Oct 25, 2017
So Lily got that huge ass mech just to be fucking useless? lol. She literally does absolutely nothing with it lmao. Should've just stayed on the damn ship and piloted the drone.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Started the final mission, or at least, the point of no return. This game has been a blast. Really hope this does well enough for a sequel.

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats, it was indeed a lot of fun aside from the early game which felt a little too tedious. Interesting to see how you handled Raven, she was the only one that gave me a little trouble. In the end I just saved a full beta and burst bar for her second phase and trapped her in a loop of Rush Chain, Onslaught II, Shock Wave & Tempest.
Abaddon is especially tedious since his hitboxes reflect his model so you need to be careful with what combo you choose...incase the finisher slashes thin air.

And she is very fun, lots of potential for player expression with proactively setting up combos to interrupt teleport moves. Also really enjoy gunslingering her to interrupt moves. I do think they should have added another phase transition at 25% for the taunt ultimate, you should have to work abit harder to interrupt that.

Only boss that gave me trouble was Juggernaut. The way the fire poop works is pretty frustrating.

And ye I wish the burst skills were more focused on counterattacking, dodging under attacks like @ 19:30 is extremely cool...but doesnt actually do anything special.
Feel like most people will just use them for the knockdowns, despite the swag utility.

wicked.

It's always nice to be reminded that even though I have a platinum in a game, I still kinda didn't really master it, not even close lol.
Mastery seems a weird concept in this game, there is so much you can actually interact with...which means you also will never interact with half of it.

Providence for example has a ton of moves, but most of them can be simplified down to an option select....parry->parry-> counterattack II.

I can no longer imagine playing without attack speed gear in all four slots.

View: https://streamable.com/1rcwqr

And this is before I've unlocked the level 3 mk2 gear, which I'm super jazzed for.

Felt sick going back to NG after 160% attack speed life.
NG+ eve is stupidly broken, IDK why they dont even scale enemies for new game cycles.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I just got to Nibel in FFVII and have been getting a little burnt out on the game..so im taking a break and tried Stellar Blade for a little bit..AND OH BABY, DO I NEED TO RETRAIN MY BRAIN TO NOT BUTTON SMASH. My gf and I were howling at the ridiculous outfits her Eve's tiny tie, lolol. But the combat is really fun now that I am sooooorta getting use to it. I fucking suck at dodging and parrying so Imma try to fast track to those upgrades. Enemy design so far is kinda boring but the music is good!

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
Man I think after this I'm just gonna start uninstalling games the second they ask me to slowly push big blocks around. I'm just beyond, beyooond done with this kind of garbage in games.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished it. Did the good ending then reloaded my save for the true ending. I was really looking forward to this game, and while I don't think it quite reached my expectations it's still a really good game and I hope it does well enough to get a sequel.

What I liked:
- How polished it was. Solid 60fps with great IQ. This game just feels so good to play.
- Costumes. Outside of Spiderman I can't think of any other game that gives out this many cosmetics for free in recent years. There were definitely some dudes in them but ultimately it was great having all these options and made exploration feel worthwhile.
- Spire 4. I loved this part of the game so much, probably one of my favorite video game sections ever. We need more games with giant space elevators.

What I was mixed on:
- Story. I really liked the premise and thought it was super interesting. I also wasn't as down on the characters as some other people, but the execution definitely needed work.
- Combat. For the most part I enjoyed the combat but I hated the parry timing window and the game also felt really unresponsive for certain things.

What I disliked
- Outside of a very small handful, the side quests were trash.
- This is far from the worst fishing minigame i've played but it's still is a fishing minigame which I hate so i'm docking points for it.
- The pacing. The game's pacing prior to the point of no return sucks. They give you two very similar open world areas back to back alongside a near endless amount of side quests. Would've preferred if the game was more linear without these sections.

Hopefully we get a sequel that takes place entirely on the colony.

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
- Costumes. Outside of Spiderman I can't think of any other game that gives out this many cosmetics for free in recent years. There were definitely some dudes in them but ultimately it was great having all these options and made exploration feel worthwhile.
- Spire 4. I loved this part of the game so much, probably one of my favorite video game sections ever. We need more games with giant space elevators.

Jedi Survivir would be a third spot but yes, easily one of the best and most fun aspects of Stellar Blade.

The entire last level of the game (which is very long) is awesome. It also featured the kind of monster design I expected from bosses. Top tier stuff.

WardFail

Banned
Jul 30, 2022
United States
Finally rolled credits after about 47ish hours. Only missing a handful of collectables and doing a runback to grab the other 2 endings.

I maxed out affinity with Lily on my first play through, does that max affinity remain in NG+ or do I need to build it up again?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Finally finished it. Did the good ending then reloaded my save for the true ending. I was really looking forward to this game, and while I don't think it quite reached my expectations it's still a really good game and I hope it does well enough to get a sequel.

What I liked:
- How polished it was. Solid 60fps with great IQ. This game just feels so good to play.

What I was mixed on:
- Story. I really liked the premise and thought it was super interesting. I also wasn't as down on the characters as some other people, but the execution definitely needed work.
- Combat. For the most part I enjoyed the combat but I hated the parry timing window and the game also felt really unresponsive for certain things.

What I disliked
- Outside of a very small handful, the side quests were trash.
- This is far from the worst fishing minigame i've played but it's still is a fishing minigame which I hate so i'm docking points for it.
- The pacing. The game's pacing prior to the point of no return sucks. The give you two very similar open one areas back to back alongside a near endless amount of side quests. Would've preferred if the game was more linear without these sections.

Hopefully we get a sequel that takes place entirely on the colony.

Agree with last point, would nice to have a jungle or forest biome rather than 2 desserts. I actually thought the fishing mini game was the most fun i played compare to others, at least the dev was smart enough to make it short ish and I think its side quests are removed from ngp. My complain about the control would be L2 when you aim, doesn't feel snappy and there is some kind of delay, switch ammo type is also not snappy and unresponsive. Side quests which also kind of tie to the fame overall writing and dialogs that are just not great, kind of an after thought but the maps however in the game are very well designed for exploring so I ended up doing all of them anyway. Hopefully game they can hire better writer at the beginning

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, color me surprised to find double jump and hair customization as rewards in Xion side missions. I mean, the latter reward makes sense as an optional side reward but for double jump to be possibly missable if you're only doing main quests thing is a bit baffling.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Wow, color me surprised to find double jump and hair customization as rewards in Xion side missions. I mean, the latter reward makes sense as an optional side reward but for double jump to be possibly missable if you're only doing main quests thing is a bit baffling.
You get double jump from the main questline if you don't get it in the side mission first.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Sliding on the tube, encounter Belial & boss fight in the end.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHUqRC2XGQ

758839733404172291.gif

wamoss

Aug 11, 2022
The great desert has probably been the location that has aggravated me the most in terms of the combat system. So many of these enemies can just chain stun lock you and I find there's almost nothing you can do about it once you take a hit. Hell, fighting multiple enemies at once is when the game starts to feel pretty sloppy.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
The great desert has probably been the location that has aggravated me the most in terms of the combat system. So many of these enemies can just chain stun lock you and I find there's almost nothing you can do about it once you take a hit. Hell, fighting multiple enemies at once is when the game starts to feel pretty sloppy.
I was just entering this thread to complain about the desert. It's awful to navigate in, the map is atrocious and the compass disappears quickly forcing me to reopen the damn map. And the goddamn spiders that spawn during fights against biggest enemies… No, really, this is where the game fails hard.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Finally rolled credits after about 47ish hours. Only missing a handful of collectables and doing a runback to grab the other 2 endings.

I maxed out affinity with Lily on my first play through, does that max affinity remain in NG+ or do I need to build it up again?

You keep all the logs you picked up but the progress resets. So you won't regain progress unless you pick up more logs (they get respawned in NG+)

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I got the platinum last night and overall had a wonderful time with the game despite its problems. The open map sections would have really benefited from greater aesthetic diversity. Of course, on a replay you don't necessarily have to even engage much with those areas if you don't want to (my second playthrough in NG+ was maybe 7-8 hours whereas my first playthrough was more like 35) but I would rather that it was more visually appealing. The final few areas of the game were far more unique!

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
With all the reports of SB being sold out in a lot of stores, I wonder if it was undershipped in Japan.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
6th place in sales in Germany in its opening week.

Thanks for the heads up. Seems like a good result considering that chart includes digital and its by units.

We'll see how it did in EU once GI.biz does their european monthly chart.

Hmm, no idea if that is considered good or bad.

Wonder how it's doing worldwide 🤔

Impossible to say for sure, though I'm curious to see how it'll do in US since that should be its biggest market. We'll have to wait until the end of the month for that data though.

With all the reports of SB being sold out in a lot of stores, I wonder if it was undershipped in Japan.

Seems to be the case, though it makes sense when you look at other PS5 releases in the last years. Some games had too much stock which then becomes a problem for them to get rid of. For a game like SB which kinda came out of nowhere it wouldn't be very prudent to get a ton of stock.

For a physical PS5 game in Japan, that's really good. The fact that neither Shift Up nor Sony have mentioned total sales makes me think it's not doing great.

That's just your usual Sony behavior unfortunately. They rarely share sales data.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
The turret section in Spire 4 is genuine cancer. Did they playtest this ?

Overall the game has quite a few frustrating and poorly thought-out elements ; bad platforming physics, too many trash mobs harrassing you, HP sponge enemies, poor checkpoint placement, no tracker for collectibles, inability to fast travel... It's like everything that is not purely combat is amateur at best.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

Overall the game has quite a few frustrating and poorly thought-out elements ; bad platforming physics, too many trash mobs harrassing you, HP sponge enemies, poor checkpoint placement, no tracker for collectibles, inability to fast travel... It's like everything that is not purely combat is amateur at best.
I fast travel all the time.

bezuzu

May 3, 2023
So at Providence and am I missing something? Boss basically 2 shots me and I barely any dmg. Also has like 20 combos, blehgh

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
So at Providence and am I missing something? Boss basically 2 shots me and I barely any dmg. Also has like 20 combos, blehgh

I didn't like this boss because of the delayed attacks. They're just way too awful imo.
You'll eventually get the rhythm of the attacks and start parrying it consecutively.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wearing some melee protection gear, and protection and reflex exospines made a pretty noticeable difference in my survivability as well as helping me git gud at blocking and parrying the attack strings. I never got particularly good at it, but good enough to make it through to the end of the fight with nothing left in the gas tank.

Oct 26, 2017

On normal? Enemies are anything but spongy, most go down with one combo.

You using counter II? All of his combos can be simplified down to, block twice the counter II to interrupt the combo.
And to do real damage you're gonna have to beta chaining constantly.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Finally finished fishing. That quest for the fantastic bait was some A-grade padding. You start at the bulletin board, then you go talk to Clyde, then you go back to the bulletin board and buy intel from Roxy, then you go to the Wasteland to open a box, then you go back to the bulletin board to complete the quest, and then you finally go back to Clyde to get those last two fish. Amazing.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
What I thought I was buying: Fashion Sci-Fi Bayonetta.
What it turns out I bought: Fashion Sci-Fi Sekiro meets Resident Evil.

I don't mind the difference, but infinitely less chill than I expected! I've definitely had a few frights at enemy placement, too, which lead to some unexpected jumps and swearing. (This is way before any of the actual RE inspired sections other users have mentioned in the thread.) The additional stress does make the moments at camp all the more precious and peaceful. I've died a lot trying to get better at Perfect Parry + Dodge, but it's so viscerally satisfying to pull of each time -- like Witch Time -- that I keep powering through.

Exploration has been fantastic, and really rewarding. So many optional areas. I was surprised by how many little nooks and crannies I've missed despite trying to explore as much as I can. Platforming can be janky, though, and the true boss thus far of the game has been a mere plank. I immediately had the right idea of what to do, but it didn't work the first three times I tried it, so I spent 30 minutes running about trying to see if I was missing something. Finally worked on the forth try.

There's a fascinating dichotomy between the polished and bespoke elements of the game (combat, creature + character design, UI, science fiction art direction), and some elements that feel a bit more copy/paste, like the art direction in the levels themselves. There is also such an extreme difference in the writing quality in English between the dialogue in the main quest and the written collectibles and data banks entries, to the point I wondered if anything not to do with the main quest had been put through Google Translate. Some data entries have tense issues, some news articles I picked up were actively confusing to read. I'm curious if the same disparity is there in other languages?

I quite like Eve herself, though I hope the game brings with it more depth to her character as the story unfolds. As with FFVII Remake/Rebirth, the decision to prioritize character models over graphical fidelity in the levels was a good one, as the textures on Eve's default outfit alone are insane. (The lace-! The translucent ornate flowered plastic on her shoulder wings!) While the jiggle physics could be far worse than in her default outfit, it still does feel a silly at times, especially in emotional moments. Also, in an outfit that tight, there shouldn't be any jiggle physics at all! Sexy sci-fi fabric continues to baffle. As a screenshot addict, my real annoyance is at the continual animation priority of Eve having to do a 4-5 second sexy shift from side to side when she comes to a stop. It takes too long! Stop it! photo mode i need it

The soundtrack is as gorgeous as everyone has said, and I've been surprised how much it's been looping in my head. Really fantastic.

I haven't had as much time to play as I've liked, but I'm really enjoying myself. Still not sure what to call the game. Fashion Blade? Sexy Souls?

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Ran around the entire desert today, trying to do and find all that I can. Gotta say while it was still fun, the wasteland is definitely way better to explore.

Finally unlocked fishing, so I can finally make use of all the fishing spots I found many hours ago.🤓

Dec 5, 2017
Beat the game tonight, I really loved it, and it is my GOTY so far. It did have a good helping of weak points. The open world bits were by far my least favorite part. The writing in general felt fairly weak. It did have some higher points among that weak writing, but they did not happen often. I liked Lily a lot, but Adam was pretty forgettable. Once I got to the desert, I was feeling kind of burnt out. The stuff past the point of no return was amazing and really got me excited about the game again. So many cool set pieces and boss fights. I love all the outfits and would swap often. I Think Holiday Rabbit, Ocean Maid and Orca Engineer ended up being my favorite. Kind of a bummer that Black Pearl came so late into the game, but at least I have it for new game plus.

I'm really interested in seeing what the team can do with a second chance at a console game. The game had a lot of high points that more than offset the low points for me. I would love to see them take another stab at this. I would be curious where they go with Eve in a sequel, but maybe a new world and setting would be the better idea.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Alright, nabbed the Platinum trophy and the post-added NG+ trophies, so I'm all set for the time being and might bounce back when the Boss Rush mode arrives. Top-tier game, seriously impressed and will be high up on my GOTY list despite some clear niggles (VA/writing being the primary issue I have).