G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
My Xbox One keeps having this problem where whenever I press the Guide button, all it does is make the screen slightly darker. It's supposed to bring up the Home Menu so I can move around to other applications but if I want to do that, the only way to do it is to turn off the console and turn it back on again. I can't even access Settings to try a hard reset.

I am not enrolled in the beta program and I do have the latest firmware installed. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm not sure what to do. Please help because this is really inconvenient.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried leaving it unplugged for 15 minutes then powering back up? I've not heard of this problem before but a full system power down is a good place to start.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I encountered the same problem last spring while playing Yooka-Laylee. I pressed the guide, the screen went dark(er), and then it just froze like that. Holding the home button brought up the menu for turning the controller off or the console off, but it wouldn't let me press A to select anything.

When I turned it off, it took forever (20 minutes or more) to actually turn off, and then I had a similar power issue the next time. I did a hard reset, because support had no idea, and then it worked okay. Later on it wouldn't let me download an app -- it'd keep failing -- and I had another issue or two, so I did an exchange and got a 'new' one.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Had this occur yesterday. Held down the home button, shut off the console. Hard reset seems to have fixed it.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I had enrolled in the preview program, but thought I'd signed out of it. I'm pretty sure I had, to be honest, but before this happened a small update downloaded.

OP
OP
G_Shumi

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I really don't want to unplug the system if it's in rest mode. That just sounds too risky. And I can't do a full shutdown since I'm unable to access the Settings Menu otherwise I would. Everything else is running just fine, it's just this one issue.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mine sort of does this, sometimes I get no front end, have to use the home button to launch something. Pretty sure its related to instant on mode.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't want to unplug the system if it's in rest mode. That just sounds too risky. And I can't do a full shutdown since I'm unable to access the Settings Menu otherwise I would. Everything else is running just fine, it's just this one issue.
Is the Power menu not showing up either? Long press guide.

CRiSC0

Oct 27, 2017
If you hold in the actual power button on the console for 5-10 seconds it will completely shut off the console. You will hear it beep multiple times to let you know you did it correctly. This is the same as a reset.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry

Hold the power button down for a while until it turns off. That's probably your only option unless I missed something.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
The Power Menu is showing up but when I power it off, it just goes into rest mode, because that's how I have it set up.
You need to hold (hold is the key, not just quick press) power button on console itself, until console just shuts down. And you don't really have to unplug it, since it shuts down the power supply. Just wait few seconds and power it up again. Then everything should be in order.

OP
OP
G_Shumi

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Pressing down the power button on the console itself, unplugging it, and letting it rest for a few minutes worked! Everything looks like it's back to normal again. Thank you everyone for your help!