Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Total newb here who's only dabbled with emulation on a 3DS (good, but pretty terrible UI, clunky.)

What's a good option for a Mac owner (and doesn't want to dualboot Windows) that's hoping to play DS/PS1 games? Up to PS2/GCN would be a perk.

There's a gulf between PS1 and PS2. Every cheap device plays PS1. How important is PS2 to you? How important is DS (since that requires a touchscreen or a willingness to severely compromise)?

Your computer OS doesn't matter. If you know how to copy files onto an SD card, you're good.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
There's a gulf between PS1 and PS2. Every cheap device plays PS1. How important is PS2 to you? How important is DS (since that requires a touchscreen or a willingness to severely compromise)?

Your computer OS doesn't matter. If you know how to copy files onto an SD card, you're good.
Ok if it's all mainly just SD cards I'm dealing with, great. Should I just grab an Anbernic and a carton of smokes and hit the road? Or are there better systems than that for beginners/hobbyist not looking to dive too deep into the hobby? The touch screen and PS2 are nice-to-haves but not necessities.

I realize how out of my element I sound. I guess I'm just looking for a reliable guide, like Good, Better, Best on the current market for these types of systems.

edit: Ok just clicked the link in the OP; exactly what i was looking for. Nevermind me! Thank you!

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Ok if it's all mainly just SD cards I'm dealing with, the touch screen and PS2 are nice-to-haves. What can run those? Otherwise should I just grab an Anbernic and a carton of smokes and hit the road? Or are there better systems out there.

I realize how out of my element I sound. I guess I'm just looking for a reliable guide, like Good, Better, Best on the current market for these types of systems.

Here's what I reckon

Up to PS1, 4:3 screens with Linux OS: Miyoo Mini+ (vertical) or Anbernic RG35XXH (horizontal, and can also manage DC and PSP)
Up to PS2, 16:9 touchscreens with Android: Retroid Pocket 4 or AYN Odin 2
Ivory backscratcher tier: Steam Deck

But I might be a bit out of date with that middle tier. Stuff keeps coming out and I don't take much interest as they're a bit too big and expensive for me. And a Deck may be overkill, but I'd definitely love one.

Wigsy

Apr 5, 2022
Here's what I reckon

Up to PS1, 4:3 screens with Linux OS: Miyoo Mini+ (vertical) or Anbernic RG35XXH (horizontal, and can also manage DC and PSP)
Up to PS2, 16:9 touchscreens with Android: Retroid Pocket 4 or AYN Odin 2
Ivory backscratcher tier: Steam Deck

But I might be a bit out of date with that middle tier. Stuff keeps coming out and I don't take much interest as they're a bit too big and expensive for me. And a Deck may be overkill, but I'd definitely love one.

I'd second these recommendations.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
RG35XXH has a cardinal direction snap issue on the sticks, and a big dead zone. I haven't used one, just seen videos on it. Just thought anyone considering buying one should be aware.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
RG35XXH has a cardinal direction snap issue on the sticks, and a big dead zone. I haven't used one, just seen videos on it. Just thought anyone considering buying one should be aware.

Yeah not sure why so few pointed this out.
The moment I tried them I was Ike "wait, this things aren't analog sticks, they are just digital in disguise". Then tried the diagnostics and they really are proper analog sticks but something at kernel level (so I read) is limiting them to 8 directions.

Not sure if this only happens with the stock FW though, have yet to try Batocera on it.

Btw, stock FW just received an update few days ago including a number of new RA cores (C64, Amiga etc) and fixes and it has been working alright.

I'm hesitant to switch to a CFW because stock has this super convenient feature for vertical arcade games, allowing you to play them holding the thing sideways and automatically mapping controls accordingly, which I think no other OS does out if the box?

Icy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah not sure why so few pointed this out.
The moment I tried them I was Ike "wait, this things aren't analog sticks, they are just digital in disguise". Then tried the diagnostics and they really are proper analog sticks but something at kernel level (so I read) is limiting them to 8 directions.

Not sure if this only happens with the stock FW though, have yet to try Batocera on it.
This affects all CFWs as well, and it's not something that will likely be fixable. Something about it at the kernel level, and it may actually not be addressable even by Anbernic? Just stuff I've gathered from reading on these retro handheld Discord servers.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
Full device revealed:

4c9242996435a23dfbccccd8e34cb33.png

What the fuck?!

They finally straight up recreate the Vita's shape and still refuse to adopt symmetrical sticks. Just twisting the knife at this point.

Man I got bigger problems in my life, but this stings.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018

Yeah, I don't recommend it for 3d games until it is fixed (I don't think it would ever be fixed, but there's a possibility Anbernic listens to us…

Gong

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, I guess I'll just pick the SP up even if I don't need one.

I really wish there was a compact, premium 4:3 device that can handle sixth gen games (already have the RG450m) with an Analogue Pocket-level screen. I wouldn't mind paying $3-400 for something like that.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling the SP is going to be a big seller, that's nearly the same price as the Miyoo Mini Plus for a device with a nostalgic form factor that will travel better than most due to the clamshell. It's already out of stock on AliExpress US.

Also Russ/Retro Game Corps seems to love it, that's an important endorsement.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I hope someone releases a clamshell that's a little wider, like DS-sized. It can keep the 4:3 screen or even do 3:2. I just have long lanky fingers that can't do those small-width devices, which is why I have to have the RG35xx-H instead.

I honestly wish they would have just left out the joysticks. The Plus and the SP don't have it. I love my -H, but the joystick is in-the-way when you're using the dpad, and it's so far in the bottom-left corner that it's super uncomfortable to use without some sort of 3rd-party grip.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
It's already out of stock on AliExpress US.
I don't think it's actually out of stock, I think it just has yet to be in stock. Ali doesn't have like a pre-order/coming soon state as far as I've ever seen, so a lot of times these preview listings just say they're sold out. The sales & reviews on this so far seem to be for the 35XX H, so it also might be a modified product listing too.

The CPU being exposed directly beneath the battery like that is really weird. Gives me a little pause.
I'm not going to claim it's a great design, but it's not uncommon -- the RGB30, 35XX H, and RG Nano are all this way, as examples I can name off-the-cuff without having to double-check and verify the internals lol. From what I understand these SOCs don't produce enough heat for it to really be a problem.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If Garlic 2.0 or whatever eventually makes its way to the new 35XX line, then I'll grab an SP and roll with the H and the SP. Probably would give away my MM+ at that point.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sony engineers when they try to understand how it has L1/R1 AND L2/R2 buttons

giphy.gif

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully they can keep thermals in check shrinking things down. I'm also interested to see how much battery they can fit in something the size of the Vita.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
What the fuck?!

They finally straight up recreate the Vita's shape and still refuse to adopt symmetrical sticks. Just twisting the knife at this point.

Man I got bigger problems in my life, but this stings.
That device is aiming PS2 / GCN / Wii emulation if it has Odin 2 specs, so very happy that it uses the set up that is more ergonomic for left stick usage.