harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I love all forms of gaming and own an Xbox, PS4 and Switch but for such a low spend on games, I currently have far better value on Xbox versus the others.

The obvious reason would be Game Pass which is insane value for money - a mix of new releases like Crackdown 3, FH4, etc and games such as the Tomb Raider Trilogy and many many others.

EA access is another option that offers a lot of games for a low entry price. This, along with Games with Gold beef up the Game Pass offering and yes they cost money per month, they have so many games that it's totally worth it.

Then you have backwards compatibility with 360/original Xbox games which can often be obtained on the store for a cheap price or stores such as CEX. Sites like Cdkeys tend to have far better Xbox deals as far as I can see and I recently got BF5 for like £17.

I love my PS4 and Switch but the value I get from my Xbox is superb and allows me to try games I'd otherwise never think of buying!

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
You're gonna trigger some people but yeah I agree and I don't even have an xbox, yet

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
I feel you OP. I own all consoles too and Xbox offers the best value indeed. Now give me more Japanese games plays and bring back the 360 days please!

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
CraftyFlakyKodiakbear-small.gif

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, absolutely spoilt for choice on Xbox. I still prefer the individual games on PS4, but you can't argue with the value for money in Game Pass.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'mma stop buying games at this point. Glad I waited on Shadow of the Tomb Raider!

Oct 25, 2017
I agree to be honest thinking about buying two Xbox one x'a for me and the lady so we can play sea of thieves on game pass plus crackdown 3 is a top 10

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Xbox has best hardware, services, value, infrastructure, and controller imo. And with all the new studios working on games, xbox is really gonna be great next gen.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
No mention of PC?

EA access basic/premier, Humble Monthly, cdkeys, greenmangaming etc., Regional pricing, no online fee

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
For consoles, obviously yea. Nothing even comes close.

PC is a better value overall. Games are cheaper and you have an endless "enhanced" BC library of games. I hate how many "free" Xbox things I have to skip because they were made for the shitty OG XB1 specs.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Idk, I think the value on paper is nice. But the quality is very lacking. Or maybe its just not up my alley, but I think Microsofts offering is currently the least enticing by far out of the three console manufacturers.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I would agree. The only issue here is that X1 may not have most expansive library in comparison. And then there are the 1st party exclusives in Sony's and Nintendo's court, which are more numerous.

So if you like Sony and/or Nintendo exclusives and niche Japanese games, you may not find the X1 too big of a value proposition.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The value for money offered by the combination of BC and Game Pass is undeniable a really strong proposition from MS

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer my combo of pc, ps4 and switch but if Microsoft sticks to this value proposition and invests in games for next gen, count me in!

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
People will fuss, but yeah I have the 3 major consoles now and the XB1X is the most played by far at the moment.
BC alone is worth it, as soon as they add more Xbox Originals I will sing to the heavens.

Edit: also Game Pass is overwhelming. So much stuff I don't even know what to play most of the time, can't even install some of them because they are huge anyway and my HDD is full of BC games.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have to agree. I own a Switch, One X, and a Pro and I find it so much easier to not waste money anymore on weekly sales when I can play games on gamepass. I've saved a lot more money after getting gamepass.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting on Xcloud to really blow it out of the water. I hate the wait on downloading games if there is another option.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Yep, gonna make Xbox my main platform next gen because of it TBH
Hell, might even buy an X to play Crackdown 3, was looking sexy at Inside Xbox

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass has great value but it's disappointing they release next to nothing on pc.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly if you don't care about exclusives, Xbox is the best console to get.

Cop a Xbox One X and Game Pass and your straight. Haven't bought any games in a hot min

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From that point of view yes it's exponentially better than either the PS4 or Switch. But if you're in the market for a console out of those 3 and haven't played games before I just couldn't recommend the Xbox One on its own at least despite that. It's basically only got Rare Replay, The Witcher 3, Overwatch, Resident Evil 2 and Inside as far as my absolute favourite games this gen are concerned- I would have to recommend either one alongside it or even over it based off of games lineups rather than value. You miss out on far too much otherwise.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True unfortunately i'm not big on their own games so i don't have an xbox yet, a first since OG xbox actually.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
And none of the worthwhile exclusives.

Game Pass seems like an amazing service, but it doesn't offer hardly any of the games that I REALLY care to play.

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass has a fairly good selection, and GwG offers good games, but the random nature of those offerings (e.g. I'm not picking out the title) makes it hard for me to say it's the best value in gaming when most of my recent gaming money is being spent on something like the Switch where I buy what I need, rather than subscribe to services that may or may not have the games I want.

It happens very little that a game comes out on one of these services that I don't already own, and given their nature of the offerings being selected by subscription providers, that diminishes a lot of their value.

Tomb Raider being on Gamepass holds value. I'll give it a shot. But I wasn't going to get the game anyways. So... there's actually not much value there.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No denying it has the value factor.

But I wouldn't trade the few games I love on Switch or PS4 for all the games on Xbox, including third party stuff.

If someone said "here's a lifetime subscription to Game Pass for free! or you can pay for the new Animal Crossing" I know which one i'd pick.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I think it's a great value if your primary interest is "I want to play the most decent games for the best price". But it's less value if say, you like a lot of the Sony or Nintendo exclusives and find little appeal in most of MS' offerings.

I own all three, and while I absolutely buy multiplat titles on X and love Gamepass for trying random stuff, nothing comes close to the exclusives on other platforms for me in terms of weighting my decision in a world where I could pick only one.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
The PS4 and Switch offer some really great exclusives but so does Xbox (although not the same quantity as Sony I suppose).

What they've been doing with the One S, One X, and especially Game Pass is incredible though.

Next gen is gonna be insane.

OP
OP
harz-marz

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
No denying it has the value factor.

But I wouldn't trade the few games I love on Switch or PS4 for all the games on Xbox, including third party stuff.

If someone said "here's a lifetime subscription to Game Pass for free! or you can pay for the new Animal Crossing" I know which one i'd pick.
I guess I'm lucky to have access to other platforms too but I guess it's all down to personal preference for games.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are gonna trigger like 80% of ERA butis hard to disagree. If next gen they offer great exclusives, which they seem to be well positioned to do so now, then they will become an absolute beast of the industry.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
It does offer some cool things right now yes. But as long as I can play almost everything interesting somewhere else it will continue being the console I'm buying used at the end of the generation for the (very) few games I've missed.

MS seems desperate to improve everything else because most of these things just require money. Game development talent & management is way more complex and they're still struggling with that 3 generations later. Hopefully their agressive investment will bear its fruits for the next gen !

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If you prefer an all you can eat buffet rather than a fancy restaurant, sure. Value depends on taste and priorities, it's subjective.