signal

Oct 28, 2017
Exerciselords, how many supplements do you take and are most of them scammy? Protein seems fine enough if you aren't getting enough in your diet, but how about things like BCAAs or Glutamine or Pre-Workout or etc. 🤔 ?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly you dont need them, just eat right and do have extra proteins. really only good if you are trying to bulk up like crazy but from me going from shake to none and working out for weeks it really didnt make a huge difference per-say.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Zero.

I do like Vitamin D, but that's not a workout thing.

Whey is a just cheap form of protein. Whole food is just as good. It's not magical.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
They can be useful but they're assisting you, not doing the actual work. Don't expect a miracle or anything close. That said I find I've actually injured myself easier using certain supplements as I've gone too hard, too fast whereas doing the same routines without I've had no issues.

DerAuto

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
So first of all you can get enough by simply eating enough, sure. In my experience it's pretty difficult. I drink a Protein Shake everyday for extra gains. Additionally I take a spoon of Creatine everyday to increase the amount of weight I can lift. So there are supplements which are pretty helpful.
The most important things in working out are sticking to your plan no matter what, going to your limits every time you hit the gym, eating enough and resting well between the workouts. There are no shortcuts.

tl;dr
In my experience most supplements are trash except Protein and Creatine.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly you dont need them, just eat right and do have extra proteins. really only good if you are trying to bulk up like crazy but from me going from shake to none and working out for weeks it really didnt make a huge difference per-say.
I don't really have any desire to buy any tbh, I just often encounter them when buying other stuff and wonder. The only thing I've heard from friends that has been actually 'helpful' is preworkout sometimes but it sounds more like an amphetamine lol.

All I take is certain vegan protein powders.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
echoing others here - used to do a pre workout, now i just drink a tea. sometimes still do syntha-6 whey but ever doc i know says just eating chicken/etc is better.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I don't really have any desire to buy any tbh, I just often encounter them when buying other stuff and wonder. The only thing I've heard from friends that has been actually 'helpful' is preworkout sometimes but it sounds more like an amphetamine lol.

All I take is certain vegan protein powders.
yeah pre-workout is pretty much just a shot of caffine.

Philosopher

Sep 5, 2018
Protein is helpful in recovery, especially if have crazy workouts and try getting back at it really quickly. But like others have said, you can also adapt and not use protein and be fine after a week or 2 of extra pain. I use protein shakes mostly as meal replacement sometimes if I want to keep my calories down for day or 2 or whatever.

slow-twitch

Oct 25, 2017
I only use maltodextrin and protein supplement in very high mileage weeks where I can't possibly meet my required energy intake level from real food alone without feeling bloated.

Supplements are either just stuff you can get from real food or placebo at best when they claim to be more than that.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Pre workout and protein are legit, though pre workout has kinda been sucking the past few years since they banned Jack3d. I don't get that focus anymore. Still good if you're in a rush in the morning and better than coffee.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I don't know, they're too expensive for me to even give a try lol. I buy protein bars when on clearance and cheap protein powders when I need extra protein.

Nov 13, 2017
Preworkout does work if you're really tired and want to feel tingly. BCAAs during your workout are fun because it tastes like gatorade. Other than that, protein if you want to build muscle. Creatine if you want to look bulky.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Caffeine pills have given me the most bang for my buck (so would coffee but that just makes me pee too much before lifting)

EAAs have a potential use if you're doing fasted training and didn't have time to eat beforehand... honestly I just really enjoy the strawberry flavor of the one I take, otherwise I try to eat banana oatmeal a few hours beforehand

Whey and Casein protein powder are great for quickly tracking protein intake and are versatile when making other foods (try making french toast with protein shake as a base, or mixing water/milk with casein to make a pudding).

Oct 29, 2017
The pre workout drinks used to scare me. I tried some and I would get jittery. For me, I normally drink an protein shake at times when I'm hungry, but eating isn't feasible. I do use an multi vitamin just so I take guess work out of food consumption.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Other than protein and creatine, the only supplement I ever took that I felt like it worked was ephedrine, waaaaay back in the day when it was still legal in the US. But that was for losing weight, not for teh gainz.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and foreverâ„¢
Sep 24, 2019
Tried BCAAs once and they did absolutely jack shit for me. The tried and true:

Pre-workout: For when you're kinda gassed from a long work day or week and need to get cocaine fueled in minutes.

Protein Powder: For immediately after working out. I'm basically never hit by DOMS because I go heavy on protein near the end of a workout and right at the finish.

Multi-vitamin: For the days where I eat like a moron and get little to no nutritional value. It's like a stopgap and you piss out the excess, but it's a good placebo for me haha.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I used to try them, but they always gave me extreme stomach issues... I'm talking major bloating and constipation. This was with various forms of protein (whey, pea, etc.) and creatine. I never could understand or pinpoint a common ingredient causing it

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
The only supplement I use is basic, unflavored whey protein concentrate. And the way I use it's basically food. I could get the same thing really from a piece of roasted chicken, but the protein is just out of convenience. I buy the cheapest unflavored whey protein concentrate that I can find and have one serving with dinner. I don't time it without my workout or anything like that.

I've heard from enough reasonable, smart people that creatine is helpful, so I've considered that but never tried.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
OP, hear from me another begginer who has been sucked in the supplements marketing.

1- Whey Protein - It's only useful if you REALLY can't eat enough proteins daily. Do the maths, many people can easily reach their target if they eat smartly (eggs, milk, chicken breast are life savers(

2- BCAA - With a good diet you reach the daily targets, chicken is full of this. Unnecessary, even more for a begginer.

3- Creatine - I think it's the only supplement that's it's hard to consume in a diet, but the results only arrive if you eat 5g per day and only after a month. It helps A LITTLE your performance, so these who defends this one say that the continuous use for years can make a difference. But this one doesn't do miracles, it's just a small help that frankly you don't really need it. And it's only if you are sure you will be for a loooong ride.

4- Pre workout - It just a blend of cheap protein and carbs, and sometimes caffeine, if you eat sweet potatoes and chicken before it's much better than that.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I use pre-workout because it basically floods my body with sugar and caffeine and helps me go a bit longer. I'm getting up there in age (38) and own a company and am often about to fall asleep when I hit the gym, so it's useful.

I drink BCAAs because they taste good? I'm sure the bro science on them is iffy.

I don't take creatine or protein, but my go-to sports are boxing and bouldering/sport climbing and bulk aint exactly useful in either. If you want to gain muscle, take those.

Charcoal

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pre-workout makes my face itch and makes me feel like I have to shit my pants. Absolutely love it.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
OP, hear from me another begginer who has been sucked in the supplements marketing.

1- Whey Protein - It's only useful if you REALLY can't eat enough proteins daily. Do the maths, many people can easily reach their target if they eat smartly (eggs, milk, chicken breast are life savers(

2- BCAA - With a good diet you reach the daily targets, chicken is full of this. Unnecessary, even more for a begginer.

3- Creatine - I think it's the only supplement that's it's hard to consume in a diet, but the results only arrive if you eat 5g per day and only after a month. It helps A LITTLE your performance, so these who defends this one say that the continuous use for years can make a difference. But this one doesn't do miracles, it's just a small help that frankly you don't really need it. And it's only if you are sure you will be for a loooong ride.

4- Pre workout - It just a blend of cheap protein and carbs, and sometimes caffeine, if you eat sweet potatoes and chicken before it's much better than that.
Was more interested in the discussion, I don't think I plan to buy any of them lol.

Also vegan so my protein (powder) intake isn't whey. Usually pea and rice and other stuff.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Outside of protein and I believe creatine most supplements are kinda pointless unless you have a need for then. And even for those you can get an adequate amount of those two with a good diet. I do take a multivitamin since I need a vitamin D supplement and may as well get 20 others and I take fish oil out of habit.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
how jacked prisoners can get on gruel really made me focus less on protein intake (beyond generally trying to keep carbs lower and protein higher i don't manage it much )

all i look at is cal intake, if a supplement helps you reach your desired cals i'd go for it

don't even get me started on all the various scandals that protein supplements have had over the years... misleading nutrition facts, questionable ingredients etc.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Pre-workout is nice for the tingle, but it's way too expensive.

Protein powder is foundational for me. Gets me across the finish line because I like to not have to constantly inhale meat for every meal and eat some occasional trash. It's also just a hell of a meal replacement if you prepare it right.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I took BCAAs before but never noticed a difference. Never needed creatine either.

If you eat right, you don't really need to take anything other than protein shakes. I've been weightlifting for over 20 years and never needed a pre-workout or creatine.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I'm never without my preworkout. I've used a bunch of shit and have been on EVL's "ENGN SHRED" for years now and love it. Of course the effects aren't like they used to be but it still works and I recently started putting a second scoop in my water and hitting that throughout the workout.

Also love my RSP TrueFit protein (cinnamon churro flavor). So good.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I used to think BCAAs were necessary for fasted workouts (i do IF) but it seems that's been debunked so i wouldn't bother with those at all now

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stopped whey protein for two reasons:

1) Hard to find ones that aren't loaded with trash;
2) accelerated baldness. Unless you're going for the rock size, not worth it imo

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I guess protein powder if you can't get your protein through food. And maybe vitamin D with quarantine and leaving the house less.
You really don't need to take supplements

Deleted member 29293

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Creatine is fine and pre-workouts solely for the caffeine (you can use any other source as well or no caffeine if you don't want any). Protein shakes if you don't get enough protein in your diet.

Oct 31, 2017
Magnesium is helpful to prevent muscle soreness. I do a pre-workout drink to help wake up (I work out early). Coffee with sugar would probably do the same thing. Protein drink after lifting workouts (my breakfast). Otherwise all my supplements are for boosting immune function, reducing inflammation & improving blood circulation, not related to workouts.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much agree with most people. Creatine is a small boost and it's cheap af. Protein is good to supplement your diet.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I take Protein, Casein, BCAA, andddd Pre-Workout. The Pre-Workout HAS to have DMAA in it. Otherwise I won't even bother 😅

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I think supplements are fun to take. They might be placebo, but when I was doing a lot of shakes with a super intense diet, I became a monster very quickly.