Votes: 460 42.0%
  • No

Votes: 518 47.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 117 10.7%

• Total voters

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
I constantly read rumours about Sony bringing a new handheld back to the market in a similar vain to the PSP2. This has got me excited as I loved my PSP and Vita.

Assuming the specs bring it somewhere in between PS4 to PS5 performance, and available for around $349, would you be be interested in buying one?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust Sony's ability to support their secondary hardware. Now with the Switch and Steam Deck existing, there's no use case for another Sony handheld imo

ket

Jul 27, 2018
sony abandons their additional gaming hardware so often that i wouldn't buy a PSP2 until i see that it's still being substantially supported like 5 years after it launched.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
After my Vita survived only thanks to imports later in the life...probably not. Especially after how quickly PSVR2 went through life.

I'd definitely be tempted, but for $350, I'd rather choose a Steam Deck successor or Nintendo's device both of which their store's are pretty diverse or they are their main gaming device.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not. Sony is having a tough time getting software out for its main console as well as its VR machine, it would be ridiculous and ass backwards for them to even attempt such folly.

cw_sasuke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, its already difficult to justify another non-Nintendo portable and i would rather just get a PC portable like the SD 2 or the next ROG Ally.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The best bet is for Sony to create a handheld that can play the entire PS4 library and select PS5 games that're patched/ported over. Add to that emulated PS1/PS2/PSP games and possibly PS3/PSV games if/when they create emulators, and then also factor in the ability to stream via Remote Play and PS+ Premium cloud streaming, and there you have a solid offering that doesn't require its own dedicated library of games and could continue to receive patched/ported games throughout the rest of this gen on a title by title basis.

It'd likely be priced around $499 or so though.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but that's only because with the Vita, Sony figured out how to design GOAT tier handhelds and I think they've still got it.

I want to see what they come up with.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
No. Nintendo + Steam Deck (& and other PC handleds) already fill the handheld niche. Also almost never provides good support to their secondary hardware.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Without committed developer support? Nope. Might be open to a machine that plays legacy titles.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Not if it had a specialized set of games.

I'd only want one if it runs some type of Linux or PC with support to play Steam games, or if it's a requirement for games to make a version for PS5 and a version for PSP2 (like Series X and Series S).

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I will buy any console that has great games I can't play anywhere else.

For that reason, based on Sony's behavior as of late - no, there's no reason for me to buy it because the entire library is going to come to PC anyway.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
For that much not a chance. Besides, Sony has repeatedly shown that they don't care about anything that's not the current home system so even less likely. I'd only consider it if then memory situation wasn't dumb, it has been out for a few years with actual support, has support for at least my PSP and Vita games, and is no longer over $200 MSRP.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd be there day one. I've been on a handheld kick lately and want all of em.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I think the question is, why haven't anyone voting here bought a PC Handhald yet...if they were interested in handheld gaming. BECAUSE, there will not be many (if at all)1st party mobile games. Hell 1st party Sony games would actually be available on PC Handhelds.

so actually maybe I would... but only if it were a Sony designed PC Handheld. (I own the old Sony portable PC, so for old times sake)

Dec 2, 2017
I thought there were rumours Sony was working on something that could play digital PS4 games natively? I'll buy that for sure.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
No. Even though I only care about a few Ninendo games, I would expect them to smash Sony again and get more third party support.

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
Ignoring flexibility and formfactor edavntages, paid online prices and all those factors:

Steam deck has Sony exclusive and much much more games

Switch 2 could have more games on top on many many more real exclusives(and eventually some Sony games)

Sony handheld could have less games and less exclusives, but could have a combination of timed exclusives not on steam and some 3rd party not on switch and could be viable for some but considering the multiplat direction of Sony and switch 2 increasing 3rd party support I think it would be less interesting as a option:)

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I doubt it. Don't see why third parties would particularly flock to it over the other handheld on the market, which is well supported by first party software. I loved my PSP but it had a ton of unique software for it. Vita was less appealing to me so I never bought it.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I would be interested in a PS5 Portable (which is practically impossible). A dedicated PSP after every secondary console that Sony has released in the last 2 decades? Lol, lmao even

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
No, mostly because they already proved they can't support a second device pretty harshly. The Switch already has all the offerings a Sony portable would get, so without their support, meh.

Zerpette

Jun 23, 2023
I wouldn't be interested, but they should add cloud streaming to the Portal. That would probably get me to upgrade to PS+ Premium.

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
I would but don't feel like it would have any success, felt like I was the only idiot in my circle paying for my games back in the day everybody just pirated.

PieGB

Jun 11, 2024
No. Sony wouldn't have the exclusives and for third party stuff a steam deck would always be better.

Deleted member 35800

Dec 10, 2017
I would only buy this if it was named the PSP3, not PSP2. Ps Vita is the PSP2 so going with that name would be disrespectful to the Vita.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
How could anyone decide on whether or not they would buy a gaming console without knowing its game lineup

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
"Specs around PS4/5 and retailing for 350 bucks". Yeah, and its gonna play my entire Steam and Nintendo library... seriously, I get the feeling people dont know how impossible that's gonna be, just look at the handheld PC market and prices, then show me one that's doing that sort of thing (at all), and for that cheap.

And no, I dont want Sony to do this. It takes long enough for first party games on the PS5 to release, so supporting a new platform is out of the question.

And no, adding another scu isnt a good idea either, that just puts more pressure on devs the same way the Series S does. Focus just on the PS5, and PC.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing that they're struggling to get enough games out on their main console i wouldn't trust them to support a handheld enough