Lurker

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some posters here are bending over backwards to categorize Get Out as comedy.

It isn't. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it.

Satire? It certainly wasn't making fun of anything. Geez.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
How can it not be a comedy when...

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I loved the movie.

Blade runner 2049, Get out, and Dunkirk so far for me. Can't wait to see the Shape of Water

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is it actually the frontrunner at this point in the actual Oscars? It's still the best movie I've seen this year.
A horror-comedy satire being an Oscar frontrunner? Hah, I wish. Although there hasn't been any obvious picks for Oscar pushes although I'd love The Big Sick, The Florida Project, Good Time, Blade Runner 2049, and You Were Never Really Here to be.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the movie. It was an incredibly subversive satire. That's a form of comedy.

The problem here isn't what genre Get Out is, it's people ignoring the power of comedy. Comedy is one of the most vital and important social levers. It's fucking not trivial. And it is a Comedy.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are these movies comedies?

Fargo
Kings of Comedy
After Hours
American Psycho
Fight Club
Barton Fink
Trainspotting
Bringing out the Dead

I don't think you know what a comedy is.

Aside; I watched John Wick 2 again a few days ago and that is nearly as much comedy as it is action. It's hilarious!

Julius: Then humor me with,uh... but one question. Sei qui per il Santo Padre?

[translation: Are you here for the Pope?]

John Wick: No.

Julius: All right then.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It...It was directly making fun of white liberals who say sus ass shit and just making fun of how we feel in this country a lot of the time

Oct 26, 2017
A horror-comedy satire being an Oscar frontrunner? Hah, I wish. Although there hasn't been any obvious picks for Oscar pushes although I'd love The Big Sick, The Florida Project, Good Time, Blade Runner 2049, and You Were Never Really Here to be.

Jealous that you've seen You Were Never Really Here. I can't wait.

Also, I'm surprised at the number of people who loved Get Out and didn't catch that it was a satire.

Edit: Although I do understand that the comedy category is historically less prestigious.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I guess in the technical sense yeah, you can't have a privilege without having supremacy to wield it. But when I think "white supremacy" I'm usually thinking of the blatant type of neo-nazi advocating for a white ethnostate, not institutional racism. Am I wrong?

Their goal was to make black people slaves in their own bodies. The villains were all about owning black bodies. The slavery metaphor would be harder to make more clear.

They were very white supremacist but also strangely not "racist" in the strictest sense (since they wanted to dominate black people by becoming black people).

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I really feel like people might want to look into the classical roots of the terms "drama" and "comedy".

On the other hand, the Golden Globes could really help themselves by changing those categorical titles or finding a way to alter them into something more inclusive.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hahahaha isn't a well made and creative representation of systemic racism funny?

Why aren't you laughing?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I actually liked the way the movie handled its comedy more than I liked it as straight-up horror, and I think its comedic success gets downplayed a lot. That being said it's still doing a disservice to the movie. I think "Dark comedy horror," is a decent way to describe it though.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is like the show Shameless running as a comedy. It's not really a comedy but it has a higher chance at winning awards by being listed as one. I think Nurse Jackie was listed as a comedy and won.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Huh

I'm black and see the movie as a satire even if I wasn't laughing out loud.
Enough to be put in the same category as a Adam Sandler movie?

Yes I think the film has a satirical nature to it, but not so much that comedy is the first genre that it comes to mind when I think of it (you're not alone there, I'm brown myself).

Oct 26, 2017

Yes I think the film has a satirical nature to it, but not so much that comedy is the first genre that it comes to mind when I think of it (you're not alone there, I'm brown myself).

Sure, the first genre that comes to mind is horror, but that's not an option here. I can only speak for myself, but, going down the list of genre tags I'd apply to this movie, I'd get to comedy a long time before I got to drama.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Room and The Shawshank Redemption are both in the same category.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Besides the sherif in the beginning I don't really remember any other overt racism.

I mean if there was a deeper meaning to the movie I missed please point it out...

If you look at the first scene in the film you notice that Jeremy is wearing a knights helmet when he kidnaps Andrew. Peele said he wanted the Armitage's to be descends of the Knights Templar. When William Joseph Simmons founded the 2nd Ku Klux Klan he was a part of the the Knights Templar fraternity and took a lot of knight iconography and verbiage from it. During the dinner scene if you listen to how Jeremy talks to his dad he puts a lot of emphasis " This guy is dating my sister." One of the main goals of the Klan was to protect "the interests of white womanhood" which would explain why Jeremy seemed to prefer to violent dispatch his victims vs Rose's honey pot method.

I don't think it betrays the message of the film to read Jeremy's characters as more overtly racist. I've met plenty of families like the Armitage's where the parents were diet- racist liberal allies but their son fell down the white supremacist/alt-right/grand wizard rabbit hole.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, the first genre that comes to mind is horror, but that's not an option here. I can only speak for myself, but, going down the list of genre tags I'd apply to this movie, I'd get to comedy a long time before I got to drama.
Ok, to me that just speaks of how terrible the categories on the golden globes are, they are worse than the freaking oscars in that regard.

jvalioli

Oct 27, 2017
Yes this is how I see it. Comedy is the best label of the available labels to apply to this movie. I would define the genre as thriller/satire.

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, to me that just speaks of how terrible the categories on the golden globes are, they are worse than the freaking oscars in that regard.

No disagreement there. The separation of comedy and drama has always seemed to me like an excuse to get as many celebrities in the room as possible (everybody talks about The Martian, but remember when The Tourist got nominated as a comedy?). The Oscars have their problems, but at least they don't have a blatant "fishing for guests" category.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes they are both dramas, is just that one is a competent film and the other was made by a alien.

Doesn't mean that comedy is the genre that should define Get Out of all movies.

The Globes made rule changes after The Martian won Best Comedy or Musical.

In a revision of the rules that the organization, comprised of foreign journalists based in Los Angeles, has adopted for the upcoming awards season, the HFPA now states "motion pictures shall be entered in the category that best matches the overall tone and content of the motion picture. Thus, for example, dramas with comedic overtones should be entered as dramas."

Under the new definition, a movie like Ridley Scott's The Martian, which was nominated in the comedy/musical comedy last year, would presumably be more likely to be classified as a drama.

But since the definition could still leave plenty of room for debate, the organization is also specifying how it will decide whether a studio or network has submitted a comedy or drama in the correct category. After the submissions deadline, which has not yet been set but is expected to take place near the end of October, HFPA members will vote by written ballot whether or not to accept a submission in a given category (in terms of both comedy/drama and lead/supporting actor designations); a 2/3 vote of the membership is required to change the submission to another category. Between the submission deadline and the reminder list that comes out in mid-November, studios and publicists are banned from lobbying HFPA members about awards classifications issues. The rules also provide for an early determination of category questions by the HFPA for movies and TV shows that are submitted by Aug. 1.

While such procedures were in practice last year, according to one HFPA insider, the new rules make the procedure more explicit.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
It would still count as a black comedy, so the nomination isn't entirely without merit. Sure it plays it really straight, but the actual plot is ridiculous and dark at the same time, while also hammering home a very relevant social critique.

To assume this is done as some kind of white power conspiracy is as far fetched as the body swapping in the film itself

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017
If you look at the first scene in the film you notice that Jeremy is wearing a knights helmet when he kidnaps Andrew. Peele said he wanted the Armitage's to be descends of the Knights Templar. When William Joseph Simmons founded the 2nd Ku Klux Klan he was a part of the the Knights Templar fraternity and took a lot of knight iconography and verbiage from it. During the dinner scene if you listen to how Jeremy talks to his dad he puts a lot of emphasis " This guy is dating my sister." One of the main goals of the Klan was to protect "the interests of white womanhood" which would explain why Jeremy seemed to prefer to violent dispatch his victims vs Rose's honey pot method.

I don't think it betrays the message of the film to read Jeremy's characters as more overtly racist. I've met plenty of families like the Armitage's where the parents were diet- racist liberal allies but their son fell down the white supremacist/alt-right/grand wizard rabbit hole.

Ah yeah I forgot about he brother too.

I also just read an article and it seems I missed that the grandfather lost the olympics to a black guy at track and that's why he was running around in his new body at night. LOL.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys it's the F'N Golden Globes. They're the biggest sham during award season. Also, the quality of the awards themselves are no better than the trophies they award in elementary school.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah yeah I forgot about he brother too.

I also just read an article and it seems I missed that the grandfather lost the olympics to a black guy at track and that's why he was running around in his new body at night. LOL.

His grandfather lost to Jesse Owens when the Olympics was held in Nazi Germany.

Lurker

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are these movies comedies?

Fargo
Kings of Comedy
After Hours
American Psycho
Fight Club
Barton Fink
Trainspotting
Bringing out the Dead

I don't think you know what a comedy is.

Aside; I watched John Wick 2 again a few days ago and that is nearly as much comedy as it is action. It's hilarious!

It was mostly drama/thriller, not a comedy/musical.

Yes, it had comedic elements to it but to classify the whole film as comedy, so much so as to nominate it as a comedy over any other genre?

Satire does not automatically mean a comedy.

We all know what constitutes a comedy - humour. Let's stop pretending like we live in the 1500s and justify something as comedy when it isn't. If you wanna go all, "I dont think you know what comedy is", then why not just use the old definition of comedies as having happy endings and run away with that?

Some hyperbole here of people laughing a lot or some other excuse. It was a thought-provoking film and i said, "damn" a lot of times but nowhere was it funny. People just like to twist definitions now. Pretty much anything can be whatever you want to be. Next thing I know, people will be justifying Planet of the Apes as comedy (if it ever nominates itself to it) because it's a satirical commentary on animal cruelty or some other bullcrap.

Nov 8, 2017

Yes, it had comedic elements to it but to classify the whole film as comedy, so much so as to nominate it as a comedy over any other genre?

We all know what constitutes a comedy - humour. Let's stop pretending like we live in the 1500s and justify something as comedy when it isn't. If you wanna go all, "I dont think you know what comedy is", then why not just use the old definition of comedies as having happy endings and run away with that?

Some hyperbole here of people laughing a lot or some other excuse. It was a thought-provoking film and i said, "damn" a lot of times but nowhere was it funny. People just like to twist definitions now. Pretty much anything can be whatever you want to be. Next thing I know, people will be justifying Planet of the Apes as comedy (if it ever nominates itself to it) because it's a satirical commentary on animal cruelty or some other bullcrap.

I love the Ikiru avatar something fierce but you're backpedaling like no other.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere? Not even the friend's reactions on the phone?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Its kind of sad how many times I've heard voting for Obama in real life as the barometer for whose racist or not.

Lurker

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nowhere? Not even the friend's reactions on the phone?

Well yeah id give you that but he really was the audience meta character. I thought it was clever more than it is funny - and it made sense.

or maybe it's also making fun of movie characters who are too dumb to think the first time through when something suspicious happens?

Idk.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
His grandfather lost to Jesse Owens when the Olympics was held in Nazi Germany.
That was such a good touch.
Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-G00630%2C_Sommerolympiade%2C_Siegerehrung_Weitsprung.jpg

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think a serious movie being labeled a comedy is one of the greatest praises you can give it. Wag the Dog isn't very funny but it's a comedy along with those others I listed. Calling Get Out a comedy is a greater honor than it being a simple horror or thriller/drama. Drama is easy, Comedy is hard.

The 1966 book "Act Your Way to Successful Living" by Neil and Margaret Rau, describes the final conversation of Edmund Gwenn. George Seaton visited Gwenn while he was suffering his last illness, and conversed with him at length. One topic of discussion was the difficulty of playing comedy, and Gwenn jokingly stated:

All the honors go to the tragedian for chewing up the scenery, while the comedian, who has to be much more subtle to be funny, is just loudly criticized when he doesn't come through.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/10/26/comedy-is-hard/

When people call Get Out a comedy they are doing it with respect. Given your avatar you seem like a person who will be willing to consider the power of comedy.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it is funny as fuck... like, really dark but funny.

The movie is a satire and as much a comedy as it is thriller/horror.

People saying you can't call it a comedy because it deals with serious, painful themes are missing the forest for the trees.

"We laugh because it hurts"