DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
Carlos López Estrada has been enlisted by Paramount, Bad Robot and Toho to rewrite and direct the sci-fi anime live action remake "Your Name." The film is currently in development and is based on the the 2016 animated romantic fantasy drama, considered to be a modern classic in Japan.
López Estrada is writing the current script. The initial version was written by Academy Award-nominated screenwriter Eric Heisserer, who is best known for his work on "Arrival" and "Bird Box." Bad Robot's J.J. Abrams will produce the film alongside Hannah Minghella and Jon Cohen, with Genki Kawamura, who produced the original. "Your Name" was a staggering hit in Japan, grossing over $230 million in that country alone.
In this re-imagined version, two teenagers discover they are magically and intermittently swapping bodies. When a disaster threatens to upend their lives, they must journey to meet and save their worlds. Toho will handle distribution of the film in Japan; Paramount will release the picture in the U.S. and all other international territories.
variety.com

‘Raya and the Last Dragon’ Director Carlos López Estrada Boards Paramount and Bad Robot’s ‘Your Name’ Remake (EXCLUSIVE)

Carlos López Estrada, the director of "Blindspotting" and "Raya and the Last Dragon," will direct and rewrite the script for the anime remake, "Your Name."

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Neat! This guy also directed Blindspotting, which was amazing. I know Your Name is a daunting task to adapt, but he's a very talented filmmaker. It could turn out well.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Your Name was pretty mediocre. Hopefully this remake is an improvement.

commando-arnold.gif

jml

Mar 9, 2018
This is an honest question: has there ever been a live action adaptation of an anime that was actually embraced & well-liked by fans of the original? I can't think of anything off the top of my head but it's definitely possible I'm not familiar enough.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
As someone who only just got around to seeing it recently, the original is in my top 10 of the year. Incredible film.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
This is an honest question: has there ever been a live action adaptation of an anime that was actually embraced & well-liked by fans of the original? I can't think of anything off the top of my head but it's definitely possible I'm not familiar enough.

The Rurouni Kenshin movies. No one talks about that franchise anymore because the author is a pedophile, though.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
This is an honest question: has there ever been a live action adaptation of an anime that was actually embraced by fans of the original? I can't think of anything off the top of my head but it's definitely possible I'm not familiar enough.
I think Rorouni Kenshin did, which is unfortunate given the later discovery about the author. I think the Space Battleship Yamato live-action movie was pretty decent too but I don't know what the general reception was like.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon seemed pretty (sorry) good too, but again I don't know how it was received by the wider fanbase.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
People. Just ignore the movie if you're not interested in it. Every time you spend energy wishing it wouldn't exist or saying how bad everything is going, you just end up giving it the attention you don't want it to.

The worst thing a movie or show can have is apathy.

Your name is really special, please don't ruin it

This movie's production will not alter the original or cause it to not exist. So there's no way the original can be ruined.

Just ignore this. It's that easy if you're not interested people. You'll live happier lives. Trust me, I did that with the A:TLA movie when it was in theaters. I was all the better for it.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
In this re-imagined version, two teenagers discover they are magically and intermittently swapping bodies. When a disaster threatens to upend their lives, they must journey to meet and save their worlds. Toho will handle distribution of the film in Japan; Paramount will release the picture in the U.S. and all other international territories.

Was there body swapping in the cartoon?
I only remember magic long distance cell phones and chugging a jar of saliva to solve everything.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The problem with the adaptation is not that it'll be live action, the story could easily work in live action, it's that certain parts of the plot are really unique to Japan and it'd be incredibly difficult to swap them into another country without making things problematic or uncomfortable.

Like if they can pull it off that'd be fantastic but the original idea for how to set it in America that went around seemed like it was a host of land mines.