tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, wall run. Hook me into my veins already!!

oh yeah, Adol with grapple. Seems like Japan is really into Grappling nowadays.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Watched the stream. The game looks basic, like VIII, but at least this time there's no loading screen at every corner, being a Ps4/no Vita game made possible to have more ambitious areas.

Not feeling the city that much though, too empty and boring-looking. The combat will be a lot of fun sure, but the movement animations look stiff and basic again.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Hm...not sure if I like areas being so massive, but bland. I know they make them huge as players have means to traverse around quickly, but I don't know. Same issue I had with KH3.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The traversal looks really fun. Especially with Adols grapple.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'm not that fond of how Falcom 3D games look tbh, they loo really cheap and have really bad animation work.

In Kiseki games it's not a big problem because you'll be reading and doing turn-based combat a lot (even so I prefer the graphic style in Sora/Zero/Ao than in the first 2 Sen games), but in fast-paced action games like Ys better animations and better graphical effects would make the game far more appealing IMO.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm not that fond of how Falcom 3D games look tbh, they loo really cheap and have really bad animation work.

In Kiseki games it's not a big problem because you'll be reading and doing turn-based combat a lot (even so I prefer the graphic style in Sora/Zero/Ao than in the first 2 Sen games), but in fast-paced action games like Ys better animations and better graphical effects would make the game far more appealing IMO.

Yeah that's how I feel also. It's like their graphics always look like HD PS3 nowadays.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mmmmm this looks sick. The main thing I didn't appreciate about Ys 8 was the setting of being stuck on a island. The same combat system and all in a normal medieval setting sounds excellent.

Hoping this comes to Switch/PC at some point

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Looks a lot like Ys 8 in a different setting. Which I'll gladly take.
It should be illegal to capture interlaced SD video for HD content in 2019.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Looks like they took a page out of Kingdom Hearts' book with that traversal/wall running. And that town looks HUGE. But this is Ys, so unlike say Dragon Quest or a more traditional JRPG, that may be the sole town in the entire game, which would explain why its so huge cause its not like they'll be 10 of them that size.

Oct 31, 2017
On one hand seems like a visual improvement over the previous titles. On the other, that's not saying much, Falcom still seems unable to move past the PS2 era with their technical know how and production value.

Jesus, I get the whole "indie, small team, low budget" and whatever you want to use as an excuse, but these days there are one-man projects that dwarf their games visually.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
question, how any people are working on this game? the full falcom dev team? how many of them?

also this engine, are they using their own engine?

Oct 27, 2017
Traversal looks great but the town looks really empty and boring. Hope that improves.

Also is that Adol? Seems he is wearing black clothes which almost always means "dark or corrupted character" in Japanese games. I am intrigued.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Feels like they made the city too big with too much space between buildings. Yes, they can add more live into it, but that's not the problem here.

Anyway, combat and traversal look solid, too bad it's the shortest clip out of those 3.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Well, graphically doesn't look that impressive as expected but the mechanics seem like a step forward similar to YsVIII.

Can't wait for this.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like its traversal took some notes from Kingdom Hearts 3. Shame the town looks boring though.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Comparisons to KHIII are kinda unfair. Falcom clearly doesn't have the same huge budget, amount of workers nor development time so there are going to be some cuts here and there for this kind of progress.

Plus, YsIX is most certainly going to be better than KHIII where really matters, the gameplay.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
question, how any people are working on this game? the full falcom dev team? how many of them?

For reference Ys8 was programmed by five people from memory, a more recent game, Sen no Kiseki III was programmed by six people. Then you have to remember that these are the same people that need to get out a game yearly. Falcom's full dev team is hard to say, we know the company at large is around 50 people (53 i think?) which entails everything from marketing to programming to accountancy.

Regarding the engine i am pretty certain this is PhyreEngine (the skyboxes give it away for me), which they have been using for Cold Steel already. Ys8 by comparison was their own developed engine called Yamaneko but that was held together with spit and desperation.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The verticality/movement options look great, the other games were mostly 2D in terms of gameplay despite being in 3D.

And yeah, the budget means these games always look a gen behind AAA stuff. but it's stll a step up for the series.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It looks a lot like an Attack on Titan game, with the same empty towns, fast traversal flight and fast paced combat.

According to Google Nihon Falcom has 151 employees, the team is about the size of the Monolith Soft of few years ago (that team made Xenoblade Chronicles X though which has a giant dense world)

So yes they don't have high budget for AAA modern games, but at the same time i think Falcom could throw in more animations (and more NPCs in that town)

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It looks a lot like an Attack on Titan game, with the same empty towns, fast traversal flight and fast paced combat.

According to Google Nihon Falcom has 151 employees, the team is about the size of the Monolith Soft of few years ago (that team made Xenoblade Chronicles X though which has a giant dense world)

So yes they don't have high budget for AAA modern games, but at the same time i think Falcom could throw in more animations (and more NPCs in that town)

That number is inaccurate. They're around 50 something people

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Comparisons to KHIII are kinda unfair. Falcom clearly doesn't have the same huge budget, amount of workers nor development time so there are going to be some cuts here and there for this kind of progress.

Plus, YsIX is most certainly going to be better than KHIII where really matters, the gameplay.
If only they don't ask for the same premium price of $60. So yes, the comparison is justified.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
that town area is too large at first glance. looks like typical open world padding. Ys towns were so much more fun when every resident had their unique personality and portrait.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Still looks like a Vita game, but i like that they use the better specs for a even bigger world and less loading times.
Should be fun.
Why don't they use unreal engine?
Changing the engine alone doesnt make a game look much better if you dont have the assets, textures and manpower to make it work.
Also the second they used something like the UE4 it would be compared to other games that use it. Its likely easier to them to just build up on the engine they are are familiar with - gotta remember we are talking about a dev so small that they arent even attempting multiplattform releases between Switch/PS4 in 2019 on games that look like they could run on Vita.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The wailing guitar while exploring an empty city with no combat...just placeholder right?

asheliaX

Feb 3, 2018
The Seychelles
Ys needs a graphical boost if it's ever going to break out of the niche. This looks fine, but it's certainly not the leap I was hoping for. It's not going to appeal to anyone who isn't already into Ys games. I don't know. Maybe I'm just being a little too pessimistic. I just don't see much ambition from this gameplay debut.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Ys needs a graphical boost if it's ever going to break out of the niche. This looks fine, but it's certainly not the leap I was hoping for. It's not going to appeal to anyone who isn't already into Ys games. I don't know. Maybe I'm just being a little too pessimistic. I just don't see much ambition from this gameplay debut.
Highly doubt graphics are really necessary to get out of the niche.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I'm impressed, they are really going for something different with those multiple traversal mechanics and that big city. As always with Ys, I'm in day one.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks wild after VIII's smaller size with loading screens. But I... certainly hope it's not large for the sake of being large.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
That free 3D movement, different abilities. This looks like what world seeker should have been. I'll bet they add at least one stealth mission.

Got a lot of potential here.