baeksang and really enjoying it. The relationship between her and the male lead is super endearing and worth a watch on that alone. Does seem to suffering a bit in trying to connect everything together in the back half though.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Watched Moving as I got Disney+ for Shogun and damn that was one of the better k-dramas I have seen in a while. Though for long as it was (20 episodes) kinda felt it ended right after they finally set up the story. Now have to hunt other k-dramas on Disney+ before I terminate my subscription.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Watched Moving as I got Disney+ for Shogun and damn that was one of the better k-dramas I have seen in a while. Though for long as it was (20 episodes) kinda felt it ended right after they finally set up the story. Now have to hunt other k-dramas on Disney+ before I terminate my subscription.
Revenant was pretty good, besides the annoying CC subtitles.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Decided to break up shop for killers and worst of evil
With welcome to Waikiki. Definitely need to do it this way. Once Waikiki is done and we wrap up worst of evil.

Other shows that feel like Waikiki?

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
I've gotten into KDramas recently and I have yet to find a single one that justifies the 16 episodes length. Some of them are really good of course, but they all having pacing issues.

Dramas I finished (I watched most of these in the last 2 months outside of My Name, Your Glory and Squid Game):
  • It's Okay Not To Be Okay (7/10)
  • Crash Landing On You (8/10)
  • Flower of Evil (7/10)
  • The Glory (9/10)
  • My Name (8/10)
  • Squid Game (8/10)
Dramas I am currently watching:
  • Queen of Tears
  • Vincenzo
    • This is reaaaaally good. Just so charming and so much fun !
Dramas I dropped (all in the past 2 months):
  • Our Beloved Summer
  • Doona!
  • Hellbound

Finally someone that isn't crazy and raving about It's Okay To Not Be Okay & Flower of Evil.
I thought It's Okay To Not Be Okay started so well and then NOTHING happened for like 7 episodes and I almost thought about
not finishing it, probably the longest watch for me, took a couple of months cause I just didn't have the interest.

Flower of Evil for me was just cliffhanger after cliffhanger that didn't lead to anything.

( I enjoyed Vincenzo & The Glory A LOT )
Recommendations :

The Devil Judge
: In a dystopian South Korea the people have lost their faith in justice, in an attempt to regain it
court cases will be shown live with the option for viewers to vote on the outcome.

Missing The Other side : If you die and you're not found, will your soul get rest & peace? This show is about that,
a duo that tries to find missing dead people to help them move on to the other side.

The Uncanny Counter : Noodle restaurant owners by day, evil spirit fighters by night. A group of humans
with extraordinary super powers fight evil spirits whilst also trying to solve the mystery of why some of them
got the powers in the first place.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone watch Uncle Samsik yet on D+?
5 episodes now, and I think 2 episodes every week until the finale with 3 that week.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Moving was fantastic it was basically two shows in one. Prequel and current day. Really makes you invested in the parents and the kids!

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Skip the second season of Uncanny counter. It's absolutely terrible

"Missing The Other side" on the other hand has a really strong second season

Alkez

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Watching "Revenge of the others". It's definitely not bad but the characters aren't making the smartest decisions.
I really enjoyed that one, but there were definitely moments where the characters had me like "really bruh?"

However, the scene where
Chan Mi finally beats that girl's ass
might be one of the most satisfying scenes I've ever seen in a kdrama. So much frustration had built up to that point.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I haven't watched enough to have an opinion on Uncanny Counter, but earlier in my kdrama career I started it and ended up not finishing the first episode.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Finally finished Beyond Evil. What a great show, loved it.
The leads were so likeable.

I will say it was a bit comical how many twists there were in it lol.

What to watch next though. HMMMM.

Thinking maybe 'Somebody'?
Maybe Private Lives?
I dunno, I have way too many kdramas in my netflix list lol

Edit: I decided on Military Prosecutor Doberman

Last edited:

JaySosa

Nov 10, 2023
Mars
I haven't watched enough to have an opinion on Uncanny Counter, but earlier in my kdrama career I started it and ended up not finishing the first episode.

I really liked it, even though I could never quite warm up to the younger male lead. Story is a bit uneven since it changes the focus from supernatural to a more political plot midseason, but it certainly is worth watching.

Also finished the first season of Alchemy of Souls and have to say I didn't see that ending coming. Loved every minute of it, perfect example of why I love this genre so much. You have action, love stories, comedy, tons of interesting characters each with backstory, intrigue, drama.. everything without it ever feeling convoluted or confusing. The 20 episodes went by like a breeze, will immediately start with season 2.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
Finally finished Beyond Evil. What a great show, loved it.
The leads were so likeable.

I will say it was a bit comical how many twists there were in it lol.

I liked it so much I ended up getting the Blu-ray set for it, probably my favorite tv show that was released that year full stop.

After you're done with Doberman, try Flex x Cop if you haven't watched it yet.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I liked it so much I ended up getting the Blu-ray set for it, probably my favorite tv show that was released that year full stop.

After you're done with Doberman, try Flex x Cop if you haven't watched it yet.
wow good timing from my end, just saw beyond evil is 'leaving netflix' soon! Phew!

Flex x Cop has definitely been mentioned a few times in this thread and its on my list, i don't think its on Netflix though, so will have to wait for that :(