Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's a recurring topic and I'm repeating much of myself from before, but I want to get everyone's updated thoughts on ways they think Part 2 could be adapted. (Also feel free to talk about Part 3!)

I AM SUPER HYPED FOR PART 2.

So, some current thoughts on possible ways to go about said game.

We're going for a road trip vibe here! And I know people will think this is beyond Square's ability, but it's fun to imagine a Part 2 where you get the whole party, and for at least this one game, nobody dies and there are cozy scenes at resorts, campsites, scenic trails, etc.

That way if Aerith dies in Part 3 and your soul is crushed forever, you can forget that game exists and just replay Part 2. :-3

More in a moment, in terms of how this could work with regard to story structure and gameplay growth. But in short, I have envisioned a story tweak that allows for fast travel to prior towns so that you can get extra mileage out of characters who join the party later in the game.

NOW THEN...

- Cold open with playable Nibelheim flashback that explains Sephiroth - the man you will be hunting in Part 2. You can play as an over-powered Sephiroth to relearn the controls. "Tap X to choose Abilities, and use them to one-shot this goddamn dragon." HYPE! This is the spectacular Bombing Run equivalent, culminating in Cloud vs. Sephiroth at the Nibel Reactor after Seph goes crazy, massacres the town, kills Tifa's dad and knocks her out.

- Transition to Kalm, where Cloud is recounting the tale at the inn. Kalm is a cute lil' town, roughly half the size of the Sector 7 slums. Maybe like Ch. 3 in Part 1, you do some mundane quests here, only with each party member as a tutorial for them - including the newly playable Red XIII.

- We have now (re)established Sephiroth and why he's a Bad Dude. The party reflects on what happened at the end of Part 1. They resolve to seek answers in Nibelheim.

- The overworld is actually a series of DQ11-style "wide linear" countryside corridors that lead to focused story chapters at the Chocobo Ranch, Mythril Mines, Junon, Costa del Sol, North Coral, Gold Saucer, Old Coral, Gongaga and Cosmo Canyon.

- There is infrastructure connecting everything by land (roads, etc) but you will often travel off-road. More on why in a moment.

- The explorable areas / assets in the towns could be focused to streamline development. Skyboxes and other tricks could convey scale (i.e. you would see out-of-bounds skyscrapers in the background of Junon, distant theme parks in Gold Saucer, etc).

- The "wide linear" country routes allow you to explore a bit off the beaten path for treasure, grinding, heart-to-heart scenes, scenic views, etc. But they ultimately funnel you to the next story beat. Not truly open world.

- The marshlands could be a setpiece like Part 1's motorcycle, only you're on chocobos fleeing a giant snake! You could then battle the snake when cornered at the entrance to the Mines, fighting it until it slithers in retreat.

- Fort Condor could be located on the road leading out of the Mythril Mines, past the impaled snake. Storywise, the fort is a detour that establishes how there are other resistance groups that oppose Shinra. It could re-litigate why Shinra is bad, and why groups like Avalanche are good. It could reuse assets such as the reactors from Part 1 to streamline development. Just one chapter.

- Yuffie could join at Junon, after being pursued from Kalm where she stole your materia.

- Your save data from Part 1 could determine what materia Yuffie stole. Everyone gets Ifrit (since everyone receives Ifrit in Part 1), but if you got any optional summons in Part 1, there could be quests where you will be able to get them back by tracking down people who bought them from Yuffie.

- Rufus is inaugurated at Junon. His military parade is now a war rally against Wutai. You will see his military mobilizing across the world, forming blockades on the roads - a narrative conceit for, say, going up Mount Coral instead of taking the road around. The parade could also reintroduce the other Shinra execs, and the new war conspiracy.

- The ship lets you talk to each of your party members as they look out at the sea at night. They then battle Jenova Birth in an illusory world unseen to others on the ship.

- Costa del Sol has a swimsuit scene. This is important for story reasons. Yep.

- Cait Sith joins in Gold Saucer. A spy bot disguised as a toy cat, riding atop Shinra armor disguised as a plush moogle. Both were originally created by Scarlet's Advanced Weapons R&D, but discarded and forgotten, only to be secretly salvaged by Reeve.

- The cat's megaphone directs the moogle with coded frequencies, augmenting and amplifying its power.

(The above two points are my attempt to make sense of this beloved but bewildering character, lol)

- Gold Saucer is the Wall Market equivalent, consolidating all of its OG attractions in one glorious chapter. You get your theater play, chocobo races, rollercoaster minigame, fireworks date and Battle Square battles!

- This segues straight into a dusty Wild West showdown in Old Coral where Barret confronts Dyne and clears the party's name. Keep it short and sweet. Get the buggy to cross the desert and river (it's amphibious!) to reach the jungles of Gongaga.

- Remember the goofy-ass tank triceratops? It could be a boss robot at the jungle reactor, emerging from the wreckage. :-o

- Maybe Aerith can remember more about Zack while visiting his hometown.

- Cosmo Canyon would of course have the bonfire scene, but there could be other campsites around the world. As with Ignis in FF15, you could cook meals and make drinks with gathered materials and recipes, giving your team temporary stat boosts and time to banter. Maybe Tifa could do the cooking!

- It might be possible to change the story so that they hit up Rocket Town before Nibelheim, and Cid joins, and the Tiny Bronco is secured - only this time, it can FLY as Part 2's form of fast travel, allowing for return trips to previous areas for optional dungeons (FF15 had 24 of 'em!), where late-game characters can get extra mileage and development.

- The Tiny Bronco could then lose its flight in the ending scenes, and become the watercraft that gets them to Wutai, which could be the opening of Part 3, complete with the start of the war (and fan service cherry blossom festival with Aerith in a kimono because animeeeeee).

- Why go to Wutai in Part 3? In Nibelheim, at the end of Part 2, the party learns of the Black Materia plot from Sephiroth himself. Bugenhagen tells them about the key to the Ancient Temple. Yuffie says this key is a treasure of Wutai. (Rather than Dio having it.)

- The Tiny Bronco could be not-so-tiny now, redesigned with a watertight cargo hold to carry the buggy, explaining how it's available when fast traveling. By late game, the military blockades will have subsided, allowing you to drive freely and take the long way, if you wish, complete with buggy banter (Barret has to pee!).

- A number of summons could be bosses. You could corner Yuffie in the Mythril Mines, only for her to unleash Titan on you. In the Battle Square at Gold Saucer, Dio could pit you against Ramuh. The Turks in the jungles of Gongaga could call forth Odin. (Yuffie sheepishly admits she sold it to them).

- Vincent could appear in the Shinra Mansion at Nibelheim, like before. Since it's a late-game dungeon, he could be non-playable in Part 2 - same with Cid - OR, if the devs can manage it, they could both be playable, and get extra mileage out of the fast-travel dungeons I proposed earlier.

- Dungeons, both required and optional, would usually have predetermined party setups, around which the dungeon is balanced and the character banter is written. Maybe one dungeon is all brawlers, and another is all ranged fighters. This allows for gameplay variety, and focused character bonding.

- But there could also be fights where you access more characters - maybe via a tag system, teamup attacks or assist moves similar to a Vs fighting game.

- Credit to PlanetSmasher for this one, before he shows up in this thread and hates all my other ideas (lol, love you Smashy): The final battle at the Nibel Reactor could feature Sephiroth conjuring an illusory army of loved ones. Cloud fights a demonic vision of his mother; Tifa, her father; Barret, Avalanche; Red, his father; Aerith, Zack; Yuffie, her father; etc.

Seph is all about dat emotional torture, after all - it's how he tricks the good guys into bringing his real body the Black Materia.

Just some ideas! What are yours? How do you think they might adapt and depict things?

Also, HURRY UP SQUARE!

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
mqdefault.jpg

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Sephiroth gains another wing for each sequel.

Honestly I'm most excited to see the weirder enemies like your triceratops tank example. Fill part 2 with whatever weirdness you can give me.

I also wonder how they're going to make Zack more relevant to the story because who knows how the plot is going to go after part 1's ending.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually want them to take it in a very different direction than the original. Same world, but there's so much potential there for something new and exciting. Some new characters. Different people live, different people die, Zac is alive.

Kingdom Hearts this shit.

Oct 31, 2017
Reading that really made me realize they have like 10% of assets completed

and a lot of work to do

completing this is going to take forever ugh :-(

Also it might be bad writing but idc I need Jessie alive thank you

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019

and a lot of work to do

I'm personally thinking Jessie might show up as the princess in the play in Gold Saucer with some sort of amnesia or something like that. Talking about her being an actress who specifically wanted to perform there has to have been for a reason, I think.

Last edited:

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Kind of offtopic but, If finish the FF7R, how much would I have to play in the old ff7, to be at the same point in the story.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I like some of these ideas, but I've stopped thinking about what I want from it. I really enjoyed Remake and am willing to play what they put out for part 2.

Oct 31, 2017
Would you guys cry if they revealed in Part 2 that after the party defeated Sin and Yu Yevon in Final Fantasy X they actually eventually reformed into Jenova and then Jenova crash landed onto the planet

And then somehow bc of time shenanigans the fayth of Final Fantasy X recreate Zanarkand in Gaia and Tidus, Shuyin, Lenne, and Yunalesca are all in the game as party members? And then again bc of time shenanigans Tidus and co. also join?

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I saw a random comment on a YT vid ages ago where the people said that they thought FF7R would be in three parts: Remake, Rebirth, Reunion. I hope that's true.

Rebirth (part 2) starts with the flashback in Kalm and ends with Cloud handing over the black materia and awakening Weapon (which could be the final boss).

I also hope we have big changes from the original now that they've made the decision they've made: the timeline is split so run with it and commit to it.

Gameplay wise we'll have Chocobo racing and snowboarding etc, but not too sure how the rest of the team will play.

BeanBoi

Jun 20, 2019
I'm just hoping for not a massive departure from the story. They nailed the combat and aesthetic so if they make it super different it'll suck and make people wish for a straight remake STILL.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Starts with Junon, ends with Northern Crater. Then the third game is the third act of the original story.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

and a lot of work to do

I think it would be neat if Jessie appeared in the play with her parents in the audience at the Gold Saucer, to the shock of all, and maybe she doesn't remember you at first, but later Bugenhagen explains how elements from other timelines are merging together as the universe tries to sort out things in the aftermath of the Whispers.

I like some of these ideas, but I've stopped thinking about what I want from it. I really enjoyed Remake and am willing to play what they put out for part 2.
I wrote the OP, but I'm ultimately down for whatever they do, so long as the characters are as lovable as Part 1.

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
Since apparently just retelling the story of the original is out of the question, just ditch the Remake bullshit, do what has been done for ages in comics and tell a story with the same characters, but in an alternate universe altogether, without any dumb space/time/garbage-bag-ghosts crossovers trying to explain how it's linked to the original. Also tell a story that doesn't need "please find my cats" filler fetch quests, it's not like there's a lack of themes to choose from in FF7

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The problem with FF7R2. Is that we had a full game of playing Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, and Barret. Like, I 100% feel like they pushed all of the mechanics to each character fully. So much so that I feel like playing as that main cast... Again would get repetitive. (Unless they make some significant changes to the battle system).

I feel like really fleshing out other characters. Like having the Kalm sequence be extremely long, where you exclusively play as sephiroth.

Then I would actually love it if we played more as Zach. See what he is up to.

I don't know though. I know we have Red Xll. But I really hope they shake things up Gameplay-wise. Half of the fun of FF7R, was having this constant rotating party, with extremely different strategies, strengths, and weaknesses. In the original FF7. You kind of don't get much of that after the midgar portion.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
IMO don't kill Aerith off, it wouldn't be as emotional, as the first time. This isn't a remake but a parallel universe sequel, so it's more challenging and creative to explore what happens if she lives.

Having to kill her to protect the timeline, like 'Flashpoint' or 'Father's Day' episode of Doctor Who, that plot is overdone.

To use the 'defying fate' plot, to amplify the emotional impact of Aerith's death.. I like her death in the original but I find that cheap and manipulative.

You reach the City of the Ancients, you focus on Aerith's fate and are blind sided that it's someone else' death that is the focus. Sephiroth is killed at the city of the ancients this time.. through some new plot device, and the meddling with reality. The feeling in the original, of Aerith's death, the uncertainty of where the third act is going, that feeling is recreated in a different way.

I guess the final part would be stopping an even bigger threat, the source of the calamity, the true Jenova.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with FF7R2. Is that we had a full game of playing Cloud, Tifa, Aerith, and Barret. Like, I 100% feel like they pushed all of the mechanics to each character fully. So much so that I feel like playing as that main cast... Again would get repetitive. (Unless they make some significant changes to the battle system).

I feel like really fleshing out other characters. Like having the Kalm sequence be extremely long, where you exclusively play as sephiroth.

Then I would actually love it if we played more as Zach. See what he is up to.

I don't know though. I know we have Red Xll. But I really hope they shake things up Gameplay-wise. Half of the fun of FF7R, was having this constant rotating party, with extremely different strategies, strengths, and weaknesses. In the original FF7. You kind of don't get much of that after the midgar portion.
It's all in how they structure each scenario. Maybe at different points in different towns, the story will now have you play as Red and Barret here, Tifa and Yuffie there, Aerith and Cait Sith here, etc. With gameplay challenges designed around the strengths and weaknesses of each party combination.

Part 1 did this nicely. You fought Hell House as Cloud and Aerith, without access to Barret or Tifa. With Arsenal, you controlled Aerith and Barret without access to Cloud or Tifa. The boss battles were designed accordingly.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you guys cry if they revealed in Part 2 that after the party defeated Sin and Yu Yevon in Final Fantasy X they actually eventually reformed into Jenova and then Jenova crash landed onto the planet

And then somehow bc of time shenanigans the fayth of Final Fantasy X recreate Zanarkand in Gaia and Tidus, Shuyin, Lenne, and Yunalesca are all in the game as party members? And then again bc of time shenanigans Tidus and co. also join?

This is after or before Tidus blowing up his head thanks to a bomb?

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
There's definitely going to be some sort of driving sequence where the party tries to cross the swamp and then has to run from the Midgar Zolom. Then you'll have to do quests in and around the farm to get chocobos.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
I have a crystal clear idea of what I'd do if I was suddenly given Nomura's job, but it's definitely nothing close to what they're gonna do. I'd love a split party game with Red, Tifa and Cloud following Sephiroth, heading to Cosmo Canyon and Barret, Aerith and Yuffie heading to Wutai to deal with all the really interesting Avalanche/Wutai War stuff they've set up in part one that wasn't there before. End it all in the Northern Cave with Sephiroth (new guy, walking around) vs Sephiroth (entombed in the cave) if you want something bonkers for an ending.

It sucks that the conversation always comes back to Aerith. The remakes should be taking on such a radically different direction after the ending of the first that the question of will Sephiroth kill Aerith isn't even relevant anymore. It's not even in the top three most emotionally important scenes in the original and its dominance in Square's framing of the remake is disappointing. I'm far more invested in what all these changes mean with the tension between Barret's Avalanche (direct action) and wider Avalanche (realpolitik Wutai alliance), and the eventual delving into Cloud's psyche that's gonna happen.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I have a crystal clear idea of what I'd do if I was suddenly given Nomura's job, but it's definitely nothing close to what they're gonna do. I'd love a split party game with Red, Tifa and Cloud following Sephiroth, heading to Cosmo Canyon and Barret, Aerith and Yuffie heading to Wutai to deal with all the really interesting Avalanche/Wutai War stuff they've set up in part one that wasn't there before. End it all in the Northern Cave with Sephiroth (new guy, walking around) vs Sephiroth (entombed in the cave) if you want something bonkers for an ending.

It sucks that the conversation always comes back to Aerith. The remakes should be taking on such a radically different direction after the ending of the first that the question of will Sephiroth kill Aerith isn't even relevant anymore. It's not even in the top three most emotionally important scenes in the original and its dominance in Square's framing of the remake is disappointing. I'm far more invested in what all these changes mean with the tension between Barret's Avalanche (direct action) and wider Avalanche (realpolitik Wutai alliance), and the eventual delving into Cloud's psyche that's gonna happen.
Hmm, how is Aerith's death "not in the top three most emotionally important scenes" when it's -the- moment everyone remembers about the game? Even people who haven't played FF7 know about Aerith's death.

I'm not saying she has to die - I actually think it would be quite interesting if she lived - but I can see why they're building up suspense around her currently unknown fate. Heck, much of Advent Children was Cloud wrestling with guilt and regret over Aerith's passing.

I find your split party idea really interesting, though. I just think that, split party or not, they should keep Cloud and Aerith together for much of the adventure in order to develop their relationship. Whether she lives or still dies, that connection carries weight, and will have some sort of payoff.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Next game starts in the back of a truck.. Cloud and Sephiroth on their way to Nibelheim. First hour you play out that entire flashback then there you are ready to start in Kalm.

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quoting myself here;

Something I'd like for Part II is a "support gauge," a single ATB gauge that fills like ATB and can be used to swap party members mid-combat, call in a special attack from sidelined characters or execute combos between two current members of the party (Cloud launching Tifa off the flat of his sword, Aerith enchanting Cloud's sword with magic, Tifa and Aerith breaking out folding chairs like a tag-team match...) . Obviously throw in some materia / accessories to tweak how it works. Temporarily replaced with the summon gauge in boss battles.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
Hmm, how is Aerith's death "not in the top three most emotionally important scenes" when it's -the- moment everyone remembers about the game? Even people who haven't played FF7 know about Aerith's death.

I'm not saying she has to die - I actually think it would be quite interesting if she lived - but I can see why they're building up suspense around her currently unknown fate. Heck, much of Advent Children was Cloud wrestling with guilt and regret over Aerith's passing.

I find your split party idea really interesting, though. I just think that, split party or not, they should keep Cloud and Aerith together for much of the adventure in order to develop their relationship. Whether she lives or still dies, that connection carries weight, and will have some sort of payoff.

Well I really don't like advent children for that reason, it completely misunderstands Cloud's character and presses reset on his arc. Like Cloud is just not the same character in that movie that he is in the game, and it's frustrating given the actual emotional peak is the scene where Cloud reconstructs his sense of self.

Remake so far has felt like an attempt to kind of marry the OG game and the retcons of Advent Children into one cohesive whole and I have liked it more than I expected, but I do want square to swing for the fences as hard as possible in ways I don't expect them to given some comments.

And since you asked lol my personal emotional peaks from the original are the Northern Crater setpiece up to the reveal of meteor in the sky, the actual ending scene, and Cloud and Tifa reconstructing his self in the livestream. The latter especially is the most important scene in the game just thematically speaking with what it's saying about Cloud

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not so much worried about the chronological order of things as I don't see that changing much from the original considering how Remake was handled (almost 1:1). I'm worried about the actual moment to moment gameplay and traversal.

Are we looking at zones with "hallways" connecting them because that won't fly like it did in Midgar for me. I personally feel it needs to be semi open world with at least the buggy making it to part 2. Its not like they don't have any experience with that sort of thing considering they did it with XIV and XV. Hell even KH3 had something like that going on in some of the worlds and the gummy ship space stuff between them.

I don't expect dramatic changes to the story in part 2 outside of the meta stuff they're doing sandwiched inbetween but I do expect them to expand certain areas like Junon and Gongaga in particular. The two early towns are ripe for additions like Jessie's chapter.

Well I really don't like advent children for that reason, it completely misunderstands Cloud's character and presses reset on his arc. Like Cloud is just not the same character in that movie that he is in the game, and it's frustrating given the actual emotional peak is the scene where Cloud reconstructs his sense of self.

Remake so far has felt like an attempt to kind of marry the OG game and the retcons of Advent Children into one cohesive whole and I have liked it more than I expected, but I do want square to swing for the fences as hard as possible in ways I don't expect them to given some comments.

And since you asked lol my personal emotional peaks from the original are the Northern Crater setpiece up to the reveal of meteor in the sky, the actual ending scene, and Cloud and Tifa reconstructing his self in the livestream. The latter especially is the most important scene in the game just thematically speaking with what it's saying about Cloud

AC didn't retcon Cloud's character. Cloud has a terminal illness, distances himself from his family because of it (while he desperately searches for a cure for Denzel) and then his PTSD and survivor's guilt comes crawling back. Those aren't things that just go away, especially with how young Cloud still is. Tifa reconstructing Cloud was about his psyche/personality but that doesn't suddenly fix all the things he's experienced. AC has its problems but I never felt like they wrote Cloud that much out of character so much as Nojima took a very realistic approach (as much as an FF can) to problems he'd be facing. He even has an arc where he decides to forgive himself finally and returns to his family.

I think the issue people have with AC Cloud is that a lot of people didn't get any of that and just started rolling with the "emo" Cloud meme.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That has to be how the game starts right? Giving all the people who wonder who the dark haired guy at the end of Part 1 an answer. Also it would just be a great and fun way to start the game.

That whole sequence in the original, allowing you to maul the hell out of everything with Sephiroth in your party was great at showing you why you should be afraid of him. An extended Nibelheim sequence where you get to play as Sephiroth and just roll through everything that ends with Cloud and company at the inn in Kalm would be a great opening.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I think one thing we can say for sure is that Yuffie will not be optional due to how big a deal square made the Midgar-Wutai war in FF7R. She'll probably have a much bigger role to play here.

also Cait Sith won't have his giant moogle :(

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm kind of hoping it feels like FFXV honestly. The roadtrip aspect of that game and hanging out with the boys was great and doing that with the FF7 crew and good combat would be fucking incredible.

I don't really care what they do with the story though. I'm down for both following the events of the original and new shit. I just want to hang out with those characters and finally see Yuffie, Vincent and Cait Sith.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
I share the opinion that the game should cold open with the Nibelheim flashback. After that though my idea is that they drastically revise the order of certain things. Stuff like getting a Chocobo to cross a valley is something I don't think really translates well nowadays in terms of establishing a proper story flow. Thus, I'd move stuff like the Chocobo Ranch into optional side activities. Thus, after Kalm you immediately travel to the mines and then spend a little time traversing the woods where you meet up with Yuffie. You go off on a little side adventure with her but otherwise you head off to Junon Harbor maybe 3 hours into the game.

Yes, my idea even includes pushing locations to a future game. The big reason for this shift is because how I would like Part 2 to work is to go all the way to the crater. Yes, this is a lot of content to cover. However, there's way to get around a lot of it. Once again, some of the stuff on the journey could either be removed to become side activities or be pushed to a Part 3. Is Fort Condor really a necessary place to visit this early on? it served no story purpose in the original until the end so it can easily be pushed aside. Same with stuff like Yuffie's hometown which can be better served in Part 3 as it serves as her coming to terms with her past.

The goal is to structure part 2 as the chapter in which are heroes are put through are repeatedly tested and beaten down until at the end they are at the lowest point possible. A party member dies. Our heroes are out of their element. At the end they eventually lose their leader and we are left with a cliffhanger for the inevitable final part of the story. It just works so well to structure the story this way because ending in a downbeat fashion with a similar type of story throughout mutliple games makes no sense. You don't end with Aerith's death in one game and then end with the group's loss at The Crater another time. These work hand in hand to capture a sense of desperation and serve a second act of the story.

This is done so you can have the third game start off with the search for Cloud and the rest of the crew getting a chance to take center stage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem impossible to have Part 2 cover a massive amount of territory. Look at another modern S-E game, Dragon Quest XI, and how many towns it covers, with reams of story in each, and large swathes of land in between. It's by a different team, but it doesn't seem impossible to push from Kalm (preceded by a Nibelheim cold open) all the way to Cloud falling into the lifestream. So if possible, that would indeed be epic.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I'm personally thinking Yuffie might show up as the princess in the play in Gold Saucer with some sort of amnesia or something like that. Talking about her being an actress who specifically wanted to perform there has to have been for a reason, I think.

Yuffie? I don't remember Yuffie being mentioned at all through Part 1.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Kind of offtopic but, If finish the FF7R, how much would I have to play in the old ff7, to be at the same point in the story.
4-5 hours if you're just playing through like normal. 5-10 if you're the type of player to take your sweet time and check out every single corner.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
super excited for the Gold Saucer. i hope they don't cut any mini-games. i hope they expand on the arcade.
really have no idea what the scope of the game will be

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
I'm expecting a vastly altered/remixed story to accommodate the new gameplay structure.

An open-world game done right sounds great, but I feel like they'll play it safe since Remake was well received.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The area between the sea an the mountain range from Midgar through Kalm, Chocobo Ranch, Swamp, and entrance to Mythril Mines needs to be like the area between the city and crater thing halfway across the map in 15. There needs to be some sort of transition sequence between the field and the "towns". What is on the other side of the mountain range/beyond the sea needs to not be visible/rendered when you are on this chunk of land. Area between Mythrl Mine and Junon is a similar, but entirely separate chunk. And so on.

When you get to Highwind, it only interacts with this scale of map as a stationary object, hovering above the land. When you enter/take off in the Highwind, a new, completely different scale world map is loaded that lets you then see over the mountains that connect the separate chunks of land, and everything overall is rendered in lower detail. Once you choose a place to land, it then switches to the stationary hovering Highwind and you can run around below it like normal. Other vehicles (buggy, Tiny Bronco) only work on the ground level map. Only Highwind works on the "above ground" map.

tldr they need to make DQXI but with bigger separate areas. But also like DQXI the map you are navigating can be completely separate and scaled differently based on the vehicle/context you are in.

And if you can't fly the Highwind then fuck me what is this all even for.

They need to sort out the Highwind situation even if Part II doesn't get that far because (ideally) the Highwind will need to interact with previous content traversed during Part II, and we don't want that area to be completely different the next time around.

Lesser important things:
- Leave the battle system alone, mostly
- Throw the summon system in the garbage, let us equip more than one, no more "VR summon" battles, and let us use them in any battle on the "field" (not towns outside special circumstances)
- More costumes for everyone would be nice
- Don't be afraid to use transitions for areas, we have SSDs now, don't throw ideas in the trash just because it is hard otherwise to piece it all together.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of transitions:

If Aerith dies like in the original, maybe afterward the game can cut straight to the Icicle Inn, so we don't see how they got there on foot. This would spare the devs some work.

A cutscene could show Cloud and friends coming in from the cold and checking in at the front desk. It can be clear they've traveled far, and they're all in poor spirits. At the inn, we could have a cutscene where Cloud tries to process his grief.

...of course, the trick then is to avoid tonal whiplash when you then proceed to snowboard, lol.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's a recurring topic and I'm repeating much of myself from before, but I want to get everyone's updated thoughts on ways they think Part 2 could be adapted. (Also feel free to talk about Part 3!)

I AM SUPER HYPED FOR PART 2.

So, some current thoughts on possible ways to go about said game.

We're going for a road trip vibe here! And I know people will think this is beyond Square's ability, but it's fun to imagine a Part 2 where you get the whole party, and for at least this one game, nobody dies and there are cozy scenes at resorts, campsites, scenic trails, etc.

That way if Aerith dies in Part 3 and your soul is crushed forever, you can forget that game exists and just replay Part 2. :-3

More in a moment, in terms of how this could work with regard to story structure and gameplay growth. But in short, I have envisioned a story tweak that allows for fast travel to prior towns so that you can get extra mileage out of characters who join the party later in the game.

NOW THEN...

- Cold open with playable Nibelheim flashback that explains Sephiroth - the man you will be hunting in Part 2. You can play as an over-powered Sephiroth to relearn the controls. "Tap X to choose Abilities, and use them to one-shot this goddamn dragon." HYPE! This is the spectacular Bombing Run equivalent, culminating in Cloud vs. Sephiroth at the Nibel Reactor after Seph goes crazy, massacres the town, kills Tifa's dad and knocks her out.

- Transition to Kalm, where Cloud is recounting the tale at the inn. Kalm is a cute lil' town, roughly half the size of the Sector 7 slums. Maybe like Ch. 3 in Part 1, you do some mundane quests here, only with each party member as a tutorial for them - including the newly playable Red XIII.

- We have now (re)established Sephiroth and why he's a Bad Dude. The party reflects on what happened at the end of Part 1. They resolve to seek answers in Nibelheim.

- The overworld is actually a series of DQ11-style "wide linear" countryside corridors that lead to focused story chapters at the Chocobo Ranch, Mythril Mines, Junon, Costa del Sol, North Coral, Gold Saucer, Old Coral, Gongaga and Cosmo Canyon.

- There is infrastructure connecting everything by land (roads, etc) but you will often travel off-road. More on why in a moment.

- The explorable areas / assets in the towns could be focused to streamline development. Skyboxes and other tricks could convey scale (i.e. you would see out-of-bounds skyscrapers in the background of Junon, distant theme parks in Gold Saucer, etc).

- The "wide linear" country routes allow you to explore a bit off the beaten path for treasure, grinding, heart-to-heart scenes, scenic views, etc. But they ultimately funnel you to the next story beat. Not truly open world.

- The marshlands could be a setpiece like Part 1's motorcycle, only you're on chocobos fleeing a giant snake! You could then battle the snake when cornered at the entrance to the Mines, fighting it until it slithers in retreat.

- Fort Condor could be located on the road leading out of the Mythril Mines, past the impaled snake. Storywise, the fort is a detour that establishes how there are other resistance groups that oppose Shinra. It could re-litigate why Shinra is bad, and why groups like Avalanche are good. It could reuse assets such as the reactors from Part 1 to streamline development. Just one chapter.

- Yuffie could join at Junon, after being pursued from Kalm where she stole your materia.

- Your save data from Part 1 could determine what materia Yuffie stole. Everyone gets Ifrit (since everyone receives Ifrit in Part 1), but if you got any optional summons in Part 1, there could be quests where you will be able to get them back by tracking down people who bought them from Yuffie.

- Rufus is inaugurated at Junon. His military parade is now a war rally against Wutai. You will see his military mobilizing across the world, forming blockades on the roads - a narrative conceit for, say, going up Mount Coral instead of taking the road around. The parade could also reintroduce the other Shinra execs, and the new war conspiracy.

- The ship lets you talk to each of your party members as they look out at the sea at night. They then battle Jenova Birth in an illusory world unseen to others on the ship.

- Costa del Sol has a swimsuit scene. This is important for story reasons. Yep.

- Cait Sith joins in Gold Saucer. A spy bot disguised as a toy cat, riding atop Shinra armor disguised as a plush moogle. Both were originally created by Scarlet's Advanced Weapons R&D, but discarded and forgotten, only to be secretly salvaged by Reeve.

- The cat's megaphone directs the moogle with coded frequencies, augmenting and amplifying its power.

(The above two points are my attempt to make sense of this beloved but bewildering character, lol)

- Gold Saucer is the Wall Market equivalent, consolidating all of its OG attractions in one glorious chapter. You get your theater play, chocobo races, rollercoaster minigame, fireworks date and Battle Square battles!

- This segues straight into a dusty Wild West showdown in Old Coral where Barret confronts Dyne and clears the party's name. Keep it short and sweet. Get the buggy to cross the desert and river (it's amphibious!) to reach the jungles of Gongaga.

- Remember the goofy-ass tank triceratops? It could be a boss robot at the jungle reactor, emerging from the wreckage. :-o

- Maybe Aerith can remember more about Zack while visiting his hometown.

- Cosmo Canyon would of course have the bonfire scene, but there could be other campsites around the world. As with Ignis in FF15, you could cook meals and make drinks with gathered materials and recipes, giving your team temporary stat boosts and time to banter. Maybe Tifa could do the cooking!

- It might be possible to change the story so that they hit up Rocket Town before Nibelheim, and Cid joins, and the Tiny Bronco is secured - only this time, it can FLY as Part 2's form of fast travel, allowing for return trips to previous areas for optional dungeons (FF15 had 24 of 'em!), where late-game characters can get extra mileage and development.

- The Tiny Bronco could then lose its flight in the ending scenes, and become the watercraft that gets them to Wutai, which could be the opening of Part 3, complete with the start of the war (and fan service cherry blossom festival with Aerith in a kimono because animeeeeee).

- Why go to Wutai in Part 3? In Nibelheim, at the end of Part 2, the party learns of the Black Materia plot from Sephiroth himself. Bugenhagen tells them about the key to the Ancient Temple. Yuffie says this key is a treasure of Wutai. (Rather than Dio having it.)

- The Tiny Bronco could be not-so-tiny now, redesigned with a watertight cargo hold to carry the buggy, explaining how it's available when fast traveling. By late game, the military blockades will have subsided, allowing you to drive freely and take the long way, if you wish, complete with buggy banter (Barret has to pee!).

- A number of summons could be bosses. You could corner Yuffie in the Mythril Mines, only for her to unleash Titan on you. In the Battle Square at Gold Saucer, Dio could pit you against Ramuh. The Turks in the jungles of Gongaga could call forth Odin. (Yuffie sheepishly admits she sold it to them).

- Vincent could appear in the Shinra Mansion at Nibelheim, like before. Since it's a late-game dungeon, he could be non-playable in Part 2 - same with Cid - OR, if the devs can manage it, they could both be playable, and get extra mileage out of the fast-travel dungeons I proposed earlier.

- Dungeons, both required and optional, would usually have predetermined party setups, around which the dungeon is balanced and the character banter is written. Maybe one dungeon is all brawlers, and another is all ranged fighters. This allows for gameplay variety, and focused character bonding.

- But there could also be fights where you access more characters - maybe via a tag system, teamup attacks or assist moves similar to a Vs fighting game.

- Credit to PlanetSmasher for this one, before he shows up in this thread and hates all my other ideas (lol, love you Smashy): The final battle at the Nibel Reactor could feature Sephiroth conjuring an illusory army of loved ones. Cloud fights a demonic vision of his mother; Tifa, her father; Barret, Avalanche; Red, his father; Aerith, Zack; Yuffie, her father; etc.

Seph is all about dat emotional torture, after all - it's how he tricks the good guys into bringing his real body the Black Materia.

Just some ideas! What are yours? How do you think they might adapt and depict things?

Also, HURRY UP SQUARE!

I had the biggest grin on my face reading this :)

FFVIIR-2 is just so full of possibilities right now...and I fucking love it.

It's going to be an unbearable wait for part 2 to hit and I for one am actually glad they decided to split the scope.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I would commit to the idea this is an 'Unknown Journey' a sequel to both FF VII and Remake. The story channels scenes from the original, but goes in a different direction, and reality continues to unravel. For fun, I imagine VII chapters and 2 for the climax/ending. Spoilered it so it doesn't drag the page down.

Final Fantasy VII-2
Rechannel

I. Whispers of the Past

Cloud and Sephiroth travel to Nibelheim, their vehicle stops and they fight a dragon. Sephiroth kills the beast, he meanders off, and experiences a vision. They return to the truck. Specters emerge, they gather around the dragon and revive it. Sephiroth's group arrive at Nibelheim. He anticipates an incident will occur.. a sign of straying from 'Destiny's Course'.

Tifa and Zanqan run into the dragon. Sephiroth kills it with ease, he realises it was the same creature, having survived against all odds. This development leaves the group feeling unsettled. Cloud and Sephiroth pass through Mt. Nibel and inspect the reactor. The Specters appear before Sephiroth, and open the pods. They fight and defeat Hojo's monsters.

At Kalm, Cloud is narrating the events. He realises the Whispers intervened. They left a shroud within his memories, but it was lifted after their defeat. The Whispers were enforcing a heightened set of conditions, and pushing Sephiroth towards where they needed him to be.

Sephiroth enters the manor, the Whispers manipulate the light, and keep him focused. He finds the basement, and searches the library. Sephiroth cuts through the Whispers, as they swarm through the staircase. They provoke him further, he burns down the town, and kills the villagers who stand in his way. At the reactor, Sephiroth opens Jenova's tank, and says he'll destroy the threat to the planet. Cloud finds him on the bridge. Sephiroth speaks incomprehensibly, and says he can sense a calling, that he will join "a great link". Cloud believes he's lost it, and prepares to strike.

The memory ends. Cloud's group head to Nibelheim, looking for answers.

II. Junon on Lockdown

The group journey through the eastern continent. They reach the marshlands, Sephiroth has changed his original path, leaving the monsters to run amok, the Midgar Zolom ambushes the group. A hooded man helps them, he carries a Fusion Sword and tears the beast apart. Aerith recognises him, but she worries her realisation will challenge Cloud's identity. Another Zolom appears, he keeps the monster distracted, allowing them to escape.

At the Mythril Mine, a Shinra brigade is looking for a person who has stolen the huge Materia from Junon, as well as others. The team's ambushed and are hand cuffed with another suspect, Yuffie. They walk through a forest, Yuffie starts a fight with Cloud as a distraction, and steals the keys from a guard. She helps Cloud escape, they fight the guards and free the others. Yuffie joins them.

The group reach Junon, and explore all the levels of the city. They help the residents of Under Junon defeat serpents on the beach. They search Upper Junon, steal disguises and find the schedule for Rufus' parade. They organise a plan to sneak onto his ship.

Rufus' parade begins and Cloud blends in. A group move around the roof tops, and clear the guards, they open a case with a large rifle. Heidegger is frustrated with the crowd control and interrupts Rufus' speech. The sniper misses and the guards help Rufus escape. A member of Avalanche shouts a message and bombs go off. Shinra struggles to enforce a lockdown, Cloud's group reunite at the harbour, and they escape in a different boat. Barret talks about the other Avalanche cell, he's surprised they would attack an area so well defended, and are willing to throw lives away.

III. The Hand of Shinra

On a deck, an occupant roams free. They notice strange robots are being shipped, one of them, Cait Sith approaches them, he improvises a story about how he's a slave who wants to be free, he joins the group.

They arrive and visit the night attractions of Costa Del Sol. A woman escorts Yuffie through the back alleys, and she walks past an unknown group. Zack is with them, he asks Yuffie about materia.

The group reunite and head towards Mt. Corel. They stay at the Gold Saucer. Barret investigates and follows Shinra Agents. They are searching for one of his old associates. In the underbelly, they interrogate Mr Coates, a 'fixer', they reveal they know he's running a racket, but he doesn't give them his clients' location. They leave and continue searching. Barret talks with Mr Coates, he recognizes his Gun arm and gives him a lead. The group follow it to Corel Prison, but it's guarded and Dyne and his followers have captives.

Barret sneaks in and negotiates. Dyne claims he has an ally who has provided weapons for them and information. He brings in a few prisoners who Barret recognizes as Avalanche commanders. Dyne claims they are informants, paid off by Shinra and their faction is compromised. He found them at the Gold Saucer, racketing Gil. Dyne kills one of them, and asks Barret to do the same. "You sold us out, gave up our town. You told me we had to make sacrifices. Now make one more." Barret sees a father, a shinra employee, standing with his children. In order to save them, he kills the commander. A Shinra squad arrive and arrest them.

They rendezvous with another squad. Scarlet and Palmer arrive, they're on their way to inspect an old hangar. A commander tells them the informants are dead, Scarlet is frustrated they've lost track of the cell's activities. Cloud's group rescue Barret, and steal a buggy. A battalion chases them and Scarlet rides a mech. Sephiroth appears, he summons a sand storm, weaved from the same dark energy that courses through Meteor. The vehicles crash. Scarlet loses an arm, the Turks help her but see Sephiroth killing survivors and flee.
Sephiroth's intervention allows Cloud and the others to escape. Sephiroth tells them he has the privilege of choice, he claims the planet devised a cage, to inhibit his Will, and reveals only they were capable of severing the chains. He walks through a mysterious Tear and leaves them. Cloud finds a vehicle that still works.

They rest at Gongaga. Cloud finds Barret looking at the reactor. They experience a vision, Rufus was tasked with overseeing inspections, because his father considered the reactor as a low-priority. The core begins to overload. Rufus orders the workers to retrieve the Materia. He loses communication, and asks his associates to find the Materia. The Whispers push them away, before the reactor explodes. A swarm gathers around Rufus, and alters his memory. The blast reaches them, and interrupts the process. Rufus' memory is left in a muddled state.
Barret tells Aerith about Shinra's cover up. She knew a person who lived here, and the villagers give them permission to salvage. They use a machine arm and remove a source of Mako radiation, the Huge Materia. The Materia's quality is undefined, but Cait Sith offers to store it.

IV. Unbound Spirits

Within the heart of Cosmo Canyon, the Gi Tribe march, and are empowered by 'Chaos' battle cry', howls of a beast echoing from Mt. Nibel. Cloud's group explore the town. The ghosts escape from the cave and break through the gate. The group defeat them. Improbably Seto appears, he says the Gi Tribe used ritualism to conjure him up, as an envoy to negotiate surrender. He encourages them to fight, but the waves keep coming.

They decide to enter the cave and confront the Gi Tribe. Seto can understand them, they see Red XIII as a prince and state their terms. They claim the "Crimson Moon" requires an offering, and it yearns for constant sacrifices. Red XIII rejects their request. He bargains with them; the Canyon will be theirs, but they will not stray beyond.

Outside Seto's statue, Red shares his final words with his father, and hears that he is bound here. They return to the town, and spend their last night. Bugenhagen will help find the villagers a new home. Tifa resides at Starlet Pub, and notices Aerith leave. Tifa follows her and they find a cave leading into the Ancient Forest. Aerith opens up, she knew her fate, but it was no longer set. She hopes to find guidance here, and reconcile these two sides of herself.

Spirits appear, there is a crossing within the forests, for which they watch over, a path meant for the Cetra. They speak to Aerith, and describe how "the roots are weakening", time, reality, what keeps them intact. They conjure up images, these show events from another lifetime. Meteor descended, Holy was cast, in an attempt to destroy it. Aerith guided the Lifestream and the forces collided. Meteor was destroyed and humanity survived. At the point of impact, 'The Fracture' ripped open and it grew unpredictably.

'7 seconds until the end.'

In this fragment of time, it began. Splinter Worlds were born, such as their own. All connected to a single event, when the forces collided and the Fracture was created. They were all facing their end. Tears began to appear. Visions bled through the fabric of their world, remarkable individuals were more perceptive of them. The Whispers gathered, they focused on divergences, but the legion was defeated.
Aerith struggles to take this all in. Tifa describes how she understands it, the planet's defenses kicked in, it was enforcing a cycle, but nothing could be achieved this way. Aerith tells Tifa she's right.

V. Twilight in Nibelheim

In Nibelheim, the group learn a beast was chasing villagers. They head through Mt. Nibel. They defeat the Galian Beast and fight Vincent in his other forms. He calls out Lucrecia's name, and falls down the peak.

They search the manor for information, they read topics such as Jenova's virus. They find Lucrecia's hidden report and learn about a crystal cave. It's an ancient place where one can exile themself from the Lifestream, and to exist between life and death. Aerith believes this ability could give them an advantage over Sephiroth, and she could carve a window outside the perceivable fates.

They rest in town. Cloud hears Sephiroth's voice and meets with him, "Can you see them, the patches in the sky? This won't be resolved with just a sword fight between you and I." Cloud strikes at Sephiroth, shadow creatures rise up and push him back.."And if you should kill me here? I preside within all the worlds, and through an impervious link we share the same visions, the same power, all part of a great engine."

Sephiroth shares a memory from another world, Cloud turns against Aerith, and hands him the Black Materia, the memory ends.

"Through the visions, I have seen beyond the worlds, and there lies the Boundary. In this outer plane, there exists a repository of energy. With this power, I will complete the Engine, heal the fracture and reshape our world. The final reunion will take place, all will join with the Engine, as we become eternal."

Sephiroth passes through a Tear. The group find Cloud, he struggles with discordant memories, and pushes his friends away. Tifa calms him down, and reminds him of the promise they made here.

VI. Spiral of Chaos

They stay at the inn/bar at Rocket Town, and overhear rumours. One of the engineers has left the town, and is performing tests at an air hangar. They question their safety, and hear the site operated under Palmer's aeronautics division, before it was defunded. A drunk Cid talk with Cloud's group and believes they're mercenaries. He offers them a job, but Cloud says they're headed in another direction. They rest at the inn.

Dyne escapes from captivity but Heidegger says they'll track him, and find out where his weapons are coming from.

The next day, Cid tells them he'll help them cross with the Tiny Bronco, and they agree to investigate the site later. They land on a walkway, and explore an old canal system. They reach the lake and find the crystal cave.

Aerith awakens Lucrecia and they come to an understanding. She asks them to save Vincent, and they receive a crystal shard. They return to Mt Nibel, they find Vincent but must fight him again. They defeat his final form. Aerith holds the shard, she begins a process which channels Lucrecia's spirit, and heals Vincent's mind. Vincent says that Sephiroth disturbed the entity within, Chaos.

They travel back but see a squad outside Rocket Town. The towns folk stay indoors. Shinra soldiers are breaking into the rocket, scavenging parts and stealing records. The group fight them to protect the town, Cloud and Cid follow a squad, and enter the rocket. They defeat most of them but a blast knocks Cloud out. Cid tries to seal the entrance deck, and pulls himself to the controls but a cloaked man breaks them. Cid becomes light headed. Sephiroth tells him, "Grant them their devices, what ensues will be their downfall."

A commander receives a call from Hojo, he tells them to use the 'stimulant', but they transform into Jenova mutants. The group fight them. Aerith loses focus, she looks around.. the monsters, the rocket, and she has a vision. She sees a Cetra settlement with a spire. The Cetra observe the stars and a Tear opens, they see a new star emerge. The Calamity, Jenova. Sephiroth walks through the battle. He asks Aerith whether she truly understands, their part in summoning the calamity. "We are all bound together" She says he's just Jenova's weapon, one she was willing to cast aside, to ensure these events would unfold.

Cid wakes up in his house, Shera updates him. The town is safe, the rocket is mostly intact, but a few soldiers escaped. They return to the cave, Lucrecia focuses the power of the crystals. They place the undefined Materia. She offers her spirit, and a synthesis creates the 'Void Materia'. The group travel back down Mt. Nibel, to help Cid with his request.

They encounter the Materia Keeper. They defeat the monster, but it destroys the pipes and they fall. Yuffie uses her Shuriken to stay on a ledge, the monster tries to absorb their Materia, and heal itself but Yuffie finishes it off. She retrieves the Materia, before the group wakes up.

Yuffie meets Zack in Nibelheim. Zack says she made the right call, and insists that Cloud was part of the Soldier unit who raided Wutai. Yuffie says she hopes the ex-Soliders will fight one another. She agrees to give him the Materia and accepts Gil for Wutai. Zack takes them and looks at the Void Materia. Yuffie briefly sees a veil fade and his face looks poisoned. He leaves and joins up with a group from Avalanche.

VII. The Battle at Corel Desert

At Mt. Nibel, the group find bodies from Avalanche soldiers. Another squad ambushes them. They've received a report that Cloud's team is responsible. Barret asks who gave them the command, and they reveal it was Zack Fair. Cloud recognizes the name and loses his composure. The group defeat the soldiers.

They rest in town. A shopkeeper rewards them with Materia, for defeating the Galian Beast earlier on.

Cait Sith prattles on "I've broke my core programming," and that he's picked up signals from the Gold Saucer. Shinra have occupied the place (an operation Reeve disapproves of) They've located an Avalanche cell, and they have a new base at one of the old Corel mines. Rufus is directly involved because of the Junon incident, he observes from a control room and commands his men to use poisonous Mako weapons.
Barret says he doesn't know who Zack is, he suspects there's been a power struggle within Avalanche, and admits he played a part during the incident at Corel Prison. Aerith says she knew Zack but acts coy, she says he worked for Shinra and warns them to be cautious. The group meet with Cid outside Gongaga. They decide to split up and fight on two fronts.

Palmer's team is at the old hangar. He asks for authorization to launch an air strike. Rufus is unsure of the weapons' stability and considers them a last resort.

Cid lands a group on the Gold Saucer and they enter a maintenance shaft. They find the Comms room. Scarlet and the Turks ambush them, she has an augmented arm and says they've found their aircraft. They fight, the turks retreat and take a gondola. Scarlet drops a security key, she swings at Tifa, but she punches Scarlet, and she falls over the edge. They jam Shinra's Comms and leave. Cid leaves the Tiny Bronco behind. They find a hangar bay with Rufus' helicopter, and Tifa uses the key to open the hatch. They take off and Cid shoots down equipment at Palmer's outpost.

Yuffie sneaks through a tunnel network, and tails Zack's group. He orders them to load Materia onto a train and leaves. Yuffie uses darts on them and reclaims the Materia.

Cloud's group head towards the battlefield, they find bodies covered with claw marks. Shinra attacks them and target Red XIII. Cloud's group defeat them, they see Avalanche troops board a train and follow them. Zack fires a Mako weapon, which is harnessing Materia, he devastates Shinra's forces. Cloud's team fight their way through the train. Aerith reassures Cloud, "That's not him.." Yuffie returns their Materia and uses the Void Materia, they see Zack has a strain of the Jenova virus. The group share a realization.. they had unfinished history, people they lost, weaknesses that could be exploited. Zack, Seto and Dyne all had the Virus, they were manipulating them and inciting chaos.

Zack's allies join him, and a battle begins. Zack provokes Cloud, but he loses control of the Fusion Sword, and it crashes through the machinery. He pulls out an Auxiliary Sword. Cloud knocks the blade aside, and defeats him. Cloud's allies subdue the rest of them.
They find an armoured truck nearby. The group escape and break through Palmer's group. They drive past a harrowing battlefield, one with no victors. At Gongaga, they wait for the rest of the team. Aerith questions whether she was mistaken, in believing Sephiroth was the most dangerous threat to the planet.

Finale

1. The Engine of Creation

They return to Nibel Reactor, and place the infected in empty pods. Cloud says he must defeat Sephiroth and destroy his 'Engine'. Vincent says he's not seen this virus before, and speculates it may affect those who have been immune to Jenova's corruption. The group agree to part ways. Cloud equips the smaller, auxiliary blade, and uses the Void Materia, his body crystallizes and he enters the Lifestream. Cloud hears the cries of the planet, becoming louder.. Lucrecia appears and guides him through.

Aerith mentions a lake where she can feel those who have passed through the Lifestream. They follow her to the Ancient Forest, and the spirits open a crossing. They head through and reach the Sleeping Forest

Cloud awakens and reaches a shore. He climbs up and finds the original Masamune, buried within the heart of a whirlwind. Sephiroth was there, many years ago.. as a husk, clinging on to life until he could reconstruct himself. Cloud remembers, when he pushed back against Sephiroth who was wielding the sword. Cloud feels empowered and lifts it. He fights through the descent, as his memories begin to recollate. He tries to destroy a barrier but Jenova ambushes him.

Aerith's group reach the city. Sephiroth has left the temple in ruins. They see a Tear above them, Aerith seals it and a strong force clears the path. They explore the temple and find the lake. The devastation has reached the lower chambers. Aerith prays, she calls for the White Materia but the process is unstable. The Materia appears in a weakened state.

Cloud defeats Jenova, and the creature falls through the barrier. Cloud enters the reunion cave, he sees a cocoon. Sephiroth's body was reforming, and converging with its missing fragments. Cloud charges an attack, Blade Beam, and unleashes shock waves. The roots collapse, which leaves the cocoon in a suspended, vulnerable state. Sephiroth awakes. Cloud swings the Masamune but a barrage of roots push him back. They wrap around Cloud and trap him, he drops the sword, which falls beneath the roots.

Mako energy flows through the roots and into the Engine. They serve as a link, Cloud appears in a meta psychical realm. The Engine has a reaction and correlates memories with him. Cloud sees how Sephiroth passed through the Tears and crossed between worlds. He stabbed Zack, and subjected him to the virus, as well as others. In another memory, Cloud sees Hojo ordering his staff, they fire rockets through a Tear, ripping it further. Sephiroth gives him resources, the Black Materia and the Huge Materias, Cloud is surprised to see this alliance. Hojo had learnt about the Fracture, because of the Whisper swarm. Before Cloud can find out more, the memory collapses.

Cloud finds Sephiroth, he's overwhelmed by shadows, remnants of the Whispers, fused with Sephiroth's consciousness. He explains to Cloud that he must join willingly. He sent "emissaries" to guide them, and "to demonstrate the futility" of their actions. He promises Cloud a new purpose, to become "one of them, a shadow, an Eternal Guardian"..

In the ruins, Aerith channels with the spirits. She harnesses the White Materia, and its power strengthens the process. She creates a link, with Cloud serving as an 'anchor'. He sees a glimmer of Holy, light emerges and pushes through the shadows. Sephiroth's hold is weakened, the group appear within the Engine, and they fight alongside Cloud. They battle Sephiroth in reimagined forms. He uses Destruction Magic to reshape their surroundings, which forces the party to split up. They unite and fight his second form.

A group enter the city, the cloaked followers, and they break up the team. Cloud enters a memory of Nibelheim. He finds Sephiroth, who had fought with the Whispers, "Run Cloud... Run away" he repeats. They battle, as the town burns around them. Cloud asserts his will over the Engine, Zack joins the battle and they defeat him. The memory repeats, and the Engine is overwhelmed.

2. Ending - Aerith's Calling

The Forgotten Capital, the group pull together and a battle begins. Sephiroth's followers share his power, proving a match for them. One of them morphs and becomes Sephiroth's avatar, intending to kill Aerith and prevent her from creating another link. She tries to rechannel with the spirits. At the Northern Cave, Cloud hears her voice.

~ A Remix of 'Hollow' plays ~

The group is overwhelmed. Cloud wakes up, he senses Aerith is in danger, and pushes himself free. The Mako roots are healing Sephiroth, Cloud retrieves the blade and cuts through them, again and again, they knock him down and he struggles to get back up. Sephiroth's host walks through the ruins and closes in.

~ The sounds become garbled.. the words are indiscernible. ~

Sephiroth draws the Masamume, its spectral counterpart.

"I'll always find you, I see all your patterns."
"That's all you'll ever see. Where we stand, where we fall.. we are more."
"You chose this."

~ The Track ends ~

He pushes the blade through her. Blood spills, Cloud pierces Sephiroth with the Masamune. His avatar is incorporeal, and his sword phases out, "No.. we are all bound together." Aerith watches, in silent resolve, as he fades away. Her decision, made a long time ago, had come to fruition.

Sephiroth's plan to "defy destiny" had resulted in his early demise. The Engine is unstable and collapses, all his manifestations are wiped out in a chain reaction. The cloaked followers have a melt down and fade away.

Tifa finds Aerith unharmed, and the group head back to Nibelheim. They find the pods have opened, and reunions take place. Aerith learns they had not fully assimilated with the Engine, and the virus had stifled the process. The hosts begin to recover, because the virus could not survive within these extraneous conditions.

Red XIII connects with his father. Vincent offers to help retake Cosmo Canyon, "when the crimson moon appears..."

Zack and Aerith reunite outside the Mako Fountain. He senses an unknown place, a force reaching out. 'Destiny's Crossroads' Aerith understands, and he agrees to stay with them. Zack says he defied the odds once already, escaped from one prison, and will choose his own fate.

In the chamber, Dyne tells Barret he feels the Lifestream and can sense the peace within. He passes on before his body can be healed. Barret forgives him.

Tifa sits on the well, she gets a signal for Cloud's phone. He's at the Great Glacier. The blizzards have interfered with the signal, and he must find his way back. The two talk and Cloud begins to open up. Zack returns to the reactor, he unlocks a storage tube, and takes out the Buster Sword, he heads out and plans to return the sword to its owner.

Aerith is drawn to the Sleeping Forest. With Sephiroth gone, she feels uncertain, and questions her purpose within the great flow of the planet. Aerith sees her reflection, an echo from another life, "Now all the pieces are in place, to unlock the final path." The Fracture remained, but there may be hope. Her reflection fades, a light breaks through, it shines towards the end of the passage. Aerith turns away, takes a step forward and smiles.

'A New Ending Will Be Written'

Credits

Mid/Post Credits Scenes

In Midgar.. Hojo activates a weapon, which harnesses Sephiroth's Materia. A beam fires through the Tear, summoning Meteor. Its destructive magic rips open the Boundary. An entity reveals itself, the origin of the Calamity and Jenova's true form.

In the north, Cloud hears the roars of the Weapons and they approach. A Cetra walks through a tear. She tells Cloud the Calamity will return, and asks him to follow her.

DLC Prequel - A preview of Wutai Country, expanding on Yuffie and Zack's back stories.

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Well tbh I think Ever Crisis is Part 2, so I'm expecting that the Kalm flashback is actually an entire game basically. Part 2 is a prequel, but we play as Zack, or something. This all fits imo though because the first game ended on such a weird note with the Zack stuff. The new trademark, what we know about games with 'Crisis' in the title and the ending of VIIR make me fairly convinced of this.

Definitely not expecting Part 2 to be the second half of disc 1 now.