Lurky

Oct 29, 2017
After I got my Sunn Coliseum, I swore that I would never buy another amp again. Unfortunately, I saw this on reverb for super cheap and it's all original except for the ohm selector switch which broke as well as a bypass on the voltage selector that keeps the input as 220V only. It's a small mod that I can get rid of at any time easily.
cJhbhKE.jpg

So yeah now I have a 1979 Super Bass. Between this and the Sunn Coliseum, I have the two perfect sounds I've been looking for. Overdriving this makes just a slightly distorted sound which is exactly what I wanted and was never really able to find with amps that had built in overdrive knobs. Makes a very warm and gritty slightly dirty sound. It's so damn good and is a completely different sound from my Sunn which is always immaculately clear and concise with brilliant highs. If I were to describe them, I would say that the Sunn keeps a stranglehold on any given note whereas this sounds almost psychedelic. It makes me wish that I skipped those beginner amps/combos from when I first started. This is seriously the best amp head I've ever heard with the Coliseum coming in pretty close behind.

Last edited:

Nothere

Oct 26, 2017
After I got my Sunn Coliseum, I swore that I would never buy another amp again. Unfortunately, I saw this on reverb for super cheap and it's all original except for the ohm selector switch which broke as well as a bypass on the voltage selector that keeps the input as 220V only. It's a small mod that I can get rid of at any time easily.
cJhbhKE.jpg

So yeah now I have a 1979 Super Bass. Between this and the Sunn Coliseum, I have the two perfect sounds I've been looking for. Overdriving this makes just a slightly distorted sound which is exactly what I wanted and was never really able to find with amps that had built in overdrive knobs. Makes a very warm and gritty slightly dirty sound. It's so damn good and is a completely different sound from my Sunn which is always immaculately clear and concise with brilliant highs. If I were to describe them, I would say that the Sunn keeps a stranglehold on any given note whereas this sounds almost psychedelic. It makes me wish that I skipped those beginner amps/combos from when I first started. This is seriously the best amp head I've ever heard with the Coliseum coming in pretty close behind.

Goddam what a beauty. What kind of attenuation are you using with it? i mean unless you own a practice space.
Funny thing is, i also own a Sunn, although the one on the opposite side of the spectrum... i have a BetaLead for its unique and amazing overdrive. And a couple of weeks ago i also got my dream amp and have been over the moon with it. A 1973 Traynor YBA-1.

ibb.co

TRAY hosted at ImgBB

Image TRAY hosted in ImgBB

Lurky

Oct 29, 2017
Goddam what a beauty. What kind of attenuation are you using with it? i mean unless you own a practice space.
Funny thing is, i also own a Sunn, although the one on the opposite side of the spectrum... i have a BetaLead for its unique and amazing overdrive. And a couple of weeks ago i also got my dream amp and have been over the moon with it. A 1973 Traynor YBA-1.

ibb.co

TRAY hosted at ImgBB

Image TRAY hosted in ImgBB

Whoa I don't think I've ever seen a 70's Traynor in action. Also what kind of cab is that? I've always loved the Hiwatt 4x12's (that sweet sweet Alex Lifeson or Dave Davies sound) but they cost an arm and a leg. What does it sound like together? As for attenuation, I'm still looking around. I'd be willing to take any recommendations.

Nothere

Oct 26, 2017
Whoa I don't think I've ever seen a 70's Traynor in action. Also what kind of cab is that? I've always loved the Hiwatt 4x12's (that sweet sweet Alex Lifeson or Dave Davies sound) but they cost an arm and a leg. What does it sound like together? As for attenuation, I'm still looking around. I'd be willing to take any recommendations.

That's a 2x12 loaded with Fanes and they sound absolutely fantastic.
Attenuation is a tricky thing, and i have to go the extra-mile living in an apartment building... i use a Weber Mass 200, which i got for my other, more powerfull amps (Sovtek Mig50 and a Fender ProSonic)

Lurky

Oct 29, 2017
That's a 2x12 loaded with Fanes and they sound absolutely fantastic.
Attenuation is a tricky thing, and i have to go the extra-mile living in an apartment building... i use a Weber Mass 200, which i got for my other, more powerful amps (Sovtek Mig50 and a Fender ProSonic)
Thanks for the rec. I've been looking around and a lot of people are saying that an attenuator will shorten the lifespan of my tubes. Supposedly more so than straight up diming the gain knobs. A lot of people are saying to get a patch cable if I want to play at lower volumes. So I started looking into that and people say that apparently it makes the sound much too bright. I'm assuming the posters were talking about guitars though and not basses. I was thinking that would be a better place for me to start since it's much cheaper than an attenuator though. Lots of opinions and no way to verify anything except by trying it myself... lol... Anyone here wanna post their thoughts about how to get a good overdriven sound at low volumes in regards to patch cable vs attenuator?

Fossora

Jun 14, 2023
Has anyone tried out one of those new Fender Tonemaster FRFR cabs yet? I'm considering a move from studio monitors back to something that feels a little bit more real & it's so hard to tell much from early reviews since they're usually just review units given to select outlets/YouTube reviewers.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Decided against buying two guitars. So I ended up buying one, which was the Reverend Sensei Ra in Periwinkle burst. It just showed up this morning from Sweetwater with a giant sticker saying to wait 24 hours before opening. Has anyone seen this before? This is new to me.

Fossora

Jun 14, 2023
Decided against buying two guitars. So I ended up buying one, which was the Reverend Sensei Ra in Periwinkle burst. It just showed up this morning from Sweetwater with a giant sticker saying to wait 24 hours before opening. Has anyone seen this before? This is new to me.

Reverend make fantastic guitars, so congrats on that first & foremost!

It's something to do with the rapid changes in environment during transit & allowing the guitar to settle to avoid things like finish cracking if I remember correctly. It's not something seen on guitars sold in the UK, & while some people recommend doing so, it just sounds so unlikely to be an issue for me that there's no chance of me waiting 24 horus to open the box.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
So I've had this thing for a few weeks now and it's been causing quite a stir. It won't be announced/released for another week.

youtu.be

Epiphone Kirk Hammett Greeny Review & Discussion

The Epiphone Greeny is suddenly dropping in select stores. Should you get one for the holidays? I give my thoughts.Kirk Hammett has been spotted playing the ...

when it first broke a bit ago I reached out to my dealer and they had one they could have sold me but after lots of reading of opinions from the leak i decided against it.

instead i opted for the Gibson USA Greeny at a decent out the door discount and the thing has an INSANE top:

BirUyOc.jpg

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
when it first broke a bit ago I reached out to my dealer and they had one they could have sold me but after lots of reading of opinions from the leak i decided against it.

instead i opted for the Gibson USA Greeny at a decent out the door discount and the thing has an INSANE top:

BirUyOc.jpg

That's a logical choice for sure. The price gap between the Epiphone Greeny and the Gibson Standard Greeny is not that large compared to other Epi vs Gibson version models. I see people already scalping the Epiphone Greeny for $2k+ but for not much more you can buy a mint used Gibson Greeny. Of course the $20k Murphy Lab one is a different story. Very nice top on the one you got!

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
May jump on the Line 6 sale. They've got their Metallurgy collection and Helix Native both half off. Leaning towards Native since that'll give me mostly what's included in Metallurgy plus a host of other stuff.

Reverend make fantastic guitars, so congrats on that first & foremost!

It's something to do with the rapid changes in environment during transit & allowing the guitar to settle to avoid things like finish cracking if I remember correctly. It's not something seen on guitars sold in the UK, & while some people recommend doing so, it just sounds so unlikely to be an issue for me that there's no chance of me waiting 24 horus to open the box.

Thanks! I begrudgingly waited and when I finally opened it I started noticing way too many blemishes along the fretboard. I sent I back and Sweetwater shipped me another overnight, somehow that new one felt and played even better. Though the strings are starting to beat up my fingers (starting to learn bends) and I'm used to playing with 9s and the Rev shipped with 10s (which I'm preferring).

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
aaahhh, my first electric guitar arrives in a few hours and i can't wait to try it out

i've had four or five false starts with learning acoustic dating back close to 20 years now, but as a metal guy getting an electric was always the goal.... i just internalized early on that i wouldn't allow myself to get one until i was proficient enough at acoustic first

cut to now and i've finally gotten past the initial hump on acoustic where i can start playing(ish) cool parts of songs that i like instead of only doing boring beginner string and chord exercises. i'm definitely nowhere near the level of proficiency i've been telling myself for the past couple decades i'd need to be at to allow for an electric guitar purchase, but i after seeing metallica a couple weeks ago i figured what the hell. i'll still do my main lessons (via justin guitar) on the acoustic, but i'll no doubt be able to maintain way more long-term excitement and enthusiasm into my practicing by adding in the instrument i've actually been dreaming of playing all this time

does anyone have recommendations for relatively easy, beginner-friendly metal riffs that are maybe a bit outside the super obvious choices i've seen pop up on reddit during my research (symphony of destruction, enter sandman, paranoid, crazy train, and du hast being amongst the most common i've already seen recommended)?

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
So I've had this thing for a few weeks now and it's been causing quite a stir. It won't be announced/released for another week.

Finally they decide to release a Gibson subsidiary-made LP outside of Japan with the proper headstock shape!

I see it actually has a long tenon, has Gibson in general started doing this on production Les Pauls? I've been so out of the loop for so long.

That price is quite something though— is this out of the normal Epiphone plant in China?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
aaahhh, my first electric guitar arrives in a few hours and i can't wait to try it out

i've had four or five false starts with learning acoustic dating back close to 20 years now, but as a metal guy getting an electric was always the goal.... i just internalized early on that i wouldn't allow myself to get one until i was proficient enough at acoustic first

cut to now and i've finally gotten past the initial hump on acoustic where i can start playing(ish) cool parts of songs that i like instead of only doing boring beginner string and chord exercises. i'm definitely nowhere near the level of proficiency i've been telling myself for the past couple decades i'd need to be at to allow for an electric guitar purchase, but i after seeing metallica a couple weeks ago i figured what the hell. i'll still do my main lessons (via justin guitar) on the acoustic, but i'll no doubt be able to maintain way more long-term excitement and enthusiasm into my practicing by adding in the instrument i've actually been dreaming of playing all this time

does anyone have recommendations for relatively easy, beginner-friendly metal riffs that are maybe a bit outside the super obvious choices i've seen pop up on reddit during my research (symphony of destruction, enter sandman, paranoid, crazy train, and du hast being amongst the most common i've already seen recommended)?

I would always recommend learning on a guitar you like rather than something cheap you don't care for. For me anyway, having a guitar I actually want to play is what helped me stay with it and not give up.

Not sure of your level, but one of the first songs I learned was For Whom the Bell Tolls, which is mostly simple, at least if you play the rhythm part.

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
man, i seriously can't get over the top on this Greeny! There really isn't a bad angle on it. i have a feeling as Gibson tends to do, the AAA flame tops in production will get weaker and weaker in the coming 12-24 months.

After more time with it I really do like the sound and feel finally. I wasn't too sure i'd fully bond with it.

2aRg0Bg.jpg

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Love the tiger stripe on that!

Here's the top on my (not-so) budget Epiphone version of the Greeny, lol. Nowhere near the Gibson version but I still like it.

mPDM6SM.jpg

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
I would always recommend learning on a guitar you like rather than something cheap you don't care for. For me anyway, having a guitar I actually want to play is what helped me stay with it and not give up.

Not sure of your level, but one of the first songs I learned was For Whom the Bell Tolls, which is mostly simple, at least if you play the rhythm part.
after a couple days with my new guitar i'm... finding it's not quite what i expected

for whom the bell tolls was a great recommendation so i've been practicing that one a lot, but i can't seem to get the sound right. it's not crisp and the chord notes aren't blending the way i was imagining... especially the first two chords of the song

but this is the first time in my life i've ever used an electric, so i'm guessing it could be any one of the following problems:

1. is it my amp quality? (the boss katana mini, which was highly recommended on reddit)
2. my guitar quality? (ibanez grx70qa, which was also highly recommended for beginner's wanting a decent budget electric guitar that's good at producing metal tones)
3. the guitar's default strings? (i have no frame of reference for how big of a difference in sound quality, if any, different string brands make)
4. the amp/guitar knob settings i'm using? (which i've been constantly fiddling with to no satisfactory avail)
5. user error since i'm starting at square zero with technique for an electric guitar and there's a lot of feedback and lingering sounds between notes/chords that don't happen with acoustic?
6. the fact that i'm comparing my sound to professional studio recordings of expert players?

i'm kind of thinking out loud here, but i'm not sure what i should do next. i bought online from sweetwater which seems to have a stellar return policy, but again, i have no clue how much of the problem is my equipment vs how much is me being a complete novice who doesn't know how to manipulate the various effects to get the sound i want

the 'non-metal' settings of the guitar and amp seem to sound just fine... i don't think i'd be having these complaints if i was sticking to something like blues or classic rock. but the crisp and crunchy heavy metal tone i'm looking for either requires a combo of technique + settings i haven't nailed down yet or i didn't buy the right guitar/amp. or maybe i'm just expecting too much from an entry-level instrument!

does anyone here have insight or recommendations?

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
after a couple days with my new guitar i'm... finding it's not quite what i expected

for whom the bell tolls was a great recommendation so i've been practicing that one a lot, but i can't seem to get the sound right. it's not crisp and the chord notes aren't blending the way i was imagining... especially the first two chords of the song

but this is the first time in my life i've ever used an electric, so i'm guessing it could be any one of the following problems:

1. is it my amp quality? (the boss katana mini, which was highly recommended on reddit)
2. my guitar quality? (ibanez grx70qa, which was also highly recommended for beginner's wanting a decent budget electric guitar that's good at producing metal tones)
3. the guitar's default strings? (i have no frame of reference for how big of a difference in sound quality, if any, different string brands make)
4. the amp/guitar knob settings i'm using? (which i've been constantly fiddling with to no satisfactory avail)
5. user error since i'm starting at square zero with technique for an electric guitar and there's a lot of feedback and lingering sounds between notes/chords that don't happen with acoustic?
6. the fact that i'm comparing my sound to professional studio recordings of expert players?

i'm kind of thinking out loud here, but i'm not sure what i should do next. i bought online from sweetwater which seems to have a stellar return policy, but again, i have no clue how much of the problem is my equipment vs how much is me being a complete novice who doesn't know how to manipulate the various effects to get the sound i want

the 'non-metal' settings of the guitar and amp seem to sound just fine... i don't think i'd be having these complaints if i was sticking to something like blues or classic rock. but the crisp and crunchy heavy metal tone i'm looking for either requires a combo of technique + settings i haven't nailed down yet or i didn't buy the right guitar/amp. or maybe i'm just expecting too much from an entry-level instrument!

I'll be blunt - you're not likely to get studio quality metal tones from the equipment you have. This isn't to say what you purchased is bad in any way, especially for a beginner. It's more that professional musicians have the benefits of many thousands of dollars worth of equipment and professional collaborators who help them during the process (after all, many consider the studio and recording process itself as an instrument of sorts). You may be chasing tone.

I'd really recommend keeping at your practice, and keep learning. It sounds like you're making great progress, and as you keep at it you're become more confident in your fingering and ability, and will be more able to know whether it is a matter of technique or tone.

After a while, maybe consider a metal focused guitar pedal or plugin that will be able to achieve more gain than your amp by itself. But make sure to play around with eq as well, as something as simple as "scooping" your eq might get you a step closer.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017

Hard to tell without hearing - but it could be too much distortion and most likely just poor technique. Don't compare your tone with that of Metallica, you'll always end up disappointed at this point. Keep on practicing and keep refining your technique.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not certain but it sounds to me like you want the chug-chug but you're not hearing it. 95% of that comes down to palm-muting technique. Once you get it, it's like a green light that goes off with the power of 1000 suns.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Hey everybody! Here's my current collection:

oWm0jTZ.jpg

From front to back: Stratocaster, Jaguar, Mustang Bass, Bass VI, Precision Bass. Guitars are Fender, basses are Squier. Sorry you can't really see them lol

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
thanks a ton for the input. before these comments i had no idea what scooping was or how a suppressor worked or that palm muting was indeed a huge missing element in the sound i'm looking for. it's eye-opening to discover just how ignorant i currently am to the tech and strategies behind playing despite having listened so intently and passionately to guitar-based music for many years

i also stumbled across this youtube channel with this extremely jolly rocker who focuses specifically on teaching metal riffs and techniques. seems like it will be the perfect companion to my main justinguitar lessons: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY7K3zmRSS6ZiEdj09KHnpQ

anyway, you all rule and i'm very glad this thread exists. onwards and upwards!

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
just got to the f chord lesson in justin guitar and what in the ever loving finger-smashing ligament-twisting carpal-tunneling contortionistic hell

this chord is utterly wack. that is all

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Hey everybody! Here's my current collection:

oWm0jTZ.jpg

From front to back: Stratocaster, Jaguar, Mustang Bass, Bass VI, Precision Bass. Guitars are Fender, basses are Squier. Sorry you can't really see them lol
Looks like a great setup, and at least we get a sense of the guitar/basses!

just got to the f chord lesson in justin guitar and what in the ever loving finger-smashing ligament-twisting carpal-tunneling contortionistic hell

this chord is utterly wack. that is all
I hated the F Chord. Try not to get discouraged as that's going to take a lot of time before you can consistently hit it cleanly. Just put the reps in. Eventually it'll click and you'll start hitting it.

misery mired

Apr 2, 2022
some updates from the past few days:

- i've settled on using the classical position, but damn if it's not frustrating to try and get the angle and height perfect. i'm using a strap, but keeping it tight and secure leaves the guitar high enough on my body that my left shoulder is now getting sore from having to keep my arm raised during my playing. i'm not sure if that's normal and i just need to keep building muscle in that area or if it means i don't have the angle calibrated properly. the other solution is to have the guitar strap extremely (extremely loose) so the bottom of the guitar sits lower between my legs, but then it's not stable (nor does it translate well to me standing and playing)

still, classical position is 1000x better than whatever the hell the wrist-snapping horizontal position most people use is called. i've produced an f chord exactly zero times in that position, while i'm now able to get it about 35% of the time in classical. all the chords are easier, in fact. feels like i gained an extra month's worth of practice just from switching my position

- i returned my katana boss mini and my ibanez gio. i've decided i'll be much better served saving money and getting something high quality i can actually fall in love with and that will last me ten years or more

i'll probably stick with the katana boss series as it seems to be the overwhelming favorite online for an amp that won't financially decimate you. and after spending hours looking at every body type there is out there i'm almost certainly going to go with a v-shaped guitar. it's by far the most badass looking plus it seems to have the most natural fit when playing in the seated classical position. if i had to make a buying decision today i'd be going with one of the arrow 1000's from esp:

original.png

it's definitely toward the upper end of what i want my budget to be (and by upper end i mean several hundred dollars over), but reddit impressions are glowing and it seems like the best fit for the confluence of factors i'm looking for (shape/price range/suitability for metal)

this purchase is still probably 6–12 months away so plenty of time to change my mind, but it's been really nice and motivating to have a milestone goal to work towards. and in the meantime i really do love the acoustic guitar

working up to electric has always been my goal back from when i first started guitar lessons close to 20 years ago (which i quit after a couple months of and have had several more false starts in the interim before finally, finally getting serious about learning this year), but i don't feel like i'm missing out by sticking solely with acoustic for now. i actually felt supremely underprepared when i was trying out that ibanez gio junker i just returned, so it will be a great feeling when i get my first real electric and actually have the playing ability to back it up. if i keep up my current pace of 2–3 hours of daily practice it seems realistic to expect i'll be capable of playing the rhythm sections of some of my favorite metal songs by this time next year

- i purchased the acoustic i'm learning on back in 2019 and haven't changed the strings once, haha. the b and high e strings in particular sound terrible, and the low e string is constantly going out of tune. changing strings has always seemed super daunting, but i've finally watched a few how-to youtube tutorials and ordered the equipment i need from amazon, so i'll be tackling that this weekend (along with cleaning my guitar for the first time!)

- palm muting continues to be difficult, particularly in the classical position, but it's too much to expect any sort of competenancy yet when i just starting trying the technique about a week ago. i'm mainly thankful to teruterubozu for pointing it out to me since now i'm able to incorporate it into my dailly practice

- here's a question: it's pretty dumb that i keep my guitar out on a stand right next to a window, right? especially now that temperatures are getting sub-freezing where i live? it's the most convenient location i can put it in, but once i change my strings i'm considering finding another place to store it. maybe inside my closet, but that's just taking a stab in the dark based on assumptions (those assumptions being humidity = good (?), guitar near cold window = goes out of tune easier)

- this thread seems pretty inactive, so i'm hoping periodic updates from a newcomer like me spark some life into this place. i'd also love to read stories from any lurkers here who are in their early days like i am! let's comiserate over how much the regular f chord sucks (and how much the ethereal, dreamlike f maj 7 chord rules)

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
some updates from the past few days:

- i've settled on using the classical position, but damn if it's not frustrating to try and get the angle and height perfect. i'm using a strap, but keeping it tight and secure leaves the guitar high enough on my body that my left shoulder is now getting sore from having to keep my arm raised during my playing. i'm not sure if that's normal and i just need to keep building muscle in that area or if it means i don't have the angle calibrated properly. the other solution is to have the guitar strap extremely (extremely loose) so the bottom of the guitar sits lower between my legs, but then it's not stable (nor does it translate well to me standing and playing)

still, classical position is 1000x better than whatever the hell the wrist-snapping horizontal position most people use is called. i've produced an f chord exactly zero times in that position, while i'm now able to get it about 35% of the time in classical. all the chords are easier, in fact. feels like i gained an extra month's worth of practice just from switching my position

- i returned my katana boss mini and my ibanez gio. i've decided i'll be much better served saving money and getting something high quality i can actually fall in love with and that will last me ten years or more

i'll probably stick with the katana boss series as it seems to be the overwhelming favorite online for an amp that won't financially decimate you. and after spending hours looking at every body type there is out there i'm almost certainly going to go with a v-shaped guitar. it's by far the most badass looking plus it seems to have the most natural fit when playing in the seated classical position. if i had to make a buying decision today i'd be going with one of the arrow 1000's from esp:

original.png

it's definitely toward the upper end of what i want my budget to be (and by upper end i mean several hundred dollars over), but reddit impressions are glowing and it seems like the best fit for the confluence of factors i'm looking for (shape/price range/suitability for metal)

this purchase is still probably 6–12 months away so plenty of time to change my mind, but it's been really nice and motivating to have a milestone goal to work towards. and in the meantime i really do love the acoustic guitar

working up to electric has always been my goal back from when i first started guitar lessons close to 20 years ago (which i quit after a couple months of and have had several more false starts in the interim before finally, finally getting serious about learning this year), but i don't feel like i'm missing out by sticking solely with acoustic for now. i actually felt supremely underprepared when i was trying out that ibanez gio junker i just returned, so it will be a great feeling when i get my first real electric and actually have the playing ability to back it up. if i keep up my current pace of 2–3 hours of daily practice it seems realistic to expect i'll be capable of playing the rhythm sections of some of my favorite metal songs by this time next year

- i purchased the acoustic i'm learning on back in 2019 and haven't changed the strings once, haha. the b and high e strings in particular sound terrible, and the low e string is constantly going out of tune. changing strings has always seemed super daunting, but i've finally watched a few how-to youtube tutorials and ordered the equipment i need from amazon, so i'll be tackling that this weekend (along with cleaning my guitar for the first time!)

- palm muting continues to be difficult, particularly in the classical position, but it's too much to expect any sort of competenancy yet when i just starting trying the technique about a week ago. i'm mainly thankful to teruterubozu for pointing it out to me since now i'm able to incorporate it into my dailly practice

- here's a question: it's pretty dumb that i keep my guitar out on a stand right next to a window, right? especially now that temperatures are getting sub-freezing where i live? it's the most convenient location i can put it in, but once i change my strings i'm considering finding another place to store it. maybe inside my closet, but that's just taking a stab in the dark based on assumptions (those assumptions being humidity = good (?), guitar near cold window = goes out of tune easier)

- this thread seems pretty inactive, so i'm hoping periodic updates from a newcomer like me spark some life into this place. i'd also love to read stories from any lurkers here who are in their early days like i am! let's comiserate over how much the regular f chord sucks (and how much the ethereal, dreamlike f maj 7 chord rules)

Yeah if the classical position is your thing then the Flying V shape is what you probably want. Randy Rhoads famously preferred that angle of play because of his classical leanings.

z1ROkl8.jpg

Interesting that the LTD you posted has an Evertune bridge. Never seen one in person but they look interesting.

First thing is definitely change your strings! You'll be like why didn't I do this earlier! It's like getting a brand new guitar. Really.

It's more about humidity when it comes to guitar storing, especially acoustic guitars. I would make sure you at least have a humidifier around to keep your humidity levels in the 50% range where the guitar is. Temp is not such a big deal as much as sudden temperature changes where the wood suddenly expands or contracts - that's when finish cracking and stuff like that happens.

And yes I wish this thread was more active too, but it's actually been pretty decent lately. There were some really dead periods, but I think we have gained some guitarists since COVID. I will try to stay more active in here as well. I certainly love talking about guitars!

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Are there any other guitar forums y'all visit that are more active?

Anywho, I had my weekly lesson last night. My teacher developed his own system and school which has about 9 levels. I've absolutely loved the way he goes about teaching. Each level focuses on certain techniques that future levels build on. It's been exactly what I wanted out of my decision to take lessons. It's largely rock focused, which is fine, I want proper technique first. I do eventually want to play metal so down the line I'll likely go in search of a teacher for that.

Went off on a tangent, anyways, last night I made it to level 6 in 11 months. I've taken notes after every class and along the way I've made attempts at recording my own "songs" in GarageBand. Looking back at those notes and listening to things recorded months ago it's such an amazing feeling to HEAR how much I've developed. Plus he let me know that he nominated me for his Student of the Year award. That really gave a boost to my confidence level with my playing.

Last edited:

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
My favorite artist of all time (Ricardo Iorio, founder of argentinean heavy metal) died last month. As I was grieving, someone sent an old video of him -originally, a bassist who sang- playing some of his most legendary songs on a classic guitar. I knew he composed like that, but seeing and hearing it blew my mind.

I also love some genres (tango, mainly, but also folklore and whatever Serrat and Ismael Serrano make) played mainly on this kind of instrument.

After some days of research, I went for my first-ever classic guitar: a mate black Alpujarra 70 (mid-tier, made here in Argentina). I am loving it. It looks exactly like this:

Gz1ppzj.jpg

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any other guitar forums y'all visit that are more active?

Ultimate-guitar is pretty active. I'm on there sometimes but haven't been there in awhile. It's a great place to talk about playing technique as that's the focus. But lately I've been more into gear and been lurking the Epiphone forums.

My favorite artist of all time (Ricardo Iorio, founder of argentinean heavy metal) died last month. As I was grieving, someone sent an old video of him -originally, a bassist who sang- playing some of his most legendary songs on a classic guitar. I knew he composed like that, but seeing and hearing it blew my mind.

I also love some genres (tango, mainly, but also folklore and whatever Serrat and Ismael Serrano make) played mainly on this kind of instrument.

After some days of research, I went for my first-ever classic guitar: a mate black Alpujarra 70 (mid-tier, made here in Argentina). I am loving it. It looks exactly like this:

Gz1ppzj.jpg

I need to get myself a proper classical guitar. I have a junk one - a literal junk one my boss found in the dumpster and gave it to me (thanks. lol.) I fixed it up a bit but it doesn't stay in tune for shit.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
pxl_20220710_21033486sjcfv.jpg

Okay so I have a question. The black guitar in this picture is mine, while the red one belonged to my now deceased roommate. The thing is the guitar disappeared when they passed away and I cannot remember what brand the guitar was. I'm trying to figure it out but this is the only picture I have of it and the name isn't clear in the photo.

The idea is I'd someday buy an identical guitar in their honor but I can't even figure out what the guitar is.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Okay so I have a question. The black guitar in this picture is mine, while the red one belonged to my now deceased roommate. The thing is the guitar disappeared when they passed away and I cannot remember what brand the guitar was. I'm trying to figure it out but this is the only picture I have of it and the name isn't clear in the photo.

The idea is I'd someday buy an identical guitar in their honor but I can't even figure out what the guitar is.
Body and headstock shapes match an EVH Wolfgang, looks like a Wolfgang Standard based on the little bit you can make out on the headstock. Not sure exactly which model/year if you were going to try to match the exact model (red quilted top, cream binding, black pickups, floyd bridge, etc)

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah as Choasblade said looks like it's an EVH Wolfgang Standard model, but it looks like they don't make it in that colour anymore so you'll probably have to look in the second hand market. They only make a flat red in what they call "Stryker Red" now unfortunately

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
My Pacifica 612 came in today and I can't put it down. What a difference playing on a nice guitar makes. Riffs sound so much better than my old guitar. I feel like learning even more now.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Came across a stupid deal on a Fender Acoustasonic Player Tele on Reverb a couple of weeks back and pulled the trigger on it thinking that at the worst I could just turn around and resell it for about twice what I paid for it.

.... I actually quite like the thing, think I'll keep it.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone here have a Fender Mustang Micro? I fancy a headphone amp but wasn't sure how good this one is.

Oct 29, 2017
I hope someone can help me with some fret buzzing that has been driving me nuts. As a little background I've been playing on and off for something like 17 years. Never took it too seriously, just playing along to music I like and as a result I never really learned as much as I probably should have about guitar maintenance (or anything, really). I recently started playing again - largely Infest the Rats Nest and Petrodragonic Apocolypse from King Gizzard which I only mention because those 2 albums are entirely in either C# standard or Drop B tuning. I've never really "got" metal and still don't really, but these 2 albums are really doing something for me so I've been playing them non-stop for the last few months.

Anyways, I have an American strat and I took it to someone a month or so ago to get the guitar setup for these lower tunings. I've tried adjusting action and the truss rod several times in the past with pretty much no success so I figured I'd leave it up the professionals this time. The guy did an okay job but I was still getting a lot of buzzing higher up on the neck which largely went away when I upgraded to thicker strings (12-62). However, now that the strings have been broken in a little bit (I think) the buzzing higher up on the neck is back again and driving me insane. I tried raising the action but it seems like I have to go insanely high to get rid of the buzzing entirely. Is there something I'm missing? Do I need to go get this thing adjusted again? Am I destined to basically always have at least a little bit of buzzing? Some of it goes away with the distortion but not entirely and even while wearing my headphones I can still hear the strings "slapping" against the frets as I play higher up on the neck.

Am I trying to play a music style that just isn't meant to be played on a strat? Am I buying the wrong strings?