• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Announced at Worlds 2023

What's Rush Duel you ask?

Rush Duels are a currently japan exclusive way to experience the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game introduced in 2020. Largely inspired by the success of "Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links", and completely separate to the main game.

To drive the point home that this format is completely separate from the main game, the cards for Rush Duel Format have their own unique, modernized layout, as shown below:

SevensRoadMagician-JP-Anime-SV.png
s-l1200.jpg
latest

And while the cards might look drastically different, they're still just a regular monsters and spells and they functions exactly the same as any other card in the Advanced format.

The point where Rush and Master Duels are different is in the ruleset. Rush Duels are intended to be a faster paced reboot of the original TCG that keeps the simplicity of the first few years of YGO TCG in terms of effect complexity, while also encouraging the players to use all their available cards in hand in a single turn.

The Rules for the Rush Duel Format are as follows:

• Players can Normal Summon as many monsters from their hand as they want in a single turn. Level 5 and higher monsters must still be Tribute Summoned normally.

• At the beginning of the turn the player draws cards until their hand is holding five cards.

• Like the game "Duel Links" only 3 Monster Zones and 3 Spell and Trap card Zones are available, no Extra Monster Zone or Pendulum Zones exist in this format.

• Additionally the only Extra deck mechanic in Rush Duel is Fusion Summon. With the added restriction that Fusions can only be done using cards on the field (You can no longer fuse cards in your hand)

• A new Rush format exclusive mechanic called "Maximum Summon" is available, by having the 3 pieces of a Maximum Monster in your hand, you can summon them as one single superpowered monster that takes up all your monster zones, this monster will have a MAXIMUM ATK value and access to the individual effects of its pieces.

do-you-think-that-maximum-summon-from-rush-duel-could-be-v0-gbpzw58jnwbb1.jpg

TheLadiesThree-800x408.jpg

ThePrimordialHades-800x408.webp
  • Only cards produced for Rush Duel products will be legal in Rush Duels, you may not use classic cards unless they have been printed with the new layout so for example to use "Blue-Eyes White Dragon" you must use it's new Rush version only.

• In a first for YGO Rush Duel cards have "out of frame" artwork called Over Rush Rares.
orp1-jp021orr_444x.jpg
BlueEyesWhiteDragon-RDORP1-JP-ORR.png
SevensRoadMagician-RDORP1-JP-ORR.png

That sounds AWESOME, wait WTF why is it not available outside of Asia!?

Cause Konami gonna Konami, but hey this wide release in duel links might finally be the push needed for an international release...3 years after the fact

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Smart idea. Players have been saying for a while that the game needs some kind of "reset" so that new players can jump on the game or bring old players back. Making a spin-off that effectively does this and brings simplified mechanics sounds like a recipe for success.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't notice this was the gaming side and thought this was coming to the west in physical form, my disappointment is immeasurable.

Still something could come from this.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Would actually download this, been waiting for more Rush love outside of the Nintendo Switch game.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wanted to try this format through that Switch game but the less-than-stellar reviews for it put me off.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of Rush Duels because the main puzzle is figuring out how to dump your entire hand every turn and that's very unique compared to the other formats.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Was kinda hoping the announcement would be some evolution of mechanics for the main game. Like a new type of extra deck cards, or Link-0 monsters or something.

Haven't really heard much phrase for alternative game types.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seeing Yuga standing next to Yugi is always gonna feel weird.

Though major props to Yuga dude is a top tier protagonist.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't tried Rush Duels, but I do really like the modernized look of those cards. Yu-Gi-Oh cards have their charm for sure but they could absolutely do with updating to make things more clear. But I think it's too late at this point.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Luke could beat Yami. You know it to be true. You know it to be true.

(There's a reason I said it twice)

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know anything about Yu-Gi-Oh any more but maximum summons look sick as hell.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
neat
i have no idea what state the actual format is in or what the meta is for it. I do like the general idea of the rush format though and i think, at least what i think its going for, is to be a bit powered down compared to the main game but it allows for crazy swings in momenteum both ways, kind of like how the anime portrays yugioh to be

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
IIRC the meta actually has a pretty powerful deck known as Executie that's dominating, and the format has had sort of centralized archetypes like Spellcasters and Dragons..

I imagine Links is gonna begin with the earlier sets (probably won't get Maximum, Fusion, or Equips for a few months?) where Spellcasters and Dragon's kind of ruled. Or atleast that's my impression from the Rush Switch game where the cardpool is probably what this game will begin with more or less.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't the DragonBall card game also just launch a new separate format? Is it good for the playerbase to have two simultaneous formats running? Though maybe this is a bit different since the cards themselves are different and it's not just a ruleset change (though maybe that's worse?)

Does sound cool either way.

e: Wait this has been running for a few years. What was announced then 🫣

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't the DragonBall card game also just launch a new separate format? Is it good for the playerbase to have two simultaneous formats running? Though maybe this is a bit different since the cards themselves are different and it's not just a ruleset change (though maybe that's worse?)

The idea of Rush is kind of a pipeline, younger kids get into Rush with an anime and move up into the OCG where they become miserable adults.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
The Maximum Summons are appealing to my childlike brain I can't lie.
Their appearances in the anime were cool, though Fusions overshadow Maximum in the first Sevens anime, but in the sequel that is also a prequel but also a midquel, Maximum comes back with a force and seems to be overshadowing Fusions now.

Yuga's(the main hero of the first Rush Duel anime) even had a cool Maximum monster before Fusion overtook everything in his series:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NglZs_U2cD8

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Great news. I'll try this out, as regular-ass YGO is something no regular human being can possibly get into nowadays without dedicating their existence to learning all of the pilled-up bullshit.

LordBaztion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
As an avid DL player, I'm entitling uninterested by this.
Sadly, this will likely split konamis support between the two formats, leaving less updates to speed duels but, with the game quickly catching up master duel, a slowdown would be nice.
I just how they don't split the gems pool, so I can ignore rush duel.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What is 'SEVENS', and is that the announcement? If Rush Duel and its cards have been out in Asia for a few years, and it's not being localized at the moment, I'm assuming that's not the new thing?

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
What is 'SEVENS', and is that the announcement? If Rush Duel and its cards have been out in Asia for a few years, and it's not being localized at the moment, I'm assuming that's not the new thing?
Sevens is the 7th YGO anime series that aired from 2020 to 2022, right now, we have it's sequel/prequel/midquel on air.

Both series a bit divisive for being entirely about Rush Duels.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

e: Wait this has been running for a few years. What was announced then 🫣

What was announced was it's inclusion in the Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links game as this year's expansion.

Making it the second time RUSH stuff has an international release through games

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What was announced was it's inclusion in the Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links game as this year's expansion.

Making it the second time RUSH stuff has an international release through games
Oh sorry, that's pretty clear from the title, I must have missed the duel links. But that answers it so thanks.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rush Duel is a whole new world. We're dueling against dogs and chupacabras now, people are getting turned into furniture, there's an archetype dedicated to people involved in the JFK assassination as snails.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So looking it over they usually put in about...15 characters per series?

Obviously Yuga, Luke, Romin, and Gakuto I imagine will be the initial roster since they're the main cast.

Then Roa, Neil, and Asana were commonly considered "main characters" by merchandise I recall such as Structure Decks. Probably get Maximums with Neil entering.

Mimi Atachi was a pretty major supporting character throughout so she probably has a spot. Same with Tiger.

Otes and Yuga Goha as the villain slots.

I don't think we'll see all the other five Goha Siblings, but I think we'll get Yuo and Yuka as they got multiple Duels. Yuo of course will introduce Fusions.

And it's at this point I remember Sevens has a huge cast and many of them got multiple Duels and had most of their tool kit introduced. I'm actually spoiled for choices...

And THEN there's the fact that if they don't introduce someone, when Go Rush is added in many characters there are counterparts to the Sevens cast and could easily use their cards as well as their own.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also the plot of Duel Links usually like post-series stuff? Sevens is pretty interesting in that regard...could do some fun stuff with that.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It will be interesting to see how they handle supporting what's essentially two games in one.

Ideally both should get expansions at the same rate

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess since it's different modes we won't see any of the Master Format characters meet the Sevens cast...

It'd be pretty cool to see some of the DM cast in Rush tbh. I mean they've got plenty of legacy cards.

TheMerv

Jan 1, 2022
There's something very funny about the fact that this simpler format was inspired by Duel Links but is now coming to Duel Links after many years of power creep. If they had added Rush Duels earlier it would've been cool but a little redundant but now it'll be a breath of fresh air.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A few additionions to the OP, I'd mention a big draw perhaps is there's no chains or timing...the requirement and effect are clearly distinguished and activate simultaneously.

There's also so far no hand traps or cards that activate in the Grave, there's no cards that search through the Deck. Most cards interact with stats rather than specific names.

Also LEGENDS. Certain classic cards are marked as such. The old rule was you could only include ONE Legend card per deck, now it's one Monster, Spell, and Trap. Not sure what Duel Links will go with beginning out since it'll be using earlier cards at release probably.

Also there's yet to be a banned card.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So they've been gradually adding new characters over the years.

Wonder how much longer they'll still do this.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
That's really cool. I tried to get into master duel back when it launched and while I had fun they depth and complexity of the game now is too much for me. A return to simplicity is really cool. Hope this does well so we could get it over here. Would love to give it a try.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait do we know if they're gonna use the 1:1 Rush Duels or an simpler version of that?

Can't imagine them using the 20 Card Deck size that'd kind of ruin it.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wanted to try this format through that Switch game but the less-than-stellar reviews for it put me off.

Like if it ever goes on sell I'd recommend it.

The biggest issue is the card pool is really tiny...the Japanese version had a lot of DLC, but the US version never got it so you got the first two Maximums and that's it. No Fusions, and most of the cards are pretty simple so it's a little simplistic, like even simpler than like the GBA Yu-Gi-Oh titles at times.

Also you can't build your own deck till a bit into the game, and even then you need a cheat code...BUT this doesn't bother me too much as you get a decent amount of pre-made decks that cover most of the styles available, and oddly enough the earlier decks...Yuga's and Luke's...are some of the better ones. I'm not good at building my own decks so it wasn't a major downside.

It's a bit of a grind to get cards...though there's a cheat to get extra money but it requires changing your Switch clock around...and many cards are locked to the post game, including the more interesting ones. You can get them earlier by grinding against certain opponents but really for most of the game you're using Spellcasters or Dragons.

But the game is the closest to an old school Yu-Gi-Oh game with an exploration map, Duel Puzzles, a decent amount of characters from the show all fully voiced...it's a decent effort all in all but maybe not 60$ worth. The graphics are also sharp...the cards look really crisp and true to life, with zoomed in art and cut out monster displays...it's pretty similar to Links style so I think the Links version of Rush will re-use assets.

Also the online was dead like Day 2 and probably is deader now.

I'm honestly not sure how the Go Rush game turned out, barely heard anything about it...apparently it was a freemium game which kind of worries me? The best result would be they localize it as a full game with all the content but I doubt that...

Refrain

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Their appearances in the anime were cool, though Fusions overshadow Maximum in the first Sevens anime, but in the sequel that is also a prequel but also a midquel, Maximum comes back with a force and seems to be overshadowing Fusions now.

I'm sorry but can you please explain this for me? I watched the first series but I have always thought that the newest one is a sequel or at least in another universe or something. How can you have Rush Duel if it's a prequel?

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
I'm sorry but can you please explain this for me? I watched the first series but I have always thought that the newest one is a sequel or at least in another universe or something. How can you have Rush Duel if it's a prequel?
Basically:
The series is set in the time Yuga was missing in the ending when everyone didn't know what happened to him, turns out he and Otes were sent to the past, he gets captured by a villain and is forced to talk about Rush Duels leading to Rush Duels appearing decades before they should, something that worries Yuga.

Anyways, he manages to escape and during some time just went around talking to people and helping them, meeting Yugias and even giving him a duel disk and a bunch of card packs from the future he apparently had but just never felt like opening, all while in the background trying to stop the new villain and Otes.

So it's a sequel since the events are after Sevens, it's a mid-quel since it's about what happened to Yuga before he comes back in the last episode, and it's a prequel since it's set decades in the past and even Goha Corporation isn't as big as it will once be and there are some characters that seem to be the descendants of future characters.