adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Fully engrossed in them? See them as shallow "games"? Would be good to hear multiple perspectives here.

I'm going through a fairly polarising experience right now. Currently working my way through 13 Sentinels on the Ps4 and it's a wonderful game. The narrative structure combined with the artwork and setting make for a really engaging experience. I can see why it's getting plaudits.

On the other hand, I'm also working through AI Somnium on the Switch in my downtime and I'm having a miserable time with it. Having high expectations from VLR and 999, this is just a downright disappointment. Never hooked on the characters, nor the tech-noir setting, plus the Psyncing is utterly dreadful.

Expect Danganronpa and Stein's Gate to be the stand outs here, but are there any others you'd recommend?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I like most everything Uchikoshi, Takumi Nakazawa and Ryukishi07 work on. The House in Fata Morgana was great, Code: Realize was surprisingly a lot of fun, 428 and Machi are ludicrously enjoyable, etc.

I'm sloooooooooowly going through Muv-Luv at the moment, and that's fun too, despite being paced like molasses.

... As for semi-recent, well-regarded stuff I didn't enjoy: Raging Loop. Super slow and with a laughably bad ending.

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
"Pure" visual novels should be read on a Switch (or streamed to a tablet) while sitting on a comfortable couch with a hot tea, reading it like a book. It's not really comparable to regular games.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I quite enjoyed 999 on DS but otherwise don't seek them out. I don't know if Murder By Numbers counts but I'm playing that one too...for the puzzles. I bought 13 Sentinels before I understood it was a visual novel. I might have held off if I realized that beforehand. Still looking forward to playing it though. I guess I just want a game to be a game more than a book, but I'm not against it if the story is actually worthwhile. I'm pretty picky when it comes to thinking game stories matter at all though, unfortunately.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
I've been playing visual novels for a long time now on PC. I don't mind purely text based ones either. I play tons of those on both Vita/mobile.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Really like what I've played, prefer them portably though.

I also like them to have little occasional bits of gameplay, whether it be Ace Attorney trials/investigations or 999 puzzles. I think 13 Sentinels would have been better without the walking around tho, it basically feels like a barren adventure game with how little interaction there is with the environment.

I am really curious about otome games since some of those seem really neat conceptually and I feel they must have more going on than just dating anime boys. Would kinda suck if they're passed over when Steins;Gate (which I like) basically has romance route endings by any other definition.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The majority of the popular ones have really embarrassing moments of sexualization that most people try to gloss over when recommending them.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I enjoy them. I read Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth this year and they're my new favorites in the genre.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I basically view them as something in between a book and a movie

have to be in the right mood for them which doesn't happen very often but i've had some great experiences with them over the years

edit: I don't really care for the ones that mix gameplay in though, i'll play them anyways if they are good enough(i've played the first two Zero Escape games) but at best it just feels like a mildly annoying chore to get to the bits i'm actually playing it for

Last edited:

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
I do like them to feature some actual puzzle solving as well instead of just exhausting every option in the menu over and over until the story moves forward like some of the more shallow ones.

In other words I prefer them to be as close to adventure games as possible.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I really prefer it when they have choices that have a meaningful impact on the story, puzzles are good too.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
It's a lot of garbage and creepy over/undertones to wade through, and even the best games have... issues, sometimes, but yeah, I'd say there are a good number to pick through that are worth one's time, particularly when at least the overarching narrative veers a bit away from romance. Non-VN gameplay helps, too, though I find that the competency of that sort of thing varies heavily from game to game.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Been playing Visual Novels for quite a while now and really enjoy them. I finally got around to Umineko and Higurashi a few months back. Basically a commitment reading them back to back but was well worth it in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
They're the most immersive type of game for me. There's something very intimate about their use of sprites and static backgrounds while still having you interact with them whether it be as little as moving the text forward or moving characters, solving puzzles, et al.

They unfortunately are limited by the trends, tropes, and writing styles of Japan being primarily made there. But having said that there are quite a few I find interesting.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely love them, but they have to be on a portable. Perfect games to play in bed.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I will put in a vote for VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action if you want a game where you can relax with a drink and soak up those PC-98 synthwave vibes.

... As for semi-recent, well-regarded stuff I didn't enjoy: Raging Loop. Super slow and with a laughably bad ending.

I liked the first half of the game a lot. It really does implode in the end though.

As for my own unpopular opinion, I found House in Fata Morgana to be a real slog to get through. I really dig the overall plot and the artwork, but the actual prose did not work for me at all. I don't know if it was the English translation or the source material, but it is so tedious. And some of the music tracks could be used to disperse rioters.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I find they become way too convoluted for their own good to the point that the story loses whatever it had going for it. Or at least, the VNs that usually get recommended.

Would love to play some that are down to earth and just focus on the characters.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I've tried to get into 999 so many times that I've realized it's probably just not for me. I like the premise but I quickly got bored of hunting around for everything. The puzzle aspects were fun, the layout not so much.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I like a VN with more than just reading. VLR and 999 were super enjoyable.

The VN's without any gameplay mechanics are an instant pass. If all I'm going to do is read, I'd get so much more out of reading a book.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I mostly find them boring, never could get into the genre, the point and click interactivity was always kind of annoying to me, even in classics like Monkey Island and such. I do like a handful of them like Snatcher, though.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I like a VN with more than just reading. VLR and 999 were super enjoyable.

The VN's without any gameplay mechanics are an instant pass. If all I'm going to do is read, I'd get so much more out of reading a book.

Umineko is like a love letter to classic mystery books, that why I loved it so much.

The setting is basically a copy of And Then There Were None, but it goes wild lol

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I love them. I consider them their own separate medium though and not inherently games.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
They don't work for me. I desperately want to like them but outside of the Ace Attorney Trilogy and the nonary games I find the rest to be boring. I think that has more to do with the subject matter.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I see visual novels as a cheap but effective way of getting across a story and think literally any other method than straight up text boxes is better. The story has to be really good and/or have plenty of breaks from visual novel-ing or me to get into them.

I think most visual novels in general are shit but the most popular ones (Ace Attorney, Zero Escape, Danganronpa, Persona) handle it very well.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I haven't played much outside of AA and AI : The Somnium Files, but I enjoyed them, with AA being among my favorite franchises.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I find they become way too convoluted for their own good to the point that the story loses whatever it had going for it. Or at least, the VNs that usually get recommended.

Would love to play some that are down to earth and just focus on the characters.

Well, the entirety of the plot in VA-11 Hall-A is "Girl works in a bar while coming to terms with the end of her last relationship."

Some of the characters are kind of out there though, so if you are looking for something super grounded and serious it might not be your cup of tea.

kosmickitten

Jul 2, 2019
I looooove VNs. My second favorite genre, after RPGs. I like all types of VNs too. But like with any genre or books for that matter, obviously I find some that don't pull me. I tend to love Otome VNs and ones with puzzles (like 999) the best. Or any one that makes me tear up lol. I actually prefer them on my monitor though, instead of portable. That way I can recline in my chair and get a better experience with the art and music.

I really need to start 13 Sentinels next. I saw that Vanillaware made it and assumed it was a game more like Odin sphere or Dragon's Crown and passed on it. I just ordered a copy once I learned more about it though.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If the screen layout is this:

screenshot1.0.jpg

I automatically hate it. It's a visual nuisance and I can't stand looking at how boring it all is. Even edging close to this is why I immediately dismissed Persona 3 and 4.

I haven't dabbled in many games in the genre as a result.

Type-Zero

Oct 31, 2017
I love visual novels. I feel that they are easy to pick up and enjoy at your own pace. I especially love the feeling when the story starts to pick up and it's hard to stop reading. I recommend anyone who has not read one to give them a try even more if you like to be emotionally invested on characters or the world in general.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I like them more than other video games, if you want to consider them video games. My presence is on this forum is somewhat skewed towards them over other stuff.

999 was my gateway game - I similarly love Virtue's Last Reward and Uchikoshi's works in general. Zero Time Dilemma was the ultimate mixed bag.

The House in Fata Morgana is better than most published literature.

I love the Utawarerumono sequels - those are nearer and dearer to my heart than any other visual novels I've played. The worldbuilding is unparalleled. One of the few series I'd consider myself a 'fan' of.

Other masterpieces: Ace Attorney 3, VA-11 HALL-A, Planetarian

Fair few I'm partway through. I'm loving Little Busters and Yu-No, and Silver Case is impressing so far.

I have one hell of a backlog.

I enjoy them. I read Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth this year and they're my new favorites in the genre.
1*fjm5PINal3ulOhvXOHbLIg.gif

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
VNs with some sort of gameplay addition are definitely my favorite. Can be argued if they count, but stuff like Ace Attorney, Danganronpa, etc are really nice to get both things without really having to worry about any sort of skill level to get to the end.

Besides that, just regular VNs in-general can be a cool time. You can do a lot with games and being able to tell a story differently from a big is cool, especially when it uses the format to its advantage.

Exist 2 Inspire