kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
If you can get a a6100 for a similar price (50-100 more) of the a6000 it should be worth it for the better processor, af, better video specs, etc.
From 6100 to 6400 it's just weather sealing and higher res evf, I think.
The 6600 has an improved battery and ibis.

I think the 6100 is the sweatspot, if you don't care about weathersealing.
The 6100 is the same price as the 6400 for some reason, so I think that I'm going for the 6400.

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
any m43 users here? I think my olympus 14-42 kit lens is kaput - reporting an error saying 'check lens' when I attach it. I often use a tamron 14-140 as a walkaround for flexibility but its always nice to have a pancake/compact option (plus I need something if my daughter is using my EM10 mkII.

Is it a case of just buying another used copy or worth looking at any other options
I've never used the Olympus 14-42 kit lens, but I've heard great things about the Panasonic 12-32. You loose some reach but you gain a wider angle at 12mm.
Otherwise if you want a pancake/compact option the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 is great or the Panasonic 14mm F2.5.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Idk what happened to my Nikon D850, the focusing is not working properly on any of sigma art lenses or my other glass. The micro sd card slot also just stopped working months ago so been using CF express cards instead.

Considering I have a big job coming up for headshots and been wanting to do this for awhile, I jumped ship and ordered a Canon R5. Picked up a 50 prime as well (1.8 not the crazy expensive one yet)

So my question is what's the best way to sell your old gear? Couple lens,wondering if I should send in the D850 to at least get the microsd card slot fixed before selling it.

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA
Idk what happened to my Nikon D850, the focusing is not working properly on any of sigma art lenses or my other glass. The micro sd card slot also just stopped working months ago so been using CF express cards instead.

Considering I have a big job coming up for headshots and been wanting to do this for awhile, I jumped ship and ordered a Canon R5. Picked up a 50 prime as well (1.8 not the crazy expensive one yet)

So my question is what's the best way to sell your old gear? Couple lens,wondering if I should send in the D850 to at least get the microsd card slot fixed before selling it.

That's a pretty high dollar camera. IMO I'd get a repair quote from Nikon to get it fixed and then trade it to KeH or sell it to MPB when you get it back.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017

Any reason why going to Canon? I feel them not allowing any third party lenses is a major dealbreaker and you could have adapted your lenses on a Nikon MILC body.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
Any reason why going to Canon? I feel them not allowing any third party lenses is a major dealbreaker and you could have adapted your lenses on a Nikon MILC body.
I've tried the R5 and Z8 before and I just like the eye tracking for little humans and animals better with the R5. Idk, I've been feeling a way about Nikon for awhile now. I started with Nikom, a d5300 or something like that and then went right to the d750, then the d850 and now.....I guess I'm tired of letting my collection dictate where I stay. Too much fomo with all the advances Sony and Canon are making in the mirroless world (although stacked sensor on Z8 is cool) As far as third party lenses? I rather buy refurbished EF lenses and throw an adapter on the R5.

TGM3

Oct 26, 2017
Any general recommendations on brands for CPL/ND filters? I was looking at picking up something from Tiffen & I need something at 82mm thread size but their 82mm variable ND starts getting relatively expensive so if there's anything out there that's as good but cheaper I'd appreciate any suggestions.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Just bought a second-hand a6400, considering the way the nex-5t got wrecked, do y'all have recommendations for good tripods?
It is still my fault the camera fell down, but considering I've a star tracker ordered, and it weighs a bit, plus a pretty large lens plus the camera and any other accessories, I feel like I'm going to need something better.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Just bought a second-hand a6400, considering the way the nex-5t got wrecked, do y'all have recommendations for good tripods?
It is still my fault the camera fell down, but considering I've a star tracker ordered, and it weighs a bit, plus a pretty large lens plus the camera and any other accessories, I feel like I'm going to need something better.
I got a skywatcher tripod included with my star adventurer GTI. It's steel and aluminum and heavy. Just what I wanted. I don't want it to move or blow in the wind.

But I've heard that some people use surveying tripods as cheap alternatives to photo tripods for star tracking.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I got a skywatcher tripod included with my star adventurer GTI. It's steel and aluminum and heavy. Just what I wanted. I don't want it to move or blow in the wind.

But I've heard that some people use surveying tripods as cheap alternatives to photo tripods for star tracking.
It doesn't use a propieraty mounting solution? I've looked at an EQ6R for the medium to far term and iirc the tripod is only for it and some other skywatcher mounts.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
It doesn't use a propieraty mounting solution? I've looked at an EQ6R for the medium to far term and iirc the tripod is only for it and some other skywatcher mounts.

It's a standard tripod mount but it does have a "hole" in the middle of the mount so you do need a wide base on your tracker.

Vpacw2C.jpeg

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I just discovered that lens extension tubes exist that allow lenses to focus much closer, so I ordered a set. You can get macro magnification with them, and they're only around $30. So, expect a bunch of macro photos from me once my extension tubes arrive tomorrow. :-)

thedracocat

Jun 13, 2022
Today is my 3-month anniversary of purchasing the Canon 24-105 2.8 and man is this lens a killer. It's so versatile, so clean.

For work (video) it looks great on a gimbal and surprisingly still pretty smooth just walking with a monopod.

For fun (photos) it has a little bit of vignetting when it's wide open but Lightroom manages it just fine when enabling lens profiles. But I've gotten so many great photos with it.

I love my 85 1.2 but it's only been on my camera a handful of times since picking this up. The 24-105 is very nearly cemented to my camera. It's really that good.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
The X-T50 has leaked:

www.fujirumors.com

LEAKED: Fujifilm X-T50 Image - Fuji Rumors

The first image of the Fujifilm X-T50 has now leaked and you can see it above courtesy of the Twitter/X account howtofly here. Looks really beautiful if you ask me, and I prefer it over the Fujifilm X-T30II. X-T50 BHphoto / Amazon / Adorama / Nuzira XF16-50mmF2.8-4.8 BHphoto / Amazon / Adorama /...

It's also supposedly going to cost 50% more than the X-T30, unfortunately:

Fujifilm X-T50 Price and Main Specs Leaked - Fuji Rumors

Earlier today the first image of the Fujifilm X-T50 leaked and we reported about it here. Now our sources have also passed us the main specs (besides the one we already leaked a while ago, such as IBIS and 40MP). Here are the specs for the Fujifilm X-T50: 40MP X Processor 5 IBIS 1…

Oct 25, 2017
The X-T50 has leaked:

www.fujirumors.com

The first image of the Fujifilm X-T50 has now leaked and you can see it above courtesy of the Twitter/X account howtofly here. Looks really beautiful if you ask me, and I prefer it over the Fujifilm X-T30II. X-T50 BHphoto / Amazon / Adorama / Nuzira XF16-50mmF2.8-4.8 BHphoto / Amazon / Adorama /...

Earlier today the first image of the Fujifilm X-T50 leaked and we reported about it here. Now our sources have also passed us the main specs (besides the one we already leaked a while ago, such as IBIS and 40MP). Here are the specs for the Fujifilm X-T50: 40MP X Processor 5 IBIS 1…
Honestly at this point I'd just get an X-T5. You at least get the new batteries, with the X-T5.
just got the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, it is a lot bigger than I thought :O

I wonder what the weight specs are of this thing compared to the Nikon 85 1.2...is this bigger than the Sigma DN?

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
The X-T50 has leaked:

www.fujirumors.com

Damn, they're doing the same thing as Sony it seems.
Or at least that's what I've been seeing, Sony let's some old cameras stay in production and new ones go up in price. a6700 vs a6400 for example.

Oct 25, 2017
Or at least that's what I've been seeing, Sony let's some old cameras stay in production and new ones go up in price. a6700 vs a6400 for example.
Fuji actually discontinues a lot of their old stock so it's not what Sony is doing. There's also stock issues for this exact reason and price gouging on the used market. Was never this bad on Fuji till that TikTok trend causing an upsurge in price/demand. Personally I'm not sold on the X-T50, but I'm sure some people are going to buy it.
Looks kind of fugly, why not just buy an X-S20?
It does look fugly. I feel like this is for people that want a 40mp sensor, but don't want to buy an XH2 or XT5. Ergos wise I'd definitely get an XS20 over it.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Fuji actually discontinues a lot of their old stock so it's not what Sony is doing. There's also stock issues for this exact reason and price gouging on the used market. Was never this bad on Fuji till that TikTok trend causing an upsurge in price/demand. Personally I'm not sold on the X-T50, but I'm sure some people are going to buy it.
Fuji was already more expensive than Sony over here, don't wanna know what will happen to prices now.

Oct 25, 2017
Fuji was already more expensive than Sony over here, don't wanna know what will happen to prices now.
Fuji is a way smaller company compared to Sony and people might break my balls over this, but I do think materials wise Fuji makes a better camera, though over the years they have cheaped out a bit. Still prefer the build quality of the A7C/A6xxx cameras though.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Hello folks!

Ok so I am going on my first trip to New York with my son and was thinking about getting some gear to take with me and get some cool photos and videos and also to keep using said gear through the year.

Sadly I don't have an awesome dedicated photo camera and I am thinking of getting that down the line but I don't think I will be able to get everything that I want at once since I need $$$ for my trip and I can't go crazy.

What I currently have to take Photos at the moment:
Galaxy Z Fold 5
Galaxy Tab S9+

And I don't plan on using my tablet at all but it's there.

Anyways I was thinking of getting for my trip and future cycling (I ride every weekend):
  1. Insta360 Ace Pro Cycling bundle: https://store.insta360.com/product/ace-pro?c=2641&from=pic_nav
  2. Got a code for a free tripod for that also.
  3. Instaflow360 Creator bundle: Buy Flow - AI Tracking Smartphone Gimbal Stabilizer - Insta360
Going to pair the stabilizer with my z fold 5 which even thou it's not listed on the list of compatible smartphones supposedly works wonderful.

Very video-centric equipment but I should still be able to get really good photos with this what do you guys think?

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Fuji is struggling to meet demand so I doubt they'd go this route to be honest. I could be wrong though!

Honestly at this point I'd just get an X-T5. You at least get the new batteries, with the X-T5.
Exactly.

I love my X-T30 due to its smaller size and weight, but the more I hear about this, the worse it gets.

Especially with things like this:

SURPRISE: Fujifilm X-T50 Coming with an All New Dial - Fuji Rumors

X-T50* BHphoto / Amazon / Adorama / Nuzira The image of the Fujifilm X-T50 has leaked already and it shows it retains all the nice dials we loved from the X-T30. However, what the images do not show, is that one of those dials is a completely new one. In fact, thanks to a couple…

A film simulation dial...

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.

I love my X-T30 due to its smaller size and weight, but the more I hear about this, the worse it gets.

Especially with things like this:

SURPRISE: Fujifilm X-T50 Coming with an All New Dial - Fuji Rumors

X-T50* BHphoto / Amazon / Adorama / Nuzira The image of the Fujifilm X-T50 has leaked already and it shows it retains all the nice dials we loved from the X-T30. However, what the images do not show, is that one of those dials is a completely new one. In fact, thanks to a couple…

A film simulation dial...
I personally think Fuji makes too many APS-C cameras at this point. They need to just make like 3, 4 max for prosumer, casual and professional and just hack all these other models out and be done with it. Should just be the XH series for pros (the 2 and 2S both have their niches so keep them), Prosumers get the T-5 and Pro (if they can have this fit into the market) consumers get the XS line and that's it. It feels like they're doing too much or changing too many of the history product lines to differentiate them at this point and it's just making them into products their fan base doesn't want.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well..... I got an X-T5 after seeing the X-T50 lol.

I managed to get it last night on sale from £1700 to £1450, I'm going to sell off my X-T30 and a lens which will make the X-T5 cost only £700 afterwards - which is quite a nice upgrade. Already finding IBIS amazing for macro work. I think the only other reason I wanted it was for weather sealing when travelling and the 40MP is great for landscape / Wide angle work and maybe some film scanning in the future. Also going to use it as a webcam. Hopefully this camera lasts me 5 years as well.

FRsqSWR.jpeg

I was going to get the X-T50 but the price is not justified for the features it offers, plus the rumours on that camera make me feel that this isn't the camera for me anymore. I do notice the weight difference between them though, especially with a grip so might have to consider not using the rope strap as it does hurt the neck if you're using it for the whole day.

rn7EvVH.jpeg

Oct 25, 2017

I managed to get it last night on sale from £1700 to £1450, I'm going to sell off my X-T30 and a lens which will make the X-T5 cost only £700 afterwards - which is quite a nice upgrade. Already finding IBIS amazing for macro work. I think the only other reason I wanted it was for weather sealing when travelling and the 40MP is great for landscape / Wide angle work and maybe some film scanning in the future. Also going to use it as a webcam. Hopefully this camera lasts me 5 years as well.

FRsqSWR.jpeg

I was going to get the X-T50 but the price is not justified for the features it offers, plus the rumours on that camera make me feel that this isn't the camera for me anymore. I do notice the weight difference between them though, especially with a grip so might have to consider not using the rope strap as it does hurt the neck if you're using it for the whole day.

rn7EvVH.jpeg
If you're not putting fat glass on the camera the X-T5 is perfect. With stuff like my 200F2, I'm never putting that on a non XH body for example. I don't know what Fuji's thinking with the X-T50, but it sounds like they didn't get the people that bought that camera.

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
Should hopefully have my X100VI by July.

Sometimes I'm tempted to switch from Sony to Fuji Medium format for my primary camera. I like doing wildlife though and my Sony setup is pretty good for that.

Oct 25, 2017
I need to watch some comparison videos XH2 / XT5 vs A7iv

Id need to stomach the loss in what I've spend on glass. I have 150-600 Sigma Sport, 85mm Sigma Art, Tamron 17-28, Tamron 28-75 G2.
In all honesty the E mount glass is worth more the the XF stuff so you might not be as bottomed out as you think you will be. Fuji stuff used regarding glass isn't that bad in my opinion. You could probably just get the Tamron 10-20, 17-70 2.8's and the XF150-600 and be fine.

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
In all honesty the E mount glass is worth more the the XF stuff so you might not be as bottomed out as you think you will be. Fuji stuff used regarding glass isn't that bad in my opinion. You could probably just get the Tamron 10-20, 17-70 2.8's and the XF150-600 and be fine.

There is an upcoming KEH event happening so I might see what happens. There are usually good bonuses if you buy into a new system. The GFX 50SII is appealing.

Oct 25, 2017
There is an upcoming KEH event happening so I might see what happens. There are usually good bonuses if you buy into a new system. The GFX 50SII is appealing.
Kinda act like the 50SII doesn't exist and get the 100S. Probably should wait after the 100SII gets announced before you make that trade and then also figure out your GFX system lens wise. If you don't mess with portraits that much you might not even need any of the 1.7 primes or the 110 F2 and you can just focus on a zoom or two.

SCHUEY 117

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda act like the 50SII doesn't exist and get the 100S. Probably should wait after the 100SII gets announced before you make that trade and then also figure out your GFX system lens wise. If you don't mess with portraits that much you might not even need any of the 1.7 primes or the 110 F2 and you can just focus on a zoom or two.

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely mull it over. Might just stick with what I have as well 🤷🏻‍♂️

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is there a pocketable flash camera anyone loves? Ricoh GR II had a built-in flash, but my GR III doesn't. I have a little flash on it, but the camera seems like overkill for my interests in old-school flash photos of family gatherings since I've gotten less interested in pristine images over time.

Smartphone flashes often don't work the same or have the same look, so not an option sadly.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice. Will definitely mull it over. Might just stick with what I have as well 🤷🏻‍♂️
I would think if nothing you photograph moves the 50SII should be fine, portrait work it's workable, just when you combine it with some of the lenses notorious for being slow to AF then that work flow gets slower. The 100S is perfect for the portrait work I do for work, slow events as well, just could not imagine using the stuff with an even slower camera especially if the lens doesn't have linear motors.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone used a converted IR camera?
I am unsure how I would get photos with a pink tone.
I've seen infrared photos that are B&W, pink or other things, but if I end up converting my camera (if I can fix it), I wanna know how to get one or the other.

Oct 25, 2017
Dammit, I've opened pandoras box and borrowed an X-T5 with the 16-80mm for a couple of days, because my curiosity got hold of me.
I've been really enjoying that camera, I love the analog dials, I love the film simulations, I prefer the SooC JPGs by miles, the IBIS does wonders with my shaky hands, the low light performance ISO performance is so much better than my a6400 and apearently even the a6700.

My 6400 and the telezoom are barely one year old and I got the 16-55 f2.8 G less than a month ago, but now I'm seriously considering selling everything off and taking advantage of the Fujifilm cashback that started yesterday. Unfortunately used Fuji prices aren't too attractive over here.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017

Congrats on the nice purchase! I've been thinking a bit about getting a lighter Fuji to do some more street stuff, but that's still money spent I could put into glass. I just wished Sony updated the 35mm Zeiss 2.8 or brought another high quality smaller 35mm.

If you're not putting fat glass on the camera the X-T5 is perfect. With stuff like my 200F2, I'm never putting that on a non XH body for example. I don't know what Fuji's thinking with the X-T50, but it sounds like they didn't get the people that bought that camera.

Buying a smaller crop to then use crazy long telelenses has always sounded a bit weird to me, and while I totally understand why the 200 F2 exists, it's still a 2kg lens lol, you have to be careful to put that on anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Buying a smaller crop to then use crazy long telelenses has always sounded a bit weird to me, and while I totally understand why the 200 F2 exists, it's still a 2kg lens lol, you have to be careful to put that on anything.
You also have to put a strap on that thing properly...thing cost me $1500, love the lens though. It's big, it's niche AF, IQ and AF is great though. It's just not a lens crop sensor shooters know what to do with it. I've only seen one in person and that's the one I own.