No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I actually really like that cover. No interest in the film, but I dig the cover art on that steelbook.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
I actually really like that cover. No interest in the film, but I dig the cover art on that steelbook.
I see what they were going for. The black and white city with the red in Madame Web's costume is pretty cool. It's just all the extra noise with the red vertical lines, dots and white blobs that I think is a little distracting. A more minimalist approach would have been better in my opinion.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I just acted early because I missed out on the Morbius steelbook and didn't want to make the same mistake again.

Those were different situations though.

Morbius was a Best Buy exclusive and those are notorious to be short ordered and to sell out initially because Best Buy has gotten burned many times on over stocking their exclusive steelbooks. So the best way to get them is to order them right away, or order them when the cancellations take place within a few days before their release.

This is not an exclusive and will be at multiple retailers.

CountCorvinus

Mar 10, 2023
Those were different situations though.

Morbius was a Best Buy exclusive and those are notorious to be short ordered and to sell out initially because Best Buy has gotten burned many times on over stocking their exclusive steelbooks. So the best way to get them is to order them right away, or order them when the cancellations take place within a few days before their release.

This is not an exclusive and will be at multiple retailers.

I'm aware.
Still, it's a movie I'm looking forward to watching and Amazon is the most convenient, so I wanted to order before it became unavailable.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the 4K Cameron releases are as bad as some expected. We can't have nice things like Aliens getting the same treatment Fox's release of Alien ended up with, and in some of the comparison videos, it looks like the color grading was radically changed again. People go from looking healthy to very sickly. Almost like they now all have a mild case of jaundice.

True Lies? Do you like the look of a wax museum? Have no fear then, horrible AI upscaling got your back!

How can Cameron be so visionary yet simultaneously blind with rage towards anything shot on film that looks like film?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the 4K Cameron releases are as bad as some expected. We can't have nice things like Aliens getting the same treatment Fox's release of Alien ended up with, and in some of the comparison videos, it looks like the color grading was radically changed again. People go from looking healthy to very sickly. Almost like they now all have a mild case of jaundice.

True Lies? Do you like the look of a wax museum? Have no fear then, horrible AI upscaling got your back!

How can Cameron be so visionary yet simultaneously blind with rage towards anything shot on film that looks like film?

Damn, had them in my cart but may pass now.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
buy them or don't - he's not going to do another release. I have watched them and they look just fine in motion at 135".

Jan 23, 2024
I'm not sure if anyone is interested but Amazon is selling used Panasonic DP-UB820-Ks for ~317. They're 500 new. Although they're marked as "Used - Acceptable" I'm going to take the jump and I'll return it if there's something wrong with it or if I don't see enough of a difference to warrant owning one over the PS5.

Update on this. I have to be honest, when the package arrived I was half-wishing I wouldn't notice much of an upgrade just so I could find an excuse to save myself $317.

Then I put in Suicide Squad (2021) in 4K.

10 minutes in: "Goddamn it...I have to keep this thing"

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so torn on the Cameron releases as I usually don't buy discs that are DNR'd. Yet I've never owned True Lies and The Abyss on disc and I love both films. He's never going to revisit them either as I don't think he wanted to mess with them in the first place.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I pre-ordered The Abyss on Amazon back on 2/15, but it hasn't shipped, and as of yesterday it still showed "Pre-Order will relase on 3/12" but today shows Temporarily Out of Stock. Pretty annoying.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any idea what Umbrella's standard order processing time is? I ordered the standard edition of the 1993 Super Mario Bros release and there was nothing to indicate they didn't have stock, but that was back on March 5th and I've not seen any movement. Just didn't know if I should ping them via email or if I should give it more time.

breander

Oct 27, 2017
So I, like many, ordered the Cameron trilogy of 4k releases but so far I have only received True Lies. Still a great fun movie but it's definitely the worst 4k from a visual stand point I have watched so far. Given there isn't really any other options I made my peace with it about 20 mins in. It typically ranges from poor to good looking but never reaches a great or amazing level that many 4k restored older titles often reach. Even though the upgrades were not that great the boost in visuals still revealed the Arnold stunt doubles in almost every single action sequence, it's very obvious and I can just imagine how much worse it could be with a good transfer. But like I said still a very fun movie with lots slick dialog and one liners, the action is absurd but a lot of fun if you just accept it and try not to think about it. I would probably only recommend die hard fans pick this up now and the rest only consider it on a deep deep sale.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have any idea what Umbrella's standard order processing time is? I ordered the standard edition of the 1993 Super Mario Bros release and there was nothing to indicate they didn't have stock, but that was back on March 5th and I've not seen any movement. Just didn't know if I should ping them via email or if I should give it more time.

They're usually little late compared to their estimates by my experiences. Nothing big usually but I did have one order that was couple weeks late and I did send them a email about it. Got the rather normal message of we're sorry and we will send it as soon as possible etc. kind of message back. My package did get sent couple days later though. :P

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
Have been frustrated for a long time with Xbox's Blu Ray app, and got to the point of anger yesterday when it was having severe audio stuttering while watching Season 3 of Twin Peaks.

Finally picked up a standalone player today (Panasonic UB450) - should have done so sooner. Dolby Vision is a massive upgrade.

OP
OP
KDash

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Just got these in from Disney Movie Insiders:
L9i23cU.jpg

Gonna redeem their rewards points and order another free movie in a bit.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it's nice to see Disney updating the rewards again, there was like a six month period where all they added was Hocus Pocus and Snow Buddies.

I was a bit tempted by the Atlantis Blu-ray but I'm worried about the quality if both movies are on one disc (plus I'm strict enough about the curation on my digital library that I wouldn't want Atlantis 2 in there, lol).

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
They're usually little late compared to their estimates by my experiences. Nothing big usually but I did have one order that was couple weeks late and I did send them a email about it. Got the rather normal message of we're sorry and we will send it as soon as possible etc. kind of message back. My package did get sent couple days later though. :P

I emailed them the day after my post and they replied back saying they had trouble getting the latest batch in from the replicator, but they expected them in the next week (this week). True to their word it shipped yesterday, now to see how long it takes to get something from Australia, I've never ordered anything from there so far as I can remember.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so very LTTP on this but God damn Pacific Rim is the best looking and sounding disc that I've ever experienced

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Finally have my hands on the Cameron 4Ks. Scanned through the True Lies rip I made, and even on my 1440p screen I feel like I can see some of the AI smoothing effect in certain scenes (there's one where Schwarzenegger is in the back of a car talking to Tom Arnold, who's driving, and Schwarzenegger looks a bit off). Will have to see how it is on an actual 4K TV. I think I can live with this; it's not terribly intrusive in the segments I checked. It's unfortunate we can't get something better, but if this is what Cameron thinks is the best option available, then I guess it is what it is.

(Coming soon: am I going to be okay with Amelie never being in 4K? I guess it'll be fine.)

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I didn't make it far into True Lies, as I found it *that* bad, but the scene that got me, was where he walks down the stairs at the party during the opening segment. It looks utterly bizarre to me. Then there were moments like that dotted throughout until I just gave up. I didn't have the same problem with either The Abyss or Aliens, but I wouldn't call them good either. The Abyss did have some moments of real detail in there during some shots.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
from what i understand Titanic is the strongest of this batch of Cameron 4K rereleases right? reading impressions it seems Aliens and especially True Lies lie at the bottom.

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
How are the recent (American) Godzilla films on 4K? I've never seen them and that noticed there's a pretty good sale on at the moment.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Maybe not on all three. This guy is pretty level-headed with most of his reviews.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezPbc6GMgBY&t=0s

he's pretty great. good follow on twitter, and openly supportive LGBQT+ and liberal leaning.
from what i understand Titanic is the strongest of this batch of Cameron 4K rereleases right? reading impressions it seems Aliens and especially True Lies lie at the bottom.
titanic looks fantastic. I haven't watched the other three, my copy of the abyss only got her monday.

View: https://x.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1773009145089900864?s=20
one of us, one of us (4k collector)

How are the recent (American) Godzilla films on 4K? I've never seen them and that noticed there's a pretty good sale on at the moment.
ive watched them all, they all look great.
Godzilla in particular has a couple of shots that are like "wow"

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
FYI, both Kino Larber and Arrow are having sales right now:

www.arrowvideo.com

Arrow Films US

The Arrow Easter Carnage sale is live with hundreds of Blu-rays and UHDs on offer. Shop up to 50% off today!
which reminds me. We watched Kindergarten Cop with the kids. Still funny, and the transfer is really good.
Though i dont know what it is about these 80s early 90s movies that start our realllllly grainy, and then the grain changes. Ghostbusters was the same way, super grainy at the start and then its like they changed film stocks for later parts of the movie.

Last edited:

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
which reminds me. We watched Kindergarten Cop with the kids. Still funny, and the transfer is really good.
Though i dont know what it is about these 80s early 90s movies that start our realllllly grainy, and then the grain changes. Ghostbusters was the same way, super grainy at the start and then its like they changed film stocks for later parts of the movie.
It's possible you're noticing the generational loss of optically-composited credits at the beginning which would make the film appear grainier than usual. It would get noticeably sharper once those are out of the way after the first few minutes or so.

GambitPool

Nov 27, 2020

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY

I imagine composited shots with FX or with layered text/credits would cause the distinction between certain spots in films.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Is there a reliable list of region-locked Blu-ray Discs any more? I'm looking to find out if the USA Justified: City Primeval is locked to region A. Thanks for any help.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a fairly new UB820 player and it works, but sometimes gives me "can't read" errors for disks. Usually if I try a few times (open and close the tray to reset the read attempt) it eventually gets there. Has anyone else had that sort of issue. Is the player faulty or is that just a normal thing for 4k disks?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, either rip it or get a region-free player (though I'm not up on the latest in that regard, if it turns out those have mostly disappeared then forget I said anything). But ripping Blu-Rays is fairly straightforward these days if you're not worried about 4K discs, and region locks are trivial to bypass.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Yeah, either rip it or get a region-free player (though I'm not up on the latest in that regard, if it turns out those have mostly disappeared then forget I said anything). But ripping Blu-Rays is fairly straightforward these days if you're not worried about 4K discs, and region locks are trivial to bypass.
Yeah good point. I don't have any way to store and stream them though, so I guess I would have to rip them, remove the region protection, then write them to BD which adds even more cost as I would need blank discs and a BD writer. I might as well just 'investigate' less legal means at that point. I'm not going to give money to companies that engage in such bizarre region antics with physical discs.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017

I cannot implore everyone ENOUGH to watch this movie. It's still reference animation quality material and the movies 13 years old with a photo realistic surreal style. Eye candy aside it's actually a fantastic western.
got Brotherhood of the Wolf and Ran on 4K for my birthday, very excited to check both out
I remember Brotherhood of the Wolfs blu ray being putrid, almost like a repackaged DVD that wasn't good looking to begin with. I hated the movie regardless but the scenery should look great with the proper transfer on 4K.