Xbox Series X pro in 2024 or Next gen Xbox 1-2 years early (2026) ?

• Xbox Series X pro in 2024

• Next gen Xbox 1-2 years early (2026)

• Standard Next Gen release cycle (2028)

Results are only viewable after voting.

GamerEDM

May 7, 2020
which do you think is better?

Edit: Next gen early 1-2 years i meant 2026/2027

Last edited:

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
Right now I don't see the need of a more powerful console just for a better RayTracing or better FSR... but maybe Sony can prove me wrong with PS5 Pro.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Dont think we need one yet. I mean looking at Hellblade 2 we finally see the consoles really being used.
But if they were to release one i would be there. Because i am weak and always want the latest.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
I literally just got a Series X so hopefully they won't be doing a pro console next year lol.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given how they said they won't make a Pro console and that Series X fullfills that role, there's no option here.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Launching early is a mistake. Six years for a console generation - one that was already basically staggered due to covid - is a bad idea. We are only just now getting consistent next gen games.

I also don't think a ps5 pro is needed but it is what Sony seems to be doing so I believe it would be a mistake for Microsoft not to follow suit. In short, they are in a tricky spot :p

Nov 8, 2017
A pro console is extremely unlikely for 2024, we would have heard some indication of it and it would have appeared in the early 2022 roadmap that leaked. 2025 seems possible if they caught wind of a PS5 Pro when the leaks started happening (or earlier) and decided to push something into production on an accelerated timeframe.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Next year will (hopefully!) be the point where MS start consistently releasing 1st party title so to release a new console in 2026 and start that cycle all over again would be crazy.

OP
OP
GamerEDM

GamerEDM

May 7, 2020
Launching early is a mistake. Six years for a console generation - one that was already basically staggered due to covid - is a bad idea. We are only just now getting consistent next gen games.

I also don't think a ps5 pro is needed but it is what Sony seems to be doing so I believe it would be a mistake for Microsoft not to follow suit. In short, they are in a tricky spot :p
are you calling Xbox 360 a mistake :P

Jun 11, 2023
xbox_hybrid_cloud_3.jpg
Didn't that massive leak already tell us it was coming 2028?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Next-gen baseline in 2026 is too soon if they are basing themselves on AMD. They need more time to somewhat match Nvidia.

Maybe skip the S-console next-time and let Cloud Streaming be your budget-option.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I prefer shorter console cycles with actual generation shifts over protracting them with new hardware but also supporting the weaker hardware. It's always the worst of both worlds where both sides get hamstrung by the other. For xbox especially I don't think they can support XSS together with XSX2, so a shorter cycle would be preferable.

But in what's best for Xbox I would pick neither. XSX is already a more powerful console than PS5, but they have hardly showed it (FH5 notwithstanding), because Xbox games don't really get the budget to flex it to the fullest. I think it's more important that they grow their Gamepass userbase with a cheaper version of the XSX than continue to chase TFLOPs that are subsequently not used.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
2026 would be too early for next gen and with how long it takes to make a game now, an upgraded Series X wouldn't have much time to get support, before the next generation begins.

It would likely happen in 2025, if they did one (they won't), leaving three years before next gen. That's where the Series consoles and PS5 are now.

Feel you got full support and value from PS5 and Series S/X already and ready to upgrade this christmas? That's how much time a Pro console would have before next gen, if launched in 2025. Many developers still haven't released games for them yet.

So both the scenarios aren't happening, neither in 2024 or 2025. They stated as much about the upgraded console.

Last edited:

The Dave

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 16, 2023
I think they should launch before Sony though, so March 2028. Get away from the comparisons and the wars etc.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
are you calling Xbox 360 a mistake :P

Nah, the original xbox didn't do great sales wise, it sold something like 24 million? The current Xbox has probably already surpassed that. Releasing early at the same time as the original Ps3 date. Tech had improved a lot as well, with HD and the continual improvement on their store.

It just wouldnt be as big a leap, so it is harder to justify to 50 million plus people that cutting the Gen early makes sense so people can run it in 8k and have better load times.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
I would like a shorter circle. The current consoles simply doesn't seem to adapt as good as the last Gen over time.
In some ways they are already steaming out of all holes with games having to scale back in graphical quality or performance, with certain games not only having to go back to 30fps but also having low resolution (or terrible upscaling) as well.
98% of Indie games also forgot that they could use the 120fps capability of these consoles more, or maybe that's also a technical limitation and all in all everything together is a huge reason why they are collecting dusts in our household since we got our gaming PC a few months ago.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Anybody else feels like we are gonna have longer console generations, because developing games just takes so much longer now?

2028 or 2029 for next gen

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
outdated leak; it also told us Dishonored 3 was in development but it turns out Arkan lyon was actually working on Blade

The Bethesda leak is older than the console roadmap leak, no?

Either way, they should have had a pro console, but with the Series S it's a tough sell to devs that they have to optimize for 3 Xbox consoles going forward.

So next gen at 2028 is their best choice.

I don't see how a 6 year life-cycle would be precieved positively when the first half the gen was struggling with corona delays and supply constraints. This Gen needs to be longer, not shorter.

OP
OP
GamerEDM

GamerEDM

May 7, 2020
The Bethesda leak is older than the console roadmap leak, no?

Either way, they should have had a pro console, but with the Series S it's a tough sell to devs that they have to optimize for 3 Xbox consoles going forward.

So next gen at 2028 is their best choice.

I don't see how a 6 year life-cycle would be precieved positively when the first half the gen was struggling with corona delays and supply constraints. This Gen needs to be longer, not shorter.
you might be right actually... they could be two separate leaks

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Early next gen only means that this gen would have been almost a transition console generation, with PS5 and Series X being the "Pro Pro" consoles from the previous one. And probably that early next gen would be PS5 Pro/Series X Pro gen.

Let the devs cook on current consoles now that we're leaving behind PS4/One based games.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
The trial documents didnt show any middle gen refresh besides a all digital series x with some changes (not specs wise far i remember).

but that was documenta from 2022 i think, maybe something changed by now, who knows.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If they release early does that mean Microsoft would have to support titles across Series S|X and new Xbox for a year or two?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Early next gen only means that this gen would have been almost a transition console generation, with PS5 and Series X being the "Pro Pro" consoles from the previous one. And probably that early next gen would be PS5 Pro/Series X Pro gen.

Let the devs cook on current consoles now that we're leaving behind PS4/One based games.
yeah with seeing hellblade and Avatar i feel we finally starting now and engines are ready for the current gen consoles.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
And just how is Xbox - whose only just started to get on track to release Series X games supposed to get their studios making next gen games in addition/instead of? I swear some of these people saying "go next gen early" dont think...
Games take longer to make. So trying to go next gen early would have Xbox roll back round to "no games, takes time, wait until next year/gen..."

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
I think MS will release the refresh of the Series X next year, offering no real performance boost. Maybe release a Series S slim in 2025/26. They will then release their next gen console around 2028.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I have a hard time believing Xbox wouldn't match Sony with a "pro" console, considering statements Spencer made in the past about the One X and Series X and the idea that Xbox should be 'known' for having the most powerful hardware. However I also can't dispute that there's been no real leaks of reporting to indicate that one is in development yet.

The idea that the Series X IS the pro console has always been farcical spin, possibly because they put themselves in a tough spot with the existence of the Series S, and potentially having to account for three hardware specs if a "pro" model released. The PS5 and Series X are broadly similar in power, and they know that.

For next-gen, I think getting out YEARS early is probably a bad idea, but depending on the technological landscape getting out 6-8 months early might be to their benefit. But 6-8 months can mean a lot for early build costs, and potentially what technologies are available - so you could wind up missing features or hardware your competitor has.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their best strategy would be to have Elder Scrolls VI as a launch title for the next-gen system in 2027/8.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
outdated leak; it also told us Dishonored 3 was in development but it turns out Arkan lyon was actually working on Blade
1) not all of these documents were from the same timeframe, the Dishonored 3 document was from a document when MS were negotiating/buying Zenimax, while the Xbox hardware plan document was much more recent
2) That doesnt mean that they can upschedule the release of their next console by 2 yeard easily. These console development plans takes many years of R&D and such, rushing it out would only lead to issues
3) The jump in 2026 might not be big enough to warrant a new generation hardware, furthermore we are barrely starting to scratch the surface of what is possible on these consoles, some of MS's currently announced projects wont even be out by then, and will likely end up being cross gen, so whats really the gain here?

TimotheusNL

Jun 9, 2023
A next-gen Xbox in 2026 will basically be an Xbox Series X Pro in all but name. No way they are rushing to pull that trigger.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
OK so if they really want to make some ground they need to release a good flow of games this gen but hold some "big" games back for next gen and have a meaningful leg up over Sony (like going with Nvidia instead of AMD). That's asking for a lot...

The Dave

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 16, 2023
It would look like they are quitting this generation if they go next gen in 2026. Consumers would see this and think if you don't have faith then why should I trust your brand

Bansi

Banned
Jul 28, 2023
The early gen is unlikely to happen. Nobody enjoys the idea of buying a console and have it be outdated quickly. The Xbox Series X Pro might be planned in response to Sony's PS5 Pro. I don't think it's a big problem having 3 SKUs on the market. Most multiplat games anyway optimize for PC, and having to optimize for a more powerful console is way easier than doing it for a weaker one like the Series S.

A Pro console could have hardware-accelerated AI for both upscaling and frame gen. Not to mention improved RT. But again, it's very clear that console hardware is no longer as big a priority for Xbox as it is for Sony. So maybe they won't go for a pro console.

It depends on whether they can accelerate Gamepass adoption on PC. The free ad-supported tier planned for India and Africa might do it. A lot of gaming in India is done on phones, and by young people who don't have access to money. Parents look down heavily upon gaming, so kids and teens usually aren't allowed to get gaming consoles (hence the popularity of mobile gaming).

So we have a LOT of young people with smartphones and amazing super-cheap internet (Wifi or 5G). In 2021, PUBG Mobile amassed 34 million players in a week, with 16 million daily active users. Imagine that number added to Gamepass. People might say, but Gamepass is already cheap in India! Why didn't gamers subscribe already? Well, most Indian cards and online pay systems didn't work for Gamepass. You needed a credit card, which VERY few Indians have and use, and certainly teens can't get those. It was just last month that Xbox started allowing people in India to pay for Gamepass with UPI, our popular digital payment system. Also, "free" is a big word in India. When you grow up in a society starved of resources, constantly struggling and fighting for them, "FREE" hits VERY differently than it might hit in a country like Sweden.

And as India prospers, and these kids grow up and start earning, many of them might transition to the paid version.

It's a huge untapped market. I'm excited to see more young games being exposed to the awesome Gamepass library.

OP
OP
GamerEDM

GamerEDM

May 7, 2020
The early gen is unlikely to happen. Nobody enjoys the idea of buying a console and have it be outdated quickly. The Xbox Series X Pro might be planned in response to Sony's PS5 Pro. I don't think it's a big problem having 3 SKUs on the market. Most multiplat games anyway optimize for PC, and having to optimize for a more powerful console is way easier than doing it for a weaker one like the Series S.

A Pro console could have hardware-accelerated AI for both upscaling and frame gen. Not to mention improved RT. But again, it's very clear that console hardware is no longer as big a priority for Xbox as it is for Sony. So maybe they won't go for a pro console.

It depends on whether they can accelerate Gamepass adoption on PC. The free ad-supported tier planned for India and Africa might do it. A lot of gaming in India is done on phones, and by young people who don't have access to money. Parents look down heavily upon gaming, so kids and teens usually aren't allowed to get gaming consoles (hence the popularity of mobile gaming).

So we have a LOT of young people with smartphones and amazing super-cheap internet (Wifi or 5G). In 2021, PUBG Mobile amassed 34 million players in a week, with 16 million daily active users. Imagine that number added to Gamepass. People might say, but Gamepass is already cheap in India! Why didn't gamers subscribe already? Well, most Indian cards and online pay systems didn't work for Gamepass. You needed a credit card, which VERY few Indians have and use, and certainly teens can't get those. It was just last month that Xbox started allowing people in India to pay for Gamepass with UPI, our popular digital payment system. Also, "free" is a big word in India. When you grow up in a society starved of resources, constantly struggling and fighting for them, "FREE" hits VERY differently than it might hit in a country like Sweden.

And as India prospers, and these kids grow up and start earning, many of them might transition to the paid version.

It's a huge untapped market. I'm excited to see more young games being exposed to the awesome Gamepass library.
interesting , thanks for sharing

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Xbox Series Z in 2025, new Xbox gen in 2027/2028.

I doubt they'll let PS5 have a Pro in 2024 an be easily outperformed by Sony for the next 3-4 years.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
I totally expected Microsoft to do iterative generations every four years or so. So I'm confused with what they are doing now, especially considering that Sony is launching a Pro. But I guess they are going to stay with the current lineup until 2028. I don't think it's a good move though.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
I've put 2026 for giggles. I know they won't, but it would be quite disruptive and ensure continuity with back-compat. A way to pull an Xbox360.