BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how I didn't realise that Zack Snyder has a lot more director cuts than the average director. His director cuts are always better films and they tend to be my preferred versions.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i appreciate how pragmatic the man comes off in this. i think i just gained a lot of respect for him

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
is it just me or is he admitting to making bad versions of his movies in the editing room in hopes that he'll get paid to make the "real version"

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Banned
Jan 5, 2020
You all like my posts now but if you pay me money I will release the director cuts to my posts which are even better. Venmo or PayPal?

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
is it just me or is he admitting to making bad versions of his movies in the editing room in hopes that he'll get paid to make the "real version"

To be fair to him:

* it doesn't necessarily need to be bad versions for this to still be lucrative, look at the LOTR films they're still good movies extended edition or not, the extended cuts just give you more if you're into them and still moves more copies of the product.

* I don't personally know what deals Zack has arranged, but the director rarely gets to cut the actual version they want to send the theaters anyways. Maybe the studio's all gave him final say on every single film (I doubt it), but there's always going to be stuff otherwise that studio heads and people above him who manage the money/distribution are going to say no to for theatrical release to get the film length or film costs down.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
So not about artistic intention, or anything meaningful just...."I can help you sell the same movie twice for a bit more money". I see why he still gets work. He speaks their language without pretension.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I didn't take that away at all. He referred to the extended ones as the "weirdo" but he does need money for the people that do the effects, sound, etc. The extended version of Watchmen is a perfect example - it's longer, with cartoon interludes. It's not the way most people would want to watch it, but it is "more".

- not a Snyder fan in the modern sense.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Plenty of things to criticize about Zack Snyder's techniques as a storyteller and filmmaker but this particular point is just entirely reasonable.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
So not about artistic intention, or anything meaningful just...."I can help you sell the same movie twice for a bit more money". I see why he still gets work. He speaks their language without pretension.

It's one of the reasons, he also stays on budget, delivers films timely, and has an excellent rapport with his actors. People genuinely like to work with him.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I didn't take that away at all. He referred to the extended ones as the "weirdo" but he does need money for the people that do the effects, sound, etc. The extended version of Watchmen is a perfect example - it's longer, with cartoon interludes. It's not the way most people would want to watch it, but it is "more".

- not a Snyder fan in the modern sense.
To be fair the cartoon was made and released at the same time as the movie. The Ultimate Cut only cut them in where they appeared in the comic, but it did already exist.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That is some Mafia shit "be a real shame if the audio mix is off in the theater"

Director-Christopher-Nola-001.jpg

MyDudeMango

Jul 17, 2021
Canada
It's pretty smart, to be quite honest. Rather than fighting fiercely over the theatrical edit, spinning it as a money-making opportunity on the home video sales to let him put out his director's cut to get people to double-dip. Definitely a pragmatic way to look at it, and good for him for getting his vision out there tbh. Love it or hate it, and I'm ambivalent about his films personally, you can't say the guy isn't true to himself artistically.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
barbie-movie-snyder-cut-joke.jpeg

I feel like I've been in a dream where I was really invested in the Zack Snyder Cut of Justice League

Oct 27, 2017
I LITERALLY said this in one of the Rebel Moon threads and people doubted me! I sounds like he realizes he can push for a toned down version and a DC, and get slightly more money, than if he tried pushing for his original vision from the start

Oct 27, 2017
I LITERALLY said this in one of the Rebel Moon threads and people doubted me! I sounds like he realizes he can push for a toned down version and a DC, and get slightly more money, than if he tried pushing for his original vision from the start
Not what he's saying at all. Lol. He clearly says that he does what the studio mandates for release and then wants to be able to release and sell a version that has all the extras. Not really that dissimilar to a game releasing and then 6-12 months later releasing a GOTY, Definitive Edition, ect with all the extras and DLC. Would either of you say that a game was made into a "bad version" at release in order to make a "definitive" edition later?

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Not to mention - minus 1 or 2 - all of his films have generated a profit.
I got into an argument in the rogue squadron thread last weekend about why he keeps getting green lit. This is literally why. Dude makes movies, some good some bad, that consistently make money. If he didn't he would quit getting budget.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
Here's my thing though, how the fuck did the "the SnyderCut is already finished, WB just has a locked in vault" narrative take shape?

I vividly remember even Jason Mamoa egging people on with that story.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Is the directors cut of watchmen actually better than the theatrical?

Yes, the Ultimate Cut (which includes the Tales of the Black Freighter cartoon cut in with the movie ala the graphic novel) is also better than the theatrical.

Still worse than the graphic novel, mind, but it's better than the theatrical.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm almost jealous, I need to figure out a way to scam people into giving me money twice for the garbage I put out.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair the cartoon was made and released at the same time as the movie. The Ultimate Cut only cut them in where they appeared in the comic, but it did already exist.

True, that's what I mean by it being a "weirdo" version of the same thing. He was pretty straightforward in saying that with the budget for this one, Netflix wanted a PG-13 version to lead. I don't think it's malice or greed, is all.

Disclaimer: I love alternate cuts and remixed songs as long as the originals are still available. Also waiting on Rebel Moon to watch the "real" one and then see what is different the other way around.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
After (sorta) watching Rogue Moon I can only envision that his Director's Cut of it would entail adding slo-mo to every scene that doesn't already have it.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my thing though, how the fuck did the "the SnyderCut is already finished, WB just has a locked in vault" narrative take shape?

I vividly remember even Jason Mamoa egging people on with that story.
Momoa most likely saw the assembly or rough cut, not the four hour DC, which materialized later after WB/HBO initiated talks.

I'm almost jealous, I need to figure out a way to scam people into giving me money twice for the garbage I put out.
Snyder finished the DC of JL without getting paid. The VFX artists and various staff members did get paid though.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Banned
Jan 5, 2020
After (sorta) watching Rogue Moon I can only envision that his Director's Cut of it would entail adding slo-mo to every scene that doesn't already have it.

The whole thing is in slo-mo. That's why it takes so long! Wait until the ultimate super deluxe cut which even has the credits slow.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Momoa most likely saw the assembly or rough cut, not the four hour DC, which materialized later after WB initiated talks.

Snyder finished the DC of JL without getting paid. The VFX artists and various staff members did get paid though.
He got paid in exposure, which everyone knows is the most valuable currency of all :)

/s

Soj

Oct 27, 2017

All I hear is that he was going out of his way to make an additional profit for the studio.

The hate you all have in your hearts for this man is just staggering.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
All I hear is that he was going out of his way to make an additional profit for the studio.

The hate you all have in your hearts for this man is just staggering.

Especially since his only crime is *checks notes* making some movies people don't like in a way they don't like, and saying he likes one book for one particular reason by a shitty author who has bad views that aren't the reason he likes the book.

Meanwhile he's a director who people genuinely love working with, defended his actors who were getting fucked over by WB, is staunchly a leftist, and best as we know (again, going off the people actually love to work with him) isn't a sex pest.

But WOO TOM CRUISE BABY. -_-

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I got into an argument in the rogue squadron thread last weekend about why he keeps getting green lit. This is literally why. Dude makes movies, some good some bad, that consistently make money. If he didn't he would quit getting budget.
Yup, only movie he's been involved with that had a loss was WW84, Sucker Punch was his worst and that broke even more or less.

Feb 16, 2022
This reads more like "if you give me the time and budget, I'll shoot so much stuff during filming that the actual version of the movie I want will be the weirdo cut", and less like "if you give me more money I'll do two different cuts of the movie".