• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

As we get ready to share a fantastic lineup of new games for Xbox players at E3 2018, we want to take a moment to thank them for a record-setting start to the year.

Today, we're witnessing a record-setting number of players, playing at record levels, and engaging in new ways. Xbox Live players are up 13 percent and Xbox One sales are up 15 percent over the same period last year, but that's not all.

We're seeing tremendous engagement of mega-hits like Fortnite and Far Cry 5, both of which play best in 4K Ultra HD on Xbox One X, joining the more than 200 games that now feature Xbox One X enhancements.

we're also seeing fantastic engagement with Xbox One console exclusives like Sea of Thieves, the fastest-selling Microsoft Studios new IP of this console generation, and PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, whose new desert-themed map is now available to play on a dedicated test server ahead of its launch in Xbox Game Preview later in May.

Nearly 1 billion hours played on backwards compatible games.

Xbox Game Pass has been a great contributor to growth in players and engagement. With over 100 great games available for one low monthly price and new games added every month, including new games from Microsoft Studios the same day as their global release, Xbox Game Pass is all about introducing you to new genres, franchises, and games. It's been incredible to see the growth in the service and the growth of engagement in franchises made available in Xbox Game Pass. We're next looking forward to bringing State of Decay 2 to Xbox Game Pass members on May 22nd, the same day as its global release, as we continue to work to deliver the ultimate gaming membership for our fans.

It's also been amazing to see what the passionate Mixer community has achieved in such a short period of time. Late last year, Mixer exceeded more than 10 million active users in a month for the first time – a milestone we've since eclipsed, and then some, each month to start 2018.

It's a great time to be a gamer and to be a part of Team Xbox. We're hard at work on exciting plans for E3, from what will be a great briefing filled with new games to the fan experience at the Microsoft Theater. This is our biggest E3 yet, and we look forward to a great week for gamers.

Go to the link for other records such as how many friendships were made, how many clubs there are and how much players spent playing indie games, etc.

TL;DR: Microsoft broke a lot of records in 2018 so far.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Cool. Three more weeks before we can finally see what they consider "a great briefing filled with new games".

Ole No Bones

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Alright MS, lets have a record breaking number of AAA exclusive announcements to your platform at E3 2018.

I'm super skeptical. Prove me wrong.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what they might choose to show. So I know that Microsoft Game Studios within the last year got a lot more power within the company of Microsoft, they've been allowed more freedom to make bigger choices and manage themselves after years of business peeps at Microsoft (regular) not super involved in the gaming scene making the big decisions. And in the last year they've been doing some huge renovations, expanding, and planning for their future and putting things into action. But I'd think a lot of what they're doing wouldn't really be showable until at least another year or two down the line, and frankly I don't know the specifics of what projects they're working on, so I am deeply interested in what they're deciding to share come this E3.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for this year's e3. Few titles I want to see from certain devs that made great games.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Dark horse prediction: Phantom Dust remake has been in production for over a year and will get a gameplay trailer and release date.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I'm not always happy with what MS's shenanigans but their backwards compatibility has been awesome, especially now that game of the generation Saints Row 2 has been added.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised by their E3 this year but I'm trying not to get my expectations up too much. Mostly I want to see this new rumored Fable game.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
I, for one, cannot wait to this year's E3, we have mature platforms on the market (I mean all of them) so I feel like this is the right time of delivering some unique games to all platforms. I can just feel it, first time being in this community while E3 is going to be glorious : )

BillyMays

Banned
Mar 15, 2018
God I am tired of PR talk from companies

Just shut up until you got something real to say or show.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious what they might choose to show. So I know that Microsoft Game Studios within the last year got a lot more power within the company of Microsoft, they've been allowed more freedom to make bigger choices and manage themselves after years of business peeps at Microsoft (regular) not super involved in the gaming scene making the big decisions. And in the last year they've been doing some huge renovations, expanding, and planning for their future and putting things into action. But I'd think a lot of what they're doing wouldn't really be showable until at least another year or two down the line, and frankly I don't know the specifics of what projects they're working on, so I am deeply interested in what they're deciding to share come this E3.

My fear is that they'll be so motivated to have a particularly broad showing that some projects will get a reveal trailer earlier than might normally be considered, in a way that might lead to volatility in development. 2017 was thin enough that I'd bet internal voices are going to be out to prove those efforts in ways they traditionally wouldn't. Normally, I consider the obvious catch-22 of "big recurring games don't count, and smaller/unproven games also don't count" in message-board discourse as something that can be laughed off (assuming the overall business is working out), but last year had enough delays and cancellations to raise eyebrows all around.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Even when they give (more or less) concrete data about sales and/or suscriptions, they do flamboyant PR talk about Xbox Live friends, and how many clubs they have on XBL. I love these guys (and girls) :_

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I guess we'll see if their definition of fantastic lineup matches my expectations.

I hope it does. If they don't show a sizeable amount of games it'll mean they've been sitting around doing relatively little for the first 4 years of the Age of Spencer (TM).
Halo 6, Gears 5, Forza 6.

You can't beat that.
This definitely wouldn't do it for me.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox is really pushing hard this E3 by making claims it will be their biggest one yet. Can't wait to see it.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty amazing how much it's grown. It's such a great console, games, and services.

Can't be beat.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I feel like we go through this Xbox E3 hype cycle every year since 2013 and aside from 2014 (which is a whole other issue), they have constantly disappointed.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
"Nearly 1 billion hours played on backwards compatible games."

You're welcome, I think i contributed alot to this :D

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Xbox Game Pass has been a great contributor to growth in players and engagement. With over 100 great games available for one low monthly price and new games added every month, including new games from Microsoft Studios the same day as their global release, Xbox Game Pass is all about introducing you to new genres, franchises, and games. It's been incredible to see the growth in the service and the growth of engagement in franchises made available in Xbox Game Pass. We're next looking forward to bringing State of Decay 2 to Xbox Game Pass members on May 22nd, the same day as its global release, as we continue to work to deliver the ultimate gaming membership for our fans.
interesting to see them choose not to show any specific numbers for how games pass is doing

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
They should've saved that "greatest games lineup in Xbox history" tagline for a few years.

If Forza Horizon is there I'm good though