What party member are you looking forward to playing as the most?

• Cloud

Votes: 228 18.7%
  • Barrett

Votes: 48 3.9%
  • Tifa

Votes: 307 25.2%
  • Aerith

Votes: 54 4.4%
  • Red XIII

Votes: 215 17.7%
  • Yuffie

Votes: 207 17.0%
  • Cait Sith

Votes: 159 13.1%

• Total voters

oty

Feb 28, 2023
Thanks appreciate the info. I think I got a bit heated in the moment as well. I don't think it was truly terrible, just a lot more challenging than I was expecting going in. Feel if the time limit was a bit more generous I think I would have had more fun with it.
oh trust me, that is going to happen again rofl

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Queen's Blood seems fun. Often board mini-games aren't that fun for me, but this is quite cool so far.

Reminds me a bit of the game in Splatoon 3.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Finally back to chapter 13 today. I still don't think I'm going to end up beating it this weekend!

Reno and Rude beat the hell out of me last night lol, so let's see how this goes today…

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I see the weapon upgrade system has changed and we have a sphere grid style upgrade system now and weapons themselves have a different system.

Looks better at a glance, what are your thoughts on it?

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
I see the weapon upgrade system has changed and we have a sphere grid style upgrade system now and weapons themselves have a different system.

I think they tried to make the upgrade system for the weapons more simplified because now we have a lot more party members that we can use and each one has 7 weapons in total so keeping the old sphere grid for each weapons and character would have been a drag.
So what they thought as a solution is to drop the sphere grid completely and have an automated way for weapons to get upgrades
and also move a lot of these upgrades to the Folios system.
I mean at the end it works and it's ok but they could have found a better way to manage that, so if they get rid of it and implemented something different in Part3 I wouldn't be mad.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So question. Is there a point of no return where the game tells you now is the time to wrap up any unfinished business?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017

Its worse than the one in Remake. Not a fan nor of the fact that you have to go to an NPC or machine to do the upgrades.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything I should work toward early on in terms of unlocks?

I think they tried to make the upgrade system for the weapons more simplified because now we have a lot more party members that we can use and each one has 7 weapons in total so keeping the old sphere grid for each weapons and character would have been a drag.
So what they thought as a solution is to drop the sphere grid completely and have an automated way for weapons to get upgrades
and also move a lot of these upgrades to the Folios system.
I mean at the end it works and it's ok but they could have found a better way to manage that, so if they get rid of it and implemented something different in Part3 I wouldn't be mad.

Its worse than the one in Remake. Not a fan nor of the fact that you have to go to an NPC or machine to do the upgrades.
So far I prefer it... but I'm very early. Having to go to a vendor to make changes does suck, but I wasn't a fan of the weapon system before and the folio grid here seems a lot much interesting so far.

Might change in time, if the concensus is that it's worse...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is Dynamic difficulty the hardest of the three? I assume it is from the description.

You can always reset but the synergy abilities overall are the most useful IMO. The pseudo spells that don't cost mp are also valuable early on so you always can cover weaknesses.
Yeah I grannies those free spell skills, synergy stuff looks really interesting but will have to wait for a long enough battle to really make use of them.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
Is Dynamic difficulty the hardest of the three? I assume it is from the description.

I don't know know if there is a concensus but I think dynamic is the most difficult since it only scales stuff up and not down from what I know. So if you were to only follow the critical path it would be like "normal" but if you level up via side content then it will become more difficult than "normal" since it will scale stuff up.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know know if there is a concensus but I think dynamic is the most difficult since it only scales stuff up and not down from what I know. So if you were to only follow the critical path it would be like "normal" but if you level up via side content then it will become more difficult than "normal" since it will scale stuff up.
Okay sound slike dynamic is the way for me then. Thanks!

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
without spoilers how far do I have to go once I reach the sleeping forest? this game has really really overstayed its welcome and I'm tempted to just read a synopsis of the rest if there's much more. Thanks!

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
lol yeah, was big off my game yesterday.

Reno and Rude pushed my shit in last night, but I just wiped the floor with them now. Wonders what happens when playing a boss fight when you're not prepared vs totally ready for it.

oty

Feb 28, 2023
yeah I can definitely see why Chapter 13 bugged people. you can't do the switcheroo multiple times, man....

crazy enough, I'm actually having...more fun than just tidying up sidequests. doesnt hurt that the music around here is freaking amazing

yeah I definitely prefer the old one, even though I understand they wanted to simplify it since now you have 7x6 = 42 weapons. wish they had found a middle term between the two tho

Last edited:

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
without spoilers how far do I have to go once I reach the sleeping forest? this game has really really overstayed its welcome and I'm tempted to just read a synopsis of the rest if there's much more. Thanks!

Just letting you know how long...

This is the final chapter. The entire chapter is also basically just boss fights. It is hard and you may die, but it shouldn't take more than 2 hours of gameplay..

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
So I played the ending of Ch 14 in chunks since it is so long. After 2 hours with breaks I'm on the final final fight, he's on his desperation spin move and I'm about to stagger aaaaand, power outage.

I don't know if I'll ever go back to actually beat it now with how obnoxiously long it took last time. What a horrible design decision.

Tigel

Oct 27, 2017
Game just glitched on me during the final fight 😭

During the
Zack vs Sephiroth phase, they both just stand around doing nothing
It looks like the game is stuck in a cutscene transition and there is no way to restart the fight except restarting the game which will bring me all the way back at the start of the
Jenova fight

Now I don't know if I have the courage/patience do it all over again 😭

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I was cruising through Queen's Blood for most of the game, but now I'm suddenly losing left and right against Level 7 opponents. Any tips?

I feel like it suddenly got a lot more complex with all of the enfeeblement bonus effects and such, and I'm getting spanked by every Level 7 match I try so far. I must be missing something crucial here.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Making my way slowly through chapter 13…

Beat up all the Turks now, so I'm guessing I have Demon Gate left (just going by what I remember of OG…).

I liked the group getting broken up, it was nice to have some equal time with Cloud/Barret/Tifa, and then Aerith/Yuffie/Red.

Cloud is pretty gone at this point… "it's not death, it's a homecoming", and I can't believe he pretty much just missed killing Elena lol. Cloud, she's 18. I liked the moment where Aerith clocked the "it's not death, it's a homecoming" when Sephiroth said it as well.

Edit: Ayyyy

Aerith: extremely rousing speech about life and death, past and future.

Cloud: "are you finished."

😬

Edit:
And with that, I believe I'm stopping right before Demon Gate. Just fought a bunch of adamantoise and had some chats with the Cetra.

Also, all that sexual energy during Cloud's trial lmao. Sephiroth just full out embracing Cloud with both hands hahahaha.

The end of my weekend unfortunately, and didn't get as far as I wanted because of some interruptions. Because I know I'm getting close, I may hold off until NEXT weekend now because I don't necessarily want to play in small chunks over the week of what is likely most of the finale.

Last edited:

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Heh, going through the parade sequence brought back some bad memories of me really messing that part up badly in the original. The QTE format here was a bit disorienting to me at first, but fortunately not too bad after giving it a couple tries.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I shouldn't have been surprised but my jaw dropped going from the corel region to Gongaga and realizing it was just as big.

Also holy shit
CISSNEI FRON CRISIS CORE I actually gasped lol
This game is amazing

Frakked

Jun 5, 2018
Cannot stress how loud my sigh of relief was after beating Rulers of the Outer World.

I love a challenge with this battle system, but they're really pushing my sanity by having to redo multiple hard battles just to have another attempt at the round that killed me. For this one in particular, I'm not sure how you're ever supposed to do it without a strategy that feels broken. I must have tried the final round 10 times before I had enough luck to put the boss into a constant stun/interrupt lock that saw me win. It makes it feel like cheating rather than skill, but you get absolutely destroyed if you *don't* do this.

I wanted to save a hard run until last thing for the platinum, but I need AP for some crucial materia for the solo challenges. Having tough but not sadistic fights again reminded me why I love this game in the first place.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Cannot stress how loud my sigh of relief was after beating Rulers of the Outer World.

I love a challenge with this battle system, but they're really pushing my sanity by having to redo multiple hard battles just to have another attempt at the round that killed me. For this one in particular, I'm not sure how you're ever supposed to do it without a strategy that feels broken. I must have tried the final round 10 times before I had enough luck to put the boss into a constant stun/interrupt lock that saw me win. It makes it feel like cheating rather than skill, but you get absolutely destroyed if you *don't* do this.

The "intended" way is to learn how to perfect parry every single shadowy chains, the boss otherwise isn't that threatening. But running through 9 fights just to get a few chances to learn and die in the process is too tedious not to cheese it.

Frakked

Jun 5, 2018
The "intended" way is to learn how to perfect parry every single shadowy chains, the boss otherwise isn't that threatening. But running through 9 fights just to get a few chances to learn and die in the process is too tedious not to cheese it.

I don't think I succeeded in parrying it once! :D Even cheesing it was tense because the battle is such a knife edge for success and failure.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Welp, I just finished the game...and this might be some honeymoon-period-ass recency bias talking but I think that's the best Final Fantasy I've ever played? Holy shit.

Ever since the end of the PS1 era it's felt like Final Fantasy has had to make different kinds of (understandable) concessions, like the ditching of the overworld in FFX, or "HD Towns are too hard" etc. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth isn't perfect but goddamn if it doesn't feel like the Final Fantasy game I've been waiting 20+ years for. I can't believe just how much this team managed to do with this game.

I can't fucking wait for Final Fantasy VII Resurrection (thought I'd take a stab at the title)

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
Welp, I just finished the game...and this might be some honeymoon-period-ass recency bias talking but I think that's the best Final Fantasy I've ever played? Holy shit.

Ever since the end of the PS1 era it's felt like Final Fantasy has had to make different kinds of (understandable) concessions, like the ditching of the overworld in FFX, or "HD Towns are too hard" etc. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth isn't perfect but goddamn if it doesn't feel like the Final Fantasy game I've been waiting 20+ years for. I can't believe just how much this team managed to do with this game.

I can't fucking wait for Final Fantasy VII Resurrection (thought I'd take a stab at the title)

Yeah, I felt exactly like you. Rebirth just feels like the PS1 FF games brought into the modern era. There are some kinks to iron out for sure but I love the game. I did everything there is to do and I am finishing up my hard mode run at 180 hours and still having a blast.

Definitely in my top 3 FFs.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed something about the secret summon
Gilgamesh's final attack is actually named Fantaisie Finale (literally Final Fantasy) in French, and I think it's the same in Japanese where it's just Final Fantasy as well.
I was surprised to look at English footage and see the name Ultimate Illusion pop up

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything you should do early on before you really start exploring?

I just unlocked Chcobos and Chadly, for example.

Rephil

Nov 16, 2017
Is there anything you should do early on before you really start exploring?

I just unlocked Chcobos and Chadly, for example.

I'd say exactly that, just meet Chadley. When I first started, I explored a big chunk of the Grasslands without having talked to him first, so I just ran into a bunch of suspicious landmarks I couldn't interact with, lol.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So far exploration is really fun. Everything feels such a huge step up from Remake. Even though this game has some familiar frustrations like forced slow walking, it's spaced out with so much free roaming exploration that I'm not finding it anywhere near as annoying.

Biggest downside so far is the hit to visuals. Shadows are much lower quality than they were in Remake. So much pop in. Very soft image in performance. And some janky movement over terrain.

Still, I'll happily deal with these things with all the upgrades to gameplay we get. Curious to see if the PC release fixes some of the above though.

I'd say exactly that, just meet Chadley. When I first started, I explored a big chunk of the Grasslands without having talked to him first, so I just ran into a bunch of suspicious landmarks I couldn't interact with, lol.
Exactly what I did lol. Just wanted to check I hadn't missed anything else. Ty!

Jan 20, 2018

I wanted to save a hard run until last thing for the platinum, but I need AP for some crucial materia for the solo challenges. Having tough but not sadistic fights again reminded me why I love this game in the first place.
I've been hard stuck on seventh seal for like a week. I've tried so many different builds(Aerith Lvl 2 Limit with Tifa rushdown) and (Aero/Quaga) and RNG just bends me over on Round 8/9 assuming I make it past Kid G.

Rephil

Nov 16, 2017
I've been hard stuck on seventh seal for like a week. I've tried so many different builds(Aerith Lvl 2 Limit with Tifa rushdown) and (Aero/Quaga) and RNG just bends me over on Round 8/9 assuming I make it past Kid G.

Seventh Seal is beyond brutal. I found it more frustrating (and less fun) than Rulers of the Outer Worlds or Bonds of Friendship (which I'm still working on). I got through it with an Aerith Blizzaga build. Cloud and Tifa as my other members, all 3 with Elemental + Fire on their armor slots. But I spent a long time maxing out most of my materia for any strategy to work, lol.

The big cactuars in round 9 are beyond awful. You can try using Synergy Skills to teleport your allies away from needle range to avoid bigger damage, but it's a very hectic battle. Need to capitalize on the pressure moments before Needle Rain activates to guarantee a stagger and a then a kill. Lots of frustrating resource management to consider so you don't waste big damage opportunities.

I also used Limit Siphon quite a bit. Cloud with the lvl 3 Limit Accessory + Limit Siphon to get in big damage/stagger in hectic moments saved me multiple times.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I did such an overwhelming amount of stuff in my first playthrough that at least for now I'm going to go forward and try for the platinum. Have nearly all the Johnny stuff done already because I'm a psychopath, so focusing on the handful of remaining colosseum matches and hard Chadley missions for now.

Having to fully back out of both menus to make adjustments is frustrating enough but I swear dude the fact that there's a "loadout" menu for party selection but not materia is going to turn me into the Joker

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I'll be able to replay Remake again after experiencing this battle system. Would feel so restricted now.

Jan 20, 2018
Seventh Seal is beyond brutal. I found it more frustrating (and less fun) than Rulers of the Outer Worlds or Bonds of Friendship (which I'm still working on). I got through it with an Aerith Blizzaga build. Cloud and Tifa as my other members, all 3 with Elemental + Fire on their armor slots. But I spent a long time maxing out most of my materia for any strategy to work, lol.

The big cactuars in round 9 are beyond awful. You can try using Synergy Skills to teleport your allies away from needle range to avoid bigger damage, but it's a very hectic battle. Need to capitalize on the pressure moments before Needle Rain activates to guarantee a stagger and a then a kill. Lots of frustrating resource management to consider so you don't waste big damage opportunities.

I also used Limit Siphon quite a bit. Cloud with the lvl 3 Limit Accessory + Limit Siphon to get in big damage/stagger in hectic moments saved me multiple times.
Yeah I have just about every materia maxed except Gambler. And I have the Genji Gloves and Earrings. I'm just getting worked every time I have a good run. Dodging the Gigaworm eating my team members and trying to not have Aerith die to the death claw cause his gap closer is insufferable. I underestimated the Gigantuars.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
The whole deal with the constant materia juggling in hard mode and general endgame stuff needs to be fixed for part 3…

It is exhausting to change materia all the time and do it for 7 characters. Cant imagine 8. It is too much micromanagement.

Last edited:

Frakked

Jun 5, 2018

This one was dreadful too. The optinoob YouTube build got me through it, but it still required an element of luck.

speiky

"This guy are sick" says the Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure I'll be able to replay Remake again after experiencing this battle system. Would feel so restricted now.
It really does.
Like someone else mentioned, everything in Rebirth feels like a step up.
How can they possibly top this in part 3?
Rebirth will be Empire…?!

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Got no damage on Terror too. I think I'm done for now as I want to see how VR challenges are but honestly the AI is half decent at playing defense if they only need to precision guard/dodge one thing or at most two. No damage across the board is probably quite doable.

It really does.
Like someone else mentioned, everything in Rebirth feels like a step up.
How can they possibly top this in part 3?
Rebirth will be Empire…?!

There is a bit of tweaking they can do player side. There are weaker synergy skills and abilities that can be improved a bit. Offensive synergy skills in general can use a bit more utility. Defensive synergy skills are in a better spot but a little more variety would be good (3 similar dodge counters, 2 iron defenses, and 2 bodyguards isn't a lot of variety). Synergy abilities really need a second pass. Of the 4 add-on effects, stagger buff effect really needs to be improved as there is no reason to use it for stagger phase at all right now as it's a net loss in damage to occupy two characters that way. For synergy abilities in general they can use a second pass as I don't think they properly accounted for startup and duration of these abilities along with damage output and assigned effects.

Summons really need to be changed in my opinion. Summon countdown starting at first stagger and ultimate being timed after being summoned are both severe limitations now. Even the up front cost of summons is fairly prohibitive as you can get so much mileage for each bar of ATB now. I can't think of a situation where it's worthwhile to summon and I don't think longer fights would be a fix either. Perhaps having summons use synergy instead of ATB for their skills might help too as it's fairly common for the main character in a party to have a surplus of synergy that gets wasted right now.

I think there are a lot of improvements that they work in for encounter design and enemy design though. Remake had better player system/encounter design balance. Rebirth's player side power creep is significant and enemy/encounter design didn't get enough to really handle all the new additions. Unblockables help a bit but isn't really sufficient. Hopefully enemies in general will be more liberal with buffs and debuffs so that there is another outlet for ATB as ATB is extremely efficient now and when that resource isn't being pulled away by defensive options/dispel things just get snowballed to death immediately. Enemy movesets in general can really use some improvements so that weapon ability and synergy skill dodges aren't just free get out of jail cards. Attacks with longer active frames or persistant attacks would help a bit there (the only one that is just impossible to account for within the current system is brumal form).

If they add additional mechanics I think smoothing out party interactions would probably benefit the overall systems more. As far as mechanics for currently active members I think there is enough there.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am in that post FF7 Rebirth period where I don't know what to do. What a hell of a game. Obviously it's not perfect, but I love so much about it. Even though it's huge I'll probably go back to it in a year or two (would be a great excuse to boot it after getting a Pro)
Also, I can't believe this but I played almost the whole thing on resolution mode and it was excellent. Honestly feel it was the superior mode in this game. Super crisp details and I literally didn't even notice the framerate after a minute or two. It's unbelievable how fast your eyes/mind can adapt to a nice stable 30fps (esp with good motion blur).