AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
(Well, yeah the D-Pad could also be better)

But yeah, I tried Cyberpunk on PS5 even though I own it on Series X.... and man, I think I hate rumble now. Other than say, Forza, most of the time it's overdone or just.... abrasive, bland and binary.
While Dual-Sense's haptic triggers are mostly a no-go for me (Ratchet & Clank implemented them well tho finally), the actual haptic motors are the real fucking deal. Subtle yet powerful when they need to be. It makes it impossible to go back to traditional rumble at this point and I find myself mostly always turning it off on my Xbox.

Anyone else feels this way? I really hope MS is working on SOMETHING that's a little more progressive.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Agreed. Form factor, thumb stickers, and button wise I much prefer the Xbox controller to any other controller. However, it needs more advancements.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with you about haptics being the actual game changer with the DualShock 5 and not the gimmicky ass triggers but most games don't bother with a proper implementation cuz it's harder than making shooting guns harder.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I turn rumble off … so I'm not into the other stuff like haptics haha. Also for Xbox I ended up going with a Scuf anyways because I wanted that form factor with the extra goodies.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I like the controller, but as far as Xbox-style goes, Switch is more comfy to me, and has much quieter buttons which I prefer.

Series controllers are too noisy, and I don't like the rough texture on the back.

PS5 controller haptics are neat, but I honestly don't miss them when I play other consoles.

Nu2th15

Mar 5, 2021
I think it was Pat from Castle Super Beast that described it like this, and I agree: The jump from regular rumble to haptic feedback is a bigger improvement than the jump from nothing to regular rumble was.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
No rechargeable battery, no symmetrical sticks, no Gyro, trash d-pad, poor haptics. I wouldn't call it the best controller in existence, I'd call it damn near fifteen years out of date.

Whoever puts back buttons on their default controller is the real winner.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, yeah, I started HFW last night with the PS4 Pro version while the PS5 version was like, "oh yeah, regular rumble is very very bad."

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I did the same and thought the haptic feedback on the Dualsense felt amazing in Cyberpunk. And the game is $5 cheaper than the Xbox version for some reason so I might buy it there. Had the game on Stadia already but don't feel like paying Google for 4K.

The resistant triggers feel awful when driving though. Like the car is fighting against you.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
The Dualsense is my favorite controller of all time now. I prefer the stick placement and dpad as it is. Add in TouchPad, gyro, haptics, resistance triggers, etc and you have something special. Battery life is my only complaint.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Sony and Nintendo both significantly upped their game here, so the Xbox controller's old school rumble does feel pretty outdated.

Still my primary controller for PC gaming (where old rumble is the norm anyway) but I think this is something they'll update by next gen.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I see why people care, but I just don't. I feel like it'll ruin how light the controller currently feels. Would be awesome to have the current and a more "pro" model with more haptics for those that want it.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I really love the layout of the controller but why are the face buttons so damn loud. Click click click click.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Gyro and haptics are some big areas of improvement for the xbox controller. I really hope they get added on a revision and not exclusive to the Elite 3 whenever that happens.

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
No rechargeable battery, no symmetrical sticks, no Gyro, trash d-pad, poor haptics. I wouldn't call it the best controller in existence, I'd call it damn near fifteen years out of date.

Whoever puts back buttons on their default controller is the real winner.
Symmetrical sticks are a step back imo, and I think the d-pad is great, if a little noisy.

(also I prefer the replaceable batteries don't kill me)

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
DualSense is so comfy.

Feels really honed at this point. I can see why Sony has put extra attention towards haptics with the direction they are moving in.

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
It's definitely the most ergonomic and I love being able to swap batteries on the fly. How good it feels in my hands is the reason I buy all multiplatform games on series X. I could honestly care less about them adding haptics though.

Dual sense offered a fun novelty during my initial time with Astros at launch since so many new mechanics were built around it, but doesn't add anything meaningful to me. Other than the whole half/full trigger pull for weapons that a few games have done now the extra vibration just blends into the background for me after 30 minutes with a game as I'm consumed with what's in my eyes and I don't notice or care any more. I also know that the two dual sense controllers I have aren't gonna last very long with all the moving parts and battery life is barely sufficient (thank god I have two). I have 10+ year old Xbox controllers that still work perfectly and last forever with some eneloops.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
+1.

I don't think there is any possible way they aren't already reworking it though, they've mentioned it a few times before and after launch.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More options are always better, but I don't miss what I never had. It's not like PC games would make good use of them anyway.

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
paddles would be nice. no need to be the premium ones like the elite controller, just 2 basic ones will do.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Gyro, paddles, and haptics. Controllers have been too stagnant. We need more than minor ergonomic changes generation to generation.

People against this are actively standing in the way of better controllers. We have not achieved the be all end all of controllers yet. Experimentation and innovation should be encouraged.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
It has the best ergonomics out there as well as button placement... except for the dpad. The dpad itself is fine, but I think it's placed in awkward spot, though I don't know if that can be possibly changed while retaining the asymmetrical analog sticks that I love.

Other than that, yeah, haptics and gyro would be super welcome.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That and gyro controls need to come at the same damn time. The new Xbox controller would be undefeated for me, as it has everything else in my ideal controller.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
After motion control and MORE IMPORTANTLY rechargeable battery,
I really hope they don't do a rechargeable internal battery. I prefer AA where I can throw in my own rechargeable batteries. Gonna be easier way later down the line when those lithium ions die and you won't have to completely open up the controller like I probably will have to with my Elite Series 2.

Hell yes to gyro and better haptics though.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
Using motors for vibration feedback is outdated as hell now. Even in cellphones, going from android to iPhone's taptic engine was night and day.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Haptics are overrated and loose their luster after a few hours. I personally don't really care

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I'm happy with what there is, but it seems that developers don't use any nuance with it. Seems like it's full rumble or nothing. I just want it to be much more quiet.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
More options are always better, but I don't miss what I never had. It's not like PC games would make good use of them anyway.
There's a heck of a better chance of an upgraded xbox controller with haptics getting more support than the Dualsense currently gets on the PC.

Yeah, rumble triggers didn't get much support either, but that was a very minor feature. If there's an upgraded Xbox controller and still works with the wireless USB adapter (big downside to Dualsense is even when there's native support on the PC you have to use it wired to get it), chances are it will get support added to xinput or whatever the current xbox gamepad API is.

Especially if it has gyro control.