Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
While the new Xbox app first debuted as an Electron application, a popular framework for building desktop apps, it now undergoes a shift to React Native as a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app. Microsoft appears to leverage Facebook's open-source framework via the latest Fast Ring release, switching to C++ over .NET.

While the Electron framework is widely adopted for app development, React Native provides a leaner, native experience on Windows. The upshot is decreased memory usage, cut by over 50 percent on our PCs, with significant performance enhancements as a result. The app installation size has also shrunk, from nearly 300MB down to 60MB.

The switch to React Native appears to be limited to the Windows 10 Fast Ring as of publication, likely to expand to additional users with time. If you want to try the current Xbox beta app for yourself, you need to be running the May 2019 Windows 10 update at the very least, with the app available for download here.

www.windowscentral.com

Xbox app for PC gets speed boost, ditching Electron for React Native UWP

Microsoft is parting with Electron for its new Xbox PC app.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
So with it being UWP I'm guessing the Xbox App is no longer cross-platform (has it been prior? w/Linux & OSX, being Electron's strength).

Widely used Electron applications include Github Desktop client, Slack, Discord, Spotify etc. I like it as a platform. And the next version of V8 (JS engine which Electron uses) has 40% less memory footprint.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck UWP, like seriously.
So with it being UWP I'm guessing the Xbox App is no longer cross-platform (has it been prior? w/Linux & OSX, being Electron's strength).

Widely used Electron applications include Github Desktop client, Slack, Discord, Spotify etc. I like it as a platform. And the next version of V8 (JS engine which Electron uses) has 40% less memory footprint.
The Electron version was also UWP if I'm not mistaken.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the app in my experience has been really slow. Hopefully this new one will perform better on my pc.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't understand...I'm currently using the Xbox (beta) app with Windows 10 1909...does that mean I'm getting the new UWP or do I need to be signed up to the latest beta OS Fast Ring build??

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Electron is fun, but now that concept is proofed it's time to get closer to native performance.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Thank you. Electron is horrible and should be given a silent death. :p

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
I thought React Native was for mobile apps?

that's how Facebook built it but they've open sourced it and a bunch of companies are porting it to their own tech as well. Microsoft has a huge RN push themselves and they're shifting a lot of their mobile apps for it

source: I built an RN Xbox app too

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Good.

I really like the design and lay-out of the Xbox app and think it's the most fancy launcher on PC, but the memory footprint was just too much and performance wasn't the best as well. This should be solved now.

Now I still would like to have a dedicated "My Library" tab that displays my installed games with a cool-looking displayed collection / tiles like the bar to the left. My bar is filled with games and all the scrolling can be a bit too much.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. Electron is horrible and should be given a silent death. :p
How dare you!

Electron is amazing! ... for home projects and toying around

I wish react-native-windows project setup was more streamlined... i think they are working on it's user friendliness, but i gave up when i tried it few months ago and it's a bit messy for now.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
The main point about Electron is to easily enable a cross-platform deployable desktop application. And the application itself is written using web-technologies (running on-top of Chromium & NodeJS within Electron) so that work can also be re-used on the actual web.
I'm not really sure why that matters when they only released it as a UWP app on desktop.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
How dare you!

Electron is amazing! ... for home projects and toying around

I wish react-native-windows project setup was more streamlined... i think they are working on it's user friendliness, but i gave up when i tried it few months ago and it's a bit messy for now.

VS Code has been the only Electron app worth its damn. Everything else has been poop. :p At least in my experience. :D

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless they plan to release the app on multiple operating systems like VS Code, I guess it makes sense to abandon the Electron platform.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
The main point about Electron is to easily enable a cross-platform deployable desktop application. And the application itself is written using web-technologies (running on-top of Chromium & NodeJS within Electron) so that work can also be re-used on the actual web.

Good. Electron is fun, but now that concept is proofed it's time to get closer to native performance.

React Native is a web-based technology as well.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
VS Code has been the only Electron app worth its damn. Everything else has been poop. :p At least in my experience. :D
I tried switching from Sublime to VSCode and it was just way too slow, it was actually dropping inputs because I was used to being able to type fast. The RAM usage is absurd for an IDE too. It just feels completely bloated.

Slack is fine in my experience, but I can't think of any other Electron apps that run well.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It's been what, more than a year of this app being in "beta" now? It's still useless trash and sees like 1/3rd of games I've bought in Windows Store. Maybe they should fix this before making anything else.

I also fail to see why we need about five or so different apps for Xbox-things:

Annotation2020040213.png

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
React Native is a web-based technology as well.
React native uses the syntax of React to create a UI. The react compiler/transpiler decides what to do with it. React Native is a very different approach than something that "simply" wraps a website (Electron or Phonegap come to mind).
It also uses Javascript as the programming language of choice, or whatever derivation of Javascript you like.

Google does the same thing with https://flutter.dev
It's not as popular yet though I think, as it uses the Dart language.