• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 2, 2019
The new Fallout TV show on Amazon Prime Video has been a huge success, with older games in the series, such as Fallout: New Vegas or Fallout 76, seeing new all-time player count peaks on Steam as a result.

However, Bethesda Game Studios' next game, The Elder Scrolls VI, is still years away from completion, meaning Fallout 5 won't arrive until the 2030s.

Now, it has been claimed that Xbox is hyper-aware of the anticipation for the next Fallout game and is eager to explore opportunities to make that arrive sooner rather than later.

On a recent episode of The Xbox Two Podcast, Jez Corden claimed that 'the company is aware' of the demand for the Fallout label, and everyone is acutely aware of how successful the next title in the series will be. At this point, one of the only avenues the company could take to speed up the development of Fallout 5 is to take it away from Bethesda Game Studios entirely. That would make it the first major Fallout game not developed by Bethesda since 2010's Fallout New Vegas.

Source:

insider-gaming.com

Xbox Wants The Next Fallout Game To Come Sooner, It's Claimed

It has been claimed that Xbox wants the next Fallout game - potentially Fallout 5 - to come as soon as possible as hype persists.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
even if they start this year, it's still going to take at least 5 years to be made.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
It is a bit insane that right now we can't expect Fallout 5 til the 2030s

Obsidian does seem like the obvious choice if we want to get one sooner

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
It doesn't even need to be Fallout 5. It can be "Fallout: Spin-off Subtitle" and Bethesda can keep ownership of Fallout 5 for when they're ready.

I know Obsidian have already announced Outer Worlds 2 so I'm not sure they are the right pick, unless they're happy to abandon their own IP for a while.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they do but the reality is that it's still going to require multiple years of Dev time even if they greenlit it right now.

You'll probably miss the boat on S2 and even S3 of the show, is that worth it to reduce the impact Fallout 5 would have after TES6

Oct 27, 2017
If they want to cash in, sell some quick and dirty remasters of 3 and NV already. By the time 5 releases, the show will probably be wrapped.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for at the very least a New Vegas remaster/remake in the next few years to capitalise on the show for season 2.

DrewyMcK

Nov 5, 2017
Surprised they didn't get inXile to do updated versions of the first two games to line up with the show. I have to guess they'll be looking for Obsidian to do a "New Vegas 2" at the very least.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
It's also important to note that this is why Fallout 76 (and ESO) exist. To keep their relevant IP running. They both make bank for Bethesda, and 76 has seen a colossal surge in player numbers. So I wouldn't say they completely wasted the show's opportunity. I would still love to see more spin-off titles outsourced though for single player entries like New Vegas.

Ostrav

Feb 14, 2023
My sources told me they also want it to review really well, have great profits and no delays.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Best they can do is some kind of remake. Just no way they make a fully fleshed out new game anytime soon. And the least amount of time that can take is what 3 years minimum?

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they hand it to Obsidian to work on right after Avowed, I can't see this coming out before ~2029. They can't take the foundation of a previous Fallout as they did with New Vegas. They are experienced with Outer Worlds, but they would probably have to use Bethesda's tech and follow their basic design philosophy from Starfield and TES6 to make it feel like a Bethesda game.

rzks21

Aug 17, 2023
inXile or Obsidian would be wonderful fits for this. I will be very happy if Microsoft isn't playing along with the idea that Bethesda should control the future of the series.

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see a smaller scale isometric one like 1 and 2 that won't take 5+ years to develop.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
I reckon we'll see a few smaller scale Fallout spin offs in different genres before the next proper RPG. And maybe a 3 remake/remaster. They'll want stuff coming out from that IP even if it's not the next big game.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Shows gonna be over by 2029 assuming we get five seasons so the moment to capitalize on it is done outside of re-prioritizing a Fallout 3 remake or something. I guess theoretically they could get three studios they own to drop everything and focus on a new Fallout but I don't know who that would be.

Use this time to focus on building a new damn engine so that when we finally get Fallout 5 it's a technical showpiece instead of the same old jank.

I'd like to see a smaller scale isometric one like 1 and 2 that won't take 5+ years to develop.

There you go. You could even market it as a retro throwback with modern tech, start an official side series that runs in parallel to the main games.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, why didn't they think about this before the show? It's still gonna be years from now till the next game.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda think remakes and/or remasters of 3 & New Vegas would be the smart move whilst they ramp up to a full on Fallout 5. There's plenty of studios those could be outsourced to.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
They've 'lost' a lot of time with Starfield.
As an IP it didn't live up to expectations , it's just a worse Fallout.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Possibly a dumb question but based off BGS' massive popularity, how do they not have two main studios this point? One dedicated to Elder Scrolls and one dedicated to Fallout? Surely they could afford it now.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shows gonna be over by 2029 assuming we get five seasons so the moment to capitalize on it is done outside of re-prioritizing a Fallout 3 remake or something. I guess theoretically they could get three studios they own to drop everything and focus on a new Fallout but I don't know who that would be.

Use this time to focus on building a new damn engine so that when we finally get Fallout 5 it's a technical showpiece instead of the same old jank.
I don't know, most big budget shows these days seem to get a season released every two years. I'm not expecting season 2 until at least 2026.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why they haven't given Obsidian the reigns over the Fallout franchise years ago. Bethesda handling Starfield, Elder Scrolls and Fallout all alone just does not work out when development schedules are as long as they have become. Who looked at the timeframes and thought that, yep, 15 years between Fallout 4 and Fallout 5 will be okay?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Christ on a bike give it to obsidian and don't fuck them over at the end of the day. I would love to see at least one more fallout that is more RPG than kill em all simulator.

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
Um... this generation probably never even played FO4, so the PS5 60fp upgrade probably counts? at least a little. If they mean exclusive then add me to the "do a smaller isometric game" in line with the TV narrative, as a Sony owner I'd not get to play it anyways. It seems a LOCK that they would re-release FO3 next. I wonder if they could consider some DLC for FO4 now its available this gen, the DLC could line up with the TV show story.

Last edited:

CutieYuri

Oct 7, 2022
The rumored/leaked Fallout 3 remaster would be the stopgap needed to capitalize on Fallout TV's currently popularity until the next mainline game comes along.

Mar 17, 2024
I hope we'll see remakes of the first two games, remasters of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and Fallout 5 before I am 60 years old. lol

Nov 3, 2017
That would at least make an OBVIOUS accessibility feature for common issues of motion sickness and nausea, like an FOV slider, available at launch (let alone at all!).

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why they haven't given Obsidian the reigns over the Fallout franchise years ago. Bethesda handling Starfield, Elder Scrolls and Fallout all alone just does not work out when development schedules are as long as they have become. Who looked at the timeframes and thought that, yep, 15 years between Fallout 4 and Fallout 5 will be okay?
They didn't have the bandwidth to make it while working on The Outer Worlds 2, Avowed, Grounded and Pentiment.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they've got most of the studios that could pull it off!

My guess is they'll try their best to line up a Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas remaster/remake for season 2.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they do. It's way too late to capitalize on the show, though. This is something that needed to already be in the works.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
They've 'lost' a lot of time with Starfield.
As an IP it didn't live up to expectations , it's just a worse Fallout.
Creative people should be allowed to pursue their interests, and doing so on the scale of BGS is not common and should be championed, whether you like the end product or not. Making the same thing over and over is boring for developers and for fans.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they start right now it would take until like 2029-30 to release the game. They should've had something in the burner apart from the next-gen update to premiere along the Fallout show.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
A remaster of 3 and NV would suffice and also make for good starting points for new fans, especially 3.

reksveks

May 17, 2022
1) Hindsight is 50/50; not sure people were going into the show which that level of expectations.
2) Obsidian and Inexile might want to work on their own IP/worlds
3) 2 doesn't mean that they shouldnt be asking that question internally and also seeing if there is any other options. I can see them speeding up a remaster/remake.