Would you prefer a bit more genre diversity at Playstation Studios?

• Yes

Votes: 882 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 321 26.7%

• Total voters

learning

Jan 4, 2019
Please no console wars, this is just a civil discussion Playstation Studios' current and future output, and the types of games explored.

I think that PS Studios has a great lineup. I personally would like them to put some of their top studios on titles that do not fall under the third person action adventure umbrella. How about yourself?

Do you like the current strategy or would you like them to branch to other areas? If so, what would you like?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
JRPGs.

Home consoles would have likely declined in Japan post-DS no matter what Sony did, but deciding to put all three of their JRPG franchises on ice post-PS2 probably didn't help.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Besides 3rd person action adventure games we got some of the following games exclusive on PS4:

Bloodborne
Dreams
Detroit Become Human
Driveclub
Knack
Killzone
MLB The Show
Gravity Rush
The Last Guardian
Gran Turismo
Concrete Genie

Seems pretty diverse to me....

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Besides 3rd person action adventure games we got some of the following games exclusive on PS4:

Bloodborne
Dreams
Detroit Become Human
Driveclub
Knack
Killzone
MLB The Show
Gravity Rush
The Last Guardian
Gran Turismo
Concrete Genie

Don't forget Resogun and Alienation.

Journey, Flower and Flow were all released for PS4 as well. Tetris Effect is a console exclusive.

There's a lot of variety if you look past the AAA GotY output of Sony.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want their studios to do whatever they want to do, Sony shouldn't and I don't think will dictate what their dev's will work on.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I am mostly happy with their line up. The only thing I would like from them is a JRPG. There are few studios in this industry that could compete with the likes of Square budget wise and Sony is certainly one of them.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 has been a massive disappointment in terms of diversity, PS1,2 and 3 had lots of crazy games

Japan studio have been reduced to a joke

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, I really miss Sony's platformers and JRPGs.
We still need Dark Cloud 3 and Legend of Dragoons 2.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Sony as a publisher should fund external development games in genres that aren't currently in development by their internal studios.

But -

The studios themselves should be allowed to make what they want to make, even if it means less diversity.

Oct 25, 2017
Let them do passionate things. Sucker Punch was very passionate about making a game inspired by samurai films. I don't want that their vision would be forced to take another form. Same applies to other developers.

tusk

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Chicago, IL
I'm far more interested in their output like Parappa the Rapper over the endless "I'm a man and I have a gun and we think we're hollywood" games

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Yes I would like to see more diversity there. They kinda feel like Ubisoft right now (no this isnt meant as an insult, I like Ubisoft) - they have a sucessful template they adjust for each franchise and I think their studios are all super talented so that they could do more or rather be a bit more crazy.

I think a first party JRPG franchise would neat for example.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
3rd party publishers pick up the slack for genres that Sony don't focus on. I don't need or want a Sony JRPG, I'll just stick to Persona (5 Royal) and Yakuza 7 thanks very much! I'd prefer Sony to stick to what they are doing now, PS4's lineup has been far better than PS1/3s for me easily, PS2 had a great load of first party games though, but I still prefer 4's.
Hopefully Sony don't change a thing.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony's portfolio is probably plenty diverse. If you look at their first party slate so far in 2020 they've had a game creator(Dreams), An asymmetrical mp shooter(Predator), a linear story based TPS(TLOU2), a VR rail shooter(Iron Man) and an open world action adventure game(GoT).

As with Nintendo people are too focused on what the bigger games are and kind of ignore all of the smaller stuff surrounding them.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I want something similar towards Gears of War for PlayStation, I know Sony can do it and they would do a better job at the story. Only thing bad they would get wrong is the online.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
They have enough diversity , just not everything is AAA, so goes under the radar. And even with that we got something so ambitious as Dreams.
You cannot put tons of money on projects than may fail to recoup.
And sometimes we can see they tried previously and with average success, so why go back?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that they can bring back Resistance on PS5, using Resistance 3 as the blueprint. Insomniac made the best FPS story campaign of last gen, I really want to see what they can pull off with next gen tech and Sony could do with a top tier FPS to round out their portfolio.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad we were all in agreement that Sony still needs a real RPG because Horizon isn't a RPG. Brings a tear to my eye.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Yes please, FPS, Arcade Racers and JRPGs. I'd be happy with Resistance/Killzone remasters too.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Yep. Probably the reason I'm gonna skip ps5 , unless things change . They have the talent . When I saw the ghosts footage I felt like I've already played it before .

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
JRPG is the one major genre they're lacking IMO. Otherwise I feel like their portfolio is more diverse than people give them credit for. Some people think they only make dreary 3rd person games, but look at some of their other output this gen - Dreams, GT Sport, MLB, MediEvil, Astro Bot, Blood & Truth, Killzone SF, Knack, Deracine, Everybody's Golf, The Tomorrow Children, Gravity Rush 2, Predator, Tearaway Unfolded, Driveclub, etc.

BKLorenzo

Banned
Mar 17, 2020
They probably has more genre diversity than any other.

People consider only AA/AAA games forgetting other productions.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Do they publish new games like those, though? Or Echochrome, or rain, or Tokyo Jungle, or Puppeteer, or The Unfinished Swan? It's a worthy question.

They are publishing WiLD which I'd say is an evolution of that type of game, albeit on a much larger scale.

I'm sure the PS5 release will afford us lots of new experiences.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
There is also their VR output like Astrobot, Rigs, and Blood and Truth.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Diversity is always cool but I don't see Sony as being less diverse then any other publisher, you have some FPS, some racing games, some platformers, some linear games, some open worlds etc. They're a bit lacking in RPGs though but outside of that they're fine tbh

Yes I would like to see more diversity there. They kinda feel like Ubisoft right now (no this isnt meant as an insult, I like Ubisoft) - they have a sucessful template they adjust for each franchise and I think their studios are all super talented so that they could do more or rather be a bit more crazy.

Ubisoft is one of the most diverse 3rd party publisher though?

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020

Bloodborne
Dreams
Detroit Become Human
Driveclub
Knack
Killzone
MLB The Show
Gravity Rush
The Last Guardian
Gran Turismo
Concrete Genie

if we're talking AAA games on the level of stuff like Days Gone or Uncharted, definitely not so much.

putting Knack in there to prove a point is not a great sign. stuff like Concrete Genie especially was just sent out to die to the point where barely anyone even knew it existed even on the day of release. the 'genre diversity' is clearly not treated the same in budget or in how its sold.

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Bloodborne
Dreams
Detroit Become Human
Driveclub
Knack
Killzone
MLB The Show
Gravity Rush
The Last Guardian
Gran Turismo
Concrete Genie

Yup but people are just going to focus on trees for some reason.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Singleplayer local JRPGs, non-open world classic action platformers, arcade-style racers, and creative puzzlers are what I miss from them - the kind of stuff you'd have gotten from them in 1998 or something.

They're killing it with their output, but it would be nice to see it expand even more.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
As with Nintendo people are too focused on what the bigger games are and kind of ignore all of the smaller stuff surrounding them.

I think part of what people are feeling is that a lot of "the smaller stuff" is just gone now.

That's not unique to Sony, though. They're just behaving like a triple-A publisher, which is what they are.

vhm74

Oct 30, 2017
Ratchet

Bloodborne
Dreams
Detroit Become Human
Driveclub
Knack
Killzone
MLB The Show
Gravity Rush
The Last Guardian
Gran Turismo
Concrete Genie

Let's not forget:

Tearaway
Little Big Planet
Medievil
MLB The Show
Everybody's Golf
Wipeout Collection
Matterfall
Locorocco/Patapon remasters
VR games
PlayLink games

Pretty diverse indeed

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would I say no?

Of course. Ape Escape is one of the best platformers of all time and they just abandoned it

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
By the way, I'll say this.

Bringing up *insert games that show Sony has broader lineup* is ultimately moot. Everyone approaches these things differently, and yes - some people don't care that Sony has greater diversity in VR and A/AA games, because their main focus is arguing their diversity in the AAA space.

And for some people, the notion that a game is 'narrative-focused' is also a dirty word, even though being story focused doesn't somehow mean the game is lacking in gameplay or whatnot. And vice-versa.

This discussion goes nowhere without shared understanding of where both sides are coming from.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think they have alot of diversity in genres. Every box doesnt need to be checked for them to have a diverse lineup.

What I would like is more arcade racers tho.

By the way, I'll say this.

Bringing up *insert games that show Sony has broader lineup* is ultimately moot. Everyone approaches these things differently, and yes - some people don't care that Sony has greater diversity in VR and A/AA games, because their main focus is arguing their diversity in the AAA space.

And for some people, the notion that a game is 'narrative-focused' is also a dirty word, even though being story focused doesn't somehow mean the game is lacking in gameplay or whatnot. And vice-versa.

This discussion goes nowhere without shared understanding of where both sides are coming from.
I was gonna say....it seems unless its sells X amount or isnt getting x amount of awards, popularity, or has a specific budget.... it must not count. Even looking at the more popular games its more diverse than some make.

Context and nuance is thrown out the window for these discussions.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Ratchet

Let's not forget:

Tearaway
Little Big Planet
Medievil
MLB The Show
Everybody's Golf
Wipeout Collection
Matterfall
Locorocco/Patapon remasters
VR games
PlayLink games

Pretty diverse indeed

Including remasters and collections of the more unique games they used to make (Wipeout, LocoRoco, Patapon) probably isn't as convincing as you hope it is.

Japi

Banned
Oct 14, 2019

But they are not like ubisoft though, and they do not use a template, "well playstation isnt", unisoft is like a well oiled machine that have 15 studios working on a single game in 2 years. SONY doesn't tell or direct first party vision, they make whatever thay want to make so if they are inspired by the each other so b it.

I'm pretty sure we'll be the same ones complaining when sony really do become like ubisoft. No one wants a publisher to tell devs what they should or should make

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I want them to produce great games first and foremost, not tick boxes. I'm also happy to see that they generally don't bother with genres that are already saturated (e.g. first person shooter). More diversity is obviously a good thing, but their output is diverse as it is. They have a handful of games that overlap one another to some degree, but the quality of those games is sufficient to make it satisfactory.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
People are basically asking for AAA budgets for niche genres with low ROI which is a fantasy imo. People forget that last gen stuff like MAG and Pupeteer bombed hard.