KoroEunectes

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic song and MV.
There is going to be a lot of gifs based on this MV lol
IRyS finally having her own Eurobeat song is amazing.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I never really understood the hate against the Vshojo audition stuff. They're not a charity. They're not obligated to pick some starry eyed up and comer. They pick whoever best fits/benefits the company, right?

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised she's so bothered by it since I thought the optics of the past member selections were really obvious.

From what I understand Zen in particular does alot to boost alot of vtubers with no views in general, so I can understand her personally feeling betrayed by this.

At the same time, it does seem like Matara and Ksons home for ex Niji or Holo talents for a while

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand Zen in particular does alot to boost alot of vtubers with no views in general, so I can understand her personally feeling betrayed by this.

At the same time, it does seem like Matara and Ksons home for ex Niji or Holo talents for a while

Yep. Out of their 8 last hires, 5 were former nijis and holos and the other 3 were all people they regularly collabed with, suggesting that the entire "audition" thing was just PR and they already knew way in advance - none of those people needed to go through that. They were all known quantities.

KoroEunectes

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

View: https://x.com/yayoiken1324/status/1811097032410681556
After Bae said she was going to pull a Cali and seeing all the projects she took on I can't say I'm surprised.
Burnout is no joke.
Hope she seriously takes a break (her talking about still working during her break doesn't give me much confidence sadly).
In my experience you either really have to take your time to recover or you end up spiraling and making everything worse in the long term.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I never really understood the hate against the Vshojo audition stuff. They're not a charity. They're not obligated to pick some starry eyed up and comer. They pick whoever best fits/benefits the company, right?

1. People don't like nepotism in general - it's definitely a thing that I've seen people being more vocal in general, and I especially thing its true in our particular subculture.
2. You had the meme of Elira's friends with Nijisanji - and things have turned pretty dire there (obviously shit hit the fan way after Haruka joined), but people do feel vindicated about the meming.
3. Having open auditions just to have the only person join being an orbiter felt like taking the rug under from people. If it was Haruka + 1, I don't htink they would have received this backlash.

Alot of this is just there's alot of vtubers who really have nobody watching them and it's tough.

WowCoolRobot

Aug 15, 2021

Indeed. People have always been weird about it. Hiring people you know isn't nepotism if they've put in the work and made a name for themselves - to say otherwise is to seriously undervalue the nature of the work itself.

And now they explicitly try and diversify by growing another way, even calling out the prevailing perception of the company, people are still being weird.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
GSLeykLaYAA6Pd6

GR77zLpaIAAWHRH

View: https://x.com/ou_en_event/status/1808721166061940995

Icarian

May 9, 2018

Do you know the story of the Boy Who Cried Wolf? Same thing really.

It's not about being a charity or whatever, it's about leading people, making them pour time and effort and giving them hope, for something that was not going to happen from the start, the people who applied to previous "auditions" likely had 0 chance from the get go.

It's no different from any company accepting applications, make applicants go through the interview process and then ghost them because they had no intention of hiring any them. It's an extremely shitty thing to do.

Let me be first to say that I don't think they did this on purpose or with any malicious intent, it probably was just bad organization on their part, but it doesn't take away from the fact that all their last hires have exclusively been people they've personally known previously, and if they wanted to go with this route (which is completely fair) then they should've never made the applications public.

Last edited:

koga88

Sep 25, 2022

Hard to really justify it considering VShojo's history though. Outside of one? member I believe that was hired despite the fact that they have always had auditions open to people, this is mostly just a push to drive people to apply more, they have all been big names before or friends of the group prior. Even the one they did actually hire was still a pretty close friend with most of the group so it just reeks of nepotism.

It is one thing if it happened once or twice, but literally every single person they've brought on it has been like this. This same reaction happened last time they advertised that they had open audition spots too, only this time it seems like it is hitting a nerve.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. People have always been weird about it. Hiring people you know isn't nepotism if they've put in the work and made a name for themselves - to say otherwise is to seriously undervalue the nature of the work itself.

And now they explicitly try and diversify by growing another way, even calling out the prevailing perception of the company, people are still being weird.
It's just that this kind of audition already happened before, and what happened then is why there's a perception of them stringing on prospective VTubers. Take what happened with the 2021 audition. It happened, several applicants advanced several stages, and then nothing both publicly and apparently behind the scenes (as Anny said, she went to stage 3 and then suddenly stage 3 didn't exist anymore). Then a while later, Haruka joined.

So what happened there? Did they do the audition in the earnest, and then Haruka applied and they just went "never mind" on the rest of the applicants? Or did Haruka have nothing to do with the audition and it's just quietly cancelled? Whatever the case, the lack of information makes it bad optics.

Afterwards Henya, Geega, Kuro, Matara and Michi joined, all without the need for an audition. So regardless what happened in the 2021, public perception becomes either "Haruka snuffed prospective members by joining an audition she didn't need" or "VShojo's audition is a sham as they never intend to welcome non-friends."

In any case, people just need assurance that they wouldn't have someone like Snuffy or something swoop in and make the whole audition moot.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

View: https://x.com/dokibird/status/1811193939506127133

I saw a lot of talk about this but I hope to see more companies and viewers take a chance on polishing hidden gems within the Indie sphere. Joining a company is still ideal for those who are struggling to break more than 20+ viewers and there's more benefits having an established fanbase of viewers.

I wasn't known in the vtuber sphere when I first debut and had actually been rejected 3 times for twitch partner. I used to average 10-20 viewers a stream, 30 on a good day. All I mostly did was spam apex and sometimes stream art, barely collabing or interacting with anyone and sometimes taking 2+ months break without telling my fans. At that time, my only skillset was just being good at a FPS game that was really popular.

When I got my first lucky break, it was then I decided to actually apply myself to be more ambitious in content creation. I don't think anyone could predict how far I could go since my career was nonexistent compared to other vtubers that were around at that time in 2020. I was a hidden gem and a gamble since I honestly think I was recruited purely off my skills in shooters as that was a big niche at that time in western vtubing.

There's so many hidden talented streamers that might not be popular or "make it" because they never had the chance or the resources. It's a huge gamble to make to try and polish these gems into diamonds but it's healthy for the growth of talents/new blood in the entertainment sphere.

WowCoolRobot

Aug 15, 2021
In any case, people just need assurance that they wouldn't have someone like Snuffy or something swoop in and make the whole audition moot.

They've been giving those assurances, but seems its not enough for a lot of people?

It feels very damned if you do damned if you don't and so I empathise with Zen's frustration. Especially as she's been pushing hard for this.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They've been giving those assurances, but seems its not enough for a lot of people?

It feels very damned if you do damned if you don't and so I empathise with Zen's frustration. Especially as she's been pushing hard for this.
Actions speak louder than words. The 2021 audition was a very sore spot for some people - that was never really addressed - and VShojo's reputation is of their own makings. They just have to persist and prove people wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TissueBox

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Just saw this vid chronicling the career of utaite/cover artist turned RU VTuber Sati Akura (she has some awesome covers of J-pop/Vocaloid songs, btw, usually transcribed in Russian)! Big fan of her stuff myself. ^^' The vid itself is not in English but thought I'd share anyway. *lazy shrug*

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHhjdpSkK14&t=0s

Zen is awesome, she shouldn't be too down on herself I say. :( Haters just for the sake of it are pahooey, but overall there has been a lot of positive responses by hopeful prospects who've always wanted to join VShojo.

Now that said, the problem was how they went about things in the past. They should have communicated what was going on with the auditions, whether it was still applicable or not, etc. Like Haruka's cool, which is the thing. But because of that misstep, she got a lot of hate that she did not deserve. And that coulda been prevented if the audition thing was better conveyed to the people. If they just took in a couple extra people alongside her. Etc. It really, really could have.

But this looks different, something that they're moving forward with having seen the backlash from what happened last. So I think it's worth putting stock in it.

In short;

1) Scouting is perfectly fine, in some cases preferable.
2) Miscommunication, on the other hand, is not.
3) VShojo seems to be aware of this, and asserting that this is for everyone.
4) (Because it would be really silly to make a repeat of what happened. :p)
5) Much love to Zen

Saw this earlier and thought it was very well-said! Doki knows the struggle alright. 😆

If VShojo wants to be a scout-only corp that's fine conceptually, it allows for a better grasp on the internal culture (and overall headcount :p) and what have you.

But in the same time we need more than just two big companies out there investing in the immensely saturated talent pool out there, with the majority of corpos in general being shady and awfully managed and prone to self-implosion (something that had partially taken place in one of said two big companies earlier this year, mind xP)

Corpo life outside of a few exceptions has sounded like an absolute can of worms the past year and a half, which is to be expected of companies and their bottom lines... >_< But hopefully we can see some more positive developments, particularly in the western/EN-speaking sphere, etc., over the horizon..!! ^^'

Last edited:

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
It's just that this kind of audition already happened before, and what happened then is why there's a perception of them stringing on prospective VTubers. Take what happened with the 2021 audition. It happened, several applicants advanced several stages, and then nothing both publicly and apparently behind the scenes (as Anny said, she went to stage 3 and then suddenly stage 3 didn't exist anymore). Then a while later, Haruka joined.

So what happened there? Did they do the audition in the earnest, and then Haruka applied and they just went "never mind" on the rest of the applicants? Or did Haruka have nothing to do with the audition and it's just quietly cancelled? Whatever the case, the lack of information makes it bad optics.

Afterwards Henya, Geega, Kuro, Matara and Michi joined, all without the need for an audition. So regardless what happened in the 2021, public perception becomes either "Haruka snuffed prospective members by joining an audition she didn't need" or "VShojo's audition is a sham as they never intend to welcome non-friends."

I've always felt they were going to pick people out side their orbit and haruka. But then the ENTIRE thing became such a shit show they cancelled the entire thing but they were already going to add haruka so they just added her. People are totally forgetting the crap load of people that were scammed by fake vshojo people, the whole thing with nux, and nyanners getting doxxed. I don't believe they did all that just for haruka.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah expect 3D dates, probably ending with Advent's anniversary at the end of this month
Then in August we have ID independence day and maybe ID re4rge reveal in first half of August
2nd half of August has the EN concerts
September is likely Regloss 3D and anniversary

That's a nice queue of events over the next couple months