• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of churning out titles....

Who's hoping for something today? I get the feeling that nothing is coming

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bummer that the DLC for Mafia 2 is not on sale. Joe's Adventure was pretty decent and you could get the best car in the whole game.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
We'll keep hoping for Ninja Gaiden 2 forever. Ninja Gaiden Black gave me a boost of confidence but it can only last for so long.
I'm really hoping for it too, but I'm hoping even more that if it gets added they fix the issues with that game: The parts with drastic slowdown and the fact that I couldn't play recently it without clearing my 360 hard drive cache to remove the updates because if I updated it when I started it would definitely hard freeze while playing.

Nov 1, 2017
I keep holding out hope for this one of these days:

51oMsNdl99L._SY445_.jpg

It was kind of clunky in places, but it was stylish as hell, and tooling around World War II Paris blowing up Nazis and all their works was a great time.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Don't think we'll get anything today. I mean we got two pretty decent games this week already. Still hoping for more stuff though! MGS HD collection, ninja gaiden 2 and nier in particular.

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
User banned (1 day) : Drive by, non-contributive post that only served to derail the thread and a history of such behavior.
There is only few titles i could play again, but i'm not interested a lot in retro compatibility.
I expect to play new games on new consoles, i don't buy them to play again and again old games or to buy another remaster.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
There is only few titles i could play again, but i'm not interested a lot in retro compatibility.
I expect to play new games on new consoles, i don't buy them to play again and again old games or to buy another remaster.

Cool opinion, but options are super swell as well don't you think?

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
It pretty much is, really. The recompiling of each game's system I/O calls is pretty much done already, it's an automated pipeline now, doesn't require manual input from a dev unless a game was making an extremely obscure/niche call that is unknown or doesn't translate well, and those are rare one-offs. The pipeline itself just churns out games in the entire catalogue automatically, and has been for a long time.

I'm not sure this is the case. Overcoming technical hurdles and optimizations with the emulator was discussed during an interview with the BC lead in one of the Major Nelson podcasts. Sure much of the emulation can be automated but I didn't get the impression that this is a regular occurrence.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for volunteering this information in a retro compatibility thread.

I hope you feel better getting it off your chest and letting us know.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

So you felt the need to come into a BC thread to voice how you don't think BC is important?

The more we move into a digital future, the more important BC is. Hardware eventually dies, so the option to play games you've purchased on future hardware is only a good thing.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Well the thread specifically says "Xbox One Compatibility" but I can see where you got confused

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
This is not related to Xbox only, it apply to PS4 or Nintendo consoles, when got time to play this is new games.
I play old games rarely.

So what does any of this have to do with Xbox BC? Do you even have an Xbox One?

This is equivalent to me going into a Pokemon thread to tell everyone how I don't play Pokemon games.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm looking to get an xbox almost specifically for BC. It sucks not having it on ps4.

How do these games hold up?

Mass effect trilogy
Gears trilogy
Dead space trilogy
Fable trilogy
KOTOR

demi

Oct 27, 2017
The X squeezes out extra performance on BC titles but they run perfectly fine on the S / Original

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Had no idea that this was exactly what I wanted.
Thanks.

I'm having a hard time justifying the price of the x. Any reason not to go with the s?
Depends. If you can afford an X, I say go with an X especially since there should be more 360 games enhanced in the future. However if it's a bit too much for now, you can't go wrong with an S in the meantime especially if you can get a great deal on one.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
VGTech has a lot of comparisons between the consoles if you're looking for more detailed breakdown between them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9raWs2htw4f7slETx4u7mw/videos
Thanks.

I'm having a hard time justifying the price of the x. Any reason not to go with the s
The X squeezes out extra performance on BC titles but they run perfectly fine on the S / Original
Interesting. I didn't expect x to affect BC.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
The thread can also get opinion and people saying why they are not interested in retro.
That is literally antithetical to the premise of the thread, which is to catalog the games that are being brought to the Xbox One Compatibility Program and discuss technical information and what future titles we'd like to see included. Nowhere in the OP does it ask for a discussion on whether BC itself has merit. If you want that debate, you'd get much better traction starting a new thread.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I would get the S and see how you feel about BC, your saves and purchased games transfer over just fine if you decide to get the X

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.

I'm having a hard time justifying the price of the x. Any reason not to go with the s?

Well, if you're mainly getting the console for BC I have to say the X enhancements for those games are nothing short of incredible. The only issue being is how limited the selection is at the moment with only 7 360 games and the 13 OG Xbox titles being enhanced.

18be3ec5-2118-4555-8279-c48d923fb360.PNG

279f45f6-fd30-4a13-a7c3-6eb29a900a3e.PNG

Aside from that you'll still get the baseline X upgrades like 16x filtering for all 360 games and a few more frames per second, in cases where the games still lag behind their target, but they don't compare to that resolution bump.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well, if you're mainly getting the console for BC I have to say the X enhancements for those games are nothing short of incredible. The only issue being is how limited the selection is at the moment with only 7 360 games and the 13 OG Xbox titles being enhanced.

18be3ec5-2118-4555-8279-c48d923fb360.PNG

279f45f6-fd30-4a13-a7c3-6eb29a900a3e.PNG

Aside from that you'll still get the baseline X upgrades like 16x filtering for all 360 games and a few more frames per second, in cases where the games still lag behind their target, but they don't compare to that resolution bump.
I didn't realize there were x upgrades that work across the entirety of BC.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
It also adds 16xAF at a system level to all unenhanced Xbox One, 360, and OG games.

Yeah that as well.

It really is awesome. Take a game like Fable 2. The XB1 can match or slightly improve on the 360 performance, but it's still a bit annoying to me. The 1X though runs it solid as a rock, steady frame rate and visual improvements.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am still hoping for Alan Wake getting the X treatment.

Gears 3 and Mirrors Edge look Next Gen! I am utterly curious to see what games the next wave will bring. I also suspect Mass Effect to be there. (it should)

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see Prey was added! Definitely will replay this one.

I remember loving this game way back. Made some friends puke trying it out haha

It feels really good to see a favourite game added and then to just grab my physical copy off my shelf and get playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.