• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
It's against federal regulation to void a warranty for non-first party repair.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ne9qdq/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-illegal-ftc

"FTC staff has concerns about the companies' statements that consumers must use specified parts or service providers to keep their warranties intact. Unless warrantors provide the parts or services for free or receive a waiver from the FTC, such statements generally are prohibited by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a law that governs consumer product warranties."

He wasn't trying to repair it. He was intentionally destroying it for laughs.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's against federal regulation to void a warranty for non-first party repair.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ne9qdq/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-illegal-ftc

"FTC staff has concerns about the companies' statements that consumers must use specified parts or service providers to keep their warranties intact. Unless warrantors provide the parts or services for free or receive a waiver from the FTC, such statements generally are prohibited by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a law that governs consumer product warranties."
OK, he broke every major component apart from the chassis it came in. This isn't a manufacturing defect or a simple faulty part.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
This is a $5000 machine. What if you bought a car and had an accident*. Ford/Toyota say they won't fix the car and your only opton was buying another car. What then?

*(maybe you were hit by someone else or maybe your were on your phone, doesn't matter).
That happens thousands of times a day. It is called totaling.

Shuri

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. If Linus is ignorant to these details, he should not be doing this type of work. The entire thing just makes him look weak and naive to me. Maybe he should take apart an old $50 iMac from eBay/Craigslist if the current iMac hardware is causing him financial issues to experiment with. These guys should not be playing around with electrical components if they can't understand simple concepts.
Linus has shown over and over again in his own videos how he is not a super technical person. He knows the basics, and he's a great communicator, but that's about it.

But then again, in the video, it's that other dude who took it apart and destroyed SEVERAL internal components.

I could understand being angry if it was a scratch on the monitor..

As another poster said, the apple tech took a look at it and probably decided it was not economically viable to swap out basically every component.

Also someone noticed that in the emails, the T.O.S of the basic warranty mentions that Apple can decide not to service a product that has been altered by an unauthorized person, they can decide to refuse servicing the unit.

Linus didn't even bother getting a warranty on a $5000 product. How is is Apple's fault that Linus' operation is amateurish and sloppy? I remember that episode about building a NAS where he was giving advises and all that until they revealed that their own entire backup and storage system was super terrible.

Oct 27, 2017
Almost everything is soldered to the motherboard to fit that kind of form factor, the cooling is engineered in such a way that the chassis also acts as a heatsink.

If you want an upgrade-able, user repairable unit buy a PC workstation.

Yes if you want something that you can easily keep working long term (buying parts and repairing either through a vendor or at home) you should avoid Apple. I agree.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Again, the point is that Apple currently cannot fix ANYONE'S machine, no matter the problem. So, if the warranty naturally expires and the motherboard happens to fail, it seems that Apple can't do a thing for you.

The video straight up states that the reason the apple store declined to service it is because they can't get the parts, NOT because of warranty.

The reason third party techs can't touch it is because Apple hasn't provided training manuals and certification for this model, and if they try to fix it anyway, they lose all Apple-related certification, NOT because of warranty.
You're going on Linus' word that all iMac Pros are completely unfixable. Also this is all supposedly currently: it'll be over six months before anyone's machines are actually out of warranty.

Oct 25, 2017
Again, the point is that Apple currently cannot fix ANYONE'S machine, no matter the problem. So, if the warranty naturally expires and the motherboard happens to fail, it seems that Apple can't do a thing for you.

The video straight up states that the reason the apple store declined to service it is because they can't get the parts, NOT because of warranty.

The reason third party techs can't touch it is because Apple hasn't provided training manuals and certification for this model, and if they try to fix it anyway, they lose all Apple-related certification, NOT because of warranty.

Also, as I've stated before, if the issue was simply "out of warranty" for Linus, why would Apple support try to help him before they realized they don't actually have a support structure in place?

If voided warranty was the issue, they would have said "NO" outright.

If you're still here, how about fixing the opening post so less people come into this thread confused

If Apple really wanted to give the parts out they would. It's likely something triggered approval for the parts as indicated by someone in this thread and in the video.
Apple support in a store is going to do what they can to try and help people. The people you see on the floor are not the same people doing the repairs on the machine. If there was a high enough queue it could explain why it took time for them to get through and verify repair or not on the machine.

Apple has some of the best customer service and success with hardware repairs. I don't know why y'all are falling for this shitty video trying to slam their warranty & repairs service.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Sorry, but I'm with Apple on this one (never in my life thought I'd say those words). He took it apart and destroyed it in the process.

Microsoft is the same way with their Surface Book. If you disassemble / destroy the screen, they will not repair it at all. I know......

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
If the repair cost is at that point I think it's completely fine for Apple not to offer it. There's no good reason for the consumer to take it over a full price replacement and it's a waste of Apple's service staff's time. If something is beyond repair, it's just that*.

*again I will say Apple's threshold for beyond repair is getting thinner as their products do too

You side stepped my second point. If it was a smaller accidental damage not covered under warranty, what recourse does a current iMac owner have.

That happens thousands of times a day. It is called totaling.

Yes. Totaling means cost of repair > cost of new. But there is not option of repair here. What about a smaller accident?

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Because it's been explained numerous times in this thread that Apple replaces the entire unit if it needs to be repaired and the person wasn't a dumbass who purposely destroyed it for YouTube views.

You keep saying that, but correct me if I'm wrong but they don't replace it with new.

They replace units with factory repaired units, which are... repaired. They don't go to third party certified folks because it's just not as economically feasible, but that's part of the same support system these company's usually do.

Again, the video is about this fact that they don't have this set up yet. The only recourse is warranty service and possibly replacement with a brand new model, which is ultimately the problem. They released a product before support was there from their factory refurbished system and/or third party certified repair techs.

If you buy for personal use and are under warranty this is fine. If you're running a small production shop and need enterprise support, you're running a gamble that you bought a bunch of $5000 paper weights.

Also someone noticed that in the emails, the T.O.S of the basic warranty mentions that Apple can decide not to service a product that has been altered by an unauthorized person, they can decide to refuse servicing the unit.

Which is fine. But that isn't the issue. The issue is Apple admitted they can't repair it because there's no infrastructure set up to do so at all. It is not that they won't, which they're well within their rights to claim. The product can't be repaired because the normal product channels are not ready yet.... On a $5000 product. That is remarkable.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I'm a forum hero so I'm going to quote every post you make and find something to say even if it has nothing to do with the topic."
I'm a forum hero for correcting people who A) never watched the video, B) use stupid analogies, C) have the wrong information?

You're the guy going "hurr durr Apple stuff isn't repairable by users".

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I dunno if I'm down with a computer being treated like a car
Worst case scenario I should be able to try to fix it myself

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a forum hero for correcting people who A) never watched the video, B) use stupid analogies, C) have the wrong information?

You're the guy going "hurr durr Apple stuff isn't repairable by users".

I never said that. Obviously having a good faith discussion doesn't seem to be a priority to you. You think I hate Apple and that's all you need to know. Right?

Don't quote me again.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
You side stepped my second point. If it was a smaller accidental damage not covered under warranty, what recourse does a current iMac owner have.

Yes. Totaling means cost of repair > cost of new. But there is not option of repair here. What about a smaller accident?

This wasn't an accident it was someone voiding the warranty. If I take a hammer to my car do you think Tesla is going to fix it for free under the warranty?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What is The Golden State?

Cmon Breh.

giphy.gif

DJ-rfGEVAAEJoIT.jpg

giphy.gif

Klay-Thompson-missed-dunk-GIF.gif

OP is obviously talking about the Golden State Warriors.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I used to be an AppleCare Senior Advisor. I would say there would've been a decent chance for a CRU (essentially a no-charge-at-all replacement unit) for a standard customer if they called me about having gone through this headache. I'm not completely sure since I would've had to make the case to the CRU team, but I'm confident there would've been a satisfactory result. I rarely had my CRU requests denied.

For a major influencer like the Linus channel, Apple has an Executive Relations team that should likely be handling this, increasing the chances of a CRU to near 100%.

It has been a few years since my Senior Advisor days though, so maybe the process has changed.

Apple has an internal list of what makes a CRU possible. If it can be proven that expectations were set for a repair or replacement by an Apple Store employee, that's subjective grounds for a CRU. Another item on that list is a repair taking too long - I think 14 days or more. My case for a CRU would've listed out both of those points. I've gotten accidental-damaged iMacs and Retina MBPs replaced at no charge before with similar cases made so I'm pretty sure I could've done it for Linus had the case come my way when I was a Senior Advisor.

This is exactly why I think the thing was judged to be BER from tampering with internals. The guys in the ARS have all kinds of appeasement options for cases like this but if the device is labeled beyond economic repair that means CRUs or even accidental damage repairs are off the table and tey will have to tell a very angry customer to buy a new iMac Pro which they won't do because they can imagine the reaction that will get and they are drilled to avoid use of negative language and to always present another option, so they refer to an AASP.

There is no doubt in my mind that they can repair display damage to an iMac Pro, even if they have to order parts and it'tll take longer that usual, this is not an issue of training or replacement parts, it is one of policy.

Oct 25, 2017
You keep saying that, but correct me if I'm wrong but they don't replace it with new.

They replace units with factory repaired units, which are... repaired. They don't go to third party certified folks because it's just not as economically feasible, but that's part of the same support system these company's usually do.

There's many stories of people bringing in devices that are within their AppleCare+ warranty period and given "new" machines. Not a same model, actually upgraded hardware over their existing Apple device. I'm talking an Apple support person walking into the back of the store and coming back with a brand new item. In the case of support calls they'll likely get one of their refurbished items, or brand new, but their refurbs are top notch quality.