Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What you guys opinion on SFV spamming characters with ads? They just look super silly and downright dumb. For example removing Guile's American flag tattoo and putting advertisement.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/am...5-in-game-ads-costumes-stages-loading-screens

Or

https://youtu.be/zpv_zo2r2do

Lol this is sad...

On top of that you are missing out for not having this on because you won't get extra fight money for having them on.

How you guys feel about this? Almost close to a f2p game now for a b2p model.

EDIT: punishment was not the right word.

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ads about SF related stuff makes sense

But the second they put a mountain dew ad there the game is dead

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
On top of that you are punished for not having this on because you won't get extra fight money for having them on.
With a cap of 150FM. While we haven't found out if that's daily/weekly/monthly, that's the equivalent of 3 wins in an online match.

Just putting it out there because the benefits of having it on really don't seem particularly worthwhile.

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think it's pretty funny, but probably doesn't affect the game in a meaningful way.

Nov 3, 2017
The big ads pre-match are terrible but can't you turn off the costume edits (and earn no bonus fight money vs bonus fight money if you have them on, but the bonus has a limit)

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
The ads are SF related right?
If yes i see no problem with this, as long as they don't start to show content non related to SF it's all good.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Not happy at all. Even with the toggle I don't like the precedence it sets, and if there's not fan kickback we'll be seeing a shit load of this in SF6.

I've been okay with a lot of stuff SFV has done, this is the first time I'm not happy with what they've done.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
What you guys opinion on SFV spamming characters with ads? They just look super silly and downright dumb. For example removing Guile's American flag tattoo and putting advertisement.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/am...5-in-game-ads-costumes-stages-loading-screens

Or

https://youtu.be/zpv_zo2r2do

Lol this is sad...

On top of that you are punished for not having this on because you won't get extra fight money for having them on.

How you guys feel about this? Almost close to a f2p game now for a b2p model.
Not getting a trivial amount of fight money is "punishment"? Weird choice of wording. The fight money is an incentive for people who want to view ads. You shouldn't get any if you don't turn them on because that's the whole point...

That being said, Capcom kinda overdid it. They're pretty ugly and I'll probably be turning them off. I think them offering it is fine though.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
The bonus FM being low is kind of a good thing since I think the outrage would have been way bigger if ads gave you way more FM. This way you dont miss much by turning them off. I also dont mind capcom advertising their own cpt stuff. As long as its this way I dont mind. Again the worst I could is probably razer stuff or something like that but the good thing is capcom sponsors arent that bad. Beside that year when totino was sponsoring capcom cup...

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with it for official streamed matches and tournaments but don't want it when I'm just playing on my own.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It's tacky, but optional. And at present, it's a paltry bonus 12 Fight Money per win with all three ad types (costume/load screen/stage) enabled, and even then you only get stage FM if using one of the paid Capcom Pro Tour stages. The extra FM is entirely too insignificant to justify bothering with ads or to call it a punishment for not using them.

Yung Kyubii

Banned
May 12, 2018
When I was a wee lad I remember wanting to play CS on a legit account where you could see ads in-game.

Cs16_ingame_ad.jpg

I thought that was awesome back then.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love ads
I kinda love them being integrated into sports
Would have loved to have unique costumes like the ones that Red Bull did for SFV
The way that they were implemented in this game was god awful, they look like a terrible paint job, and the FM given is ridiculously low, also I hate that they don't end with a 5 or a 0

This was as easy as replacing some posters or banners in the existing stages replaces the theme of the stage with what you want to promote

Bu including those shitty CPT logos on the worst way possible doesn't give enough confidence, I mean if the pay is low why I would use those costumes instead of some of te cooler ones that I already purchased?

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
It looks awful, but it's optional. For the future of SF... I think f2p is the best model for competitive fighting games, but you have to do it right. Make costumes people want to buy instead of this crap.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
There is no punishement. The ads barely give any fight money not having them on wont be a big deal.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
It makes sense for the stages that are supposed to be a sports arena but besides that it seems kind of silly to me.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Played a couple of hours today and didn't care about seeing them. I don't understand why some people are so angry about it. It's an ad that lasts like five seconds or it's a stupid sticker on a costume.

Who gives a shit? You going to play or what?

nded

Nov 14, 2017
The stage and loading screen ads are tolerable. Costumes look like ass, just give everyone a soccer jersey or something. Turned them off because I don't play online that often anyway.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't punish you for not wanting the ads. Make a bonus reward for having them on. Punishing your players for something they can opt out that you decided to ad to make more money is pretty dumb even if it's small.

If it was F2P from the start then it's a different story. This was a full priced game.
But... That's exactly how it works. And the bonus is pretty trivial anyways so there isn't much reason to have it on to begin with.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Throw it on billboards in the backgrounds. Problem is not all stages will work with that sort of thing.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't punish you for not wanting the ads. Make a bonus reward for having them on. Punishing your players for something they can opt out that you decided to ad to make more money is pretty dumb even if it's small. I don't even mind ads in games, it's the punishing part that is the issue.

If it was F2P from the start then it's a different story. This was a full priced game.

Wut. Isn't that exactly what they've done?

Some of you guys are using the word "punish" really weird.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't punish you for not wanting the ads. Make a bonus reward for having them on. Punishing your players for something they can opt out that you decided to ad to make more money is pretty dumb even if it's small. I don't even mind ads in games, it's the punishing part that is the issue.

They aren't punishing anyone, though. The amount of FM awarded for winning is the same as it was before. It is only a bonus for having them on, but nowhere near enough to make it worth it.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
More goofy than anything malicious.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
The payout is so slim, it's not really worth it. 4 additional fight money. When a character costs 100000, a stage 70000, a story skin 10000. Make at least 10 Fight Money, because as it is the system is just useless.

atmuh

Oct 25, 2017
its gonna make cpt events really dumb to watch because you know capcom is gonna force people to wear those costumes

Brock2621

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This is like buying a car and then the dealer comes into your garage at night and slaps bumper stickers on each of the body panels.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
It wont change anything with tournament. There is already ads during tournament. Heck the players arent even force to play on the CPT stage unless its top8. The only thing players were ever force to do was the cammy and mika costume and that was an espn thing

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
But... That's exactly how it works. And the bonus is pretty trivial anyways so there isn't much reason to have it on to begin with.
Wut. Isn't that exactly what they've done?

Some of you guys are using the word "punish" really weird.
They aren't punishing anyone, though. The amount of FM awarded for winning is the same as it was before. It is only a bonus for having them on, but nowhere near enough to make it worth it.
Ohh it seems l have it backwards. I just was listening to a podcast this morning about it and they made it seem it was this way. Yeah if it's earning more by turning it on then no big deal at all.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Streaming tournaments in-game is probably a better vehicle for ad revenue. Hell, they could probably build up a library of tournament footage and tutorials and play ads before those Youtube style.