• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm not even bothered that Hokuto got delayed slightly. That studio must work themselves into the ground year round making these games (I'm always impressed just how quick they get the games released, even with all the asset reuse in the Yakuza series) so I say take their time. Does make me doubtful over getting another game after Hokuto next year though, makes me think that'll be their one and Shin RGG gets a 2019 release.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
He's talking about the Asian versions which have streaming restrictions for all on PS4.

The localized versions have no such restrictions.

That was a wise decision by Sega, honestly. I strongly believe that Yakuza 0 got so much attention not just because of the positive reviews, but most importantly because of the word-of-mouth recommendations on social media. For example a lot of people shared screenshots and video clips of Yakuza 0 which lead to many replies like "wow, I need this!". Sure, it's hard to measure something like that and it could be just my imagination. But I do think that it did play an important role.

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
That was a wise decision by Sega, honestly. I strongly believe that Yakuza 0 got so much attention not just because of the positive reviews, but most importantly because of the word-of-mouth recommendations on social media. For example a lot of people shared screenshots and video clips of Yakuza 0 which lead to many replies like "wow, I need this!". Sure, it's hard to measure something like that and it could be just my imagination. But I do think that it did play an important role.

It was a wise decision if they removed it from the japanese versions as well but...yeah, Japan is always getting the bad versions :P

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Sega were definitely smart to remove the streaming restrictions for 0 and Kiwami. Just look at the hubbub Persona 5 caused when Atlus/Sega were really heavy handed with streaming/spoilers at release.

YakuzaArk92

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
custom3c4c2eb7866127aa-320x180.png

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I'm not even bothered that Hokuto got delayed slightly. That studio must work themselves into the ground year round making these games (I'm always impressed just how quick they get the games released, even with all the asset reuse in the Yakuza series) so I say take their time. Does make me doubtful over getting another game after Hokuto next year though, makes me think that'll be their one and Shin RGG gets a 2019 release.
The sheer volume of RGG Studio's output is staggering, indeed. I kind of wish they could take more development time per title, and spread things out more.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
End of chapter 14 in Yakuza 0. This game man! A couple of the story reveals were a bit too convenient, but the emotional punch at the end of the chapter was incredible.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

Please don't post spoilers in here. There are many such as myself who haven't played any form of Yakuza 2. Thanks.

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
After 2 Halloweens of 2016 & 2017, I finally Platinumed Yakuza Dead Souls with total of 220 hours.

What a ride & underrated, overlooked, & fun Yakuza spin-off game.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Yakuza 3 spoilers, my thoughts on the game after finishing it.

This one was... kind of a disappointment, to be honest. Loved Rikiya, Mikio, Nakahara, and the Sunshine kids in general as characters, but from a gameplay standpoint, all the orphanage stuff was just no good. It outright shatters the pacing of the game, and brings everything to a screeching halt. I'd say Yuya and Kazuki have overstayed their welcome and continue to be shoehorned into the storyline for whatever reason, and the same with Date and Majima, to an extent (though obviously, Majima is always a fun time). Sayama's departure at the beginning of the game makes little sense from a narrative standpoint, and it kind of hurts Yakuza 2's standing in the overall storyline as a result, imo. On a more positive note, Haruka was great in this. She's getting some solid character development, and is very endearing.

As for the villains... hmm. Mine was kind of cool I guess, but had some very dubious motivations (he's also the third orphan primary antagonist in a row, which will get old if they keep using that backstory). Kanda was just another angry brute again, though he had a great boss fight, so that was fun stuff. Hamazaki... what. Why even use a villain that way?! That was a horrendous ending.

Let me touch on Kashiwagi for a second: They did him raw, man. That wasn't cool. I knew it was coming (Dunkey moronically gave it away during the first 5 seconds of his review, thanks brah), but I didn't expect him to get gunned down like a dog at the Millennium Tower. :( I wish he'd have had a larger role in this, considering his super tiny role in the storylines of 1 and 2. I feel that 0 (and the Nishiki flashbacks of Kiwami) retroactively made him more of a bro and a badass, so I do really hope that someday, RGG Studio can make that 60's / 70's prequel story featuring him and Kazama as playable characters. They're easy protagonist material, and seeing Joji fight like a champ in this just makes me even more curious about the sort of martial artist (and hitman!) a young Shintaro Kazama would've been.

The one thing this game definitely did better than the others (I've played 0, 2, and Kiwami) was the finale gameplay. That hospital sequence was rad, and lots of fun to play through. I also liked the Revelations, since some of them made me laugh my ass off.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 3 spoilers, my thoughts on the game after finishing it.

This one was... kind of a disappointment, to be honest. Loved Rikiya, Mikio, Nakahara, and the Sunshine kids in general as characters, but from a gameplay standpoint, all the orphanage stuff was just no good. It outright shatters the pacing of the game, and brings everything to a screeching halt. I'd say Yuya and Kazuki have overstayed their welcome and continue to be shoehorned into the storyline for whatever reason, and the same with Date and Majima, to an extent (though obviously, Majima is always a fun time). Sayama's departure at the beginning of the game makes little sense from a narrative standpoint, and it kind of hurts Yakuza 2's standing in the overall storyline as a result, imo. On a more positive note, Haruka was great in this. She's getting some solid character development, and is very endearing.

As for the villains... hmm. Mine was kind of cool I guess, but had some very dubious motivations (he's also the third orphan primary antagonist in a row, which will get old if they keep using that backstory). Kanda was just another angry brute again, though he had a great boss fight, so that was fun stuff. Hamazaki... what. Why even use a villain that way?! That was a horrendous ending.

Let me touch on Kashiwagi for a second: They did him raw, man. That wasn't cool. I knew it was coming (Dunkey moronically gave it away during the first 5 seconds of his review, thanks brah), but I didn't expect him to get gunned down like a dog at the Millennium Tower. :( I wish he'd have had a larger role in this, considering his super tiny role in the storylines of 1 and 2. I feel that 0 (and the Nishiki flashbacks of Kiwami) retroactively made him more of a bro and a badass, so I do really hope that someday, RGG Studio can make that 60's / 70's prequel story featuring him and Kazama as playable characters. They're easy protagonist material, and seeing Joji fight like a champ in this just makes me even more curious about the sort of martial artist (and hitman!) a young Shintaro Kazama would've been.

The one thing this game definitely did better than the others (I've played 0, 2, and Kiwami) was the finale gameplay. That hospital sequence was rad, and lots of fun to play through. I also liked the Revelations, since some of them made me laugh my ass off.

Kashiwagi I feel was made to be more cool after he died. 0 does him justice and he's a key plot point in Ishin as well. He definitely deserved better :( I do hope if another flashback game is done they use him, Kazama, Shimano, Sera etc. more as they have been favourites of mine since replaying the games a few times over.

Mine I really liked as a character. I just felt he was cool, though I never figured the orphan perspective until you mentioned it. I liked an awful lot of the boss fights in 3 though - Kanda as you mentioned already was cool. Lau rocked the house (super favourite character of mine, so badass, so sad they offed him :(), Majima as always rocked (and I liked his slightly more serious side in this one, shows a bit of his 0 personality that is fleshed out more in 4 and 5 (only slightly though). Tamashiro? was cool as a plot device, not as a character or anything but for all the Saki related scenes that occur as a result of him being a right dick. And while the plot is silly, I really loved Joji's boss battle (and music). And on the silly note, the whole CIA/Black Monday stuff was just a bit too silly for the series, and that's taking into consideration plot points from 2 or 4 that require a lot of suspension of disbelief.

As for Hamazaki, his story isn't over. I liked him as a character, but again he was under utilised. I'd have preferred he got more screen time in place of the Black Monday stuff. Oh, he totally rocks in Ishin as well :)

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I love Yakuza 3 as well, I never had any problem with the orphanage stuff. I thought that it gave some depth to the characters.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I went back to do some extra stuff in Yakuza 5 before finally being able to get a PlayStation 4 and the newer games.

Should I even bother doing Shinada's rebirth training? This is quite honestly the worst, most annoying fight in the entire series and I already find his plastyle a borderline chore compared to the others. I stopped playing the game for over a year when I saw how bullshit his the rebirth training was with Saejima (which I did beat yesterday), but this is on a different level of garbage. I honestly feel like the devs did not test this fight at all with Shinada or Saejima.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I think in retrospect, I'll grow to appreciate what Yakuza 3 did for the overarching storyline, and Kiryu as a character. Like I said, I really liked that stuff from a characterization perspective, but it was jarring (for me) to go from 3 games of near non-stop drama in Kamurocho and Sotenbori, to half the gameplay being Kiryu wearing a Hawaiian shirt and chasing puppies and little girls through a quaint region of Okinawa. It's the type of thing you look fondly upon in hindsight, more so than immediately after Kiryu and Sayama's experiences in 2. I'm sure that at the time, people thought Kaoru would become a series mainstay, but now I know people say the rest of the games practically act like she never existed. That's rough, and the opening to 3 is still stilted and awkward, in my eyes.

Kashiwagi I feel was made to be more cool after he died. 0 does him justice and he's a key plot point in Ishin as well. He definitely deserved better :( I do hope if another flashback game is done they use him, Kazama, Shimano, Sera etc. more as they have been favourites of mine since replaying the games a few times over.

Mine I really liked as a character. I just felt he was cool, though I never figured the orphan perspective until you mentioned it. I liked an awful lot of the boss fights in 3 though - Kanda as you mentioned already was cool. Lau rocked the house (super favourite character of mine, so badass, so sad they offed him :(), Majima as always rocked (and I liked his slightly more serious side in this one, shows a bit of his 0 personality that is fleshed out more in 4 and 5 (only slightly though). Tamashiro? was cool as a plot device, not as a character or anything but for all the Saki related scenes that occur as a result of him being a right dick. And while the plot is silly, I really loved Joji's boss battle (and music). And on the silly note, the whole CIA/Black Monday stuff was just a bit too silly for the series, and that's taking into consideration plot points from 2 or 4 that require a lot of suspension of disbelief.

As for Hamazaki, his story isn't over. I liked him as a character, but again he was under utilised. I'd have preferred he got more screen time in place of the Black Monday stuff. Oh, he totally rocks in Ishin as well :)
Agreed on Shimano, Sera, and the rest. 0 gave us some seriously good embodiments of the archetypal yakuza, in the Dojima lieutenants, Sagawa, and Nishitani. Seeing more of these scary old-fashioned types climb the ladder and duke it out amongst each other would be grand.

I disliked Lau in this! In my view, he was an old pain in Kiryu's side that needed to be squashed. The boss fight on hard was tedious. I was so glad to see Joji give him his much-deserved bullet in the head. You're right about Majima though, he was used in a more serious way that was a bit reminiscent of his 0 iteration. Tamashiro was, as you suggest, a giant asshole, and welcome second victim to one of Joji's surprise bullets. Worth it for that bullfighting arena sequence, which was damn good. CIA and Black Monday felt like some silliness.

Hearing you mention that several of these characters show up in Ishin is rubbing salt in the wound, lol.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I went back to do some extra stuff in Yakuza 5 before finally being able to get a PlayStation 4 and the newer games.

Should I even bother doing Shinada's rebirth training? This is quite honestly the worst, most annoying fight in the entire series and I already find his plastyle a borderline chore compared to the others. I stopped playing the game for over a year when I saw how bullshit his the rebirth training was with Saejima (which I did beat yesterday), but this is on a different level of garbage. I honestly feel like the devs did not test this fight at all with Shinada or Saejima.

Ah, your trying to do the Komaki X2 fight legit. I did that once, it wasn't pleasant. Here's how to do it without punching a hole in the wall!

First, go to Kamiyama's store, you need to buy some warning signs - I forget if that's their exact name - but the weapon you want is a stop/warning sign like you'd see on roads. Its a one time use weapon (so it breaks after you hit someone with it once) but it inflicts insane damage. I think it can take out either Komaki in 2-3 hits. Buy lots of these and go smack them round the head a few times. I think the same thing works with Amon as well.

Basically this bit was silly of the designers, as was the arena for Akiyama and Shinada (though do remember Shinada has a move where he trades heat for health, which is super useful). The fights are mainly designed for the series heavy hitters (Kiryu and Seijima) so the other two struggle against the toughest opponents. It was my one complaint when 100%ing the game - in that the arena went from a grind to a frustrating grind due to how inbalanced the characters are... Loved the rest of the game though!

And a more general note on the arena - its one of my favourite pieces of content in the series but they really need to give the grinding a rest (or hopefully just stick to the Kiwami method) in terms of unlocking all the matches. In the early days it was just a matter of clearing chapters and clearing arena fights X number of times, then they changed it to a points system which was really bad in 5 and 0 where you needed to grind for ages to unlock the last couple of arena tournaments (ok, didn't need to do it in 0, but they hide a couple of good boss fights in the last arena, so completionists like me want to see said content).
Kiwami actually reduced the grind significantly, 6 got rid of the arena (boo) and Kiwami 2 seems pretty good so far in this regard, so we'll see if they've really fixed things or if it becomes a grind later on in the tournaments...

Making a run on the Platinum in Yakuza 0 -- still have to wrap up a few odds and ends for 100% completion during Premium Adventure naturally, but figured I'd ask ahead of time in case someone here's got pointers to spare.

Any tips on surviving the Legend playthrough? Already at chapter 4 and haven't had much issue thus far, other than needing a health drink or two during the assault on the Dojima office in chapter 1.

Obviously I'm saving cash for necessary upgrades like Heat Retention, Heat Wave, Power Surge, Quickstep improvements, Counters and such, plus extended combo strings and whatever is adjacent to or blocking the unlockable "Master" abilities.

I tend to stay in Brawler style for Kiryu, swapping to Rush for faster more evasive opponents and opting for Beast on tougher ones abusing the "throw loop" after hard knockdowns on heavies and bosses thus far. With Majima, I figure I'll stick with smaller combo strings under Thug, the Square x 3, Triangle "whirling dervish" combo under Breaker to clear crowds and follow up with the classic, yet cheesy Bat Nunchaku Swinging for the heavies and meatier bosses, mixing it up with throws and Breaker spins. Is it worth investing time into RER or CCC this go around or will I make enough money through random street encounters and the occasional scrap with Mr. Shakedown? I've already been blessed enough with Kiryu to luck into a bunch of Ruby Plates from strangers saved on the street, so he's covered for a short time.

Hesitant to self-quote, but any tips? Am I covered? Do I need to sit through the majority of RER and CCC (I actually don't mind CabClub, <3 Yuki) again during a Legend playthrough for cash upgrades + style unlocks? Already in chapter six now, just wanted to know if there's any potential roadblocks or frustrating portions ahead beyond the obvious ones which will not be named due to spoiling new players. I did manage to finally get a chance to see Mr. Shakedown sleeping on a bench for the first time during this go around... heh heh.

Makaveli

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I beat Yakuza 5 a few days ago.

There was a lot I liked, and a lot I didn't like. So may cool moments, the intro with Daigo and Kiryu in the taxis was wonderful, Kiryu fighting just tons and tons of Tojo Clan goons was awesome. Baba, Shinada, and a lot of the other new characters were really cool. I really like the whole plot behind the Yakuza family in Shinadas town, that whole story was really interesting. Plus the fight with Daigo at the end. Saejimas was alright, the hunting stuff really really slogged on though. I thought Haruka's would suck but in hindsight it was pretty alright, the story told was interesting and once Akiyama was brought in it got really great.

Now for what I didn't like. I think the finale bosses were a big step down. Saejimas was good I guess, but it's not like fighting Majima is something new. Babo was lame, not only have we fought him twice before, but it felt completely pointless and just a filler so Shinada could have a boss. I was so tired of seeing that Kanta or w/e fuck that Akiyama fought, so I wasn't pleased with how he was his big bad. Luckily the ending were all the clans bow to him was awesome and that kinda made up for him.

and then...Aizawa. I liked the setting and moment, but I still feel like he leaves a lot to be desired. I feel like Moringa would have been a much better boss in general. I like having 4 different characters, but man with 4 boss battles to do it feels like the final bosses always end up a little eh. Comparing Nishki, Ryuji, and Mine to Munakata and Aizawa shows a pretty huge gap. Just feels like we only saw him.

So yeah, kinda rambling here. I really like the game. I think it has some really really great new characters, but when they all came together it got a little messy. And man I hope Daigo becomes a badass one of these days. Tired of seeing him ending up in the hospital.

Now that I've finished that I've been playing Kiwami 2. So so so so good. All this little stuff makes the game so good. One moment that really hit me was when I was leaving Serena the first time. Being able to walk outside without any loading screen was a real "oh shit" moment. Weapon inventory is awesome too. I'm stocked up on weapons for a good while.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hokuto ga gotoku looks very fun. I think Rin's voice is Haruka.
Yeah, just watched the trailer and I like the look at how fast paced the combat is, plus some of the new activities (making the drinks, healing the people and giving them food really cracked me up). Only pity is that they aren't doing more with the Sega games, falling back again on Super Hang On, Space Harrier and Outrun. All excellent games but there is only one new game included in the mix. That said, seeing Kenshiro blow into the cartridge was a cool moment (even though that's actually more harmful to the cart in the long run!)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ok. For those playing Kiwami 2 at the moment is there any item to increase the difficulty further? I'd like to have some more fun with the combat and make enemies really aggressive, but the charismatic photo seems to only increase the number of fights you get in, not the overall aggressiveness of enemies which is what I really want.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yakuza 0 is on sale for $29.99 at GameStop. I haven't seen it that low since Black Friday. I was going to wait a bit after finishing Kiwami to grab 0 but the price is definitely right. Picking it up later, then I guess it's back to Kamurocho after finishing Horizon.

Romac1314

Nov 6, 2017
Nabbed 0 and Kiwami steelbook on sale, will be my first foray into the Yakuza world. 4 more working days (nights) for me and I get a week off. Looking forward to it!

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think we'll hear about localizing FotNS anytime soon?
I wouldn't expect any announcement until 6 is out and they confirm the Kiwami 2 localization after a month or so. FotNS even got delayed for Japan, right?
Anyone else feel like Yakuza Kiwami's localization is a step down from Zero and its predecessors?
How so? Just my opinion but I felt both 0 and Kiwami were a huge step up in localization quality. Maybe it's just how 0 has better writing in general?

bishopcruz

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else feel like Yakuza Kiwami's localization is a step down from Zero and its predecessors?

From Zero? Yeah, from its predecessors? Harder to say. To be fair Kiwami is still using the Yakuza 1 script as a base, and as such there are far less chances for the nutty embellishments that you can get from Zero.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I actually preferred Kiwami's translation compared to 0's. Some of 0's translation didn't sit well with me - felt to... modern. Some of the slang and phrases chucked out did not sound like something said in '80s Japan by gangsters. More like something a teenager would say in this day and age (talking mostly about side content dialogue here, main story was excellent). Kiwami just felt more in line with what I would expect from a Yakuza translation, I thought it was excellent. That's just me though.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Ok. For those playing Kiwami 2 at the moment is there any item to increase the difficulty further? I'd like to have some more fun with the combat and make enemies really aggressive, but the charismatic photo seems to only increase the number of fights you get in, not the overall aggressiveness of enemies which is what I really want.
I don't have this item myself but チャンピオンの指輪 might be the one for you.
チャンピオンの指輪: 敵の立ち回りが強くなる (enemies get tougher)

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thinking back, I can't believe they announced Yakuza x Fist of the North Star, Kiwami 2 and the untitled Ichiban game all on the same day.

Am I even remembering that right?