• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking back, I can't believe they announced Yakuza x Fist of the North Star, Kiwami 2 and the untitled Ichiban game all on the same day.

Am I even remembering that right?
Yeah, your right. They also announced RGG Online at this point in time as well. It was a pretty awesome day. Pretty much one of the best "conferences" of the year for me. With only ironically enough the Mega Man stream coming close in terms of impact (I had no expectations of that and got Mega Man 11 which makes me so happy!)

I don't have this item myself but チャンピオンの指輪 might be the one for you.
チャンピオンの指輪: 敵の立ち回りが強くなる (enemies get tougher)

Awesome, thanks for the help. I'll start looking for that now, any idea on where this might be obtained (as I've not found anywhere that sells this yet, might have missed it though).
*edit* Found it, you need to win one of the last arena battles. So that'll take a little while for me then!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
As some of you guys may know, in a couple of days I'll be gone for a while (around 2 months).

It's not that long, so I don't wanna make a big deal out of it, but I had to make something a bit special for this nonetheless. So here, enjoy and goodbye for now my kyodais.

https://streamable.com/97gfk

convo

Oct 25, 2017
As some of you guys may know, in a couple of days I'll be gone for a while (around 2 months).

It's not that long, so I don't wanna make a big deal out of it, but I had to make something a bit special for this nonetheless. So here, enjoy and goodbye for now my kyodais.

Hopefully people won't wonder if you got burned for the DMC thread already :P, be sure to be there when the shit hits the fan by then.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017

Whatever the reason is you have to go away for a while: best of luck! Stay healthy and take care! :)

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
"Since there are amulets that exhibit effects useful outside of battle, be sure to gradually collect them all."

Charismatic Amulet confirmed?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully :) I've almost got me my champions ring in Kiwami 2, be interesting to see how much more aggressive/tough enemies become. Its nice to have the options, as I feel otherwise the games are a bit too easy so I appreciate being able to use items to up the challenge.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
After a long break I started Y5 a few days ago. I'm starting to force myself to continue playing. Everything is so slow and filled with pointless filler content. Kiryu's chapter was slow but the ending was really good and proved that he's still the boss. After that back to slow pacing. The prison doesn't bother me that much but the filler content does. I'm sure after Saejima's story it's back to slow introduction. Honestly if this was the last Yakuza game I would have dropped it.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers for the
LAU KA LONG
fight but this is probably the pinnacle of where this game's combat system has been brought to
https://youtu.be/9hwQISisH58?t=1m42s.
His videos are probably the best someone can be at Yakuza games in general. It will be different going forward with 6 and Kiwami 2's combat which will be their own quirky thing but we didn't get to Zero's style system without all the other games that came before it. That said Kiwami 2 shaped up to be a pretty nice update to the dragon engine.
Fist of the North Star seems to carry on the same fire of the old engine, that thing will be nuts.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers for the
LAU KA LONG
fight but this is probably the pinnacle of where this game's combat system has been brought to
https://youtu.be/9hwQISisH58?t=1m42s.
His videos are probably the best someone can be at Yakuza games in general. It will be different going forward with 6 and Kiwami 2's combat which will be their own quirky thing but we didn't get to Zero's style system without all the other games that came before it. That said Kiwami 2 shaped up to be a pretty nice update to the dragon engine.
Fist of the North Star seems to carry on the same fire of the old engine, that thing will be nuts.
I always enjoyed his boss fights in the series, and yeah thanks to the 4 styles of 0/Kiwami it does make certain bosses in Kiwami feel really, really fun to refight compared to the original game.
Shimano's second fight especially, as I had all 4 styles fully powered up with tons of cool counters and heat moves, it was so much fun!
but Kiwami 2's combat is getting real good now I have most of the moves (still short a few for maximum effect).

Makaveli

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Finished Kiwami 2. God the ending is so wonderful, last fight was every bit as beautiful as I hoped and its amazing how cinematic the graphics are.

So yeah, def worth the import. The people who got to experience this blind are really in for a treat, great remake.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Kiwami 2. God the ending is so wonderful, last fight was every bit as beautiful as I hoped and its amazing how cinematic the graphics are.

So yeah, def worth the import. The people who got to experience this blind are really in for a treat, great remake.

Some people who really liked Yakuza 2 are a bit upset about music choices in other scenes and a smaller side-area not making it into this remake, HyperBitHero specifically. They are perhaps a bit too hard on it for not getting every detail in but also getting upset about a few posters in the arcade showing VF6 in a 2006 game is taking it to extremes.The pissing mini-game in real life wasn't a thing until 2010 either so i can't really take this tantrum too seriously even though i liked his Y0 video a whole lot. I have to weigh the dozens of OGs getting so mad that they won't buy a localized Yakuza game and the thousands of newcomers who will love the additional hijinks at the cabaret club in favor of growing the fan base.
Perhaps it won't meet the quality standards of people who want a 100% authentic experience. In a case of reverse-bad luck the licensed songs they don't like won't make it overseas anyway.
I personally won't take this GOOD FORTUNE of getting a bunch of Yakuza games localized for granted, the notion of not supporting this immensely fun game franchise for me is not an option.
That particular subset of people of Yakuza fans who are this callous about changes aren't really helping in my opinion.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Hokuto ga gotoku trial event reports
http://www.4gamer.net/games/392/G039268/20171223006/
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/653/1653669/
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201712/23148829.html

And as always, PS4 Hokuto ga gotoku model will be released
1200_540_hokuto-ga-gotoku_mainvisual.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
So great to see the promo ramping up for Hokuto. As much as I've enjoyed Kiwami 2 I really can't wait to get stuck into a brand new game :)

Some people who really liked Yakuza 2 are a bit upset about music choices in other scenes and a smaller side-area not making it into this remake, HyperBitHero specifically. They are perhaps a bit too hard on it for not getting every detail in but also getting upset about a few posters in the arcade showing VF6 in a 2006 game is taking it to extremes.The pissing mini-game in real life wasn't a thing until 2010 either so i can't really take this tantrum too seriously even though i liked his Y0 video a whole lot. I have to weigh the dozens of OGs getting so mad that they won't buy a localized Yakuza game and the thousands of newcomers who will love the additional hijinks at the cabaret club in favor of growing the fan base.
Perhaps it won't meet the quality standards of people who want a 100% authentic experience. In a case of reverse-bad luck the licensed songs they don't like won't make it overseas anyway.
I personally won't take this GOOD FORTUNE of getting a bunch of Yakuza games localized for granted, the notion of not supporting this immensely fun game franchise for me is not an option.
That particular subset of people of Yakuza fans who are this callous about changes aren't really helping in my opinion.

Agree 1000% with this part. I love HyperbitHero's vids on the series, but I can't agree with some of the more hardcore fans opinions that the game is "butchered". I can't help but feel that, bar the musical changes its over reaction (at least, in part). I've put 33 hours into the game so far, I'm still scratching the surface of the game, and in my opinion the game is absolutely brilliant. It looks fantastic, the dragon engine has received a nice upgrade so that it runs better than before, we got all the city back, combat is better, heat moves are more plentiful etc. Its everything I wanted.
Cuts wise yeah I'm a bit disappointed at the music being gone (I don't like it when previous emotional scenes are changed, that's a no-no for me) and I will miss the club Adam stuff but is it a deal breaker? No, since the amount of new content added into the game is nice and plentiful, the Majima stuff is a nice bonus even if its not too long or all that important (honestly its just a nice way to give the Majima fanbase something without doing the Anywhere system again) plus I'm liking the new/tweaked side content added.
I'd certainly never dream of not supporting the franchise over tiny things like this, when its all said and done I'm sure I'll have 100 hours in the game, and another 100 when it gets an English translation, and I'm already hyped for the new releases beyond this.

At this stage I just see it as an alternative version of Yakuza 2 - with some choices for the better and some not so much. I still have my HD remaster on the PS3 should I want to experience the original version, but I can probably see me playing Kiwami 2 more, just for the QoL improvements (side missions can't be failed, random fights don't stop a couple of chapters into the game because you get over leveled quickly, much better graphics/open world to explore, wealth of mini games etc.). This is all my opinion of course, but I do look forward to more new fans actually getting to enjoy Yakuza 2, and not having to play with emulators or dig out a PS2 (or track down a copy of the PS2 game, assuming its still fairly pricey). The negativity on a couple of other forums over the game has pretty much stopped me visiting there. The Sega forums and especially Gamefaqs are so horribly negative these days over the series I actually do wonder why some fans even buy the games, they only ever seem to complain... At least here we can have some lighthearted discussions on the series.

MoosiferX

Oct 27, 2017
Richland, WA
Merry Christmas Yakuza Community! People always talk about Die Hard as their quirky Christmas tradition -- but for me it's not Christmas until I see Saejima wreck some Santa hunters!

saejimagifgif.gif

It's my first full day off since Thanksgiving so I'll be playing Kiwami 2 basically all day. xD Hope you're all able to have a fun and relaxing holiday.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The Seijima/Santa hunter stuff was brilliant in 5. Just another reason why I really liked the character. Really makes me want to replay Y5 again though... and I still have tons of Kiwami 2 left to do as well!

MoosiferX

Oct 27, 2017
Richland, WA
Man that Saejima vs. Car gif loops so well lol

The Seijima/Santa hunter stuff was brilliant in 5. Just another reason why I really liked the character. Really makes me want to replay Y5 again though... and I still have tons of Kiwami 2 left to do as well!

Yeah I'll definitely be revisiting 5 again someday too. It's all still very fresh in my mind though -- which is good with 6 right around the corner! I know and agree with a lot of criticisms of 5 but for me it's like my 2nd or 3rd favorite Yakuza game -- maybe in part because I never thought it'd be released over here. It's more about the journey than the destination in Y5.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Man that Saejima vs. Car gif loops so well lol

Yeah I'll definitely be revisiting 5 again someday too. It's all still very fresh in my mind though -- which is good with 6 right around the corner! I know and agree with a lot of criticisms of 5 but for me it's like my 2nd or 3rd favorite Yakuza game -- maybe in part because I never thought it'd be released over here. It's more about the journey than the destination in Y5.
Yeah, 5 has issues but none that really bothered me, outside of the arena grind being a bit too much. I loved the cities you could explore, I loved the "another drama" stuff, playable Haruka, the hunting and small town atmosphere in Seijima's section and after replaying the game I've come to really appreciate Shinada's section in terms of story and character.

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why wasn't Yakuza 2 released in PS3 in the West? And also I can't seem to find 3 on PSN... What is the best way to catch up to 6 while also enjoying the story of Kiryu after Kiwami 1?

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Why wasn't Yakuza 2 released in PS3 in the West? And also I can't seem to find 3 on PSN... What is the best way to catch up to 6 while also enjoying the story of Kiryu after Kiwami 1?
I ended up emulating 2 on PC, and ordering Yakuza 3 online (it's only available on disc). From there, you can get 4 and 5 on PSN.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Convinced 3 friends to bite the bullet and pick up Yakuza 0 during the sale that was happening recently and they all love it. Feels good man.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Convinced 3 friends to bite the bullet and pick up Yakuza 0 during the sale that was happening recently and they all love it. Feels good man.
Good stuff :) I think Sega really lucked out on this one, getting 0 and Kiwami released back to back which serve as the perfect entry point to the series has definitely helped many people get into the series this year. Be very interesting to see where things go from here next year.

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'll just kick the door in like Kiryu in Yakuza 1 and ask: This is Hana Kanou as your avatar, right? And you used to have Mizuna Rei as your avatar before her, didn't you? They're both my favorites, hehe...

That's right. Current one is from ARM-538.

I still couldn't believe it when Kano Hana came back from her 4 year retirement. (She was active many moons ago as Shizuka Kanno, but quit in, I think, 2012, until she suddenly returned last year.)

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
That's right. Current one is from ARM-538.

I still couldn't believe it when Kano Hana came back from her 4 year retirement. (She was active many moons ago as Shizuka Kanno, but quit in, I think, 2012, until she suddenly returned last year.)

Nice! Yeah I remember her old "stage name". Was surprised to see her doing something new for DOGMA last year. At first I thought that it might've been a one-time only thing, but shortly afterwards she went all in again. And judging from her Twitter she seems to enjoy it lot. Good for her! Would actually be cool if she would be featured in a future Yakuza title, hehe.

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah, but I don't think she's popular enough to be featured in any. 0 had a few lower-tier actresses (Speaking in terms of overall popularity, not necessarily quality.) because they featured so many, but I'm pretty sure that was a one-off kinda thing.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but I don't think she's popular enough to be featured in any. 0 had a few lower-tier actresses (Speaking in terms of overall popularity, not necessarily quality.) because they featured so many, but I'm pretty sure that was a one-off kinda thing.

Yeah, thought so. For 0 they had like this huge fan vote going on if I remember correctly. They really went all in for that one. Maybe if they'd do another fan / popularity vote in the future.

I actually like that the Yakuza series is sorta "embracing and acknowleding" the industry, putting some of the actresses into the games etc. It makes sense thematically, of course. But I doubt many other companies would actually go the way or would want to get associated with the adult entertainment industry like Sega does with the Yakuza games. I wonder how hesitant Sega (or even Sony) was at first, considering how hard the Yakuza devs had to fight to get other "taboo stuff" for the original game approved. Maybe they're even giving them a free hand after the franchise rised in popularity in Japan and throughout Asia. After all Yakuza is one of Sega's biggest and most important franchises in Asia now.

33-Hit-Combo

Oct 30, 2017
How does Kiwami compare with 0 content wise? For some reason I found 0 to feel a bit lacking, did it have as many side missions as the past games? Also, I really fucking miss golfing from Y3!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
How does Kiwami compare with 0 content wise? For some reason I found 0 to feel a bit lacking, did it have as many side missions as the past games? Also, I really fucking miss golfing from Y3!

Kiwami has less content than 0. I think it has less sidequests too, but I'm not quite sure about that since they added a few for the remake (you can easily tell them apart from original game's sidequests, because they're more elaborate, much like the ones you see in 0). It has less mini games too like for example no old Sega arcade games, but they did add Pocket Racing Circuit from 0 as well as an evolution of the underground wrestling mini game called Mesu King (it has a short but fun subplot attached to it).

Yakuza 0 was definitely stacked with content. I wouldn't say it was lacking, not at all.

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah, thought so. For 0 they had like this huge fan vote going on if I remember correctly. They really went all in for that one. Maybe if they'd do another fan / popularity vote in the future.

I actually like that the Yakuza series is sorta "embracing and acknowleding" the industry, putting some of the actresses into the games etc. It makes sense thematically, of course. But I doubt many other companies would actually go the way or would want to get associated with the adult entertainment industry like Sega does with the Yakuza games. I wonder how hesitant Sega (or even Sony) was at first, considering how hard the Yakuza devs had to fight to get other "taboo stuff" for the original game approved. Maybe they're even giving them a free hand after the franchise rised in popularity in Japan and throughout Asia. After all Yakuza is one of Sega's biggest and most important franchises in Asia now.

It probably all came down to the money. With all the SOD advertisements in 0, softcore clips and posters that are literally the actress' face cropped out of a JAV cover, I'm pretty sure all those AV actresses in the game count as product placement and Sega gets a bit of money for that.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
0 isn't lacking in content. Really only 5 trumps it in amount of content and people complained that 5 had too much content! 0 had around 100 odd side stories, which is in the same ball park as everything bar Kiwami 2 and 6 which have less - Kiwami 2 has just shy of 80 though its worth pointing out that Kiwami 2 combines side stories in some instances - like the UFO catcher one goes from 3 side stories to just one longer side story encompassing all the content. 6 only has 50 side stories, but they are fully voiced which was a huge plus for me. Really hope they can come to some sort of compromise for Shin RGG to give us a large number of stories, but at least voice more of them.

Mini game wise 0 had a ton of stuff as well - both in terms of returning stuff and new stuff (like the arcade games, phone mini games, the huge real estate and hostess management missions etc.)

I do miss golf as well though. 3 and Dead Souls did it great, 4 oddly enough felt insanely hard for reasons I can't pin down, I just felt Dead Souls really managed to refine it significantly so it was far easier to play!

33-Hit-Combo

Oct 30, 2017
0 isn't lacking in content. Really only 5 trumps it in amount of content and people complained that 5 had too much content! 0 had around 100 odd side stories, which is in the same ball park as everything bar Kiwami 2 and 6 which have less - Kiwami 2 has just shy of 80 though its worth pointing out that Kiwami 2 combines side stories in some instances - like the UFO catcher one goes from 3 side stories to just one longer side story encompassing all the content. 6 only has 50 side stories, but they are fully voiced which was a huge plus for me. Really hope they can come to some sort of compromise for Shin RGG to give us a large number of stories, but at least voice more of them.

Mini game wise 0 had a ton of stuff as well - both in terms of returning stuff and new stuff (like the arcade games, phone mini games, the huge real estate and hostess management missions etc.)

I do miss golf as well though. 3 and Dead Souls did it great, 4 oddly enough felt insanely hard for reasons I can't pin down, I just felt Dead Souls really managed to refine it significantly so it was far easier to play!

Must be rose tints then! I better get cracking with Kiwami

Makaveli

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
As someone who finished 2 on an emulator recently, I really don't see a lot of the complaints. The area cut was used for like one quest line and was pretty forgettable, it's a bit of a bummer but eh. The music changes were very lame, but the music replacing it isn't thatttt bad.

I never played the side quest that got removed, but at the end of the day I'll take all the upgrades Kiwami 2 provides over the original. Super fun gameplay with a ton of upgrades, no loading screens for shops and resteraunts, awesome dynamic intros, and pretty slick remixes. When this gets translated to english no doubt in my mind that this is THE way to play the second game.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I think I burned myself out on Yakuza 0 again. Started the game after a long break with the intention to finish it. Completed real estate substory instead. In chapter 12 now (Majima) and can't bring myself to play more, haha. I certainly won't finish Majimas cabaret substory and just finish the story. About 50h total playtime until now. Love this game.