Oct 27, 2017
Oof. Took a spill on an organized century ride today. Missed a speed bump and went into the pavement.

I've got a good number of cuts and bruises, some road rash, all the muscles in my right arm are sore, and bent my handlebars and possibly my shifter.

I think I'm gonna sit down for a bit and figure a plan out for showering.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh, yeah... it's really just a case of deep breath in and hold on to something.

Better to get it all clean though.

froday

Jul 29, 2018
Roadbike crashes are the stuff of nightmares.

A favorite local shop of mine closed recently, I'm pretty bummed about it. I'm concerned with this weird economic period we are entering into is gonna cause us to lose a lot of cool shops and bike companies.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah a couple local independent shops closed by me too. They cited the reasons being: inflation, decreased sales, and an overall lag in people needing repairs. Curious about that last one. Not sure if it's just in comparison to the COVID boom or what.

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, does anyone know of any saddle manufacturers that do the "try & return" thing. I know Bontrager / Trek do so I'm going to start there, but I really need some more options as I'm pretty set on not repeating what happened in Spain.

Tried asking any bike fitters. I know a local one in my area that allows you to try a bunch in the shop and gives a 30 day return window as well. Just a throwing it out there as a possible option.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Tried asking any bike fitters. I know a local one in my area that allows you to try a bunch in the shop and gives a 30 day return window as well. Just a throwing it out there as a possible option.
I'll give it a go, thanks.

I want to get a saddle pressure map done anyway so I may be able to tie it in.

froday

Jul 29, 2018
I've been looking to buy an aggressive trail hardtail for a minute, and Cannondale have a really nice looking one for a stupidly low price ($1200), but there are zero reviews for it. Tires and dropper post might need an instant upgrade, but that doesn't really bother me. I also have a nicer fork sitting at home I could throw on it.

It honestly seems like an awesome bike, I'm not really sure why they haven't sent it out for reviews or even done any marketing for it. Anyways, I guess I should go check it out sometime.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Went for a ride with my brother yesterday, at some local trails where they live (Susanville Ranch Park in Susanville, CA). This trail was pretty flat, but it is a climb.

Resized-20230916-125639-jpeg-20230916194048.jpg

Resized-20230916-125659-jpeg-20230916194046.jpg

I was on my Ozark Trail Ridge, and he was on his Specialized Rock Hooper. We had an absolute blast and are planning on going out again this weekend.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
According to the weather report tomorrow will be warm, probably the last warm day this fall. Going to go for a longer ride and I am really looking forward to it.
I am hitting the gym three times a week and doing cardio on rest days, biking has really returned my motivation to exercise. Next summer I want to be strong and free from back pain.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
According to the weather report tomorrow will be warm, probably the last warm day this fall. Going to go for a longer ride and I am really looking forward to it.
I am hitting the gym three times a week and doing cardio on rest days, biking has really returned my motivation to exercise. Next summer I want to be strong and free from back pain.
I definitely need to do a good amount of core work for next year. Lower back pain still an issue.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Lower back pain sucks. I don't know what I would do if exercise didn't help. =/ On the brighter side, it really motivates me to exercise my back and core.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Any US posters in here?

I have a problem with my turbo trainer. The device I use to measure power now stops reporting power after 1h 10m... it's incredibly frustrating.

I can't find a replacement in the UK / Europe. Anyone know of any stores in the US that might be worth a try? I really don't want to end up spending an insane amount for a Kickr or something when this setup suits me so well.

Edit - Hmm, when I use a VPN to the US I can see it on Amazon, but it doesn't ship to the UK.

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Any US posters in here?

I have a problem with my turbo trainer. The device I use to measure power now stops reporting power after 1h 10m... it's incredibly frustrating.

I can't find a replacement in the UK / Europe. Anyone know of any stores in the US that might be worth a try? I really don't want to end up spending an insane amount for a Kickr or something when this setup suits me so well.

Edit - Hmm, when I use a VPN to the US I can see it on Amazon, but it doesn't ship to the UK.

I could get it for you through Amazon Prime and ship it off, if you wouldn't mind paying those shipping costs.

All of this, despite you making fun of my roadie-wear. 😂

froday

Jul 29, 2018
Roadies never wave back :(

Probably because MTB people think they are better. We are having more fun.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Have ordered a saddle, turns out I have a particularly narrow arse, and I'm guessing the other saddle didn't help there.

Slightly concerned that Specialized don't seem to have the one I went for in 130mm on their site, but I guess I'll find out soon enough if it exists or not.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for 700c45 tyres going into winter? Going to be 25% mud 75% everything else wet as fuck. Could probably get by on my current g-one allarounds but they do be struggling when there's even a hint of wet earth.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Saddle arrived. Was slightly perturbed to find that Specialized's satisfaction guarantee basically means I can swap to another of their saddles.

Given how few they have in 130mm I'm not really sure I want to fit it now.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
So looking at upgrading my 8 spd road bike to a 105 shod bike to bring it in line with my other bikes, there are two offers on for the groupset atm, one with the compact crankset, but ultegra shifters the other has the full crankset / medium RD but the standard 105 shifters and I really can't decide lol

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Bleh, I'm not going to have time to try out the new saddle. Will have to just take the old one and deal with the pain for the following week.

Hoping having it tipped forward slightly will help.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
So looking at upgrading my 8 spd road bike to a 105 shod bike to bring it in line with my other bikes, there are two offers on for the groupset atm, one with the compact crankset, but ultegra shifters the other has the full crankset / medium RD but the standard 105 shifters and I really can't decide lol
I honestly think most road bikes are over-geared so I'd go for the compact myself (and ideally, I'd go 46/30 rather than 50/34). Would be stunned if anyone could really notice the difference between 105 and Ultegra shifters, though!

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think most road bikes are over-geared so I'd go for the compact myself (and ideally, I'd go 46/30 rather than 50/34). Would be stunned if anyone could really notice the difference between 105 and Ultegra shifters, though!

That's kinda my thought on the shifters, so thanks for reaffirming it, went with the 52/36 just to keep in line with my other frames, didn't mean I only have to buy one type of chain and one size cassette and it's a spare for which ever goes first 😂

Vert boil

Oct 27, 2017
blackpool, england
Went for a ride yesterday along one of my normal routes around the country roads the other side of a local river and the cycle path over the river had really bad mud/debris on the cycle path either side of the bridge. Guessing some fell off a truck instead of it just being the recent heavy rain as there was a lot since it was super sketchy even on my beefy wheels. Really glad I didn't take my road bike out, would had crashed on 25s going over that much slop.

Reported it last night and shockingly they are sending a sweeper truck today. Only issue is I just found out that the two ends of the bridge are maintained by different councils so had to send off another report today.

If the other council gets on it sharpish I'll start carrying my phone so I can report some other bollocks.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like such a mug. Just found an (apparently well rated) online store that will do chain waxing for £36 for two chains.

Now that might sound expensive for essentially cleaning and "lubing" two chains, but given last time I did it it took me about four hours... yeah, not that expensive. lol

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like such a mug. Just found an (apparently well rated) online store that will do chain waxing for £36 for two chains.

Now that might sound expensive for essentially cleaning and "lubing" two chains, but given last time I did it it took me about four hours... yeah, not that expensive. lol

What was the most time consuming part?

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017

As I get older I am increasingly happy to pay money to free up my time (and even more so for jobs that I don't actually enjoy doing), so £9 an hour seems pretty reasonable to me 👍

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
So 105 groupset arrived yesterday, today bike and said groupset is in the LBS should be done by Friday but can't pick up till weekend due to work 😩

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Went cycling in the Wye Valley today. Love that climb between Tintern and Chepstow.

What i didn't like is how shytey the river is now. Stank and foam all over.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm slowly starting to scale my riding down for the winter.

I rode a lot to work, but with it starting to get darker earlier (and the fact that the majority of Reno drivers fucking suck), it's just not safe to ride in the dark (If I'm closing, I get off around 7:30). I'm mostly riding to work now on days when I get off around 4 or 5.

My goal over the winter is to get the upgrades that I still want to do to my bike done, so that it'll be ready to go next year.

The things I've done to it since I got it back in June.
  • Replaced the stock mechanical brakes with some Shimano mt200 hydraulic brakes.
  • Replaced the plastic pedals with Chester Raceface pedals.
  • Replaced the stock tires with some Specialized FastTrack Control T5.
  • Replaced the grips with some Ergon GP-1 grips.
The things I want to do.
  • Replace the stock drive-train with either a Microshift Advent X or Shimano Deore (haven't really decided yet).
  • Replace the coil fork with an air fork.
  • Upgrade the crankset.

Frontieruk

Oct 25, 2017
Frontieruk fair play, fair play indeed 🤣

I actually love building up bikes / groupsets though 😄

Tbh haven't got all the tools for it, and as I have a new set of brake and shift cables with pretty casings which would take about 40 minutes to fit for another bike that have sat around for 18 months as I can't find the time when the weather is nice enough to do it I decided a large investment like that should be sorted quickly 😂

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Finally have a semblance of a bike for this weekend's event. Prep has been really strange this time, really tried to get ahead of the battle but all sorts of stuff has gone wrong for me.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm slowly starting to scale my riding down for the winter.

I rode a lot to work, but with it starting to get darker earlier (and the fact that the majority of Reno drivers fucking suck), it's just not safe to ride in the dark (If I'm closing, I get off around 7:30). I'm mostly riding to work now on days when I get off around 4 or 5.

My goal over the winter is to get the upgrades that I still want to do to my bike done, so that it'll be ready to go next year.

The things I've done to it since I got it back in June.
  • Replaced the stock mechanical brakes with some Shimano mt200 hydraulic brakes.
  • Replaced the plastic pedals with Chester Raceface pedals.
  • Replaced the stock tires with some Specialized FastTrack Control T5.
  • Replaced the grips with some Ergon GP-1 grips.
The things I want to do.
  • Replace the stock drive-train with either a Microshift Advent X or Shimano Deore (haven't really decided yet).
  • Replace the coil fork with an air fork.
  • Upgrade the crankset.

Haha based on what you said about Reno, it reminded me of this youtube channel I watched a while back who is from Reno. He has since moved to Seattle, I think, but he did definitely talked about how unsafe Reno was for anybody not in a car 🥲