Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

'Toy Story 4' Holds Down No. 1 With $58M+ Before 'Spider-Man' Swoops In, 'Annabelle 3' Stabs 31M+ 5-Day, 'Yesterday' $17M+
Moviegoers continued to flock to Disney/Pixar's Toy Story 4 which saw a 23% rise in business on its second Saturday from Friday with $23M heading toward a slightly higher second weekend of $58.4M (current industry estimate this AM, Disney will report soon), down only 52%. Though solid, especially for a sleepy weekend prior to the anticipated domination of Sony/Marvel's Spider-Man: Far From Home (ComScore is seeing an estimated $152M weekend for all titles, -15% from a year ago), it's a take that's behind the second weekends of Incredibles 2 ($80.3M), Finding Dory ($73M), and even Toy Story 3 ($59.3M). Toy Story 4's 10-day total of $237.3M is pacing 5% ahead of Toy Story 3 at the same point in time (which ended its run at $415M domestic), so it's future will be bright. ComScore/Screen Engine PostTrak exits remain strong in weekend 2 at 4 1/2 stars each for general audiences (70% of business), kids under 12 and families, (combined 30%).

Actually, the big news this weekend is overseas where Far From Home is killing it in China, Japan and Hong Kong with an anticipated $110M weekend. By next Sunday, worldwide, it won't be a shocker if Far From Home has a running total close to or at $500M. Interestingly enough, no previews for Far From From tomorrow night; the movie starts cold on Tuesday morning.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Toy Story 4- $496.5m
Aladdin- $874.2m
John Wick 3- $303.6m
Yesterday- $24.7m
Annabelle Comes Home- $76.2m

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

Spider-Man on its way for $1B+
Sony must be happy after MIB which probably won't break even

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Yesterday was a fun, good time. Worth going to see if you like that music or Ed Sheeran.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cross posting from previous thread:

For reference:

Venom opened to $107m in China and did $272m total.
AQUAMAN opened to $94m and did $298m total.

We may have a $300m China haul for FFH.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
PqiSHAy.gif

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Avatar's Special Edition's per-theater average was almost twice of Endgame's re-release.

What happened to greatest pop culture event in human history?

Has it been...forgotten?

5fc893e2d9d85c1fc6042383d65af87571849f2f_hq.gif

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
Avatar was the better movie so it makes sense that it made more money. The market rewards quality.
Plus, it didn't need 10 years of mostly mediocre movies to do it.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Poor marvel , they really want that title from Cameron lol.

Toy story 4 going to have the same legs as Aladdin this summer?

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still amazed at how bad MiB, Godzilla and Dark Phoenix have performed and they all came out in quick succession too.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
May go watch Avengers: Endgame again tomorrow (I've seen it once during premiere day. It's also without the extras but those are on youtube) but I honestly don't have much of an urge to see it again currently. I would see it just cause I'll go watch Spider-Man: Far From Home on Tuesday morning.

And as a huge Marvel fan, I'm glad about the haul it did. $2.761b is one hell of a feat. And while I like the MCU more than Avatar, I thought Avatar was quite a fine movie as well, especially the extended edition.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
We may have a $300m China haul for FFH.

That is very unlikely to happen. The Chinese box office is very front loaded(for Hollywood movies anyways) and most don't even reach a 2x multiplier. Those 2 you mentioned are outside of the norm though and actually had what was considered amazing legs for Hollywood movies in the China market. If FFH can reach 200 million with that opening, it would already be considered a pretty good accomplishment. Hoping for 300 million would require one hell of a run which isn't likely.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
Expect some jimmies to be rustled with this lol
Can't control how peeps deal with reality.
If they were viewed as mediocre the box office wouldn't keep climbing
The market ain't perfect.
It just needed one mostly mediocre movie :)
They'll keep them coming, people need to do something with their time, watching mediocre movies ain't so bad
In other news, the Spider-Man 1 Billy train has left the station!

giphy.gif
Mad Max Fury Road, Another movie better than that Endgame mess.
PS. Facts aren't bait.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I find what we pay attention to for records to be strange. Endgame surpassed Avatar's original run so I feel like that's all that should matter. And then if Marvel does a Special Edition-esque re-release, that is a different record to look at.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Avatar was the better movie so it makes sense that it made more money. The market rewards quality.
IIYq0Wn.gif

It's pretty clear this isn't the same thing nor was it meant to be. Very strange comparison to make.
You're right, it's not quite the same. One movie was re-expanded to over 2,000 screens, the other one to just 800. One movie has a an army of fans behind it doing free marketing for it, and they were even throwing you a free poster.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find what we pay attention to for records to be strange. Endgame surpassed Avatar's original run so I feel like that's all that should matter. And then if Marvel does a Special Edition-esque re-release, that is a different record to look at.

Except in the history of box office, dating back to Gone With The Wind, this is not the case. It may be in your reality though.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
With the sequel being in development for over a decade it should surely out gross avatar easily. And bring 3d back to the mainstream. Soon manufactures will be unveiling the next gen of 3d tvs, bluray players,ipads, etc. All thanks to avatar 2, a generational film that will change how you look at movies and 3d...again!

konka

Oct 25, 2017

That is never how this has been tracked

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
So since we don't want to see certain things...avatar bet that FFH doesn't make a Billy? Who's doing it? I think the only way you can hurt me is having to have a Tom Holland avatar. For me you'd need a Garfield avy

Status
Not open for further replies.