Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017

Happy Mother's Day friends and visitors I hope you guys make it a fruitful one with any of the moms in your life. That said I'm in a bit of a hurry with this week's thread and off the jump I have to cop to an error in the film banners. You see I tend to just google for the posters during editing and when I searched 'Netflix Hypnotic poster' I got a promo for a 2021 psychological thriller by Netflix, and not the 2023 psychological thriller by Netflix that uses the exact same name and apparently, premise. But because I don't have a ton of time today (see above) I'm choosing to leave it in so I can focus on the small creative writing assignment I give myself every week. Honestly it's hilarious that this is a thing Netflix has done, so if you feel like watching both movies to compare and contrast you are welcome to report back in here because although I *had* heard of the Affleck one I'd never heard of the Kate Siegel version (prequel? prototype?).

Back to the numbers we're still very much in Marvel's/Super Mario's world for now, the quality of the former has triumphed over early trepidation that kept presales sluggish until the very end and we can finally stop talking about superhero fatigue. Or not, because who knows what will happen in the future and some Online Hot Take Wars are never allowed to end. 2023 is more about individual film reception than brand trust guaranteeing success so talk of 'fatigue' really isn't discussing the heart of the matter, theatergoers will pay to see good movies and spend there money elsewhere if their needs are not met. This is normal behavior.

The Rowdy Old Lady Road Trip Cinematic Universe chugs along following 80 for Brady with the Book Club Sequel. I know these movies don't need to review well to succeed. Counterprogram a small budget against a release window where all the young men are watching cape flicks and say 'hey other, frequently neglected audience I got something for you' and bang, money. Directors have built decades-long careers around this strategy so don't knock the hustle.

Next weekend is the first installment of what is promised to be a...trilogy(???) concluding the Fast Franchise and BOY does it have an uphill climb, especially with The Little Mermaid coming to eat into its plf dollars seven days later and an absolutely LOADED June release schedule ready to take it out at the knees if audience reception is tepid. Personally I'm very excited for June. What's on your checklist?

ZzZdMSL.png

CTUPA5x.png

V0nMNMo.png

EjY0Bin.png

The weekend box office continues to be a place of haves and have-nots, with Disney/Marvel Cinematic Universe's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 posting the best second weekend hold for a Marvel Cinematic Universe title post-pandemic at a great -51% with $58M. That's better than the -55% second weekend holds of the two previous GOTG movies.

Furthermore, there isn't any lower ticket pricing in place by exhibition like there was on the previous Fifth Season theatrical release, 80 for Brady, which starred Book Club 2 actress Fonda with cinematic buddy Lily Tomlin. That might have been a great idea here for circuits to practice. How else to open a movie to $12.7M during the winter around Super Bowl weekend (there's also a theory that the 'Brady' in the title got some guys dragged along with their better halves). However, there's nothing for guys to tag along to here, with 73% women showing up for Book Club 2, and the largest quad being over 55 at 47%.

Sony has the service deal for Toei Animation's Knights of the Zodiac. The pic's grosses were $220K for Friday at 600 theaters, for a 3-day of $470k. So-so numbers in LA, San Diego, NYC and San Francisco, but that's it.

(Click image for full chart)

Worldwide Updates:

View: https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/1657760122473680904?s=20

View: https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/1657761951433515008?s=20

View: https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/1657776160150028290?s=20

Weekend Box Office Archive (Updated 2023-05-07) and Appendix

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario beating Frozen 1 is looking like a done deal. That's a decent hold.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I'm happy to see Guardians holding so well, movie was actually its own movie and the best I've seen from Marvel in years.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, interesting to see GOTG have the opposite trajectory of recent MCU movies - instead of an inflated opening weekend and a harsh drop, it was a soft opening weekend and (presumably) good legs. Exceptional comic book movies can still gain traction, no doubt about that.

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing hold for GotG3. The Groot-sized legs on thus movie.

Starting this week, get ready.

Every movie from mid-May to mid-July is gonna be in a dogfight.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I hope GoTG3 continues having legs. It's honestly the best thing to come from the MCU since No Way Home (and to a lesser extent for me, Doctor Strange 2).

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Much like ZeoVGM said, there is no Marvel fatigue, just bad reactions to a bad looking, badly executed film like Quantumania.

The movies done during the Pandemic and Chapek's demands for D+ content are now done and internal rumors were that GOTG3 (now confirmed) Secret Invasion, The Marvels and Loki S2 are all very good to great in testing and had smooth development.

The MCU is fine and should remain fine.

You wanna see actual doom and fatigue? Look at us Transformers/Beast Wars fans ):

Rule of thumb, if weekly grifter videos about a franchise being dead and buried and the worst thing ever and fans are never coming back get thousands of views, then that franchise is absolutely not dead nor doomed.

Again look at transformers, no one even bothers to make Transformers fatigue think pieces ):

OP
OP
Gentlemen

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The fundamental problem with 'fatigue' narratives is the implication it gives that fans won't show up regardless of quality. Folks aren't tired of the movies they're tired of the bad movies.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
The fundamental problem with 'fatigue' narratives is the implication it gives that fans won't show up regardless of quality. Folks aren't tired of the movies they're tired of the bad movies.

This is basically me. Have been pretty lukewarm on marvel stuff lately, but guardians 3 was great and reignited my enjoyment of the franchise.

May 14, 2021
They sure did have a choice originally. Though IIRC it was someone at Disney that made the call to cut ties, not Marvel specifically
At least he did them a solid on the way out. They needed it because post endgame has been yuuuuck.

Yep. Never get sick of quality. But I do get sick of high priced garbage.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's the best MCU drop in fucking ages. Hoping to see it next weekend

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
let him go? its not like they had any choice. they probably made him a great offer but he wanted to make dc stuff.

didnt all this started because marvel fired him because the internet found some controversial statements of him in the past? but then public pressure (even batista said he would not done guardians 3 if Gunn is not the director) they rehired again.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
didnt all this started because marvel fired him because the internet found some controversial statements of him in the past? but then public pressure (even batista said he would not done guardians 3 if Gunn is not the director) they rehired again.
alan horn (trump fanboi) fired him, not marvel. feige was fuming and refused to look for a new gotg3 director and "forced" disney to re-hire him. we will never get the all the details but yeah: it was a major fuck-up. but marvel studios had nothing to do with it.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
alan horn (trump fanboi) fired him, not marvel. feige was fuming and refused to look for a new gotg3 director and "forced" disney to re-hire him. we will never get the all the details but yeah: it was a major fuck-up. but marvel studios had nothing to do with it.
thanks, didnt remembered the story well, but what i was trying to say is that probably that incident let DC and Gunn getting close. I even remember that after gunn being fired, inmediately there was rumors of him going to DC

Oct 27, 2017
It's poetic that GotG3 smashed the "Marvel fatigue" narrative considering the first GotG also stomped the "Marvel bubble is about to burst" narrative.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It's poetic that GotG3 smashed the "Marvel fatigue" narrative considering the first GotG also stomped the "Marvel bubble is about to burst" narrative.

To tell the people in 2013 that the "Talking Raccoon" would eventually get a whole movie dedicated to him and that it got people to cry and reinvigorated the Marvel franchise.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To tell the people in 2013 tha the "Talking Raccoon" would eventually get a whole movie dedicated to him and that it got people to cry and reinvigorated the Marvel franchise.

Go back to Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3. People we asking why Rocket Racoon was in the game instead of the 8th X-Men character when that game launched.

Oh how times change.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said in the other thread, I don't know what the future holds for the MCU, but this is a good sign for the upcoming DCEU reboot.

kowhite

May 14, 2019

Ha Alan Horn is far away from a Trump fanboy. Otherwise this is correct.

Oct 28, 2017
I was part of that GOTG second wave this weekend. Really good movie, sharp writing and excellent performances all around, and it was fun to have a straight-up detestable villain again. But I don't see anything on the horizon from Marvel that's gonna get me back anytime soon. The Marvels trailer did zilch for me, and I liked Captain Marvel ok. Bring on the X-Men!